Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2011 2:15 AM
May 2011
First of all, i'm Italian (Sorry for my possible bad grammar) and i'm not fully catched up with the episodes, I'm still at the end of Impel Down saga, so i could not know what happens after that (I got many spoilers though).
After Impel Down saga ended in Italy, tha anime stopped airing, so i went to internet to watch more episodes. In Italy One Piece goes often on Hiatus, some of them very long, so i started watching OP from Foxy arc, and i liked it. Now, instead of watching the episodes after Impel Down, i chose to watch the ones I haven't watched, and then catch on. Currently i'm on Drum arc, and these 80-ish episodes were so much better than the ones i watched on tv (It's not because of the dub, our company is kinda bad but luckily it's not as bad as 4Kids). Every character had a beautiful backstory, the arcs were shorter but they gave me a lot of emotion more than the new ones. Enies Lobby is good as well, but others like Thriller bark are just "Blah blah we're on an island, enemy comes, try to beat him". When i first came on MAL i gave OP a 7, now it's an 8, and i'm even thinking of a 9. But i usually do this when shows go better, and now i'm watching the old episodes AFTER the new ones, and this
What happened to OP? Who's with me? Who Thinks i'm wrong? Why?
Rating things is overrated.
Dec 28, 2011 3:17 AM

Aug 2009
I think youre on to something here. Thriller Bark was a very slow arc and only in the end it got really good. I think the big problem here is the anime adaptation from the manga. The anime version has to stay up to date with the manga, but you can usually only get a half an episode worth of material from a single manga release to use in the anime. To combat this we have three options:

1.) A hiatus of the anime for some time.
2.) Start a filler arc in the middle of a different arc or some single filler episodes(like on Enies lobby with the flashbacks)
3.) Lenghten the original material with filler material, for example: Something happens and you see pirates/marines/civilians pointing out the obvious every time.

Without spoilers, the arc after Impel Down uses option 3. And i was barely able to watch it since it was so boring. I think the old episodes are better than the new ones, but i draw the line between new and old at after Enies lobby and before Thriller bark. But i've sticked around OP for 500 and i've grown attached to the crew members. Yes, the episodes are starting to lose its touch, but i have to see how it ends.

And about your
Dec 28, 2011 5:17 AM
May 2011
I know about the adaptation thing, but i think the problem isn't the anime slowing down, it's just that it isn't deep as it was before. Things like Nami's past, Chopper's Past or most recently Robin's were very well made. Now i don't see that anymore. There isn't any character that has a minimum background, they just fight. Maybe Boa is the last character i've seen with a good background or even with a personality. All the other new guys are just one-sided. The only thing we know about them is that they have eaten a fruit/they are able in fighting. Magellan, Hannybal, Ivankov, Moria, Ozu, The Invisible Guy, That mermaid at sabaody, All the Supernovas... That is what bugs me of the "New" One Piece.
-CrysDec 28, 2011 5:24 AM
Dec 28, 2011 9:04 AM
Jun 2008
No it doesnt get worse in my opinion. What i have with one piece that every single arc starts slow, then character development and then awesome shit with a great aftermath.

The great stories of the crew have been told. If Oda would reproduce these stories it gets repetitive. But I do think that great stories and character development will continue.

I've read the latest manga chapter, and without spoiling anything, I can say the flame of One Piece has reignited once again. It's gonna be awesome and badass with great stories and character development no doubt about it.

No worries;D
Dec 28, 2011 9:34 AM

Oct 2011
I felt that everything after Thriller Bark had been really fast paced action until it finally stops in
, at that point, they finally got back on track and restarted exposition to the mysteries, geographies and the characters of the OP world. Even after the time skip, Luffy is as bad ass as ever, like when he
Although this all came after yet another lengthy battle (with an obvious outcome and dragged on forever), I can confidently say that OP is back, firing on all cylinders.
ideoidiomDec 28, 2011 9:41 AM
Dec 28, 2011 9:35 AM

Apr 2011
No since it can't get any worse than it already is.
Dec 28, 2011 10:00 AM
Oct 2011
I love this show!! I hope it is getting much better in the 500+ episodes. I have only seen the first 91 episodes and I love the show. It has great, sad, and interesting back stories for each straw hats crew member. It has great comedy, action and drama. This show is just great! Thriller Bark is the arc i'm looking foward to seeing the most because Brooke sounds like a interesting character because he is a skelton and a musician. I watch only dubbed one piece so I have a long ways to go before Thriller Bark gets dubbed. So by what you people are syaing Thriller Bark is not a good arc. I thought it would be exceptional because a crew member joins the straw hat crew in that arc. Is it great or ain't it? Thanks
Dec 28, 2011 10:31 AM

Jul 2010
FilthyDoughBoy said:
No since it can't get any worse than it already is.

What a cute troll~

One Piece has always had ebbs and flows, and parts that people like more than others. It's inevitable with long running shows like this. Some people just want the action, some people love the characters, ect.

Without spoiling anything though, I can say after the last chapter of the manga, OP has me more excited then ever.
Dec 28, 2011 11:45 AM
Jul 2010
Honestly One Piece just gets better and better..

Seeing the entire crews new strength ready for the new world is like a fresh start after a very epic first half. Oda has out done himself with his plot setup..

Watching luffy's fight in 528... it's just the moments like that 15 seconds that make One Piece so amazing. I love naruto and bleach although bleach is overdue a good WTF/badass moment and Naruto's moment is coming soon, they ain't kept me entertained enough to follow them anime only.

One piece has.. thats enough for me.
Oct 22, 2015 2:39 AM
Oct 2015
I do think One Piece is getting bad... The characters' personalities seem forced (Robin having tears in her eyes in front of a cute dragon in the last chapter), they jump from adventure to adventure without anytime to breathe or show us life on the boat and the relationship between characters. The jokes are exagerated and they don't make me smile like they used too...
And I think the battles and scenarios themselves are a bit off... Remember the fight against Arlong, Crocodile, the CP9 in Impel Down, even Skypea and on when they found Brook? Luffy and the others always had to be pushed to the edge of their strength, there was always despair, and that meant we were all hanging on the edge of our seats to see what would happen! We would identify with the characters, especially since they all had a reason to fight (Nami, Vivi, Robin, Brook and their own lives)....
I really miss the ambiance at the beginning and middle of the show :'(
Mermaid Island wasn't bad, but I'm really not into the lastest archs....

I really, really hope it will get better again... One Piece was the only show I ever thought was flawless, and I'm so sad to feel it's going downhill....
Oct 25, 2015 9:33 AM

Jul 2015
Alleemaria said:
I do think One Piece is getting bad... The characters' personalities seem forced (Robin having tears in her eyes in front of a cute dragon in the last chapter)

Robin has always been established to have subtle extroverted characteristics; e.g. over-zealous reactions and strange comments. Perhaps you're just forcing a flaw? This is further proven by the fact that you gave only one example...

Alleemaria said:
they jump from adventure to adventure without anytime to breathe or show us life on the boat and the relationship between characters.

That's why we spent 2 whole chapters in the Barto ship exploring the new Straw Hat Alliance dynamics and having mischievous fun before getting to a new arc...

Alleemaria said:
And I think the battles and scenarios themselves are a bit off... Remember the fight against Arlong, Crocodile, the CP9 in Impel Down, even Skypea and on when they found Brook? Luffy and the others always had to be pushed to the edge of their strength, there was always despair, and that meant we were all hanging on the edge of our seats to see what would happen! We would identify with the characters, especially since they all had a reason to fight (Nami, Vivi, Robin, Brook and their own lives)...

They still have reasons to fight e.g. defeating Doflamingo meant stopping the S.A.D production, cutting off any underground opposition links and bringing out Kaido, if that was your entire argument...

They haven't been pushed to the brink of death because it's been just 2 weeks in the New World. It's called narrative structuring.

Alleemaria said:
I really miss the ambiance at the beginning and middle of the show :'(

That literally made no sense. As in the small-scale focus? Well, we rightfully just got the main group separated from the 5,600 other Straw Hat members for directive fidelity in the latest chapters.

Alleemaria said:
One Piece was the only show I ever thought was flawless, and I'm so sad to feel it's going downhill....

Since when was One Piece ever flawless?!
Oct 25, 2015 1:48 PM

Dec 2012
I would say Yes. From my point of view, so person that watched entire OP in ~~2 month time till Punk Hazard I would say starting from DressRosa the series took different approach to the journey. Instead of another islands, exploring New World now they're stuck in bird cage, the action is so slooow and worse than Narutos mushroom filler episodes(or my English haha). The peace of series itself is so slow and the action is shifted like in Arancar invasion in Bleach on Earth.
I rly hope for the comeback of "old" approach. Hey! It was like 600+ episodes pumped with action, story,adventure,good plot! We can do this again, shall we captain?
Oct 25, 2015 1:50 PM

Jan 2012
Good job guys
lol bumping an old thread of 2011.

Oct 25, 2015 2:55 PM
May 2011
I love how people are talking about One Piece getting worse with Dressrosa, even if when I made this topic the saga didn't even start.
Oct 26, 2015 3:28 PM

Nov 2014
Yes, yes it does.

Oct 26, 2015 4:06 PM

Apr 2010
I stopped watching One Piece when I noticed they were doing this One Chapter/One Episode adaptation.

Story wise, yes it was kind of boring and predictable with the Straw Hats getting OP as fu*k during Fishman Island. But I think this is where Oda sets the tone for the upcoming New World Arcs.

What I noticed with these factors/concepts that will definitely provide a role in upcoming arcs:

Fishman Island - Another poneglyph something to do with weapons
Punk Hazard - Underground deals, how Akainu became Fleet Admircal, Aokiji's status, more connections with Smoker
Dressrossa - Doflamingo's past, artificial devil fruits, Sabo and the Revolutionaries' role, More allies for Luffy (probably for the upcoming battles against a Yonkou)

Yes the backstories of the characters such as Shirahoshi (forgive my spelling), Rebecca, Hody Jones are kinda boring but the main focus are "what consists of the new world".

I hope Oda makes a barrier for the Straw hats for not being able to move forward. Straw hats being OP is gonna be boring for the One Piece franchise.

Since I am on a role with my opinions, here are my predictions for the future arcs:

Zou Arc

- This is official already and I feel that there is another poneglyph in this giant mammoth thing and of course a new type of creature/species

Supernova Alliance vs a certain Yonkou arc

- I feel that somewhere along the way they have to take down one Yonko with either Big Mom or Kaidou

World Nobles meeting / conference arc

- This is where the Strawhats will be reunited with Vivi and will probably tackle more about the origin of the World Nobles
- Yeah you heard it maybe we will see Sanji's real origin especially with his new ALIVE ONLY wanted poster
GeoresaOct 26, 2015 4:10 PM
Oct 26, 2015 5:08 PM
Jan 2014
No, it's always been terrible.

Don't mind me, a lot of people like being stabbed in the neck, too. So, no accounting for taste.
Oct 26, 2015 9:45 PM

Jan 2014
In terms of pacing, that seems to be the case. Of course, pacing is a side issue that doesn't really bother me.

Plot-wise, it's getting better, especially with a plot-heavy arc like Dressrosa, and all the comedy, feels and others are still there. There are also more interesting characters which is always a plus.

All in all, it depends on what you are focusing on. If you focus on the trivial issues and magnifying perceived negatives, then it will appear worse to you. Plot-wise, character-wise and so on, it's clearly getting better......unless you did not like those things to begin with.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 392 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Mar 8, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 391 Discussion

Kitschi - Mar 11, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago

» I miss the old fights.

NeutralSide - Sep 14, 2023

25 by NeutralSide »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1062 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 20, 2023

328 by mihirmishra »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
Today, 2:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.