Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2012 2:25 PM
Dec 2007
Nice start for this old fashioned sports/shonen anime, except for the 3D-animated balls which are absolutely awful (they seem like slow-mo actually).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 8, 2012 6:05 PM

Sep 2008
belatkuro said:
SoFarGone said:
Unfortunately I could see this one getting dropped by a lot of people. Not me of course since I enjoy the manga.
Forget dropping, the numbers watching this are surprisingly low according to the stats page and compared to the other Winter shows.

It's a sports anime. Most people pass them off as 'I don't like sports' and entirely miss what the genre is really about.

Dinamet7 said:
velcom said:
I enjoyed it, but it seems like it is trying to copy Touch in too many ways. It will never top Touch quite frankly.

This is exactly what I thought. It's setting up a very similar kind of story only with more typical anime characters and based on soccer instead of baseball.

In my book, Touch was a practically perfect anime, so I'm hoping I'll be able to watch and enjoy this one without constantly thinking "Touch did it better" because Area doesn't seem like a bad anime and I probably wouldn't have thought twice if I hadn't seen (and loved) Touch.

Yea like I enjoyed it probably because it felt familiar to Touch, yet I will likely be comparing it the whole damn time. And I certainly agree, it's a near perfect series and one of my favourite shows ever.
Jan 8, 2012 10:33 PM

Jul 2011
great start for Touch...ehmm...Area no Kishi i mean
Jan 9, 2012 9:46 AM

Jan 2010
never read/watched Touch, but I've seen ADS!
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1327/Aoki_Densetsu_Shoot!
from first ep they look so damn alike. Three boys watching soccer and dreams about playing side by side with No.10... in soccer club main character is push-over... girl appares... she knows main character, in love with No. 10 and says "Nice shoot'o ;* "
If their super player die [I havent read character bio] I'll drop it, 'cause Shoot is my number one and so Area makes me angree
Jan 9, 2012 11:24 AM
Dec 2011
I've never watched a sport anime before but I actually enjoyed the first episode of this one. I can see it being a predictable anime however.
Jan 9, 2012 12:40 PM

Mar 2008
I can tell already I'm going to love this ;~;
Jan 9, 2012 6:34 PM

Jun 2009
wow the first episode was really good great way to start if you ask me.
Jan 10, 2012 2:16 AM

Jan 2010
Sport anime is always welcomed. This too is not exception. From the start, I knew this will become great series. Very well done for 1st episode. More people should watch this show.

Also, Seven is too hot :)

Jan 10, 2012 5:43 AM

Aug 2007
Nice, another sport anime. :D And I have to say that I'm positively surprised, I really liked the first episode. :3
And... it seems I've read the manga? o.O I totally forgot about that and need to check it out again. Nevertheless: good start and I'll be looking foward to more. :D
Jan 10, 2012 6:04 AM

Jun 2010
It was a pretty good start and has the potential of getting you excited in the games. This anime reminds me of Over Drive
Jan 10, 2012 10:46 AM

Jul 2008
23-26 eps anyone? Giant Killing took that long...although it's actually quite different. lol

11-13 eps more like for this one however.
Jan 12, 2012 12:27 AM

Jun 2009
I haven't been this excited about a manga getting an anime since Bakuman..prob. bc i started reading them b4 the anime came along lol.
Hands down one of the best sports mangas i've ever read and the 1st ep. did not disappoint. I expected Kakeru's voice to be a little deeper though and he seems more child-like than in the manga. maybe by the end he will have grown up a little.

Shigeru's angry face was too scary i had 2 look away XD

Orulyon said:
why...why they portrayed Brazilians all as black people? =_="
They weren't all brown-skinned & besides they're not black...they're Brazillian & they vary widely in color...like brack ppl
Jan 12, 2012 5:15 PM

Dec 2006
I haven't watched any sports anime since Tsubasa Road to 2002 So I'll definetely continue watching this one !!
Jan 12, 2012 6:30 PM

Aug 2010
I actually liked this first episode. I'll definitely be following this show. I love sports animes.
Jan 13, 2012 3:48 PM

Mar 2011
3/5 and 6/10
Jan 14, 2012 1:17 AM

May 2011
Definitely watching this till the end >v< Love Sports anime !!!!

The setting of the first episode kinda reminded me of Hungry Heart. There too one brother was already famous and the other trying to come out from his brother's shadow.

Cant wait for the next :)
Jan 14, 2012 1:51 AM

Aug 2010
I love the manga, and I am so glad this has been adapted to anime! I've enjoyed the first episode very much! Love the animation, and the bits of comedy here and there. And that epic introduction by Jun Fukuyama that makes it looks like the beginning of some Code Geass series! XD
Jan 15, 2012 12:36 PM

Apr 2009
Oh, I love sports anime. No doubt.

I have this wry feeling something is going to happen to the big brother :(
Jan 16, 2012 9:25 PM

Sep 2008
bonifide said:
shanimebib said:
KiraboShikari said:
So bro with loads.......................

Someone forgot to add spoiler tag in Suguru's character description in MAL. If you are interested, you can read it here: Aizawa, Suguru

Just by that spoiler im dropping the anime. LOL. Im mad as hell that my favorite character is going to end up like that.

Wait what. I was considering dropping the series until I read that spoiler.

hmmm not sure because I don't like the story. My dislike is totally unrelated to AnK being a sports anime, just to say.

Also am I the only one to notice that the animation is really bad in terms of being fluid? Feels like watching a powerpoint slideshow sometimes. Soccer ball movement was really awkward.
Jan 20, 2012 4:32 PM

Feb 2010
Oh hey, this is pretty good! Jun Fukuyama plays Suguru well, and Nana is played by Itou Shizuka! Love their voices~
I like how its going so far, lets see how far it goes.
Jan 24, 2012 12:15 PM

Sep 2010
Actually this was pretty nice, hope it will continue to be like that.
Jan 27, 2012 3:31 PM

Sep 2009
Orulyon said:
why...why they portrayed Brazilians all as black people? =_="

Defender in "Lucio mode" dribbling 3 players and with yellow hair xDD. And there were I think one white people cheering up with the brazilian fans xD

bonifide said:

I think the alien is Nana.

So do I.

asckj1 said:
The setting of the first episode kinda reminded me of Hungry Heart. There too one brother was already famous and the other trying to come out from his brother's shadow.

I thought the same :)
"The second place is the first place of the losers"
"God is big, God is strong and when He wants there isn't who wants"
"Everybody has a limit. My limit is over the others"
Ayrton Senna da Silva
------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazilian, Rio, Soccer, Geek, Gamer, Vivaldi Browser mod and beta tester

Apr 2, 2012 1:36 AM

Feb 2008
I didn't think much of the manga, but I hoped that animating the action would make it more interesting. Sadly, the animation for the action scenes sucks so much that it is actually worse than the manga. Not that that's the only problem with this anime, there were many many others.
Nov 11, 2012 2:34 PM

Jan 2012
holy mix review batman..

1st EP was really well done, imo..

I'm guessing it's the moe blob clueless retarded viewers are trying out a sport anime for the first time because they've never gotten from the basement to do anything?

Let's hope I'm right.
Mar 25, 2016 11:06 AM

Jul 2013
Nice start, now I'm wondering who was the person wearing the alien mask. His brother maybe?
Feb 26, 2017 7:29 AM
Aug 2014
So I'm guessing the younger brother is actually more talented than the older and Nana is the alien, not sure what could possible have happened for him to stop using his left foot though.

The football action itself was as poor as all the other football anime I've watched so far; super long straight dribbles with no defensive positioning at all.

So hopefully that the action won't be the main focus.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Area no Kishi Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fantassy - Sep 28, 2012

70 by Zekkenshin »»
Dec 5, 2022 2:39 PM

Poll: » Area no Kishi Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25, 2012

24 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 18, 2022 3:04 PM

Poll: » Area no Kishi Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4, 2012

31 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 18, 2022 1:07 PM

Poll: » Area no Kishi Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2012

20 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 15, 2022 11:11 AM

Poll: » Area no Kishi Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2012

17 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 15, 2022 10:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.