Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2011 9:51 AM

Nov 2010
Enjoyable as hell but I want to give it a rewatch just to make sure I have everything straight and see it without sitting on the edge of my seat every week.
Dec 23, 2011 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
8163264128 said:
2. Momoka and Sanetoshi remained glorified plot devices with really inane motivations. How did he gain magical powers? Why was Momoka, a completely normal girl, granted a fate altering spell?

Sanetoshi is able to curse people, exists in an otherworldly realm like the library and revives them with some sort of a spell that's called "the survival strategy". It has been hinted throughout the series that he's not human, or at least not an ordinary human being, and Momoka's urge to banish him from this world like he's some sort of a demon totally clenches it. He kinds of reminds me of Wilhelm from the Xenosaga series and Nyarlathotep from Persona 2.

As for Momoka, yeah, I was disappointed that they didn't elaborate on how she got hold of the diary or how she learned the spell. I hope the novels explain it.

3. If "LET US SHARE THE FRUIT OF FATE" was enough to change fate, what was the point of the diary?

As it was stated in the previous episode, the spell was hidden in the diary, thus why Sanetoshi wanted to burn the diary and the spell along with it.

4. Yuri and Tabuki's actions in the first 18 episodes are absurd in retrospective. What were they trying to do, anyway?

Both Tabuki and Yuri were in love with Momoka and were greatly indebted to her for her saving them from their deaths. They wanted to avenge her and were desperately searching for the Takakura parents' whereabouts. In the end, they realized that Momoka wanted to them to accept themselves for what they were and appreciate the gift of life and love like their words in the end indicated.

5. Masako's manipulation of Kanba's ex-girlfriends was pointless and served no real purpose in the story.

Masako had incestuous romantic feelings for Kanba, but Kanba was disgusted by them like Ep 11 hinted. She was just jealous and didn't want any other girl to get near him. She was just like a certain little sister from Utena who bullied any girl who got near her brother.

6.What was the source of PingGroup's seemingly limitless resources?

It was hinted that they got money from carrying out assassinations.

These are based on my understanding of the series, so anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, there's a manga by Ikuhara and Be-papas that's called "The World of S&M". In that manga, there's a magical book and two dolls that were made from its paper, which turned them into some sort of magical dolls. Now that I've finished PD I couldn't help but remember the diary and penguin hats whenever recalling that manga, I wonder if the idea behind them came from that. I must warn whoever intends to read that manga that it's discontinued, so don't expect everything to get explained by the end.
removed-userDec 23, 2011 10:16 AM
Dec 23, 2011 10:11 AM
Dec 2011
I dont know if anyone else noticed it, but that conversation Kanba and Shouma were having at the end of the episode (about the apple and faith) walking down the road was the same one we heard earlier in the series if im not mistaken. (like episode 1)

Some sort of coincidence there maybe?

11/10 for sure :D
Dec 23, 2011 10:18 AM

Jul 2011
the ending was so artistic beautiful and bittersweet, and the music is exceptional!
i give this anime 10/10

still sad that Shoma and Ringo wont be together :(
Dec 23, 2011 10:32 AM

Feb 2010
Arjay-nyan said:
Someone explain the ending to me. ಥ_ಥ Why did Kanba died ?And how did Shoma take the fate transfer punishment from Ringo ?

I guess anyone can take the punishment , about kanba , there's no way to know it.

what was strange is that ringo was wishing for saving himari , yet she ends changing the world and also saving mario.
Dec 23, 2011 10:58 AM

Mar 2009
thank you Yumekichi11 for the lovely review !_!
Dec 23, 2011 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
All of my tears/10
Dec 23, 2011 11:02 AM

Oct 2010
Vanisher said:
Arjay-nyan said:
Someone explain the ending to me. ಥ_ಥ Why did Kanba died ?And how did Shoma take the fate transfer punishment from Ringo ?

I guess anyone can take the punishment , about kanba , there's no way to know it.
Sure there is, the child broiler as clue. Kanba most likely had to die due to the toll of the payment he had to do. After all to bring all he killed is a pain in the ass along with the destruction he made not to mention the heavy price of what he wants already in regards to Himari.
Vanisher said:
what was strange is that ringo was wishing for saving himari , yet she ends changing the world and also saving mario.
That's because both are connected. The problem is that was not explained. I sense that it has to do with the child broiler. Biggest flaw of this series is that it failed to include and properly balance out Mario.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Dec 23, 2011 11:02 AM

May 2010
Pure amazing. 10/10
Cryed at the end. :(

Loved everything. <3
Even tho I wish Kanba and Sho stayed with Himari and Oganomi. T^T
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Dec 23, 2011 11:05 AM

Nov 2009
Woa such an epic ending ! I'm more than satisfied with it. I thought that only Ringo will die in the end and that would suck ass but im glad that it turned this way.

To be honsest it was confusing and still is in the end but its been a great ride.

9/10 overall
Dec 23, 2011 11:17 AM

Feb 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Vanisher said:
Arjay-nyan said:

Sure there is, the child broiler as clue. Kanba most likely had to die due to the toll of the payment he had to do. After all to bring all he killed is a pain in the ass along with the destruction he made not to mention the heavy price of what he wants already in regards to Himari.
Vanisher said:
That's because both are connected. The problem is that was not explained. I sense that it has to do with the child broiler. Biggest flaw of this series is that it failed to include and properly balance out Mario.

I also think he died because of the constant payment of life he was doing to himari , just a coincidence he died at the same time. But some people believes he also died as a payment of the spell for example.
Dec 23, 2011 11:18 AM
Feb 2011
SO FUCKING GOOD IM CRYING 11/10!
Dec 23, 2011 11:34 AM

Dec 2008
A growing concern of mine was how they were going to wrap it up; I was afraid of being disappointed but this is no longer an issue. Everything I needed to know was finally explained! Funny how I was sobbing and #2 was making fried eggs in the background... lol. The penguins didn't stop doing stupid things even in the end. XD

Still very emotional but wow. Penguin drum was the shared heart/apple of Sho&Kan, not just any apple - only the life-sustaining apple. (Or probably could've been anythings that helps you overcome your self?) Kan won over the box called self by sharing the fruit of fate with Sho and it became their punishment and sin... All in all, most of the symbolism was easy to understand, as others already pointed out. The hemoglobin-penguins representing blood was indeed their life. T_T

I was so focused that I didn't notice Himari was naked almost the entire episode, lol.

Another thing that I really liked is how a lot of things were achieved without being too explicit and visual, like the subtle shounen-ai tones (or was it just me, I wonder).

Gosh, it's amazing to dive into the incredible mind of Ikuhara! And yay for Shouma and Momoka, my favourite chars from MPD! The end roll in the end was epic too, a successfully concluded fate transfer. After that the Destiny Express departured.

Although my feelings toward the anime have wavered at times, I didn't expect the ending to be so fabulous max! I was convinced it would be something intangible and absolutely devoid of meaning and reason, was almost sure I was gonna be disappointed in some way or another, so I'm happy it didn't happen!

10/10

What's going on... This is the third series in 2011 that gets 10/10 from me! :x This never happened to me so far.
Dec 23, 2011 11:38 AM

Jun 2009
I don't know how I feel about the ending or the series. I did like it, then started to lose interest, then got into it again. But the last couple of episodes I just felt bored. The ending is included in this.

It seemed predictable and the heavy use of symbolism didn't do anything for me. It was okay. I did like the artwork and the characters and the plot was okay for the most part. I wouldn't call this my favourite anime or even place it in my top 10.
[/center]
Dec 23, 2011 11:38 AM
Oct 2008
Here is my interpretation of some of the main points leading up to the series finale;
(Tell me if you want to explain any more, I worry about spamming the page!)

Shouma is the only son of the original Takakura family but Kanba was adopted out of his family unit with siblings Masoka and Mario. Himari was the last sibling to be added to the family when Shouma saved Himari from the 'child broiler' (I have some ideas on this) and she became the last addition to the family. Their parents or adopted parents, particularly the father was involved in a terrorist cult to change the world and the subway gas attacks and the murders that the parents carry out then become the sin of the children. (Shouma, Kanba and Himari) Sanetoshi is a 'ghost' and inbodiment of the Takakura curse and takes the form of a dead member of the parent's organisation.

He is in love with the passion of Momoka Oginome, who appears to be a pure-hearted magical girl type who is given a power to transfer fate at a cost- At the time of the subway gas attack she has a confrontation with Sanetoshi and manages to do the spell that transfers fate. However, she only gets half way before Sanetoshi interrupts her and instead of fully transferring fate they enter a incomplete version of the timeline Momoka tried to transfer into. Momoka get's confined into the two penguin hats and she takes the form of the 'Princess of the crystal' that processes both Himari and Mario. Although as for attitude i'd say the hats are an 'incomplete' Momoka as she cannot completely remember about the Penguindrum although she vaguely remembers enough to send Kanba and Kanba on a wild goose chase to find her spell written in her sister's diary.

She uses the 'scorpian' item inside of Kanba (which from the last episode I interupt as his half of the apple) to keep Himari alive. Although later this is not enough and Sanetoshi takes on this role to later use it against him so that Kanba can work for him to prevent Momoka using the spell again. As he himself is not an actual person he cannot do anything to obtain the diary. Kanba has shown from the beginning to save his beloved Himari so he goes along with what Sanetoshi or the 'curse' wants no matter what it involves. He has shown to be in contact with the old organisation his adoptive parents were involved with earlier on in the series except this time he goes further and plans another subway attack. Sanetoshi promises to revive Himari if it suceeds and he further proves this by bringing Masako back from death which makes Kanba's revolve even firmer.
ArgentchanDec 23, 2011 11:49 AM
Dec 23, 2011 11:42 AM

Dec 2008
And! Rock Over Japan made a brief appearance in this episode! :DDD
Dec 23, 2011 11:45 AM

Aug 2007
When Natsume said 'it was just a dream,' I was like 'You pulling me some Alice in Wonderland here?' Actually, that's somehow true... Except that Mawaru Penguindrum totally beats Alice in Wonderland. This... is Steins;gate x Momoka. Err, Madoka. Best anime of the years x 2 = Mawaru Penguindrum.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 23, 2011 11:48 AM

Jul 2009
100/100 TT//////TT
this show is breath-takingly beautiful ♥
[.center] [./center]
Dec 23, 2011 11:50 AM

Dec 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
Vanisher said:
Arjay-nyan said:

I'm guessing that both Kanba and Shoma used the fate transfer at the end,they already used the Fate Transfer spell,Shoma used it when saving Himari from the child broiler and Kanba used it when he gave half of the apple to Sho but they didn't know that the phrase "Let's share the fruit of fate" is the spell until Ringo used it.This is just my guess,I'm already planning to watch it again when I have free time.
Dec 23, 2011 11:53 AM
Feb 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D70caJs2vRM&list=FLZbMEiOJ3NLa7DVkPYuXB_w&index=2&feature=plpp_video

whats the song called when shouma dies?
i know it's Unmei No Ko Tachi but it has different vocals
Dec 23, 2011 11:56 AM

Oct 2010
I loved the translations too:
Ringo: i know the phrase
Sanetoshi: You gotta be shittin me

:,D
Dec 23, 2011 11:58 AM

Dec 2008
@CRAKZOR I was wondering the same things, maybe it will be released in the upcoming BDs.
Dec 23, 2011 12:02 PM
Dec 2007
Dissapointing ending for an exceptional series. It's really too bad that after such a build-up the last arc contained average revelations and moderately interesting plot developments because the series was thematically heavy and meaningful, the characters fantastic and the direction top-notch. It could definitely have been a 10/10 but I'm only ranking it 9/10 because of the introduction and conclusion.

Factsies said:
Clearly copied the ending from Madoka, 4/10

Wait, what ? Have you even watched these series ? They have virtually nothing in common, especially their endings, and even if they had, Madoka's ending / last episode is everything but original, it's actually been seen and made tons of times before, plus it's the weakest episode of the second half of the series (the first half being basically crap but I'm going ahead of myself). I don't know what interesting material there was to copy.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 23, 2011 12:23 PM

May 2008
10/10 loved the series it was amazing..

i guess Kanba and Shouma were reborn or something!
Dec 23, 2011 12:24 PM

May 2010
Crimson_V said:
I loved the translations too:
Ringo: i know the phrase
Sanetoshi: You gotta be shittin me

lol, that was hilarious
nonllyDec 23, 2011 12:34 PM
Dec 23, 2011 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
Jacut said:
Factsies said:
Clearly copied the ending from Madoka, 4/10

Wait, what ? Have you even watched these series ? They have virtually nothing in common, especially their endings, and even if they had, Madoka's ending / last episode is everything but original, it's actually been seen and made tons of times before, plus it's the weakest episode of the second half of the series (the first half being basically crap but I'm going ahead of myself). I don't know what interesting material there was to copy.

I'm halfway through Madoka and I've been wondering what's the buzz about it. Take out Yuki Kajiura's music and the trippy art during witch fights and you get an average plot with average chatacterization. I've been thinking of dropping it. Whoever said it was the best magical girl anime clearly haven't seen the vastly superior Princess Tutu.

As for the reset button/alternate reality/characters sacrificing themselves ending, it's been done in the genre since the first series of Sailor Moon, if that really is the case with Madoka, then you could say Madoka ripped off Sailor Moon. Wait a minute, it got a talking cat! Kyuubey=Artemis ?
removed-userDec 23, 2011 12:31 PM
Dec 23, 2011 12:33 PM
Oct 2008
Something just occured to me- The spell was a phrase that Himari remembered because it was what Shouma said to her when he saved her from her fate. Himari never forgot it. It had a special meaning for her and the double H girls realised this and that is why they choose it as a title. Maybe that is how Himari unknowingly knew the spell.
Dec 23, 2011 12:35 PM

Aug 2010
Electrifying ending, I wished everyone lived though. I'd rather see Himari stay dead than Shouma and Kanba die. 10/10

-yoru_piano-Dec 23, 2011 1:30 PM
Dec 23, 2011 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
This was the epic ending I hoped for... Nah, it was even more than that... I can't believe it, this was just too perfect. I can't say that's it's the best anime ever because I didn't watch a lot, but... OH MY GOD. 11/10

It's clearly a masterpiece. Top-notch in everything possible.
removed-userDec 23, 2011 12:51 PM
Dec 23, 2011 12:51 PM

Jun 2010
I was hoping for a happy ending...but overall this Anime was very good. Ringo was my favourite character (excluding the penguins of course :P) DESTINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Dec 23, 2011 2:12 PM

Aug 2009
I DID NOT LIKE THAT ENDING!!! T_______________T

8/10
Dec 23, 2011 2:48 PM

Feb 2009
A solid 10/10 from me. This was one hell of a ride.

I must admit, I cracked up at the subs.

"I know the spell."
"You're shittin' me."

I nearly busted a gut, I did NOT expect that to be what came up next.
Dec 23, 2011 3:26 PM

Jan 2011
-I did not write this-

Explaination of the show:

A purposeless Shouma saved Himari and gave her a family, thus shared his apple with her; Himari was henceforth given a purpose, but keep in mind that Shouma received nothing in turn. Then Kanba gets accepted into the family and Himari gives him the bandaid to keep the pain away, thus Kanba decides he'll do anything for her; here Himari was unknowingly sharing her apple with Kanba, because she gave him a purpose. Kanba was able to actually receive the apple because he wasn't completely empty and devoid of purpose like Shouma himself was, as Kanba already had precious people he wanted to protect (Masako and Mario, his words on the cage are a reference to them) as such his "box" was able to connect to the outside world, if only for a moment and the apple reaches him. And when he shares it with Shouma, Shouma's purpose becomes precisely that: Himari no Tame Ni + Kanba = Takakura Family's wellbeing.
That's the reason why Shouma is so single-minded about keeping the family united; because thats' what gave meaning to his existence, as such was what he inherited that day Kanba shared his apple with him. He, however, still remains kind of empty and from that comes his apparent uncapability to love, but Ringo comes around to change all that. When Ringo (whose name speaks for itself) comes around, she effectively becomes an apple for Shouma, a "whole" one all to himself, and she fulfills the part of Shouma that had remained closed-off to the world. He isn't able to accept it however until he lets his barriers down. The key difference here is that Ringo's metaphorical apple didn't give him a purpose, as he already had one, but gave him the will to break the chains of fate and be assertive, which is what he lacked.
Yuri and Tabuki talking about needing to be loved, and that is the apple. Being loved gives life meaning. Without this they would just 'become invisible', they would be unneeded and might aswell not exist, equivalent to death. This explains why Kanba broke apart and a flash fo the Child broiler was shown, he gave up his whole purpose (his half and the half Shouma gave back) and became invisible, he died. Whereas Shouma had an apple to himself, which he sacrificed in place of Ringo causing him to die in the flames.
Himari was the lamb chosen to die by the curse. This is why such lengths were needed to save her.
The cages represent their lives and social interacting, they are what Sanetoshi was talking about: "the box calles 'self'", the walls between people. Kanba and Shouma were 'unwanted children' and were starved of love, until Kanba received some from Himari. This was shared with Shouma creating their family. This shared love giving both of them life was eventually put back together to give life back to Himari who had died. (It may be a little hard to wrap your head around the apples, Penguindrums being both a metaphor for love/purpose and an actual thing giving life.) They were never released from their cages, they just shared between them and were not starved. Sanetoshi never found love or a purpose, and no one reached out to him as Kanba did to Shouma. He was alone in his cage with the walls seperating him from everyone else, he hated the world and wanted to destroy it.
"Simply put, the apple is also a reward for those chosen to die for love."
Because both boys chose love in the end (like the apple dialogue in episode 1 says), they both are rewarded with their own apples, making this "just the beginning."
These 'apples' are their Penguindrum. Shouma gave Himari, Himari gave Kanba, Kanba gave Shouma. Mawaru Penguindrum

-somebody on reddit
VioLinkDec 23, 2011 3:40 PM
[center]
Dec 23, 2011 3:26 PM

Apr 2010
Zergneedsfood said:
8/10

T'was good, but the ending wasn't THAT great.

That's how I feel. Great ride and I took a lot from this series, but the ending was a letdown in some ways. It's still my favorite of the year and I liked it a lot more than the other "reset everything better" shows that aired this year.

I also agree with this:
reddit said:
I thoroughly enjoyed watching this show.
Just to preempt a certain criticism though... Yes, maybe I might have ended it differently, and would have liked to have had some previous plot points better explored or drawn into the conclusion - but the fact that we can have these sorts of criticisms speaks to the depth and volume of the story that Ikuhara crafted. It's not perfect, but that's expected with a project like this.

But it just had to be exactly love. WHY, IKUHARA, WHY?

Maybe I should stop comparing the ending to Utena. Maybe I'll just rewatch Utena just for the ending. I think I'll rewatch both of them.
SalingaDec 23, 2011 3:31 PM
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Dec 23, 2011 3:39 PM

Jan 2011
-yoru_piano- said:
Electrifying ending, I wished everyone lived though. I'd rather see Himari stay dead than Shouma and Kanba die. 10/10

Kanba and Shouma didn't die.
[center]
Dec 23, 2011 4:00 PM

Dec 2009
As cheesy as the Penguindrum being love and all that, absolutely brilliany show. A thought provoking fairy tale of wonderous magnitude and simply magnificent.

One of the only shows where I am willing to suspend all my disbelief and believe the seemingly deus ex machina device.

Easily best anime of the year, and arguably best of the new decade.
Dec 23, 2011 5:13 PM

Dec 2009
WOW... I'm speechless
yuno6.jpg
Dec 23, 2011 5:20 PM
Nov 2008
At the end of this I have a few thoughts (yeah, I know, just a few right?).

1. How many sisters has this Momoka had? If Sanetoshi is able to wait for another train, then Momoka is waiting for her metaphorical train as well. Since family has been the main theme of this program, and families are self perpetuating, then it makes me thing that this is a very large cycle. That what we watched was just part of the circle. Or to be more accurate, the breaking of of a twisted cycle. A new cycle just like the one we watched can and will happen again…

2. Santatoshi as animal archetype. Rabbits are amazing little critters. The mothers can, in the event of depredation, absorb their fertilzed embryos back into their bodies. This isn’t something they can do as a choice. If they have no ready food in the environment, the action happens.
Wolves and other predatory animals. If food is scarce, they leave the young behind. Lions eat their own young in hard times, and a male lion will kill a vanquished rivals cubs, which will start his new mate’s (the dead lion in question) heat cycle. When he gave his speech last episode I was going, “Yeah, yeah, pal. Pretty words you got there. You are just a terrorist thug”. Well, he could be an animal. If this were a story of the animal kingdom, they we would have March of the Penguins. But it’s a human story about families. Perhaps he is that reminder of the actions we take which hurt our own children. A ghost that haunts us for the “right” actions we could have taken.
Think about the world population. A thought enters my mind that the deaths of a few children, in a world that is vastly overpopulated is hardly a a big a deal. Right? Then I think, who am I to judge if those children were important or not? Big deal. Yeah, it is, to someone. One day that someone could be me. Which is a huge part of what I saw in this story.
Of course, with these thoughts I’m left with “Take care of all the abandoned kids out there or the ghost of an animal will bomb your trains”. Maybe not?

3. Now I know what those hands are for. Been bugging me since the first appeared

Overall, I think Mawaru Penguindrum is a fantastic, moving, thought-provoking anime and a worthy successor to Revolutionary Girl Utena.
ZarmynDec 23, 2011 9:34 PM
Dec 23, 2011 5:21 PM

Jun 2011

Apples were the clue after all
Dec 23, 2011 5:27 PM
Apr 2011
Although the ending didn't really hit me, this episode was, nonetheless, satisfactory. I think it has to do with cramming everything in 23 minutes? Overall, this entire series was beautifully, metaphorically directed and I give this series a 8/10. ^^
Dec 23, 2011 6:25 PM

Nov 2010
I don't really know what do say besides the fact that this was one of the greatest animes I've ever watched.. it was just so beautiful and it was such a deep and meaningful show. I guess in the end, fate wins.

you can only get these animes once in a long time, that's for sure :0

20/10
Dec 23, 2011 7:10 PM

Nov 2011
That was a show for the ride, and not for the Destination of Fate. The ending should only just not be a troll. Impossible to meet expecations risen that high.

That said, I liked to know what the Penguindrum was, the shoutback to the "apple-talking" kids on epi 1 (that was obvious important even just then xD) and the men sacrificing themselves for the women (THE WAY IT MUST BE xD)

So to me it was the ending it should have. Not the best one. Not the worst one. Just the Mawaru Penguindrum's one. Just like the feeling you got after overthinking why something happened in your life... It just was supposed to be that way and that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just Fate.
Dec 23, 2011 7:39 PM

Jun 2009
Oh wow, they really sacrificed themselves. I never ever really seen that coming.

WHAT A TWEEST!
Dec 23, 2011 7:49 PM

Oct 2010
VioLink said:
-I did not write this-
-somebody on reddit
Quite the feast in reading. Really nailed down one aspect of the show in general. There many of them. This one is the one way staright way logic. The show showing what it was meant to show out.

I guess deducting from this, there is not enough love that is shared. Much of it is impure and corrupted like Shouma's father mentions. However Shouma's father never found the PenguinDrum for if he did perhaps another way would have opened.

Instead he was already cursed out by Sanetoshi to do what he wanted. Sadly Momoka arrived too late for that one. Despite that still think that she is the Goddess in thee end. Her being part of Ringo's family is as easy as having a baby being chosen as a vessel so that the Goddess can materialize into the world.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Dec 23, 2011 7:54 PM

Jan 2011
It was a beautiful ending but so much sadder than I'd feared it would be. I wanted at least one of the brothers to survive.

The reality reset aspect of Penguindrum invites comparisons with Madoka but contrary to some comments, I think there were more differences than similarities. In some ways I think Sho and Kan had it easier.
That being said, both of them willingly sacrificed themselves to save Himari and Ringo and create a better reality.

The scene where Himari finds the note from Sho and Kan, really reminded me of a similar scene with a photograph at the end of Green Green, which also had themes of love, sacrifice, and the negation of memory. It's not at the same level as Madoka or Penguindrum but it still tears at your heart.

Last Christmas I marathoned Clannad/Clannad AS, this year it was Penguindrum, I have to start finding happier holiday traditions...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Dec 23, 2011 8:00 PM
Jul 2011
Things like this anime are why words like "Masterpiece" were conceived.

As a side note: I realized at the end that I would have to do some apple mathematics. Good thing someone put that chart up there...
Dec 23, 2011 9:09 PM

Jul 2009
I'm not quite sure 7/10 i guess,
Dec 23, 2011 10:50 PM

Oct 2010
What a beautiful ending, that was THE definition of bittersweet.
Im so glad i got to experience this wonderful show goodbye takakura family i'll miss you dearly. T__T
Dec 23, 2011 10:56 PM

Oct 2011
kawaii-nekochi said:

I'm looking foward for an OVA but after watching the Final Ep. I'm not sure if they are gonna make one but I hope they will...

I wondered the same thing. I hope for either a monologue from Momoka to explain things or an alternate ending.

8163264128 said:
Ok, after rewatching the last 3 episodes a few times I think the anime ends up leaving me with even more mixed feelings. I liked it, but going through those episodes again didn't make me like it more... because I noticed even more flaws.

1. The reveal of the PenguinDrum was pretty halfassed. The apple represented love and kindness, but that makes little sense chronologically: Kanba always had two loving siblings and if it was after they were separated Shouma already had Himari as an adopted sister. Why was Kanba's kindness so relevant? How did Momoka know about it? The fact that Kanba has an apple in his cage but Shouma doesn't have one makes very little "sense", even in-universe.

2. Momoka and Sanetoshi remained glorified plot devices with really inane motivations. How did he gain magical powers? Why was Momoka, a completely normal girl, granted a fate altering spell?

3. If "LET US SHARE THE FRUIT OF FATE" was enough to change fate, what was the point of the diary?

4. Yuri and Tabuki's actions in the first 18 episodes are absurd in retrospective. What were they trying to do, anyway?

5. Masako's manipulation of Kanba's ex-girlfriends was pointless and served no real purpose in the story.

6.What was the source of PingGroup's seemingly limitless resources?

^THIS.

Yeah there were loose ends in my opinion. I also was left wondering about why Mario was left out for the most part. I have other questions too. I want answers, but I'll doubt I'll get them.

Dec 23, 2011 11:39 PM

Nov 2010
It was really good. tho i might have to rewatch it someday because im still confused about a few things.
9/10
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 15, 2011

168 by FarCritical »»
Mar 27, 10:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.