Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 11, 2008 10:49 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Growing up on the moon makes your body grow faster, but not stronger :/
Filler episode, kind of but still good.
Aug 26, 2008 1:20 PM

Jun 2008
I liked it, very warm hearted, a sweet story for an optimistic Lunarian.

In this kind of series, I don't think you can really call that a filler. It progressed the plot, or at least the characters enough to probably make an impact later on. I consider something a filler only when everything is exactly the same in the end as it was in the beginning of the episode (aside from not being in the original manga storyline).
Feb 13, 2009 8:07 PM
Sep 2008
Is tanabe growing some feelings for hachimaki? I like where this is going.

Also, I'm surprised this series is so awesome yet so little discussed here :/
Oct 12, 2009 11:04 AM

Jun 2009
Wow.. that was one hell of an episode. The scene with Nono and Hachi on the surface of the moon, with his monologue, was really really touching. And, I also, cannot see how you could possibly call this filler. Hachi experiences character development, and Tanabe may feel something for him. Sounds like progress to me.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 25, 2009 1:43 AM

Nov 2009
That was good episode, didn't seem like filler to me, i hope this series keeps progressing, it gets better every episode.
Jan 1, 2010 11:32 PM

Feb 2009
lol, "doubt" IT'S CALLED BS!!
[url=http://www.squiby.net/level/4135737]
Jan 24, 2010 9:02 PM

Apr 2009
I wouldn't consider this a filler, cause there is a continuation in the history plot, with the thing in the hospital, and character development from Hachi and Tanabe. Besides isn't that Nono that appears in the Opening? maybe she will take a major roel in the future...

nonetheless quite good episode, i'm really enjoying this series
Mar 6, 2010 7:36 PM

Mar 2009
A very good episode, and more in line with the manga in terms of quality. I was getting ready to drop it after the first six, but this give me hope that the show is going to get better.
Mar 9, 2010 7:25 AM

May 2008
Such a great episode *u* That last scene with Nono and Hachimaki made my heart melt :P
defunct-ncioMar 9, 2010 8:58 AM

May 17, 2010 12:05 AM

Sep 2009
This was the best episode so far for me. Nice character interactions.
Jun 10, 2010 4:55 AM
Mar 2010
Finally. An episode that is neither preachy nor contrived, exploring a consequence of the space age without the heavy-handedness plaguing the series up to this point. I was beginning to question the tastes of the people who recommended it to me.
Sep 10, 2010 2:53 PM

Feb 2009
watkinzez said:
Finally. An episode that is neither preachy nor contrived, exploring a consequence of the space age without the heavy-handedness plaguing the series up to this point. I was beginning to question the tastes of the people who recommended it to me.

QFT
Sep 16, 2010 1:05 PM

Aug 2009
Nono-chan is too much adorable. She's so pure, so gentle...
My heart melt, too.
Oct 10, 2010 2:58 AM

Jun 2009
Hachi trying out the old man's exercise gripper
Low gravity disorder

a little drama but everything else is good
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Dec 2, 2010 5:08 PM

Jan 2009
Pretty good ep. Almost makes me forget the last few eps. It still tries to deliver the meaning and beauty of life and this time it actually works.
Jan 20, 2011 2:10 PM

Aug 2009
that was so cool. It's like the history of settling the earth, no matter where people went, they became natives of that place and it became their home. It's so cool to think that people might someday feel that way about the moon or other planets

here's hoping we don't blow ourselves up or anything before that happens :P
Jan 22, 2011 8:24 AM

Aug 2010
shootsbrah said:
lol, "doubt" IT'S CALLED BS!!
Loved that scene

If she is proud to be living up at the moon i have no problem with that
Mar 31, 2011 10:47 PM
Jul 2010
I was just about to stop watching this after that ninja crap. Glad I didn't, since this was quite good.

tizara said:
that was so cool. It's like the history of settling the earth, no matter where people went, they became natives of that place and it became their home. It's so cool to think that people might someday feel that way about the moon or other planets

Yeah, it's really interesting. The moon is difficult to imagine as a native place, or powerful scenery. My reaction would be that the desert is cold, still, lifeless, and lacking detail.

I wonder if someone like Nono considers it an ocean only because she hasn't seen Earth, or if 'home' in itself is enough to make something compelling.
Aug 1, 2011 8:31 PM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Wow.. that was one hell of an episode. The scene with Nono and Hachi on the surface of the moon, with his monologue, was really really touching. And, I also, cannot see how you could possibly call this filler. Hachi experiences character development, and Tanabe may feel something for him. Sounds like progress to me.

Finally picked this series back up and plan on actually finishing it and, you know what? I totally one hundred percent agree with my opinion from 2 years ago. Great freaking episode and I hope the series keeps this up as it has been lacking up until this episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 4, 2011 3:45 PM

Mar 2011
Man, the romance of space is something we just dont get enough of now.

This SoL is not so much Slice of Life, but Space of Life!!! *boom tish*

Nono-chan the Lunarian was heart warming like a chapter of Yotsuba!
Oct 29, 2011 10:35 PM

Jan 2009
I just can't feel this series
Feb 28, 2012 4:36 AM

Aug 2010
Oh my

This episode was great
Apr 19, 2012 12:12 AM

Apr 2010
insan3soldiern said:
insan3soldiern said:

Finally picked this series back up and plan on actually finishing it and, you know what? I totally one hundred percent agree with my opinion from 2 years ago. Great freaking episode and I hope the series keeps this up as it has been lacking up until this episode.

this episode sheds light on the show from my perspective; i was beginning to think that what i saw for the first six episodes would be consistent with the rest of the season, so i'm VERY glad for episode 7.

best episode as of yet.
Jul 23, 2012 12:48 PM

Jul 2011
matmetal said:
I just can't feel this series

Yeah, for some reason, me neither.
Aug 10, 2012 12:15 PM

Sep 2011
That ending was a feel good scene. The music really brought out the best of it. :3
Nov 2, 2012 4:31 PM

Nov 2011
Beautiful music this episode especially towards the end there.
Jan 24, 2013 12:23 PM

May 2012
Interesting episode especially that ending, makes you think about how life is supported on different planets with different gravity environments.

Either way nice episode, lets see what's next but lol that Nono-chan is only 12 was quite surprising :p
Oct 29, 2013 4:31 PM
Jul 2012
The best episode till now.
Nov 28, 2013 4:15 PM

Nov 2009
So . . . They still haven't found a way to stop the radiation? Then who the hell would want to work in space, knowing that it's like standing underneath an x-ray 24/7 (Sure they are different wave types but you get the point) . . .
Jan 11, 2014 2:59 PM

Apr 2010
I'm sorry but besides everything else I really enjoyed the background music at the end :D

Feb 28, 2014 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
Hachi and I had the same reaction: She's 12?!! Haha. Kind of sad she'll probably never get to see Earth with that frail body :(

Tanabe got jealous when she saw Hachi with Nono :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 2, 2014 8:49 PM

Jun 2013
This episode really made me think.. what is low gravity sex like? It must be the must boring thing ever. Frail bodies cannot stand the hard pounding and it would all be slow-mo with little friction.
Glad I'm here on earth, spacenoids are truly cursed.. XD
Apr 19, 2014 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
*slow clap*

This episode is a lot better just because Tanabe had little screentime. Fuck that bitch.
May 27, 2014 11:51 PM

Jun 2009
"I have the weirdest pedo boner right now"
- Hachimaki

To me this was the best episode so far.
Jun 12, 2014 12:52 AM

Apr 2012
Masssssive improvement from the last episode lol

Too bad Nono is a trap. Could have stirred up some drama.

Jul 30, 2014 1:05 PM

Aug 2013
Wow! That story quality improvement!
And Kuroishi Hitomi song <3 (yes, because her songs I discovered this anime)
5/5
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 5, 2014 6:25 AM

Nov 2011
OH MY JUDAS

WOW

FINALLY!

I had a feeling right at the end of episode 6 that episode 7 would be the pace changer. The preview for ep7 looked entirely different from the previous eps.

Oh my Satan

Oh.......is this not Slice of Life? This IS, isn't it? Well even if it wasn't, I am unable to view this as a "filler." You'd be a retard to think so. We were able to learn more about the personalities of the characters, and I'm finally starting to get attached. Hachi's attachment to Nono (HOW SWEEEEEEET), Tanabe's (finally I remembered her name) jealousy for Hachi, two things that were very nice to know. Shows you that Hachi is really also a sweet kid inside.

Although it was rather obvious that Nono was a child (at least for people with basic knowledge of space and gravitational physics). Even if you didn't know that people who grow up in 0.1654 g's would theoretically be taller because their weight would push them down, Nono's voice gave it all away. Not just her damn voice wtf; even her personality and maybe we could even include her chest? Lol.

But Pauldamn was that a finally decent episode. I love how Planetes knows how to do things in a realistically subtle manner like showing Hachimaki ACTUALLY SMOKE, his quiet remarks such as after he ate the apple, Fee talking about how hard his head was after she left the room, and a lot more stuff from previous eps.

Aha I can see what you're doing, Sunrise.

Zeally said:

Is that for real?

Seriously dude what the FUCK is wrong with you
If that's TRUE, then that's a spoiler, and if it's a spoiler, you should have put it in spoiler tags you asshole.

AH GODDAMNIT
zetsu_shorenAug 5, 2014 6:40 AM
Oct 25, 2014 7:28 AM

Nov 2013
The music at the end... damn. The overall direction and production of the series is phenomenal. There's so much subtle expression even in animating the giant clunky space suits, I'm genuinely impressed with the visuals. The imagery of the ocean was really well executed.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 1, 2014 2:44 PM

Apr 2009
Heartwarming!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2015 5:23 AM

Feb 2014
Easily the best episode of the series so far.
Aug 12, 2015 12:58 PM
Dec 2014
Pleasant.
Dec 16, 2015 1:54 AM

Apr 2013
Best one so far
Jan 8, 2016 5:22 AM
May 2012
This Anime has great music~
Beautiful scene at the end. Tanabe is getting jealous, huh.

zetsu_shoren said:
OH MY JUDAS

WOW

FINALLY!

I had a feeling right at the end of episode 6 that episode 7 would be the pace changer. The preview for ep7 looked entirely different from the previous eps.

Oh my Satan

Oh.......is this not Slice of Life? This IS, isn't it? Well even if it wasn't, I am unable to view this as a "filler." You'd be a retard to think so. We were able to learn more about the personalities of the characters, and I'm finally starting to get attached. Hachi's attachment to Nono (HOW SWEEEEEEET), Tanabe's (finally I remembered her name) jealousy for Hachi, two things that were very nice to know. Shows you that Hachi is really also a sweet kid inside.

Although it was rather obvious that Nono was a child (at least for people with basic knowledge of space and gravitational physics). Even if you didn't know that people who grow up in 0.1654 g's would theoretically be taller because their weight would push them down, Nono's voice gave it all away. Not just her damn voice wtf; even her personality and maybe we could even include her chest? Lol.

But Pauldamn was that a finally decent episode. I love how Planetes knows how to do things in a realistically subtle manner like showing Hachimaki ACTUALLY SMOKE, his quiet remarks such as after he ate the apple, Fee talking about how hard his head was after she left the room, and a lot more stuff from previous eps.

Aha I can see what you're doing, Sunrise.

Zeally said:

Is that for real?

Seriously dude what the FUCK is wrong with you
If that's TRUE, then that's a spoiler, and if it's a spoiler, you should have put it in spoiler tags you asshole.

AH GODDAMNIT

A trap?!?!
Jan 31, 2016 4:57 PM

Aug 2013
That was pretty depressing :|
The old man dying and the impossible dream of that girl, doomed to live and die in that place. At the same time, you could say that we, human in our modern days, are stuck on Earth the same way she's stuck on moon. We're not that much different.

The old man suicide was pretty sad, but at least, he didn't die fighting pointlessly against a disease he can't win over. He died where he wanted to and the way he wanted to.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 20, 2016 6:04 PM

Jul 2015
Amazing episode, nothing to say, perfect !
Jun 24, 2016 3:42 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Hachimaki is destined to spend the whole time of his moon-vacation recovering in the hospital. At least he makes friends with Nono.

She is a lunarian, which means she was born and raised on the moon. Only four of her kind seem to exist. Because she has low gravity disorder she will never be able to visit earth, because her body couldn't stand the gravity. However her body seems to grow faster. She is only 12 yet as big as Hachimaki.

Then there was this guy who wanted to commit suicide in space because he suffered from Leukemia. Could Fee and Hachi retrieve him to the hospital in time? I don't know.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Jun 25, 2016 5:10 AM

Mar 2015
This episode is very educational. Damn radiation on space. Lunarian?? Are they really exist in real life?
Thats why Nono voice is loli huh?

Tanabe got a feelings on Hachi!

What a beautiful background music! Sung by Kuroishi Hitomi? Its on par with Kalafina! Gotta download that song now!

4.3/5
Oct 9, 2016 11:52 PM

Jan 2013
Well, to me this was the best episode so far, it was really warm hearted.
Dec 29, 2016 3:58 AM

Dec 2016
Love this show so much and this is the episode that made me love it. Seeing the harsh consequence but equally strong desire to do it anyway is such a human thing and I love this episode for capturing that emotion and feeling. So many of us do what we want and keep doing it even though it will hurt us. Sometimes it's as simple as eating fried food when we know we shouldn't other times it's as profound as life. We keep going because the bad is what makes the good so sweet.

We've always had explorers, we've always had adventurers and they always know there are real consequences. This episode captures that feeling so well, the optimistic side in Nono, and the pessimistic side. I'm so glad this episode set the tone going forward as it's incredible, and the show is better for building on these themes.

Also Lunarians are an awesome thought experiment and some day reality and it's going to have real emotional and political consequences and it's one of my favorite sci-fi concepts. Dating all the way back to Asimov. Both allegory and future issue. Just so much depth there.
Jan 14, 2017 6:41 PM

Apr 2014
much better episode than the last couple
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.