Forum Settings
Forums

Bandai Entertainment to Stop Production and Distribution of New Releases

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 2, 2012 6:32 PM

Mar 2010
This is a sad story. I hope Gosick finds a way to be released eventually, hopefully with a dub.
Jan 2, 2012 6:55 PM

Apr 2011
so bandai is going under? this is terrible news.
Jan 2, 2012 7:13 PM

May 2008
...what the shit...Tales..what...Bandai what..what's happening..

.....so this is what 2012 is all about. I knew it.

Jan 2, 2012 7:16 PM

Mar 2009
Well, 2012 is off to a good start. =l
Jan 2, 2012 7:16 PM

Jun 2010
Does that mean the complete box set of code geass R2 will not get released? It's scary seeing all these companies having so many problems. First tokyopop now this.
jenjen01Jan 2, 2012 7:21 PM
Jan 2, 2012 7:47 PM

Aug 2008
Gosick and Nichijou?! NOOOOOO!! Why? I was looking forward to purchasing both.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jan 2, 2012 8:30 PM

Apr 2011
jenjen01 said:
Does that mean the complete box set of code geass R2 will not get released? It's scary seeing all these companies having so many problems. First tokyopop now this.
It will still come out, anything coming out after February 2012 is affected, Code Geass R2 comes out before that. Pretty much the titles listed in the news entry are the only ones cancelled.
Jan 2, 2012 9:09 PM

Aug 2007
oh no, another company slowly disappearing. :c I feel bad not owning any Bandai mangas, but at least they won't let the existing titles go to waste until it's expiration, ;u;
Jan 2, 2012 10:14 PM

Oct 2011
Well this pisses me off. I better order those last two volumes of Gundam 00 that I need before the prices go through the roof.
This love for Hirasawa Yui consumes me, washing over my dirty weeaboo body with a cleansing warmth that allows me to reach greater heights. It inspires me to be a better man; not the man they deserve, but the man she deserves. Yui, I love you. With everything I have. You are my one, my only. Mai waifu.
Jan 2, 2012 11:04 PM
Jul 2011
this really sucks, but I do agree with what others said about their prices. I tend to wait until a boxset comes out before I buy and if it doesn't appear then I don't buy it. If that'd be able to do that more they might not have been in so much trouble.

I really want to permanently buy gundam unicorn rather than doing the on-demand thing but I can't afford the $30+ on blu-ray for one episode that's 45 minutes long.

I'm waiting for the dvd releases that have two episodes each. I know it's not blu-ray quality but it's easier on my wallet.

Someone better pick up gundam as a franchise or I'll be very sad.
Jan 2, 2012 11:20 PM

Mar 2010
.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NICHIJOU!!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!? *Breaks down sobbing~!*

I was looking forward for it next year at oni-con! or at least to get the dvd online dubbed! :(

The problem why the money is going down is because of online piracy. I mean, I feel at fault now because a lot of my anime come from tv or online. I don't buy dvds at least once in a while during oni-con, because it seems cheaper. The problem is that also, that the prices for anime and manga are expensive for me. I mean I got all the ranma mangas by a store called half-price book store because they are around 5 bucks each.

I really hope they don't go down, I mean how many other anime distrubtors are there still? Funimation is still going strong I hope, what about the others?
Black_Rose1809Jan 2, 2012 11:29 PM
Jan 2, 2012 11:47 PM
Nov 2010
No wonder Gosick is being aired free on madman.com.au they ususally only give out 2 episodes, but in this case they have given out all 7 currently available, the 7th being only just released a few hours ago (5 or 6)
Well at least they finished K-On! in time, I really want to buy that anime and when I have some more cash its the first on my list ($120AU for the set - all 14 episodes)

Still I love Bandai-Entertainment, don't tell me they went broke or anything but that this is simply a license run out or a merger between Bandai and Bandai-Visual
Jan 2, 2012 11:50 PM

Sep 2010
obiwanamati said:

Someone better pick up gundam as a franchise or I'll be very sad.

I think most of us will be. Also Code Geass too since its the next big franchise for Sunrise.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 3, 2012 12:04 AM

Oct 2011
algiuxas said:
What?! Why? Who is responsible for this sorcery??

Mostly,fansubs & the illiegal anime streaming sites.People go there instead of actually supporting the industries (ACTUAL SPENDING YOUR MONEY PEOPLE D:<),then in turn the companies lose cash & goes out of business or take steps that will sadden lots of fans,such as this.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jan 3, 2012 12:38 AM

Sep 2010
divinicide said:
A lot of people are claiming piracy and I agree it is an issue but people do blame on piracy while the main problem is the popularity of anime outside of Japan has gone down tremendously in recent years. There will always be a fraction of pirates in any media.

Yeah I agree piracy isn't the main problem it is part of it though. Also more people are being unemployed and they don't have money for luxuries which in turn hurts the entertainment business cause no one can afford to buy anything outside of nessecities like food, shelter, etc.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 3, 2012 12:51 AM

Apr 2010
Great way to start the New Year...not. >_>
Jan 3, 2012 1:02 AM

Oct 2011
scary stuff - seems like more and more anime/manga companies are going under every day - this means less really original product - existing companies playing it safe - no wonder most of the new things coming out are so damn bland - i guess we should just treasure the good stuff that still sneaks through...
Jan 3, 2012 1:31 AM
Jul 2018
So does that mean we should all try and buy up the Bandai releases that are currently available while we can?
Jan 3, 2012 3:36 AM

Jul 2008
BigOnAnime said:
jenjen01 said:
It will still come out, anything coming out after February 2012 is affected, Code Geass R2 comes out before that. Pretty much the titles listed in the news entry are the only ones cancelled.

Wait, so the Code Geass: Queen manga anthology will finish, but Gurren Lagann volume 7 wil be cancelled even though it's release would have been in a week?

Personally couldn't care less about their anime releases (I don't live in the USA), but I'm following/buying multiple manga series from them and was planning on buying others... It would especially suck if I can't get to finish the Gurren Lagann manga, I don't read and never will read scanlations.

Jan 3, 2012 3:36 AM

Nov 2006
Yeah, this is very sad. My brother is not going to be happy about Kannagi.
I will take this opportunity to laugh at the misfortune of Nichijou fans, though!

shiroihikari said:
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bamco and Bandai Entertainment are the same thing.

Of course it doesn't help that there are like 25 different "Bandai"s.
If I'm reading Wikipedia right, Bandai Entertainment is a subsidiary of Bandai Visual, which is in turn a subsidiary of Namco Bandai.

KayChan4U said:
...what the shit...Tales..what...Bandai what..what's happening..

.....so this is what 2012 is all about. I knew it.
I don't think Bandai Entertainment has much, if anything, to do with Tales games, English or otherwise. Bandai Visual deals with anime and manga while Namco Bandai Games/Namco Bandai Games America/Europe deal with video games.
windyJan 3, 2012 3:42 AM
Jan 3, 2012 4:07 AM

May 2010
This is saddening. I really liked their shows. Not to mention their dubs seemed like some of the least repetitive as far as VAs were concerned.
Jan 3, 2012 4:16 AM

Aug 2011
BL2W said:
Doesn't surprise me that much. By comparison to FUNimation and Sentai Filmworks, BANDAI barely had a pulse when it came to licensing and releasing anime within this past year or so.

RandyW88 said:
As long as Funimation & Sentai filmworks are still rocking I'm straight...

^Right on~
Agree on all counts.

Still fucking gay to see this happening. Bandai's done some good shit.
Jan 3, 2012 5:16 AM

May 2010
I'm more sad about Turn A Gundam, Bandai had that series gathering dust since acquiring distribution rights to release it in R1 format for what seems like for more than a year ago. Bandai has a released a good number of titles over the years, I have some of their titles myself, but unlike Sentai and FUNi, Bandai doesn't put out titles in a timely fashion. Hopefully the Gundam franchise will find a new home soon.
Jan 3, 2012 6:13 AM

Mar 2009
wtf no more TTGL omg,, TT___TT
i am going to be the i the one with the biggest manga pocket collgection

url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/enerjak&sclick=1][/url]
Jan 3, 2012 6:50 AM

Sep 2009
GarLogan78 said:
I was looking forward to Kannagi.
Luckily Kannagi was released back in 2010, so it's already out there on the market :-)

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/9dHJGumNrlSFAxIbqN/browse/item/86522/4/0/0
Jan 3, 2012 7:11 AM

Jan 2009
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
GarLogan78 said:
Luckily Kannagi was released back in 2010, so it's already out there on the market :-)

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/9dHJGumNrlSFAxIbqN/browse/item/86522/4/0/0

The anime is, but not the manga. Had volume 4 on pre-order. :(
Jan 3, 2012 7:18 AM

Sep 2009
bowliebart said:
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
GarLogan78 said:

The anime is, but not the manga. Had volume 4 on pre-order. :(
Oh, that's too bad .. it's a sad sad day for the anime/manga fandom for sure ;-(

hopefully some titles will be picked up by others like Funimation, I'm sure K-On! will .. but I foresee a lot of titles becoming "lost" though.
Jan 3, 2012 7:46 AM

Aug 2009
Don't know if you all read this interview, but it will clear up some misguided thoughts.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/bandai_downsizing_ken_iyadomi_interview
Jan 3, 2012 7:55 AM
Jun 2008
oh my this is indeed got wonder will happen to it future maybe there just take time-off to refresh itself to anime world.

or that trying to get rescue help for their anime.

besides cause i'm bit what happen to anime goods of bandai.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Jan 3, 2012 8:18 AM

Sep 2008
I guess this puts a halt on any plans I considered of getting Gundam Unicorn since the final two episodes won't receive a proper video release here in the states from Bandai.

To those thinking piracy was a factor in wrecking Bandai here in the states, I would also think that pressure from the Japanese companies put a damper on things. The way anime is priced between America and Japan is significantly different between the countries where you would be coughing up nearly $100 for a single volume to an anime TV series in many instances in Japan which most American consumers would balk at for such a prize, especially as many distributors in America have resorted to box set releases for their properties in recent years for around or much less than such prices. The anime fanbase in both countries have different expectations for what they would expect for video releases and pricing.
Jan 3, 2012 9:40 AM

Mar 2009
All this makes me think we'll be seeing more Aniplex-type releases in the future, which is a horrifying thought.

Anime fans: Baccano season 2 greenlit?! OMG! Finally!

Aniplex: HAHAHAHA! Expect to pay $600 for the 13-episode limited edition boxset!
Jan 3, 2012 10:02 AM

Nov 2008
Mormegil said:
All this makes me think we'll be seeing more Aniplex-type releases in the future, which is a horrifying thought.

Anime fans: Baccano season 2 greenlit?! OMG! Finally!

Aniplex: HAHAHAHA! Expect to pay $600 for the 13-episode limited edition boxset!

It won't be that bad and Dog Days may get a license if there's more Aniplex releases. I only see problems if Idolm@ster ever gets licensed, expect at least $700 for a boxset in the US (heck it's more than a $1000 if you want all 9 vols of the BD itself, about $1400 if you want it with the G4U in Japan)

Jan 3, 2012 10:38 AM

Nov 2008
jmal said:
Hoppy said:
It won't be that bad and Dog Days may get a license if there's more Aniplex releases. I only see problems if Idolm@ster ever gets licensed, expect at least $700 for a boxset in the US (heck it's more than a $1000 if you want all 9 vols of the BD itself, about $1400 if you want it with the G4U in Japan)

Well.... a little less than that, but close I guess. To get all the BD LEs (but not game bundles) it's ¥72,660 at full MSRP, a bit under $950 at current exchange rates (we dropped below ¥77 again? damnit, seriously?). Granted there will be discounts online. Even paying S&H it'd cost me about $715, depending. Although I bought the game bundle for Vol. 1 (~$250), which of course raises the price significantly, closer to $1000 with that. Since a foreign release wouldn't include the game or G4Us, yeah, I think $700 for a boxset (or more likely two $300+ boxes) would be expected. Not that I see Idolmaster ever getting a foreign release, nor me caring if it does.

Currency markets are still screwed to all hell I see.

Jan 3, 2012 11:06 AM

Jan 2011
What the heck is with all these companies going down?! First Tokyopop, now Bandai?!
Formerly gutsyGumshoe
Jan 3, 2012 1:23 PM

Nov 2008
vocaloidd0suchan said:
What the heck is with all these companies going down?! First Tokyopop, now Bandai?!

Bad business deals. At least Bandai will stay afloat just not as a publisher.

Although this one is a bit serious because this may be the beginning of Japanese studios cutting out NA publishers in favor of subbing anime themselves and selling them at the usual premium Japan/importers price for more profit. The only good I can see from this is a very slight increase in sales.

If this continues, the only way to get anime will be through importing.

Jan 3, 2012 3:23 PM

Jun 2010
Well this sucks. Bad way to start the new year.

Rakuen42 said:
Dear anime licensors,

Pick up Nichijou. Name your price. Take my money.

Regards,
Rakuen

+ Zeream
Jan 3, 2012 3:50 PM

Dec 2011
Ouch. This really hurts.
Jan 3, 2012 4:45 PM

Sep 2007
Kazuki_Tenkawa said:
And maybe someone will be releasing a Blu-ray for Durarara!! sometime in the future, since Bandai didn't bother doing so.

Aniplex USA, not Bandai Entertainment. No blu in Japan yet, so no blu yet here. Period.
Jan 3, 2012 5:14 PM

Sep 2010
Hoppy said:
vocaloidd0suchan said:

Bad business deals. At least Bandai will stay afloat just not as a publisher.

Although this one is a bit serious because this may be the beginning of Japanese studios cutting out NA publishers in favor of subbing anime themselves and selling them at the usual premium Japan/importers price for more profit. The only good I can see from this is a very slight increase in sales.

If this continues, the only way to get anime will be through importing.

And Crunchyroll Simulcasts, but I doubt this will happen anytime soon though. It will officially be over when Funi and Sentai fold. I just hope that won't happen until at least a few years cause by then I should have a good paying job and a husband willing to support my hobby by putting down $50~$100 down every week from his paycheck to actually afford imports.

I hate subbed DVDs/BR and prefer dubbed, but if this keeps up I guess I'll just have to stick to buying series I really enjoyed cause there is no way in hell I'm spending $600~$700 blindly.
Jan 3, 2012 6:50 PM

Sep 2011
Rakuen42 said:
Dear anime licensors,

Regards,
Rakuen

THIS.

i was a peaceful man... i never bothered anyone. but then they derailed my nichijou purchase... lets just say my response wasn't pretty...

I WANTZ MY NICHIJOU DAMMIT!!! also I had no idea they were gonna do gosick I woulda got that too!
Jan 3, 2012 7:26 PM
Apr 2009
hugosworld92 said:
Don't know if you all read this interview, but it will clear up some misguided thoughts.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/bandai_downsizing_ken_iyadomi_interview

This is good article for those who are majoring in business administration (like myself). This is the key issue summarized: American anime fan market vs. Japanese licensors/executives.

Tsk tsk. I can tell when a company has adapted to the market changes and when one hasn't. Thank you SBU. >:(
The important question is left unanswered: Why? Why did the SBU decide this??
TerrorH3ctorJan 3, 2012 7:33 PM
Jan 4, 2012 4:44 AM

Aug 2008
I'll let Private Hudson do most of the talking for me on this one:

At this rate, we'll basically be stuck with NIS America's sub-only shit, Aniplex's overpriced shit, and whatever Funimation and Sentai are willing to pull out of their asses. Truly a terrible way to start off the year.
Jan 4, 2012 5:36 AM

Dec 2010
The way that this is going, I hope that Bandai will not end up like Geneon. Oh God, have mercy!
Jan 4, 2012 3:08 PM
Jul 2008
No that suck.
Jan 4, 2012 6:05 PM

Mar 2009
Rakuen42 said:
Dear anime licensors,

Regards,
Rakuen

This. Somebody, anybody!!! --- Randy
Jan 5, 2012 11:29 AM

Mar 2010
I heard from one guy that this is "a wake-up call." He's right, in a way.

It's a wake-up call for all these other US anime licensors to finally stop fucking around and start licensing anime that's aimed for the mainstream audience (as oppose to the niche audience). I said this a million times: "America IS NOT Japan."

Haters hate Bleach, Naruto, Pokemon, Dragonball, on down; but atleast they get played on non-cable TV channels and they keep the licensors afloat.
Jan 5, 2012 12:42 PM
Jul 2010
Gosick! Nnoo!!
Jan 6, 2012 3:48 AM

Sep 2010
Well now the UK is also stopping production too on its titles, but its also going to keep printing their old series too until the license expires like our US branch is doing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
8 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
9 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.