Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2011 11:31 PM

Aug 2009
I can't even express how I felt about the ending without it coming out as word vomit, definitely anime of the season, maybe even YEAR.

10/10.

Now I kind of want to go and re-watch Utena..
Dec 24, 2011 11:34 PM
Oct 2009
love the show, the story, and the ride, even love the ending but didnt understand a god damn thing... still a 10/10
Dec 24, 2011 11:55 PM

May 2011
Mawaru penguindrum was def an intresting series and very abstract when it came to all the telling the story but still I think it was done pretty well. I give it a 8/10, also the theme songs weren't that bad either.

On a side note, for the last scene where sho and kanba passed by the house as kids... idk if anyone caught on to that but there is an episode where something like that happened before in an earlier episode.
Dec 25, 2011 2:13 AM
Dec 2011
I don't mind that everything wasn't explained [besides, I had a feeling it would turn out that way], theories are fun ♥. However, I wish the connection between humans and penguins could be more clear. Great anime [though not perfect], the best of 2011 for me. 9/10.
NostalgiaGeekDec 25, 2011 2:17 AM
Dec 25, 2011 7:40 AM

Dec 2008
@Minmei -- I guess it has to do with things like identity, the concept of family / invisibility in the crowd, etc. since penguins live in groups, all in all a nice blend imo :D

@Rand0mless -- also "Dayone!", that Sanetoshi says from time to time, something like "I know right!" :pp
Dec 25, 2011 9:42 AM

Jun 2011
Still sad that Himari and Ringo dont remember Shouma and Kanba
Dec 25, 2011 12:14 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
It's kinda ambiguous whether Kan and Shou are switched out with the two boys in episode 1 or are their existence now the same as that of Momoka and co (i.e. ghosts).

The fact that they are still with the penguins *may* signify that they became supernatural entities....

All in all, a solid 9/10 for symbolism and emotional portrayal of the characters. The abstraction of the concepts is a bit fizzy but did work in favor of the series imo.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 25, 2011 2:26 PM

Feb 2009
I just can't relate to this ending, or to the series as a whole =/
Dec 25, 2011 3:30 PM

Aug 2009
it's been two hours of watching and I am here still trembling. I am glad I watch this series again after holding nearly drop it for a while.
Dec 25, 2011 4:02 PM

Jul 2010
I'm so happy it got a bitter-sweet ending, I haven't cried while watching anime for a long time, but when Himari opened that note, the tears would not stop ;__;,

overall 9/10
Dec 25, 2011 4:09 PM

Aug 2011
wakka9ca said:
It's kinda ambiguous whether Kan and Shou are switched out with the two boys in episode 1 or are their existence now the same as that of Momoka and co (i.e. ghosts).

The fact that they are still with the penguins *may* signify that they became supernatural entities....

I'm wondering the same
Dec 25, 2011 5:24 PM

Sep 2009
It's not a bad ending, there's no argument there.

Further down the series it seems the symbolism and enigmas were spiraling out of hand thus leading to Episode 24; the vortex of confusion.

Don't get me wrong, I know what happened. There's just too many loose ends for me to completely wrap my mind around it. The whole concept of "Fate Transfer" is still very iffy, who exactly is Momoka, are their more then one "spell" since I don't see how anyone besides Momoka would have acknowledge of it.

Biggest question is who or what is Kanba and Shouma in relation to the penguins?

I'm probably expecting too many answers for this type of genre but it was still well done and tons remain to be examined and dissected.

8/10 for the Last Episode.
Dec 25, 2011 5:29 PM

Jan 2011
I hope it gets a movie remake like Utena~ It would be fabulous max!

Also, so many Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru references on this episode! Seems like, at the end, Shouma is supposed to be the scorpion.
Dec 25, 2011 5:46 PM

Jan 2009
9/10 for the series.

It's not Steins;Gate, but it was a fun ride! Both of my ships came to fruition, and it would have gotten a 10 had it stayed that way XD I also wish things could have been more clearly explained (someone on another site said there should be an OVA with Momoka explaining every thing XD), but I'm not completely against fan theories and personal beliefs.

I'm already re-watching it, so maybe it's one of those shows where you have to watch it a few times to really get it.

And I actually have to thank Yumekichi for - unknowingly - getting me into this show. I saw one of his Himari .gifs and loved her design, and started watching the show. So THANKS, Yumekichi!
LadyOrihimeDec 25, 2011 5:49 PM
Dec 25, 2011 6:07 PM

May 2009
wha is this i dont even... meh, dont really care since i stopped getting what the hell this was about since ep 10 so who cares ~w~
Dec 25, 2011 9:59 PM

Jun 2008
The ending is somewhat cheesy, but abstract enough to make you wonder. I guess most of the loose ends have been tied up, but there are still some things I don't understand.

For one, what’s with those boxes that Kanba and Shouma were in? Was that real, or was that metaphorical? Why were they in those boxes in the first place?

If the boxes were metaphorical, I assume they symbolize that they’re unwanted children (like the kids in Child Broiler). I’d understand about Kanba, since his dad said something about choosing him, but what about Shouma? Kenzan seemed pretty nice to Shouma, he was happy about Shouma’s birth and all, so I don’t think Shouma’s unwanted/unloved?

Secondly, in the after transfer world, if Himari never got sick, wouldn’t she auditioned with Hikari and Hibari as Triple H? Yet there was Double H in that world and Himari’s not a singer as far as I can tell.

I’m still not clear on how Sanetoshi fits in the events of this episode. Did that fate transfer erase his existence/sent him back to his imagine world? Was that why Momoka was saying he lost? Back in 95 Momoka tried to stop him and the spell was half-cast I think, so did Shouma and Kanba complete the spell?
Dec 25, 2011 10:23 PM

Oct 2010
;_____; i´m so sad, i really loved this anime, is one of my favs already...
Dec 26, 2011 12:26 PM
May 2011
Why is it over!?
It's not supposed to be over yet...

Cool ending, to be honest.
Guessed Kanba woulda die, but shouma...? Oh well. This works out fine, too.

What should I do now, without my weekly dose of penguins?

Also, I laugh at people thinking the ending was stolen from Madoka. It's like saying Steins;Gate's time travelling was stolen from Madoka as well.
Dec 26, 2011 3:03 PM

Dec 2008
Bird_Eater said:
What should I do now, without my weekly dose of penguins?

They still haven't released the whole OST, the CD drama and any upcoming interviews with Ikuhara-san, so I'm looking forward to these things. :P
Dec 26, 2011 7:25 PM

Jun 2011
Ending= Penguindrum mystery solved. Exceeded my expectations. It was freakin' beautiful.

The title "Aishiteru" is a really fitting ep title for the episode. Brothers who were ready to sacrifice for the ones they love, Shouma for Ringo and Kanba for Himari.

the episode totally engulfed me with mixed emotions, but in the end...
(^∧^)← it made me SAD yet HAPPY at the same time.

The impact that this anime gave me will never be forgotten. 10/10
"Them who looks blind at ANIME, looks blind at SALVATION."
Dec 26, 2011 10:48 PM

Aug 2010
Oh my ****ing ****. This anime is so overwhelming with the symbolism and plot, and there are so many twists! The ending...I'm crying on the inside about how this all turned out, yet I'm so happy about it! Shoma and Kanba are erased/rewritten as their younger selves talking about the symbol of an apple...which directly takes it back to the first few episodes where they had the NPC boys walking down the ally talking about it...

This series is definitely on my rewatch list. Will do rewatch once I acquire all the Blu Ray eps and have the substantial time to watch.

I'm hoping for some sort of OVA or something Steins;Gate will be pulling off...A MOVIE.

Overall Rating: 10/10. It's hard to say about the best anime of the year, since Steins;Gate is on top of my list. Maybe a tie for the number 1 spot? :P

EDIT: I forgot to mention...NO MORE FABULOUS MAX FRIDAYS! :(
(I usually get my eps on Fridays so, bleh.)
GigaSPXDec 27, 2011 4:53 PM
Dec 27, 2011 6:07 AM

Mar 2008
MapleRose said:
I’d understand about Kanba, since his dad said something about choosing him, but what about Shouma?

Kanba's father REGRET choosing him.
Dec 27, 2011 10:21 AM

Dec 2009
Okay, I'm kinda confused but I loved this so much. ;A;

9/10
Dec 27, 2011 10:28 AM
Nov 2010
I love this episode, though it would have been better if Ringo and Shouma had ended together....But I'm slightly satisfied with the "I love you" that was sweet

This episode 5/5
Overall 8/10
Dec 27, 2011 10:31 AM
May 2011
MapleRose said:

Secondly, in the after transfer world, if Himari never got sick, wouldn’t she auditioned with Hikari and Hibari as Triple H? Yet there was Double H in that world and Himari’s not a singer as far as I can tell.

Because she lived with a different family, perhaps she didn't even get to go to the same school as them? Because it looks to me as if she's never even met Double H. She said that she was collecting their merch spoke as if she were just another fan.

Blah, I was hoping at the end she was gonna be in Triple H as well..... )):
Dec 27, 2011 10:40 AM

Sep 2011
I wrote my thoughts about Kanba/Himari on tumblr. Here it is, in case anyone is interested in taking a look at them: http://targetlost.tumblr.com/post/14866954581/mawaru-penguindrum-24

I enjoyed writing it.
Dec 27, 2011 3:59 PM

Feb 2011
Wow, almost have no words to express my feelings, towards this ending. Episode ended about half an hour ago and I'm still crying.
One of the best, if not THE best I've ever seen. The symbolism was just...wow.

10/10 series and faved.
Dec 27, 2011 9:18 PM

Jan 2010
Bittersweet ending..I don't know if my tears out for sadness or the beauty of the story?

Dec 27, 2011 10:36 PM

Oct 2011
wonderful ending :( i'd say one of the best series this year
Nope.
Dec 27, 2011 10:59 PM

Aug 2011
http://youtu.be/3Qu6_ov-r4Y
What do you think?
arrozykamehamehaDec 27, 2011 11:05 PM
Dec 28, 2011 9:07 AM

May 2010
YayPepsi said:
I wrote my thoughts about Kanba/Himari on tumblr. Here it is, in case anyone is interested in taking a look at them: http://targetlost.tumblr.com/post/14866954581/mawaru-penguindrum-24

I enjoyed writing it.

I love your interpretation ,well done
Dec 28, 2011 12:40 PM

Sep 2011
nonlly said:
YayPepsi said:

I enjoyed writing it.

I love your interpretation ,well done

Thank you! I love these two a lot, so I have a lot to say about them. xD
Dec 28, 2011 3:35 PM

Apr 2010
arrozykamehameha said:
What do you think?

It's damn great.
Dec 28, 2011 6:53 PM

Apr 2011
Mindblown.
Dec 28, 2011 7:50 PM

Aug 2011
Solkiskey said:
arrozykamehameha said:
What do you think?

It's damn great.

Thanks! :)
Dec 29, 2011 8:55 AM

Aug 2009
nearly cried...
such a bittersweet ending...
but it kinda sad that ringo and himari didn't know about kanba and shouma
:(
Dec 29, 2011 11:56 AM

Jun 2008
...wait, all Ringo had to do to change fates was say that one line? They could have solved all these problems so long ago!

It was a great show, and at least an interesting ending, but I think they waited to long to try to explain some stuff and thus it was weakly explained or not even bothered with. Like other people said...what was with the boxes Kanba and Shoma were in?

And moreover, how are the two alive in the other fate line if they took the sacrifice to change it? Momoka didn't live in an alternate fate after her sacrifice, so why these two? And why were they reborn so young so as to ruin all the shippings?

And why did Sanetoshi not do anything to stop them in the last scene instead of just standing around like a doofus?

Lots of missed opportunities, but still probably the best anime I've seen all year.

Dec 29, 2011 1:18 PM
Jul 2009
darkares said:
...wait, all Ringo had to do to change fates was say that one line? They could have solved all these problems so long ago!

It's a "blue bird of happiness" thing. I mean, the important thing wasn't the line, but the feelings behind it. What changed fate wasn't the spell, but Ringo's love for the brothers and Himari, which had grown during the course of the series to the point she was willing to give up her life for them.

That feeling, which was only possible due to everything Ringo went through during the series, is what made the miracle possible, not the line.

darkares said:
how are the two alive in the other fate line if they took the sacrifice to change it? Momoka didn't live in an alternate fate after her sacrifice, so why these two? And why were they reborn so young so as to ruin all the shippings?

The last scene was a reference to the Night on the Galactic Railroad, so Kanba and Shouma are not really alive. Kanba says so himself: "Death is not the end, but the beginning". The beginning of the new adventure, an adventure in the afterlife.

It's pretty self-explanatory actually, if you pay attention.

darkares said:
And why did Sanetoshi not do anything to stop them in the last scene instead of just standing around like a doofus?

He wasn't a real person. He was only the personification of a curse. He said so himself. That's why he couldn't really do anything but manipulate people to do what he wanted.
Dec 29, 2011 5:16 PM
May 2011
1idd0kun said:

The last scene was a reference to the Night on the Galactic Railroad, so Kanba and Shouma are not really alive. Kanba says so himself: "Death is not the end, but the beginning". The beginning of the new adventure, an adventure in the afterlife.

It's pretty self-explanatory actually, if you pay attention.

I had no idea.
I thought that because they were willing to give away their lives for love they were rewarded with their own apples, and thus reincarnated.
Dec 29, 2011 5:37 PM

Aug 2010
Damn, I didn't think those two being in the end also actually alluded to another series. I really thought they were just gone out of existence to an end like this.

I really hope there's another series in the near future like this one. I'll watch it after I can catch up on RG Utena. ~__~
GigaSPXDec 29, 2011 5:41 PM
Dec 29, 2011 6:10 PM
Jul 2009
epiklow said:
I thought that because they were willing to give away their lives for love they were rewarded with their own apples, and thus reincarnated.

That's a rather mathematical way of seeing it...

Anyway, the apple means "life" in the sense that without love and purpose your life has no meaning, and so you'll never amount to anything. In other words, it's a metaphor.

The brothers were rewarded, with the happiness of those who lived on (Himari, Ringo, Mazako, etc). That's what gives their sacrifice meaning. This is also in line with the Night on the Galactic Railroad.
Dec 29, 2011 8:10 PM

Nov 2007
what the fuck did I just watch? I know this was straight weird, and random from the beginning but this ENDING MADE NO SENSE. all the freaky interludes and flashbacks didn't help. there is so much unexplained.

what the hell was behind what was happening to them as kids? what really happened with Momokoa? Sanetoshi? The Takakura parents?

everyone just forgets Shoma and Kanba and they vanish? wtf kind of ending is that?

I enjoyed the series but the wrap up and ending was terrible. It makes me want to drop my score down quite a bit. there's so many plot holes and inconsistencies among all the other things that don't make sense.

I mean really, I STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED.
Dec 30, 2011 7:08 AM

Jul 2011
Great anime, nice story but some parts are too confusing, especially the final...
Dec 30, 2011 10:12 AM
Sep 2009
FABULOUS MAX. That is all.

On a side note: I understand that many people are still confused. Rewatch the anime, there's so much more to the story and you'll be surprised at all of the symbolism and abstract this anime had. It's art at its finest.

Also if I were to rate it any lower than 10 it's probably because they run the anime weekly (if only it was daily).

EDIT: I found this AMAZING post that is very well written that might help you people just get the gist of the story.

A purposeless Shouma saved Himari and gave her a family, thus shared his apple with her; Himari was henceforth given a purpose, but keep in mind that Shouma received nothing in turn. Then Kanba gets accepted into the family and Himari gives him the bandaid to keep the pain away, thus Kanba decides he'll do anything for her; here Himari was unknowingly sharing her apple with Kanba, because she gave him a purpose. Kanba was able to actually receive the apple because he wasn't completely empty and devoid of purpose like Shouma himself was, as Kanba already had precious people he wanted to protect (Masako and Mario, his words on the cage are a reference to them) as such his "box" was able to connect to the outside world, if only for a moment and the apple reaches him. And when he shares it with Shouma, Shouma's purpose becomes precisely that: Himari no Tame Ni + Kanba = Takakura Family's wellbeing.

That's the reason why Shouma is so single-minded about keeping the family united; because thats' what gave meaning to his existence, as such was what he inherited that day Kanba shared his apple with him. He, however, still remains kind of empty and from that comes his apparent uncapability to love, but Ringo comes around to change all that. When Ringo (whose name speaks for itself) comes around, she effectively becomes an apple for Shouma, a "whole" one all to himself, and she fulfills the part of Shouma that had remained closed-off to the world. He isn't able to accept it however until he lets his barriers down. The key difference here is that Ringo's metaphorical apple didn't give him a purpose, as he already had one, but gave him the will to break the chains of fate and be assertive, which is what he lacked.

Yuri and Tabuki talking about needing to be loved, and that is the apple. Being loved gives life meaning. Without this they would just 'become invisible', they would be unneeded and might aswell not exist, equivalent to death. This explains why Kanba broke apart and a flash fo the Child broiler was shown, he gave up his whole purpose (his half and the half Shouma gave back) and became invisible, he died. Whereas Shouma had an apple to himself, which he sacrificed in place of Ringo causing him to die in the flames.

Himari was the lamb chosen to die by the curse. This is why such lengths were needed to save her.

The cages represent their lives and social interacting, they are what Sanetoshi was talking about: "the box calles 'self'", the walls between people. Kanba and Shouma were 'unwanted children' and were starved of love, until Kanba received some from Himari. This was shared with Shouma creating their family. This shared love giving both of them life was eventually put back together to give life back to Himari who had died. (It may be a little hard to wrap your head around the apples, Penguindrums being both a metaphor for love/purpose and an actual thing giving life.) They were never released from their cages, they just shared between them and were not starved. Sanetoshi never found love or a purpose, and no one reached out to him as Kanba did to Shouma. He was alone in his cage with the walls seperating him from everyone else, he hated the world and wanted to destroy it.

"Simply put, the apple is also a reward for those chosen to die for love."

Because both boys chose love in the end (like the apple dialogue in episode 1 says), they both are rewarded with their own apples, making this "just the beginning."

These 'apples' are their Penguindrum. Shouma gave Himari, Himari gave Kanba, Kanba gave Shouma. Mawaru Penguindrum

Also, another blog that explain this anime VERY well. You might enjoy reading this more than the above because there's pictures going a long with it. http://8ths.in/category/anime/mawaru-penguindrum/

Lastly, a very useful post that explain all the symbolism in the anime: http://behind-the.nihonreview.com/20111204/interpreting-the-concept-of-fate-through-mawaru-penguindrums-visual-landscape/

Yes, I'm very very very IMPRESSED by this anime that I've to post all of these shit so you guys can see how amazing this series is.

FritscDec 30, 2011 11:04 AM
Dec 31, 2011 8:53 PM

Oct 2011
Amazing... Truly fabulous max~
At first I thought this anime was gonna be a stupid comedy about girl wearing penguin hats and penguins in general. Man I was wrong.
It's confusing, but you can interpret it in so many ways. Such an amusing watch.
9/10
St-HubertDec 31, 2011 10:32 PM
Jan 2, 2012 2:20 PM
Mar 2008
One of the best animes I've watched, ever.
Jan 2, 2012 8:12 PM
Feb 2011
I had to force myself past the first half of the series out of pure dislike of Kanba. But once you started to see his true colors more clearly I was hoping for his ass to get kicked... sadly enough it never happened. The other lead characters are to forgiving. But was still a great ending.

I just wish Sho gave his life for Himari. Maybe if they played off the whole soal mate thing for some extra romance. They could have put more emotion into the show if they made it a love triangle or unrequited love.

Tho I did tear up when Himari read the note in the stuff animal.

8/10
Jan 3, 2012 2:38 PM
Jul 2009
korn7809 said:
I just wish Sho gave his life for Himari. Maybe if they played off the whole soal mate thing for some extra romance.

But if Shouma is Himari's soulmate because he gave her and apple, then Kanba is Shouma's soulmate, since he was the one who gave Shouma the apple in the first place. That wouldn't be the sort of triangle you were hoping for, would it? lol

But I think the translation "soulmate" is not appropriate withing the context of the series. The Japanese term is "umme no hito" which literally translates to "person of fate". If you think about it that way, it becomes clear "umme no hito" doesn't refer to someone you're "fated to be with" (ie: soulmate) but rather someone that "changed your fate". Kanba changed Shouma's fate when he gave him an apple, and then Shouma changed Himari's fate when he gave the apple to her.

Now, on the other hand, the romance between Ringo and Shouma did play out as a "fated romance" of sort.
1idd0kunJan 3, 2012 8:52 PM
Jan 3, 2012 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
I've seen confusing storylines before, but this one is the most confusing anime I've seen so far.
I think I got the gist of most of the stuff that went around, but I was left out in some other things as well.
Jan 3, 2012 7:09 PM

Aug 2009
What an amazing series this has been. The ending was bittersweet, yet beautiful at the same time. Though it was to be expected, just as how the mood was set from the very first episode. The idea of materializing love as apples, and passing said apples around was brilliant. A true story of love and sacrifice. A true masterpiece.

Together with Madoka, the two are the best anime I have watched in years.

Fritsc said:
EDIT: I found this AMAZING post that is very well written that might help you people just get the gist of the story.

Thank you for sharing. Anyone who doesn't understand the plot very well should read this! :)
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 15, 2011

168 by FarCritical »»
Mar 27, 10:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.