Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 2012 7:22 PM
Jun 2011
Among a number of gaming news sites, they have been mentioning (and even hyping) the visual novel eroge game Katawa Shoujo. If you don't know what it is about, I recommend you read up on it in the official site...

http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/

This has got me thinking though, as someone from a family well-acquainted with handicapped and the disabled, would you find the game offensive in the way they portray the whole idea of "disabled"? Or do you find that it strikes a nice balance between the way it displays the characters?

Personally I don't find it that all offensive. Yeah it has sexual-themed sections within the game, and one could even argue it is the primary objective, but the writing and personalities of the characters handle the topic with caution, and even respect.

I want this to be an open discussion, and I am curious to hear what everyone has to say. Granted, if this were shown to the media right now, they would have a field day with this one...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 4, 2012 7:32 PM

Aug 2011
i dont find it offensive, i think its very fun, for people who are into that kind of stuff. its not really a big deal, as its just a game right? maybe its becuz im not disabled myself, but think it this way. They are making a gam featuring disabled people. Instead of thinking disabled people are easily offended, and they have no value to the society as nobody would wanna hear anything about them, making a game featuring disabled people as full of life characters means that they are not being biased, contempt, and despising the disabled people. I've been playing it since yesterday, and I love the haruhi suzumiya reference! haha. I don't recommend anyone finding this offensive, as its just another gameo ut there, and i doubt the makers had the intention of offending people with making this in the first place
Jan 4, 2012 7:39 PM
Dec 2011
Is this English?
-MikaJan 4, 2012 7:50 PM
Jan 4, 2012 7:47 PM

Dec 2010
It started off as a joke, and the name reflects that, but the final product is actually somewhat tasteful about it. You can skip the sex scenes entirely and the sex scenes don't contain the usual dongs and cum shots, much to my disappointment.
Don't go in expecting fetish-y cripple sex.

Jan 4, 2012 7:53 PM

Aug 2010
I played the demo and I didn't think it was that tasteless. I'm kind of glad that it is finished. I might finish playing it now.
Jan 4, 2012 7:54 PM

Dec 2010
About damn time. What? Was it too hard to stray from the meek and useless archetype Japan?

I'm Autistic Aspergers and I'm legally blind (aniridia, glaucoma) so a game about disabled people piques my interest. Though my pessimism tells me it'll just dissolve into "Oh I've got so much problems I need to sort out. Could you help me?"

I can't say the media does the disabled any favor. Ranging from freudian excuses to psychopaths to people that are either useless or have given up on life.

So, anyone care to tell me what's with the heroines and their names?
Jan 4, 2012 8:06 PM

Aug 2010
I think the average fucking mentally handicapped girls in those sort of games is far worse.
Jan 4, 2012 8:39 PM

Jun 2007
Was it too hard to stray from the meek and useless archetype Japan?
The game wasn't made in Japan.

KiraboShikari said:
I think the average fucking mentally handicapped girls in those sort of games is far worse.
Right, because any eroge girl who doesn't possess a razor-sharp wit, a lightning-fast mind, and encyclopedic knowledge is "mentally handicapped."
Jan 4, 2012 8:41 PM

Aug 2010
Zalis said:

KiraboShikari said:
Right, because any eroge girl who doesn't possess a razor-sharp wit, a lightning-fast mind, and encyclopedic knowledge is "mentally handicapped."

Uguu~
Jan 4, 2012 8:53 PM

Feb 2005
Well in a genre where pretty much every character is impossibly idealized or otherwise made solely to cater to the audience, I guess it's a fun twist to turn things around a bit.
Still, seeing how all the girls are unmistakeably cute, I guess this too ends up catering in it's own way.
Jan 5, 2012 12:52 PM

Mar 2011
I've never played a VN in my life before but I've got to say if they're all like this one then they must be quite addicting. I got the download from the OP and I logged in some time today, I haven't hit any of the erotic parts but it seems like the issue of disabilities has been handled in a very tasteful manner. The personalities of some of the characters are probably the weirdest thing about any of them. Haha.

notsureifsrs said:

Lol I laughed pretty hard when I read this. Girl is pretty good with her toes though I'm sure...
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Jan 6, 2012 5:49 AM

Apr 2009
notsureifsrs said:

Which is the most disappointing part. I played through all of Emi's route, and then after what happened with Emi I figured there's no way Rin isn't serving up a dish of the most obvious thing she can. What a let down.
Jan 6, 2012 6:25 AM

Dec 2010
Zalis said:
Was it too hard to stray from the meek and useless archetype Japan?
The game wasn't made in Japan.

I know that, I was referring to Japan because of their use of stereotypes. Nice try, though.
Jan 6, 2012 8:33 AM

Jul 2008
It's a well written VN actually.

I've done Emi's route first yesterday. Took me roughly the same amount of time earlier to do Lilly's route. Right now I'm saving myself some time because I'm going with Hanako's route (and in Act 1 she shares the same "path" with Lilly except for the final choice).

But actually, it seems the main character really has it the worst among the named characters.

And I've already "pigeonholed" some VAs for the characters. lol

Emiri Katou for Emi.
Yui Horie for Lilly.
Aya Hirano for Shizune (because it won't be the first time she "voiced" a character that have no spoken lines LOL).
Eri Kitamura for Rin.
Kana Hanazawa for Hanako (still unsure on this however).
Tomoaki Maeno for Hisao.
Jan 6, 2012 8:58 PM
Jun 2011
Agree with what is being said here. So far I finished all of Rin's story and I found it to be really good. Currently on Emi's.

Even though I haven't seen the other scenes yet for the characters, I'm not expecting it to be that terrible (whether degrading or inappropriate). Hell, even Rin's route wasn't as bad as I thought it was.
Jan 6, 2012 9:15 PM

Sep 2008
I don't get it, If Shizune and Lilly are first cousins and their Fathers are bothers, why do they have different last names?
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 6, 2012 11:00 PM

Apr 2010
Completed emi 100 percent. I was honestly surprised how tasteful the game was.

I felt they didn't make the game so focused on YO THIS BITCH GOTS NO LEGS HEUEHUEHEUHEUE and more on the actual personality of said character, and only used the disabilities as a story device if anything. The writing is done so well, the emotional attachment to the characters is wonderful and I am overall incredibly pleased with the presentation of the whole deal.
Jan 7, 2012 12:50 AM
Jun 2011
Clous said:

I felt they didn't make the game so focused on YO THIS BITCH GOTS NO LEGS HEUEHUEHEUHEUE and more on the actual personality of said character, and only used the disabilities as a story device if anything. The writing is done so well, the emotional attachment to the characters is wonderful and I am overall incredibly pleased with the presentation of the whole deal.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't care if this is defined as a hentai. Even if it is, this is probably the most well-produced hentai game on the market. Oh god the writing... and Rin's story! *heart attack meme*
Jan 7, 2012 1:07 AM

Dec 2010
medicalmidget said:
this is probably the most well-produced hentai game on the market. Oh god the writing... and Rin's story! *heart attack meme*
I wouldn't go that far. For one thing it's free, thus not "on the market". It's quite good for a free VN, but a 5 year wait for this much material is...

I do agree that Rin's route is one of the better routes.
Jan 7, 2012 1:44 AM

Aug 2011
medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

I don't care if this is defined as a hentai. Even if it is, this is probably the most well-produced hentai game on the market. Oh god the writing... and Rin's story! *heart attack meme*

That's a big call, if you take into account that Air, Kanon, and Little Bustets! All have eroge versions. (Yes, I'm a Key fan, sue me.)
Jan 7, 2012 6:54 AM

Jul 2008
fluttershy said:
Wondering if I should get this. It's hard to find many bishoujo games without h-scenes...
Just curious about how you skip the h-scenes is there an option to turn them off in the start page or something? Because I use a family computer so I gotta be cautious :/
It's in the options menu, simply check the box that says "disable adult content".

As for the OP's question, I really don't find much of anything offensive anymore. Obviously somebody will find something to complain about but I doubt most of the anime community will have a problem with it.
Jan 7, 2012 7:16 AM

Nov 2008
It's not stellar but above average and the concept is original, and for people who think this is offensive, not really, I've played things far worse like Daughter Maker.

Jan 7, 2012 10:19 AM

Sep 2008
medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

It's pretty average actually, it's actually quite cheap in the art department, the amount of unique sprites and unique scenes is very very low. and like 90% of the backgrounds are just real pictures with a crappy photo shop filter over them.

Also the only really original thing about it is the concept, it's pretty standard fair how each girl's path plays out.There is no major twists or anything you can't see coming from a mile away.

Unlike some thing like Yume Miri Kusuri where one minute I'm romancing a shy girl then all of a sudden I'm helping her choke out her bully until the bully shits her self.

On top of that none of the disabilities of the girls ever really factor into their story, (except maybe Hanako but scars aren't a disability to begin with) there is nothing that needs be over coming or relationship building that happens as a cause of their disabilities. They just have them... The first thing about character writing is never give your characters anything that isn't essential to their Arc, and none of the girls disabilities are essential. The part of their life where they are learning to cope with their problems is already past by the events of the game so it's not important anymore.

JigeroJan 7, 2012 10:38 AM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 7, 2012 12:23 PM

Jun 2009
At first I thought this was gonna be realllllllly f**ked up. But against my better judgement I tried it and it was actually pretty tastefully done. They did a pretty good job!
Jan 7, 2012 1:13 PM

Apr 2010
medicalmidget said:
Clous said:

Couldn't agree more.

Most well produced... eh. Not sure about that. Little busters still holds that #1 spot for me, but it is definitely a very well made game and easily in my top 3. Emi's character is probably my favorite out of any eroge heroine I have seen though.
Jan 7, 2012 3:57 PM
Jun 2011
mitch3315 said:
medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

That's a big call, if you take into account that Air, Kanon, and Little Bustets! All have eroge versions. (Yes, I'm a Key fan, sue me.)
Clous said:
medicalmidget said:
Clous said:

Couldn't agree more.

Most well produced... eh. Not sure about that. Little busters still holds that #1 spot for me, but it is definitely a very well made game and easily in my top 3. Emi's character is probably my favorite out of any eroge heroine I have seen though.

I guess I did take it far... okay, it is a very good visual novel game. And I'm being extremely biased considering this is the only one that I have played.
medicalmidgetJan 7, 2012 4:05 PM
Jan 7, 2012 4:04 PM
Jun 2011
Jigero said:
medicalmidget said:

Couldn't agree more.

It's pretty average actually, it's actually quite cheap in the art department, the amount of unique sprites and unique scenes is very very low. and like 90% of the backgrounds are just real pictures with a crappy photo shop filter over them.

Also the only really original thing about it is the concept, it's pretty standard fair how each girl's path plays out.There is no major twists or anything you can't see coming from a mile away.

Unlike some thing like Yume Miri Kusuri where one minute I'm romancing a shy girl then all of a sudden I'm helping her choke out her bully until the bully shits her self.

On top of that none of the disabilities of the girls ever really factor into their story, (except maybe Hanako but scars aren't a disability to begin with) there is nothing that needs be over coming or relationship building that happens as a cause of their disabilities. They just have them... The first thing about character writing is never give your characters anything that isn't essential to their Arc, and none of the girls disabilities are essential. The part of their life where they are learning to cope with their problems is already past by the events of the game so it's not important anymore.

True, I did let my emotions go over my better judgement though. I agree, the art and backgrounds are pretty standard, and the part about the disabilities, I think it is both yes and no. Yeah the characters' disabilities don't factor in a whole lot within the story (depends on the character, like Rin), but they do make it more emotional in a sense. I don't know where I'm going with this other then the fact that this game is great. Music, which may be standard also (wouldn't know in terms of Visual Novels), is really good for it though.
Jan 7, 2012 5:28 PM

Apr 2010
Oh don't get me wrong, I really do love that game. Like i said, emi is #1. You should explore more VN's since you enjoyed katawa so much. Little busters would be my personal recommendation, and seeing as only the all ages version is currently fully translated I think it would be a good transition title. Granted my obvious bias :P

What really makes me happy about this game is how many people its introducing to the VN world. A good visual novel is truly unlike anything else so it makes me pleased to know more people are opening up to the idea.
Jan 7, 2012 5:57 PM

Aug 2010
Though I don't have much time for vns, I decided to give this a try. I remained dumbfounded of how good it actually turned out to be. It took half of my night already, even though it should've been dedicated to the project I must present Tuesday. Getting over the obvious procrastination, I really enjoyed it (even though I almost finished Lily's route only -> when I'll have more time, I'll try the other routes as well)
Jan 7, 2012 8:07 PM

Jul 2008
Jigero said:

Yeah, except Yume Miru Kusuri isn't free. Unless you know...
Jan 7, 2012 8:39 PM

Sep 2008
entropy13 said:
Jigero said:

and your point? I doubt anyone here would have bothered with KS if they had to pay for it.

The main problem with KS was it felt Quality is places it didn't need to be and felt woefully cheap in places where it shouldn't be.

Heck I would have gotten rid of those useless animations after act 1 if it meant I didn't have stare at a character in 1 of only 4 poses they had in 1 of 2 or maybe 3 outfits they wear for the millionth time.

JigeroJan 7, 2012 8:50 PM
Jan 9, 2012 10:36 PM

Jul 2008
Dled the game thinking that its a joke...
turns out it was srs bsns D=
Hanako <3
Jan 10, 2012 12:35 AM

Nov 2010
Got Lilly's good ending. Damn, that was beautiful. Manly tears, man. ****ing manly tears. I don't even want to play the other routes now. I think I'm going to wait a week or two until I continue on.
"Oh, you want some too?"
Jan 10, 2012 5:43 AM

Jul 2008
Jigero said:
entropy13 said:
Jigero said:

and your point? I doubt anyone here would have bothered with KS if they had to pay for it.

The main problem with KS was it felt Quality is places it didn't need to be and felt woefully cheap in places where it shouldn't be.

You're too focused on the demand side of things and ignored the supply side, or should I say, the producers.

Here's a quick walkthrough LOL
Jan 11, 2012 2:19 AM

Sep 2011
Overall great game very enjoyable and characters stick to you throughout the character development and it kinda disappointing when it ends so soon but Hanako :3
But that loud bitch Misha should of had a route seriously......
Jan 30, 2012 5:46 AM

Jul 2010
entropy13 said:
It's a well written VN actually.

I've done Emi's route first yesterday. Took me roughly the same amount of time earlier to do Lilly's route. Right now I'm saving myself some time because I'm going with Hanako's route (and in Act 1 she shares the same "path" with Lilly except for the final choice).

But actually, it seems the main character really has it the worst among the named characters.

And I've already "pigeonholed" some VAs for the characters. lol

Emiri Katou for Emi.
Yui Horie for Lilly.
Aya Hirano for Shizune (because it won't be the first time she "voiced" a character that have no spoken lines LOL).
Eri Kitamura for Rin.
Kana Hanazawa for Hanako (still unsure on this however).
Tomoaki Maeno for Hisao.

If this is in any way an Eroge, none of the people you've mention have done anything +18. Unless they make an CS Version, aka All Age one. Then maybe. I highly doubt either of those 6 seiyuu's will do the sex scenes as they've yet to done it many many years in business.
Jan 30, 2012 3:41 PM

Jun 2007
played a few different routes so far

it's enjoyable

<3 lilly
Jan 31, 2012 7:42 AM

Nov 2010
This is my first visual novel, just downloaded it going to play it later tonight. :D
Jan 31, 2012 11:57 PM

Dec 2010
Downlaoded the first game from Fakku. I have to say, it's surprisingly good. Though, Hisao does come off bit of a jerk to me.

I was so busy Hnngh'ing over all the girls I ended with Emi's route. Going to get the rest once my bandwidth decreases. Definitely want to play more of it.

Absolutely love Kenji, too. Funny as hell.
Feb 1, 2012 2:53 AM

Jul 2010
Well, I randomly picked this up to try it after reading about it in a few different places. At first, I didn't know what to think about it, as I thought its setting could easily come off as "tasteless", however, I gave it a try...

Without going into it too deeply, I'm really enjoying the story and its "deeper" plot as well as all the characters. I would definitely recommend a play through if you are "interested" but have not yet decided yet if its worth it.

I mean, the Feminist movement is something we should all fear and prepare for - we must spread this warning to the masses! (/tinfoil hat)
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Feb 1, 2012 12:33 PM

Aug 2009
The game isn't good, but that's beside the point.

I still think it's a prime example of how powerful/useful the 4chan community can be when they share the same goal.
-Fixing-
Feb 1, 2012 4:06 PM

Dec 2011
This game will probably appeal to most of the community who only play translated games. From that perspective, this game will probably seem pretty good. As a player of untranslated games I found this game average, though it did have its moments.
I blog about eroge at:
Feb 8, 2012 11:11 PM

Aug 2010
I love this game. Yea.
Mar 9, 2012 3:56 AM

Jul 2009
Why no Misha route? There's not enough WAHAHAHA~! IMHO.

Ow, damn. Never BAWWWed that much, when played other games... The last scene of Hanakos good ending... One of the cutest scenes EVER. And Rins

T_T
Apr 2, 2012 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
orzel286 said:
Why no Misha route? There's not enough WAHAHAHA~! IMHO.

At least you drilled her with comfort. Full pun intended.
removed-userApr 7, 2012 9:09 PM
Apr 2, 2012 9:07 PM

Apr 2012
katawa shoujo is a VN that changed my view... definitely a recommended for galge gamers

oh! the OST... so EPIC.
Apr 2, 2012 9:29 PM

Jun 2011
For the people whose first and only VN is Katawa Shoujo, you should try some other ones as well. You may be surprised when you find that there are even better VNs out there.
Apr 4, 2012 6:57 AM

Jul 2010
So far I've enjoyed Katawa Shoujo (already up to Act 3 on Emi's route) and it's funny because when my friend first told me a simple synopsis on the game, I was instantly on the negative. Really goes to show that people should never judge a book by its cover (or in this case, synopsis).

Apr 5, 2012 3:40 PM

Feb 2012
Let's face it people
Katawa Shoujo sucked
Apr 5, 2012 4:52 PM

Apr 2010
nathanr said:
Let's face it people
Katawa Shoujo sucked

Almost as much as darker than black right?

hue
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

4 by _Nette_ »»
7 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.