MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Visual Novel Katawa Shoujo, tasteful or tasteless?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Games, Computers & Tech Support »» Visual Novel Katawa Shoujo, tasteful or tasteless?

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
01-07-12, 1:44 AM

medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

I don't care if this is defined as a hentai. Even if it is, this is probably the most well-produced hentai game on the market. Oh god the writing... and Rin's story! *heart attack meme*

That's a big call, if you take into account that Air, Kanon, and Little Bustets! All have eroge versions. (Yes, I'm a Key fan, sue me.)

01-07-12, 5:33 AM

Wondering if I should get this. It's hard to find many bishoujo games without h-scenes...
Just curious about how you skip the h-scenes is there an option to turn them off in the start page or something? Because I use a family computer so I gotta be cautious :/

01-07-12, 6:54 AM

fluttershy said:
Wondering if I should get this. It's hard to find many bishoujo games without h-scenes...
Just curious about how you skip the h-scenes is there an option to turn them off in the start page or something? Because I use a family computer so I gotta be cautious :/
It's in the options menu, simply check the box that says "disable adult content".

As for the OP's question, I really don't find much of anything offensive anymore. Obviously somebody will find something to complain about but I doubt most of the anime community will have a problem with it.

01-07-12, 7:16 AM

It's not stellar but above average and the concept is original, and for people who think this is offensive, not really, I've played things far worse like Daughter Maker.

01-07-12, 10:19 AM

medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

I don't care if this is defined as a hentai. Even if it is, this is probably the most well-produced hentai game on the market. Oh god the writing... and Rin's story! *heart attack meme*

It's pretty average actually, it's actually quite cheap in the art department, the amount of unique sprites and unique scenes is very very low. and like 90% of the backgrounds are just real pictures with a crappy photo shop filter over them.

Also the only really original thing about it is the concept, it's pretty standard fair how each girl's path plays out.There is no major twists or anything you can't see coming from a mile away.

Unlike some thing like Yume Miri Kusuri where one minute I'm romancing a shy girl then all of a sudden I'm helping her choke out her bully until the bully shits her self.

On top of that none of the disabilities of the girls ever really factor into their story, (except maybe Hanako but scars aren't a disability to begin with) there is nothing that needs be over coming or relationship building that happens as a cause of their disabilities. They just have them... The first thing about character writing is never give your characters anything that isn't essential to their Arc, and none of the girls disabilities are essential. The part of their life where they are learning to cope with their problems is already past by the events of the game so it's not important anymore.

Modified by Jigero, 01-07-12, 10:38 AM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.

01-07-12, 12:23 PM

At first I thought this was gonna be realllllllly f**ked up. But against my better judgement I tried it and it was actually pretty tastefully done. They did a pretty good job!

01-07-12, 1:13 PM

medicalmidget said:
Clous said:
Completed emi 100 percent. I was honestly surprised how tasteful the game was.

I felt they didn't make the game so focused on YO THIS BITCH GOTS NO LEGS HEUEHUEHEUHEUE and more on the actual personality of said character, and only used the disabilities as a story device if anything. The writing is done so well, the emotional attachment to the characters is wonderful and I am overall incredibly pleased with the presentation of the whole deal.

Couldn't agree more.

Most well produced... eh. Not sure about that. Little busters still holds that #1 spot for me, but it is definitely a very well made game and easily in my top 3. Emi's character is probably my favorite out of any eroge heroine I have seen though.

01-07-12, 3:57 PM

mitch3315 said:
medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

That's a big call, if you take into account that Air, Kanon, and Little Bustets! All have eroge versions. (Yes, I'm a Key fan, sue me.)
Clous said:
medicalmidget said:
Clous said:
Completed emi 100 percent. I was honestly surprised how tasteful the game was.

I felt they didn't make the game so focused on YO THIS BITCH GOTS NO LEGS HEUEHUEHEUHEUE and more on the actual personality of said character, and only used the disabilities as a story device if anything. The writing is done so well, the emotional attachment to the characters is wonderful and I am overall incredibly pleased with the presentation of the whole deal.

Couldn't agree more.

Most well produced... eh. Not sure about that. Little busters still holds that #1 spot for me, but it is definitely a very well made game and easily in my top 3. Emi's character is probably my favorite out of any eroge heroine I have seen though.

I guess I did take it far... okay, it is a very good visual novel game. And I'm being extremely biased considering this is the only one that I have played.
Modified by medicalmidget, 01-07-12, 4:05 PM

01-07-12, 4:04 PM

Jigero said:
medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

It's pretty average actually, it's actually quite cheap in the art department, the amount of unique sprites and unique scenes is very very low. and like 90% of the backgrounds are just real pictures with a crappy photo shop filter over them.

Also the only really original thing about it is the concept, it's pretty standard fair how each girl's path plays out.There is no major twists or anything you can't see coming from a mile away.

Unlike some thing like Yume Miri Kusuri where one minute I'm romancing a shy girl then all of a sudden I'm helping her choke out her bully until the bully shits her self.

On top of that none of the disabilities of the girls ever really factor into their story, (except maybe Hanako but scars aren't a disability to begin with) there is nothing that needs be over coming or relationship building that happens as a cause of their disabilities. They just have them... The first thing about character writing is never give your characters anything that isn't essential to their Arc, and none of the girls disabilities are essential. The part of their life where they are learning to cope with their problems is already past by the events of the game so it's not important anymore.

True, I did let my emotions go over my better judgement though. I agree, the art and backgrounds are pretty standard, and the part about the disabilities, I think it is both yes and no. Yeah the characters' disabilities don't factor in a whole lot within the story (depends on the character, like Rin), but they do make it more emotional in a sense. I don't know where I'm going with this other then the fact that this game is great. Music, which may be standard also (wouldn't know in terms of Visual Novels), is really good for it though.

01-07-12, 5:28 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I really do love that game. Like i said, emi is #1. You should explore more VN's since you enjoyed katawa so much. Little busters would be my personal recommendation, and seeing as only the all ages version is currently fully translated I think it would be a good transition title. Granted my obvious bias :P

What really makes me happy about this game is how many people its introducing to the VN world. A good visual novel is truly unlike anything else so it makes me pleased to know more people are opening up to the idea.

01-07-12, 5:57 PM

Though I don't have much time for vns, I decided to give this a try. I remained dumbfounded of how good it actually turned out to be. It took half of my night already, even though it should've been dedicated to the project I must present Tuesday. Getting over the obvious procrastination, I really enjoyed it (even though I almost finished Lily's route only -> when I'll have more time, I'll try the other routes as well)

01-07-12, 8:07 PM

Jigero said:

Yeah, except Yume Miru Kusuri isn't free. Unless you know...

01-07-12, 8:39 PM

entropy13 said:
Jigero said:

and your point? I doubt anyone here would have bothered with KS if they had to pay for it.

The main problem with KS was it felt Quality is places it didn't need to be and felt woefully cheap in places where it shouldn't be.

Heck I would have gotten rid of those useless animations after act 1 if it meant I didn't have stare at a character in 1 of only 4 poses they had in 1 of 2 or maybe 3 outfits they wear for the millionth time.

Modified by Jigero, 01-07-12, 8:50 PM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.

01-09-12, 10:36 PM

Dled the game thinking that its a joke...
turns out it was srs bsns D=
Hanako <3

01-10-12, 12:35 AM

Got Lilly's good ending. Damn, that was beautiful. Manly tears, man. ****ing manly tears. I don't even want to play the other routes now. I think I'm going to wait a week or two until I continue on.
"Oh, you want some too?"

01-10-12, 5:43 AM

Jigero said:
entropy13 said:
Jigero said:

and your point? I doubt anyone here would have bothered with KS if they had to pay for it.

The main problem with KS was it felt Quality is places it didn't need to be and felt woefully cheap in places where it shouldn't be.

You're too focused on the demand side of things and ignored the supply side, or should I say, the producers.

Here's a quick walkthrough LOL

01-11-12, 2:19 AM

Overall great game very enjoyable and characters stick to you throughout the character development and it kinda disappointing when it ends so soon but Hanako :3
But that loud bitch Misha should of had a route seriously......
Rerorerorerorerorero. レロレロレロレロ.

01-30-12, 5:46 AM

entropy13 said:
It's a well written VN actually.

I've done Emi's route first yesterday. Took me roughly the same amount of time earlier to do Lilly's route. Right now I'm saving myself some time because I'm going with Hanako's route (and in Act 1 she shares the same "path" with Lilly except for the final choice).

But actually, it seems the main character really has it the worst among the named characters.

And I've already "pigeonholed" some VAs for the characters. lol

Emiri Katou for Emi.
Yui Horie for Lilly.
Aya Hirano for Shizune (because it won't be the first time she "voiced" a character that have no spoken lines LOL).
Eri Kitamura for Rin.
Kana Hanazawa for Hanako (still unsure on this however).
Tomoaki Maeno for Hisao.

If this is in any way an Eroge, none of the people you've mention have done anything +18. Unless they make an CS Version, aka All Age one. Then maybe. I highly doubt either of those 6 seiyuu's will do the sex scenes as they've yet to done it many many years in business.

01-30-12, 3:41 PM

played a few different routes so far

it's enjoyable

<3 lilly

01-31-12, 7:42 AM

This is my first visual novel, just downloaded it going to play it later tonight. :D
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Deurkier&sclick=1][/url]

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices