Forum Settings
Forums
New
which is better: the rose of versailles manga or the rose of versailles anime?
Jan 8, 2012 6:04 PM
Dec 2010
I'm sorry if i should have put this in another section. even though I've been on the site for a year or so now, I'm not too familiar with the forums.

i was just wondering if the rose of versailles manga or anime was better in the opinions of the series' fans. i hope that this can be answered by someone. thank you very much for your help.
May 16, 2012 8:38 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I don't know how well the manga is since the series was never officially translated into English (and never made it into America). Also considering how old the series is, copies are very hard to come by so scanlation updates are stagnant. The only reason why I would say you should go for the anime is because the entire series has already been subbed in English and readily available online.

Plot-wise, I don't believe there is too much variation. There is probably more details in the manga than the anime (which is usual), but I believe both are of excellent quality.
Nov 18, 2012 1:50 PM
Jul 2018
It's been a bit since this thread was made, but just in case anyone wants an opinion now that the manga's been fully translated...

sketchy333 said:
Plot-wise, I don't believe there is too much variation. There is probably more details in the manga than the anime (which is usual), but I believe both are of excellent quality.

It's the opposite actually. The anime went more in-depth into Oscar's early years and expanded slightly on other parts of the series. I'd personally say the changes were mostly for the better, especially with some scenes towards the end of the manga. The last scene between Oscar and Marie Antoinette had more of an impact, and while both versions of the epilogue take a more distant approach to the story than the rest of the series, the anime at least tries to wrap things up by showing the impact Oscar had on the characters, whereas the manga just kind of ends, and at a pretty bad spot to boot.

It also seemed like the manga was a bit more over-dramatic than the anime. Some of the techniques the author used to show the anguish and emotion of the characters in the manga went overboard at times (Towards the end it seemed like there was a shot every other page of some character hovering in between panels [metaphorically] naked for whatever reason to show the depths of their emotion which got a bit silly after a while). The anime is very theatrical as well, but I don't remember it going to quite the same extremes the manga did.

The main downside I can see to the anime versus the manga is that the narrator has more of a role there and tends to spoil the plot (if you're familiar with the history of the French Revolution, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it still disrupts the mood of the story and is pretty annoying).

The content's pretty similar in both, and it's definitely worth experiencing both versions of the story if you've seen one and liked it, but I personally preferred the anime and would recommend it over the manga.
Feb 14, 2013 5:54 AM

Jul 2011
for the old guy like me manga. AINEC

anime very good, though

More topics from this board

» How Many Chapters does it have

Ethrex - Jul 31, 2023

3 by Ethrex »»
Aug 5, 2023 10:33 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Chapter 82 Discussion

LaRose - Jan 4, 2013

3 by EmmyMoomin »»
Jul 20, 2023 1:02 AM

» Anyone know where I can buy physical volumes in English?!?

izzy4273 - Feb 3, 2022

2 by vivedreams »»
Apr 10, 2023 8:43 PM

» NEW ANIME PROJECT (leak)

GiIiLDartZ - Jul 7, 2022

2 by tsubasalover »»
Sep 6, 2022 3:00 PM

» LEAK: New anime project to celebrate the manga’s 50th anniversary

AbelDande - Jul 7, 2022

0 by AbelDande »»
Jul 7, 2022 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.