MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Is One Piece getting worse?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» One Piece »» Is One Piece getting worse?

View Poll Results: Is One Piece getting worse?
Yes, much worse

3 9.38%
Yes

5 15.63%
No

8 25.00%
No, it's getting better

16 50.00%
Voters: 32

12-28-11, 2:15 AM

First of all, i'm Italian (Sorry for my possible bad grammar) and i'm not fully catched up with the episodes, I'm still at the end of Impel Down saga, so i could not know what happens after that (I got many spoilers though).
After Impel Down saga ended in Italy, tha anime stopped airing, so i went to internet to watch more episodes. In Italy One Piece goes often on Hiatus, some of them very long, so i started watching OP from Foxy arc, and i liked it. Now, instead of watching the episodes after Impel Down, i chose to watch the ones I haven't watched, and then catch on. Currently i'm on Drum arc, and these 80-ish episodes were so much better than the ones i watched on tv (It's not because of the dub, our company is kinda bad but luckily it's not as bad as 4Kids). Every character had a beautiful backstory, the arcs were shorter but they gave me a lot of emotion more than the new ones. Enies Lobby is good as well, but others like Thriller bark are just "Blah blah we're on an island, enemy comes, try to beat him". When i first came on MAL i gave OP a 7, now it's an 8, and i'm even thinking of a 9. But i usually do this when shows go better, and now i'm watching the old episodes AFTER the new ones, and this
What happened to OP? Who's with me? Who Thinks i'm wrong? Why?

I'm Italian, so forgive me for grammar errors.

12-28-11, 3:17 AM

I think youre on to something here. Thriller Bark was a very slow arc and only in the end it got really good. I think the big problem here is the anime adaptation from the manga. The anime version has to stay up to date with the manga, but you can usually only get a half an episode worth of material from a single manga release to use in the anime. To combat this we have three options:

1.) A hiatus of the anime for some time.
2.) Start a filler arc in the middle of a different arc or some single filler episodes(like on Enies lobby with the flashbacks)
3.) Lenghten the original material with filler material, for example: Something happens and you see pirates/marines/civilians pointing out the obvious every time.

Without spoilers, the arc after Impel Down uses option 3. And i was barely able to watch it since it was so boring. I think the old episodes are better than the new ones, but i draw the line between new and old at after Enies lobby and before Thriller bark. But i've sticked around OP for 500 and i've grown attached to the crew members. Yes, the episodes are starting to lose its touch, but i have to see how it ends.

And about your

12-28-11, 5:17 AM

I know about the adaptation thing, but i think the problem isn't the anime slowing down, it's just that it isn't deep as it was before. Things like Nami's past, Chopper's Past or most recently Robin's were very well made. Now i don't see that anymore. There isn't any character that has a minimum background, they just fight. Maybe Boa is the last character i've seen with a good background or even with a personality. All the other new guys are just one-sided. The only thing we know about them is that they have eaten a fruit/they are able in fighting. Magellan, Hannybal, Ivankov, Moria, Ozu, The Invisible Guy, That mermaid at sabaody, All the Supernovas... That is what bugs me of the "New" One Piece.
Modified by -Crys, 12-28-11, 5:24 AM

I'm Italian, so forgive me for grammar errors.

12-28-11, 9:04 AM

No it doesnt get worse in my opinion. What i have with one piece that every single arc starts slow, then character development and then awesome shit with a great aftermath.

The great stories of the crew have been told. If Oda would reproduce these stories it gets repetitive. But I do think that great stories and character development will continue.

I've read the latest manga chapter, and without spoiling anything, I can say the flame of One Piece has reignited once again. It's gonna be awesome and badass with great stories and character development no doubt about it.

No worries;D

12-28-11, 9:34 AM

I felt that everything after Thriller Bark had been really fast paced action until it finally stops in
, at that point, they finally got back on track and restarted exposition to the mysteries, geographies and the characters of the OP world. Even after the time skip, Luffy is as bad ass as ever, like when he
Although this all came after yet another lengthy battle (with an obvious outcome and dragged on forever), I can confidently say that OP is back, firing on all cylinders.
Modified by ideoidiom, 12-28-11, 9:41 AM

12-28-11, 9:35 AM

No since it can't get any worse than it already is.

12-28-11, 10:00 AM

I love this show!! I hope it is getting much better in the 500+ episodes. I have only seen the first 91 episodes and I love the show. It has great, sad, and interesting back stories for each straw hats crew member. It has great comedy, action and drama. This show is just great! Thriller Bark is the arc i'm looking foward to seeing the most because Brooke sounds like a interesting character because he is a skelton and a musician. I watch only dubbed one piece so I have a long ways to go before Thriller Bark gets dubbed. So by what you people are syaing Thriller Bark is not a good arc. I thought it would be exceptional because a crew member joins the straw hat crew in that arc. Is it great or ain't it? Thanks

12-28-11, 10:31 AM

FilthyDoughBoy said:
No since it can't get any worse than it already is.

What a cute troll~

One Piece has always had ebbs and flows, and parts that people like more than others. It's inevitable with long running shows like this. Some people just want the action, some people love the characters, ect.

Without spoiling anything though, I can say after the last chapter of the manga, OP has me more excited then ever.

12-28-11, 11:45 AM

Honestly One Piece just gets better and better..

Seeing the entire crews new strength ready for the new world is like a fresh start after a very epic first half. Oda has out done himself with his plot setup..

Watching luffy's fight in 528... it's just the moments like that 15 seconds that make One Piece so amazing. I love naruto and bleach although bleach is overdue a good WTF/badass moment and Naruto's moment is coming soon, they ain't kept me entertained enough to follow them anime only.

One piece has.. thats enough for me.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices