Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2012 11:31 AM

Jan 2012
I'm so gonna give Episode of Bardock a DBZ (Down Below Zero) score. What a disgrace to the first Bardock Special. The whole thing about Bardock turned into Super Saiyan... I don't buy it.
Oct 1, 2012 9:42 PM

Dec 2008
mitch3315 said:
Bardock totally hacked and skipped straight to Super Saiyajin 2.

Blue lightning in his energy = SSJ2.

I agree, Super Saiyan level 2 there!

Love this episode, who knew Bardock was the "Legendary Super Saiyan" Freeza was scared of all along. Nice to see some loose ends tied up, sort of.
Oct 2, 2012 6:25 PM
Jul 2012
mitch3315 said:

No way he's a Super Saiyan 2.

Look at his hair...
Jan 31, 2013 12:59 AM
Sep 2011
SirDrRoger said:
All hail the violent savior!!!

NO! None of that. Shame on you.
Apr 9, 2013 5:58 PM

Feb 2010
This earned a 7 from me simply because:
-Art and Sound were frikking amazing.
-Bardock is almost a Vegeta but he actually kicks ass.

But a few things were so nonsense... why did Bardock travel into the past? I'll take it it was that alien he killed who gave him this power but... sending someone back into the past without even being alive is too much even for Dragon Ball standards.

If Frieza became afraid of the Saiyans because his father lost to a Saiyan then... hey... wait... If Bardock had never travelled into the past then Chilled would never have lost and never have warned his family... Frieza would never have betrayed the Saiyans so Bardock would never have had the chance to travel into the past.

Bardock going Super Saiyan 2 was kinda off~.~ I didn't bother much because it could have been the whole "oh wait, how many years without DBZ... let's rock" thing so they exaggerated.

Bardock had trouble defeating Chilled's Ki Blast even though he had turned Super Saiyan 2??? Even if we consider he was a Super Saiyan 1 with an exaggerated transformation, Goku totally overpowered Frieza when he transformed and he was far more hurt than Bardock. Chilled should also be weaker than Frieza while Bardock had the potential to become stronger than King Vegeta making it make even less sense.

sLy777 said:
so it was because of bardock that freiza annihilated the saiyans, irony.

ROFL. I realized that, too.

Ubercook said:
mitch3315 said:

Look at his hair...

That transformation is SSJ 2... I'll take it you haven't watched much DBZ so I won't go into details, check the wikia page, if you still have any question then drop by my profile.
ReinhardVonMuselApr 9, 2013 6:01 PM
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
May 1, 2013 5:15 PM

Jan 2008
This was very much fun for me to watch. I'm glad I was finally able to see it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jun 24, 2013 3:41 PM

Nov 2009
Cool episode, reminded me of why Bardock is one of my favourite DBZ characters, I'm just glad we got more content with him in it.
Oct 5, 2013 2:52 PM

Nov 2012
I wish all super Saiyan transformations were done like this.
Nov 26, 2013 4:08 PM

May 2012
What an amazing episode, never thought they'd make such an awesome side story upon the already sidestory of Goku's father! Really quite amazed me with both quality and story line, makes things quite impressive and a reason why Frieza is so afraid of Super Saiyans!
Jan 12, 2014 8:56 AM

Jun 2009
Jan 31, 2014 7:56 PM

Nov 2012
It's an infinite loop, Bardock gets sent back into the past before he was born, then he will die before being born again, then gets defeated by Frieza, then sent back into the past.

In other words Bardock truly dies in the past from old age I assume. I Also speculate he might have created the Saiyan race while he was in the past by having sex with a human or a species that resembles humans. Because in that past he was most likely the only Saiyan because Chill didn't know what a Saiyan was when Bardock told him plus the planet he was on was his home planet and there were no saiyans there.

So in conclusion Bardock is the Legendary Super Saiyan. Plus he might be the father of the entire Saiyan race as well.But I still can't think up an explanation of how he got sent back into the past in the first place. Maybe Frieza's blast had something to do with it.
AichiroJan 31, 2014 8:01 PM
Jan 31, 2014 10:50 PM

Oct 2013
It was perfect.

Aug 10, 2014 9:17 AM

Oct 2013
I thought it was a pretty badass what if
[/quote]
Oct 7, 2014 1:23 AM

Jan 2014
ReinhardVonMusel said:
This earned a 7 from me simply because:
-Art and Sound were frikking amazing.
-Bardock is almost a Vegeta but he actually kicks ass.

But a few things were so nonsense... why did Bardock travel into the past? I'll take it it was that alien he killed who gave him this power but... sending someone back into the past without even being alive is too much even for Dragon Ball standards.

If Frieza became afraid of the Saiyans because his father lost to a Saiyan then... hey... wait... If Bardock had never travelled into the past then Chilled would never have lost and never have warned his family... Frieza would never have betrayed the Saiyans so Bardock would never have had the chance to travel into the past.

Bardock going Super Saiyan 2 was kinda off~.~ I didn't bother much because it could have been the whole "oh wait, how many years without DBZ... let's rock" thing so they exaggerated.

Bardock had trouble defeating Chilled's Ki Blast even though he had turned Super Saiyan 2??? Even if we consider he was a Super Saiyan 1 with an exaggerated transformation, Goku totally overpowered Frieza when he transformed and he was far more hurt than Bardock. Chilled should also be weaker than Frieza while Bardock had the potential to become stronger than King Vegeta making it make even less sense.

sLy777 said:
so it was because of bardock that freiza annihilated the saiyans, irony.

ROFL. I realized that, too.

Ubercook said:

Look at his hair...

That transformation is SSJ 2... I'll take it you haven't watched much DBZ so I won't go into details, check the wikia page, if you still have any question then drop by my profile.
SSJ2 has more straighter hair, just because it was a energy spark doesn't mean it's SSJ2.
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Saiyan_2
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2015 5:35 PM

Jan 2014
Still the past of Bardock was a mystery for me at least.
Nov 21, 2015 2:39 AM

Aug 2013
It's a bit silly how he traveled back in time. I did enjoy it though.

7/10
Dec 28, 2015 5:18 PM
Dec 2015
Come on people! We are talking about dragon ball z.... This is the coolest thing that could have possibly of happend to it. Bardock is a big,big roll in it! Especially if it has to deal with goku,it's his dad. I can put hundreds of exclamation points, it would never convince you. You have to admit though how cool it was to see Bardock's ruthlessness throw around lord chill like a chew toy. Not only does he put people in a choke hold he has a warriors fighting style. The possibilities that can come of this is not random, it's what was left untold and there are going to be some cool things that happen to this show if they go down this path right.
Feb 27, 2016 8:01 PM

Dec 2014
The Bardock Part was really thrilling for me though. It made more length to the original story
May 12, 2019 1:30 PM

Apr 2019
I really loved this and that it connected with the future, a 10/10 for me :)
Jul 8, 2020 12:59 AM

Feb 2019
As always splendid job by Nozawa
Oct 5, 2020 1:31 PM
May 2019
This was pretty average, really. Other than the animation & soundtrack, it doesn't really stand out that much. On top of that, I wish it would be more than just a 'what if' and actually delve into some more unanswered questions. Though, I find it amusing how the entirety of Frieza's family tree has some name in common that correlates to something cold - says something about their cold-hearted nature.
Sep 13, 2023 2:12 PM

Dec 2009
Notes from 2015:

Oct 11, 2023 9:55 AM

Nov 2012
was this really never dubbed, and there's just that weird barely passable fandub?

I remember watching this subbed and in English way back in the day, if there is no official dub it must've been this same fandub I watched then and just forgot about it.

But yeah the special is already average at best, and the fandub doesn't do it any favours, Chilled is the best thing to come out of it I guess.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

» is this canon?

kingdude267 - May 12, 2013

8 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 9:49 AM

» Dragon Ball Z What’s Still Canon From Bardock: The Father of Goku?

Dragonballtank - Feb 2, 2023

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Feb 25, 2023 1:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.