Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 12, 2008 9:24 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Like most Gainax anime, the ending left me just a little bit confused about what was going on, but I thought the ending that matched up with the original Gunbuster was very satisfying.

Also, apparently, the Fraternity is supposed to be connected to FLCL somehow. So maybe this was an FLCL sequel more than just in style.
Aug 12, 2008 9:36 PM

Jul 2008
MK said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Like most Gainax anime, the ending left me just a little bit confused about what was going on, but I thought the ending that matched up with the original Gunbuster was very satisfying.

Also, apparently, the Fraternity is supposed to be connected to FLCL somehow. So maybe this was an FLCL sequel more than just in style.

Maybe I'm missing something but what do you mean by the Fraternity?
Aug 14, 2008 12:56 PM

Jul 2008
amaro mentions that cantu is on the run from the fraternity.
Sep 18, 2008 1:27 PM

Aug 2008
Seriously, ending nearly got me to cry. Just.. wow. This show's in my top 3 now. Getting manga nou.
Sep 18, 2008 1:41 PM
Jun 2007
The ending of this show was beautiful, probably one of the most satisfying ones I've seen. the OVA for the most part was rather mediocre since the characters were bland and flat. though I did like Nono's bubbly personality, Lal'c was a boring character. =\
Oct 14, 2008 3:57 PM

Jul 2007
The ending was pretty damn awesome, like how it tied in with Gunbuster. I pretty much enjoyed this series.
Feb 4, 2009 6:51 PM

Dec 2008
Yeah, you know, these days if I want some TwN!2 I just go for the last episode or two. Back when I first saw it I fucking hated the entire first half of this series. It's nothing but silly filler fluff aside from a few things that provide a bit of context later on, and it was such a drag to watch... I felt like I was watching another Gainax dud, thoroughly disgusted that they were shaming their own legendary TwN!/Gunbuster. Thankfully, things had improved bigtime by the end of episode 4.

For fans of the original Gainax classic, the final episode and the ending itself is truly epic, and truly beautiful.
Feb 6, 2009 8:39 PM

Aug 2007
wow. this was unexpectedly good. don't really know what the f happend towards the end, but in a good way. i guess?

if anyone knows how the hell they knew that noriko and kazumi were coming home please tell me.
Feb 6, 2009 8:48 PM

Dec 2008
I have no idea if there's any official explanation, but I would presume that they have some kind of system in place for monitoring nearby space and they somehow identified them (or the wreckage of Gunbuster itself). Honestly, I think you're better off not thinking about it too much, because it's the most romantic thing about the entire series.
Mar 21, 2009 12:38 AM
Mar 2009
Ugh, I LOVE the series but the ending had me angry. I really seem to hate the gainax endings. They are depressing and leave me slightly confused, anxious, and...vaguely angry.

I mean, the endings are done WELL but I don't want them to end the way they do!
May 4, 2009 1:03 PM

Mar 2009
I can't get over how good that ending was. Goddamn.
May 23, 2009 5:51 PM
Apr 2009
I think I enjoyed Gunbuster more than Diebuster, because I didn't really like Lark. Both had good endings though and I liked how they connected at the end.
Aug 20, 2009 5:14 AM

Jun 2009
So, the girl Nono kept mentioning was Noriko? It's cool that it ends with her return. Btw, I found Gunbuster to be much much better overall. But, then again the original Top wo Nerae is one of the best anime i've seen period.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 19, 2009 11:08 PM

Aug 2008
I have to say that was a beautifully executed ending. I won't say that I loved the series. But it was a decently fun time.
Nov 17, 2009 1:38 PM

Jan 2009
I seriously loved th at ending i like how it tied in with the first one OMG *claps* that was so great this whole time Nono-Riri was noriko my my this was soo great!
Jan 1, 2010 6:28 PM
Oct 2009
The show went from 'this is pretty fun to watch but ultimately not that great' in the first half to 'JESUS THIS IS AMAZING' in the second half, with a beautifully executed ending. Which is kinda how it went for me for Gunbuster, too.. I'll give this one the edge because of the beautiful animation/aesthetics, but I'd probably give Gunbuster the edge if it had the same modern animation quality to placate me when I wasn't so enchanted with the story..

So I guess that means I have to watch the movies then, right?
Feb 20, 2010 2:01 PM
Sep 2009
I must say, the ending redeemed Diebuster for me. Personally, I had disliked it up until now, because Nono was really annoying, Lark was just plain boring, and the story was greatly inferior to Gunbuster (which was spectacular). However, I was very impressed with this episode (as well as 4 and 5). The battle scenes were amazing, we finally see some character development in Lark and Nono, and I rather enjoyed Nono's new character design. But even more than that, I was pleased with how they connected it to the ending of Gunbuster. It was beautifully done, and hightened my oppinion of Diebuster.
May 10, 2010 1:49 AM

Feb 2008
When I saw all those lights turn on during the epilogue, I literally started weeping like a little girl. That was a brilliant tie in by Gainax. Great stuff.

I enjoyed both series immensely.
May 10, 2010 9:44 PM

Oct 2008
Ending was pretty decent, but suffered from an extreme rushed feel. I did like how it ties in to the previous series though.

The bit with nono was handled poorly for the most part. The series seems to suggest she dies protecting the earth from the singularity, seemingly with the anti space monster machines it looked like. If that is the case, why did she die, couldn't she hide behind them too? This is only made worse by the instant switch of focus. Protagonist dies protecting the earth, nobody cares, oh then the main characters from the previous series come back!

I suppose i shouldn't expect a ton of depth from a 6 30 minute episode series though, and Top wo Nerae was above average for a series of its length. It makes me sad though as both ova series would have been a lot better if they had been a longer tv series with more depth and character development. Better endings would have been a plus as well, but this series suffers from that less than the previous.
May 15, 2010 11:52 AM

Feb 2009
This wasn't a bad anime, I confess I had high expectations for it and that it wasn't what I was expecting.

For starters, the ending was superb. The nostalgia of "rewatching" the ending of the first OVA was a great feeling, and Gainax always manages to surprise me with their endings.

I didn't like the first 3 episodes. The characters were flat, shallow, boring and uninteresting... and the story confusing. However the last 3 episodes gave it a turn for the best. I loved the absurdly dimension of the story and the ridiculously proportions of the galactic battles. Huge and Epic. Pretty much like the first OVA If you think about it, with the exception that the characters and the story were much better.

This one get's a high score from me because of its incredible animation and overall production values, and especially for the fantastic, satisfying and nostalgic ending. For me the main flaw was the atmosphere... the feeling wasn't there... I dunno I just couldn't care for the humanity in this story, I think it lacked some realism.

Note: Man what a concept! It didn't happen, but it was a crazy thought! The idea of using the Earth as a weapon, ramming it against a planet-sized space monster is just too insane! I hope Gainax doesn't discard this possibility because with their skill it would be too epic.
May 31, 2010 8:08 PM

May 2009
If you think using planets as weapons epic, wait till you watch Gurren Lagann...moving planets is nothing.

But wow amazing ending. Enduring Gunbuster was worth it for the tie-in in the last few minutes. I have to admit, I enjoyed this more than Gunbuster...

The concept of losing the Topless ability and how society treats one differently, and the twist with the 'real' space monsters/Nono's identity - I found more interesting than the themes in the first series which from what I remember is mainly humans are parasites.

Also having recently gotten into anime, the animation style was way too old for me (round robots etc) whereas this series seems very fresh even for its time. Only complaints are - characters didnt get developed enough, too much random fanservice, rushed ending didnt make sense. And also if I didn't watch gunbuster first, the ending wouldn't mean anything to me.

Overall I enjoyed it. To anyone else who liked the ending, I'd definately recommend TTGL - same feeling but way more epic and fleshed out.
Jun 12, 2010 10:07 PM

Jul 2009
Murbella said:
The bit with nono was handled poorly for the most part. The series seems to suggest she dies protecting the earth from the singularity, seemingly with the anti space monster machines it looked like. If that is the case, why did she die, couldn't she hide behind them too?
no she didn't just protect the earth, but the whole universe, because see the singularity would have trigger a big bang which would create a new universe over the current one ( ex. like reformatting a computer ) and how she did that was she used what was left from diebuster and warped the singularity into an alternate universe essentially erasing her existence, there was no "hiding" involved
Murbella said:
This is only made worse by the instant switch of focus. Protagonist dies protecting the earth, nobody cares,
I'm pretty sure Lark was crying when she woke up, the scenes after were 10 years later so I'm sure everyone else was done moping over her sacrifice
Murbella said:
oh then the main characters from the previous series come back!
I thou the ending was well done, made me feel the same as the first OVA, but seeing you didnt like the first one either I guess we can agree to disgree.

8/10 overall i loved the installment thou you have to watch the first one to understand the ending ( it is a sequel thou so no complaints )
suprhiroJul 30, 2010 7:13 PM
Jun 15, 2010 11:05 PM

Apr 2008
Thank god this series is over. The last scene was the only thing that made this series worth watching. The first series was better.
3-4/10 Awful Anime with pretty animation
TuzoAnimeJun 18, 2010 9:41 PM
Jun 21, 2010 1:21 PM
Dec 2009
seraphjei said:
When I saw all those lights turn on during the epilogue, I literally started weeping like a little girl. That was a brilliant tie in by Gainax. Great stuff.

I enjoyed both series immensely.

Me too.

Awesome anime, I think I can say that Gainax is officially my favorite studio now...
Hammock_kJun 30, 2010 7:53 PM
Jul 1, 2010 12:39 PM

Nov 2008
I wish I hadn't known in advance that it takes place about 12000 years later. Nono's sacrifice was depressing, but Noriko's return had zero impact on me. Least satisfying ending I've seen in a while.
Jul 14, 2010 2:43 PM

Sep 2008
This is, without a doubt, the best ending I've seen in any anime.
Jul 15, 2010 1:24 PM

Jul 2010
Awesome ending.

But the fact that Gainax didn`t show Noriko and Amano in Diebuster was kind of disappointing though.

I wanted a modern version of them badly...
Jul 18, 2010 11:00 AM

Jan 2010
I knew it was going to end as it did, but I still liked it a lot. :)

I just love how Aim for the Top always makes things big, large, huge and epic. And just as the first season, this one improved in the last three episodes.
Aug 25, 2010 2:33 PM
Nov 2008
What lal'c lacked in personality she had in character design, which I found to be very good.

The Anime, well, wasn't actually that good, but somehow I had incredibly much fun watching this, kinda like when I watched FLCL, but not as good. The ending was fucking awesome indeed.

9/10
Oct 8, 2010 2:39 PM

Jan 2010
I feel slow, Diebuster felt like it didn't compare at all to Gunbuster. Especially at the end, things got a little too convoluted for me. I somewhat liked the ending, but I don't understand it at all.
Oct 10, 2010 8:10 PM

Jan 2009
KevinDaGe said:
Awesome ending.

But the fact that Gainax didn`t show Noriko and Amano in Diebuster was kind of disappointing though.

I wanted a modern version of them badly...

+1!

I wanted see Lal'C talking about Nono with Noriko and Amano.

I liked so much diebuster. 10/10 for me, top 5 in my personal list. Thanks gainax for another masterpiece.
Nov 9, 2010 1:14 PM
Jan 2009
I really loved the tie-in and tons of references to Gunbuster/Top wo Nerae! 1.
This series is really awesome!
Dec 26, 2010 1:28 AM

Aug 2010
Yes... another amazing Gainax ending.

Just like Gunbuster, the first few eps were so-so. But the second half really picked it up and turned the epic on. The final tie-in was man tear inducing.

Gainax is definitely top 3 for me as far as studios go.
Jan 14, 2011 1:59 AM

Oct 2008
I really wished they shows Noriko and Kazumi!!! The ending was nice except I wish Nono survived. It was a great show overall, I love Gainax and their animation...I just wish Nono had been there at the end too :(

Great show, sad they didn't animate Noriko and Kazumi but overall great OVA from Gainax.
Jan 16, 2011 10:14 PM

Feb 2010
I have to say I enjoyed this more than Gunbuster. Even if it was more nonsensical. Tie in was decent, but wish they had shown Noriko and Amano getting out of the wreckage and walking on the earth once again.

Good shows but they both had a rushed feel. May have been a bit of a stretch, but a full 12 ep season of each would have been a lot better imo.
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
Feb 2, 2011 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
loved the tie in ending...
Feb 6, 2011 9:43 PM

Aug 2010
I liked Gunbuster a lot more than this series. I didn't really like the characters in Diebuster but the ending made it all worth it. That ending was just awesome. So I guess Nonoriri = Noriko?
Mar 13, 2011 3:30 AM

Oct 2009
That one of the best endings ever! I LOVED how they tied it to Gunbuster, simply brilliant!
Well the OVA overall i didn't like it much, the characters, the story, i don't know too unrealistic?
And did Nono die? And how did she know Noriko?

I liked Gunbuster quite a bit more as well, but this was a fun ride.

Originally was gonna give a 7 but i enjoyed the last 2 episodes a lot so 8/10.
Mar 17, 2011 6:52 PM

Sep 2009
I came in with the expectation that it wasn't going to be a Gunbuster duplicate and I didn't come out disappointed. Things started out pretty shallow, but by the end, everything came out fantastic. That ending brought me to tears, man.

9/10 What Gurren Lagann?
Apr 9, 2011 12:09 AM
Mar 2009
And then we get a Gainax ending. Over-the-top animations, moves, and even ideas. Seriously? Moving the goddamn Earth? That's kind of depressing...

Lol, Lal'C payed homage to the absurd uniforms the gunbuster pilots wore in the first Gunbuster. Which also brings up the question of how old Dix-Neuf is. All the current gunbusters have poles and two arm controllers and Dix-Neuf has both.

I might be looking too deep into it, but what is the relationship between Nono and Noriko? Just an idol and her admirer?

Nono popping out in her DIEBUSTER form was awesome. Dix-Neuf's true form on the other hand, was absolutely ridiculous.

Lol, the end was a complete mindfuck. Second Big Bang but Nono is able to contain the singularity, and so it imploded on itself to cause no damage to the current universe. Oh, and it turning into the infinity sign was just lulzy.

The ending was nice. Tying it into Gunbuster's ending was good, but I wish we could have seen Noriko and Kazumi at least once. At least they'll be relieved to find that Earth hasn't changed all that much in 12,000 years, which is extremely unrealistic. Good anime overall.
May 5, 2011 9:03 PM

May 2010
Great ending. Gunbuster was definitely better overall: Better characterization and plot for sure. But Diebuster is a totally different beast and I think it was quite well-done.

Some confusing moments here and there and the first three episodes are slow (just like the predecessor) but the pathos in the last two episodes was great, and the ending was just as bittersweet and saddening as Gunbuster's.

Also, for what she lacked in depth, I really liked Nono. She was such an entertaining character with a zest for life, taking joy in almost every little thing. I wish she had a better motivation for becoming a pilot, but at least the explanation of her immense power made sense (even if it seemed a little convenient).

8/10
May 25, 2011 7:56 PM

Apr 2009
Apparently Jupiter (as the core of Buster Machine III in Gunbuster) and Jupiter 2 (episode 5 of this series) is not enough, they have to resort to using Earth as a weapon too! XD

IMHO the ending of this episode was the cake and other episodes before this were all just an icing for me. I'm a bit biased because I liked Gunbuster better than Diebuster and since I just recently watched Gunbuster before this, I still had the lingering feeling of sympathy for Kazumi and Noriko seeing 12,000 years in the future after all they've done. Besides, seeing the welcoming sequence for them from the other side was interesting.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 27, 2011 5:33 PM

Mar 2009
Was wondering if they were going to somehow tie the ending to Gunbuster's, and then they do. Well, that was beautifully done, if I may say so myself. And the whole last episode, overall, was epic as well.

I had this at a 6, since I wasn't really into the first couple of episodes, but Nono and the last episode were great. So, guess I'll give Diebuster a 7.
Jun 9, 2011 7:12 PM

Aug 2009
That ending... That fucking ending!!! That made the series for me!

Both series, I think were fantastic, I really can't pick a fav of the two. There was a lot that confused me, for example Nono leaving the fight then later coming back as Diebuster. I would like an explination but... Y'know, Gainax is Gainax xD

I give this a 10/10 Definitely in my top 5 of all time =)

I feel very sorry for Noriko and Kazumi, going back to Gunbuster their whole ordeal from when they were recruited to the final mission must of been in a time frame of at least 1 year... Damn light speed... It fucks up peoples lives xD

Next up~ Gunbuster VS Diebuster =)
ZepwichJun 9, 2011 7:22 PM
Jul 24, 2011 8:43 PM
Jun 2011
What a fucking amazing OVA and that fucking ending. How could ANYBODY prefer Gunbuster is my question? It was still solid, but it felt boring and dated as shit in comparison if you asked me. Just me though.
FH495Jul 24, 2011 8:47 PM
Aug 10, 2011 4:36 PM

Nov 2009
I definitely agree with what I've read above.

The ending was the best part of the show. Good anime have great endings but great anime keep you pulling all the way through. This show did not meet my incredibly high expectations until the 5th episode. It was really interesting how Nono kept saying nonoriri was just an ordinary girl. I realized at the very end that she was talking about Noriko and that the scene where she was found in the meteor and said "no-no-ri-ri-ko" she was talking about noriko and all that she had remembered while being wholed up there on the ateroid. That was my favorite part of the series, and how Lark and Tycho looked way more normal as adults.

I agree that the sacrificing the earth concept was extremely enticing. I hope to see something like that somewhere again.

Lame fanservice in the beginning, annoying characters and lack of depth for the first three episodes brought this down to a 7 for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2011 6:51 PM

Apr 2011
So why exactly did they have to hurl Earth at the monster? Couldn't they have chucked Venus at it? It's roughly the same mass, and would be much less of a bother to humanity to lose the 2nd planet from the sun than our own homeworld. Humanity in this series seems to regard its fellow planets as so much weaponry to be tossed around. Of course, when you're dealing with huge space-monsters crawling out of black holes, what else are you gonna combat it with?

Giant-sized Nono, apparently.

I really want a 2' tall Non figure of her final Diebuster form, that was badass as hell :D It was sad to see her die, but Onee-sama survived to unite the endings of the two series. It was pretty sweet that they ended at the same time, with the original Gunbuster returning home ... though they fucked up in seperating it, since the Gunbuster was more than half gone and only had one power core. So unless one of the two girls jettisoned the other ... ah well, I'm thinking too hard prolly :P

Awesome series, both get a 9/10 :)
Feb 19, 2012 7:26 AM

Aug 2009
Nono and Lal'c spent all that time fighting over planet Earth then destroyed the giant enemy alien monster with a single kick? wft!? Nono wasn't even in her giant form. I feel cheated out of an epic battle.

I wished they spent a little more time explaining the origins of Nono and the man-made "alien" protectors than focusing on Lal'c's insecurities. Why did they evolve to treat humans as a threat? Also why are the real alien monsters so bent on destroying mankind? And finally why did that giant alien appear when Noriko already took care of it 12,000 years ago?

If they would have taken just a little time to explain these through out the story it would have been a masterpiece. Instead we're left with a bunch of "huh wtf?".

Anyways, loved that giant crater on the moon that "Super" Nono made. There will be legends of her for eons to come. Overall 8/10.
Mar 19, 2012 5:13 PM

Jan 2012
Not much to say here...

ending was awesome, fighting scenes and animations were top notch. Everything else were meh..

For me, Gunbuster > Diebuster

great series.. not one regret was felt that day
Jul 29, 2012 12:21 AM

Dec 2009
Yep, I agree with most of the comments here: the ending was fantastic.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - May 15, 2010

27 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 19, 2009

48 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 20, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 2 Discussion

naikou - Sep 30, 2008

46 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:08 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

56 by OneMoreFinal »»
Nov 20, 2023 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.