Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 15, 2009 1:21 PM

Jul 2009
GUNBUSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Nov 4, 2009 8:55 PM

Feb 2009
I'm speechless, SPEECHLESS I SAY!

In the beggining I was a little relutant about the black and white choice... but it proved to be incredible, superb, a work of art. The last scene when Gunbuster busts the fuk out of the a core a friggin busting fuking mecha punch was one of the most epic and better animated scenes I have ever scene in anime. And the ending, while no the best ending ever... it was amazing.

I just can't understand how Gunbuster stood that implosion... I mean it was in the center of the friggin Black Hole...the whole point of it was to swallow everything...
Nov 14, 2009 5:54 PM

Dec 2008
Excellent ending! Happy yet melancholic!

The first couple of episodes were a bit boring, but it was worth it.

I give it a 9/10
Nov 15, 2009 1:26 AM
Oct 2009
Really, this is an amazing and powerful ending. It almost makes me forget how bad the plot and characters were.

Good animation, super interesting concepts and a build up to a great ending. Still, I never completely connected with any of the characters since their actions seemed so contrived. I understand that placing high school girls in such a setting was deliberate, but it just ruined my suspension of disbelief. It just didn't really jive with me.

Regardless, it was a good anime.
Jan 9, 2010 5:55 AM
Feb 27, 2010 4:18 PM

Jun 2009
Nitre said:
Pretty good. I'm a sucker for stuff with relativistic effects in it, so this was a treat.

I laughed at the sheer idiocy of the size of things, though. That black hole bomb would've caused some massive gravity.

In case you forgot, Jung couldn't even go with them because she couldn't handle the pressure. Gunbuster itself barely did.

Unless I'm an idiot of forgetting something, the pressure is (at least, mostly caused) by gravity.
May 20, 2010 10:15 PM

Apr 2008
Not again Gainax. The time concept was the best part, it left me wondering this couple of days.
My WTF? moment was when she ripped her shirt off, that was just random.

7-8/10
Jun 1, 2010 6:32 PM

Oct 2009
Best ending for an anime imo
Jun 10, 2010 6:16 PM
Aug 2007
Amazing. Just amazing.. And the ending.. wow......

The timeline aspect of the story really hit me hard.. The fact that time tears apart the strongest of bonds was masterfully shown here. I cannot imaging how depressing it must feel after seeing your closest friends/family aging so quickly relative to you, and how everything would have changed each time you met them.

I had tears during the scene when Noriko and Kazumi met again and were sitting in their room, talking about Kimiko and realising how she'd never see her again.. even though she was still a teenager, her best friend was already an old woman..

And the fact that they returned 12000(!) Earth years later was just mindblowing.. Everything they knew about their home must have been completely changed by that time.. although the fact that they would literally be considered akin to God would probably tide them over I guess..

I said this in the previous ep topic, but the brutality of space travel reallllly hit hard...

10/10 for me.

One thing I'd like to ask though; How exactly did they escape from the implosion, and why did it take them 12000 Earth years to get back? They travelled to the centre of the galaxy right? So, if they were able to warp out using the remaining reactor,would that make it 6000 each way?
RaiteiJun 10, 2010 6:39 PM
Jun 11, 2010 11:55 AM

Jul 2009
Raitei said:
why did it take them 12000 Earth years to get back? They travelled to the centre of the galaxy right? So, if they were able to warp out using the remaining reactor,would that make it 6000 each way?

2 Main factors

• obvious one is the space travel they do in warp ( time travel to the future is possible when traveling at near light speed ) thats why when ever they warp, time everywhere else ( earth ) time goes alot faster then with the ships in warp ( ex. 10 year gap on there first voyage )

• second factor is that time slows down when your close to a large mass
    ( ex.you have 2 clocks same built set at the same time etc. you take one to space and leave one on earth the clock in space will run faster then the one on earth )

so now we talk about the black hole bomb, a black whole of that size will have a massive amount of mass ( think all the stars and planets etc. it sucks in thats pretty damn big mass compressed into a single point ) the Gunbuster was basically at ground zero where the mass is the heaviest ( 1 second of time they experience was probably years on earth ) this wouldn't matter if they got sucked into the black hole but they managed to escape it

if you factor in both elements BAM! 12,000 year time lag when they warp back to earth.

ok now i can talk about the ep! loved it! the random ecchi at the black hole part was pretty O.O but it worked! when they got back to earth which is pitch black and they thou they out lived humanity then you see "welcome home" that was pretty damn awesome . I'm on to the next season I read on one of the reviews that without this, NGE would never be! so this will always be in my heart

9/10 for me

*edit* thanks >:D and oh i have no idea how they manged to break free! maybe gunbuster was just that GOOD
suprhiroJun 12, 2010 4:36 AM
Jun 11, 2010 1:40 PM
Aug 2007
Badhiro said:
Raitei said:
Amazing. Just amazing.. And the ending.. wow......

The timeline aspect of the story really hit me hard.. The fact that time tears apart the strongest of bonds was masterfully shown here. I cannot imaging how depressing it must feel after seeing your closest friends/family aging so quickly relative to you, and how everything would have changed each time you met them.

I had tears during the scene when Noriko and Kazumi met again and were sitting in their room, talking about Kimiko and realising how she'd never see her again.. even though she was still a teenager, her best friend was already an old woman..

And the fact that they returned 12000(!) Earth years later was just mindblowing.. Everything they knew about their home must have been completely changed by that time.. although the fact that they would literally be considered akin to God would probably tide them over I guess..

I said this in the previous ep topic, but the brutality of space travel reallllly hit hard...

10/10 for me.

One thing I'd like to ask though; How exactly did they escape from the implosion, and why did it take them 12000 Earth years to get back? They travelled to the centre of the galaxy right? So, if they were able to warp out using the remaining reactor,would that make it 6000 each way?

2 Main factors

• obvious one is the space travel they do in warp ( time travel to the future is possible when traveling at near light speed ) thats why when ever they warp, time everywhere else ( earth ) time goes alot faster then with the ships in warp ( ex. 10 year gap on there first voyage )

• second factor is that time slows down when your close to a large mass
    ( ex.you have 2 clocks same built set at the same time etc. you take one to space and leave one on earth the clock in space will run faster then the one on earth )

so now we talk about the black hole bomb, a black whole of that size will have a massive amount of mass ( think all the stars and planets etc. it sucks in thats pretty damn big mass condensed into a single point ) the Gunbuster was basically at ground zero where the mass is the heaviest ( 1 second of time they experience was probably years on earth ) this wouldn't matter if they got sucked into the black hole but they managed to escape it

if you factor in both elements BAM! 12,000 year time lag when they warp back to earth.

ok now i can talk about the ep! loved it! the random ecchi at the black hole part was pretty O.O but it worked! when they got back to earth which is pitch black and they thou they out lived humanity then you see "welcome home" that was pretty damn awesome . I'm on to the next season I read on one of the reviews that without this, NGE would never be! so this will always be in my heart

9/10 for me

o_o Excellent explanation...
Jun 12, 2010 4:28 AM
Jan 2009
how did they manage to escape it?
Jul 5, 2010 5:16 PM

Jan 2010
Oh WOW, 12 000 years later... that was somewhat amazing by itself.

It's not that I am saying human technology can't advance so much as to build something like Gunbuster three, which is true, but isn't it a little too big? Even if we had the technology, where would we get all the material to build it? Even if it was made out of rocks I doubt we have that many rocks on earth, and I am certain it is not made out of granite. XD

DonKangolJones said:
Touching & melancholy. I can understand why this is considered a classic.
Yeah, despite it's many flaws one has to watch it to see how good it is in some aspects.
Jul 6, 2010 3:21 AM

Apr 2009
The ending was too awesome, i really enjoyed this OAV.
Jul 21, 2010 2:48 PM

Dec 2008
Bumped from 8 to 9/10 because of this ending, i had chills throughout the episode. I love Gainax/Anno's unique way of ending animes.
Nov 28, 2010 4:53 AM

Feb 2009
Great episode.I still think this would have worked better as a series.It felt...somewhat rushed.8/10
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Dec 3, 2010 10:12 AM

Jan 2009
10/10 for me and top 5 favorite!

Liked so much gunbuster!
Dec 25, 2010 7:43 PM

Aug 2010
Really amazing ending. I love how they worked in the time lag in this series, most shows wouldn't bother.
Dec 28, 2010 8:53 AM

Sep 2009
This is supposed to be a happy ending? ;____________; I need to go watch something super-happy now to cheer me up.
Jan 2, 2011 6:55 PM

Jun 2009
That was a beautiful ending. ;_;
Jan 12, 2011 3:48 PM

Oct 2008
Such a good OVA I was crying at that welcome back part in the end. Such a touching anime, it's got to be hard knowing everyone you care about will be long dead when you get back. The best part was that at least Noriko and Kazumi were together though.

Loved this.
Jan 14, 2011 2:48 AM

Feb 2010
After reading what everyone else thought I really must have watched a messed version... I just don't get it ???

I felt the show peaked at the end of ep 4 where I was ready to give it a high 8 maybe a 9, and really dropped off for ep 6. WAAAAAAAAAY beyond any hope of possibility, even more than than what my avatar and sig are.

I'm normally not one to troll in any way really, but I still just don't get it ???

And also.... I cannot see any possibility of Gunbuster being even able to reach earth in the shattered condition it was in, let alone in what appears in the span of a few minutes or hours. It was running on half power at best with extreme damage to just about everything.

Unfortunately it is not believable in any sense to me. *shrugs* If you liked it great, but I cannot rate the show higher than a 7. Even considering when it was released, and that is being generous too.

And a little more. Isn't this a prime example of gambling every last thing on a slim possibility that may even cause catastrophic damage to earth too? I mean a black hole that can rip apart the center of the galaxy is going to have effects on earth. They may be fine for now, but it's just circling the drain. *sigh* I just didn't enjoy the show for parts of 5 and most of ep 6.

This was true until I watched Gunbuster 2 / Diebuster

I feel I have a better grasp of why, but a lot of things still don't quite work for me. But I can bump my rating up to an 8.
TasolthJan 15, 2011 2:46 AM
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
Feb 3, 2011 6:45 PM

May 2010
Will someone tell just what the hell is going on?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 4, 2011 3:40 PM

Aug 2010
The ending threw me off a bit. How in the world did they leave that black hole alive? And what happened in the end? It looked like they turned into red orbs or something and went flying towards earth. Explanation?
Mar 1, 2011 7:55 PM
Jan 2010
Akolatronic said:
The ending threw me off a bit. How in the world did they leave that black hole alive? And what happened in the end? It looked like they turned into red orbs or something and went flying towards earth. Explanation?

Being able to escape the formation of a black hole is a matter of outrunning its expanding gravitational pull. As long as you can avoid being pulled past the event horizon, escape from a black hole is theoretically possible. Presumably, they were traveling fast enough that they weren't pulled in past that point.

Them turning into red lights is just artistic license. If you really want to reason it out though, I guess you could say they're reentering the atmosphere. <_<
Mar 9, 2011 2:03 PM

Oct 2009
That was great! Pretty artistic too and lol@ random ecchi ( if she had to do that for Gunbuster to rip its chest-plate off why didn't she need to rip her heart out as well >.>) XPP

But DAYUM FREAKING 12,000 YEARS??? Wow i can't even imagine how the world would ;\

One of the best OVA I've ever watched!
Now for Diebuster!

8/10
Apr 1, 2011 11:59 PM
Mar 2009
Lol...I thought the black-and-white had significance till the supposed "Epic fight for survival." After watching the still image-like animations, I realized it must have been budget problems...Also lol, random shirt ripping ecchi was random.

And another 15 years passed, but Noriko and Jung were already in warp so Kazumi was the one that aged. I'm loving this relativity and its consequences on relationships. Norika is still a teen/early 20's and her best friend is already an old woman. It's really sad.

What really got me this episode though was the black hole implosion and how that completely caused relativity mindfuck ending. Definitely ended on a bittersweet note. They saved mankind, but 12,000 years?!? That's absolutely ridiculous. Mankind as of this post hasn't even been around for that long. I'm surprised they were remembered after all those years. I mean, that's about 120-130 generations that have passed since you left. That's REALLY brutal to imagine and experience. Normal people would go crazy returning to a world like that.

I like the parallel between Noriko and her dad and then Noriko and her best friend's daughter. Both were broken promises but brought different results in the end.

Twas definitely a fitting, but sad ending.
May 22, 2011 5:38 AM

Apr 2009
Wow 12,000 years...I think mankind have already migrated to the stars in this galaxy by that time like in Warhammer 40K and maybe to other neighboring galaxies as well. Anyway I was sad that it took 12 millennia for them to go home but happy as well that although it might not look like the Earth they've left and known, it's still home and one that remembers and are welcoming them back.

What a great series! I can finally see where NGE and TTGL got some of their crazy ideas. XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 25, 2011 7:14 PM

Aug 2009
10/10 Loved it!

I'm really looking forward to seeing Diebuster now...
Aug 7, 2011 1:50 PM

Nov 2009
that was quite good. i hated the direction with deciding on black and white for that last episode.....ending was amazing and very very sad at the same time.

overall 7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2011 12:39 PM

Jan 2008
I watched the movie but the ending is the same so I'll post it here.

They can say whatever the fuck they want but that black and white crap was not for artistic reasons, that was just to reduce costs.

Also the whole usage of time was totally fucked up, especially the end, I mean, wtf 12 000 years? they should be dead, if not for the black hole then definatly because of the time it would have taken them to get back to earth, they said it themselves that they lost everything and I besides, when you take out your core you won't be going fast and definitely not close to the speed of light.

To achieve a higher speed an object needs more energy, and that energy also makes the mass of said object increase.So it becomes more difficult to accelerate to a higher speed with increasing mass.

Only at 90% (!) of the speed of light would the effects be noticeable, but it would be difficult to go even harder.
to put the two speeds into perspective one needs a special formula:
W=(V+U)/(1+VU/C²)

V and U are the two speeds, C is the constant for the speed of light (300.000km/s), and W is the speed relative to each other.
You then need to calculate with the percentages of the speed of light, say 90%:
(0,9+0,9)/(1+0,9*0,9/1²)= 0.9944751381% of the speed of light.
This has also been proven through experiments in the LHC.
No matter how much energy they put in it they always stayed at 99,99999999% and the nines just grew. 100% could never be reached.

The delay of the time, the time dilation, is indicated by the small letter gamma, and can be calculated with the formula:
γ = 1 / √ (1-V ² / C ²)
So the time dilation at 90% the light speed is 1 / √ ( 1 - 0.9 ²/1²) = 2.294157339. The time has slowed by about a factor of 2.3!

At one moment they showed a number at around 98.x but this is impossible, especially for a ship of that size, same with gunbuster.

I get that they wanted it to make it dramatic but shit way to exaggerate. I couldn't enjoy it to the fullest because if this.
TheUniqueReaperAug 17, 2011 1:29 PM
Aug 29, 2011 6:18 PM

Sep 2009
Sorry dude..... But you're a douche....
Sep 1, 2011 12:35 PM
Aug 2011
Just watched this.

The ending was amazing. AMAZING. Second favorite Gainax work after Evangelion.
Sep 18, 2011 11:33 AM

Apr 2011
Really awesome series ^_^ Not sure how I feel about the final episode being in black and white, but it is what it is. Some of the battle scenes could have stood to be in color IMO, but they were already cutting the budget with the still shots and a simple tally of the war dead.

So they crammed Jupiter into a bomb, shrunk it down to 1/30,000 size and turned it into a black hole. SCIENCE! Ah well, it's sci-fi, I'm much more accepting of bad science in this genre. At least they aren't able to go out in space by holding their breath.

Also, there's a black hole already in the center of the galaxy, so creating a new one would only make the one already there bigger (along with destroyingeverything in between the two and releasing tremendous amounts of energy). Of course, when the anime was made we didn't know about the Eater at True Center; in Gunbuster it seems to just be a solid mass of stars. If you wanted to try and make sense of it, maybe they just didn't get past the tightly-packed outer shell of stars to find the black hole already there.

Epic ending, of course. 12,000 years is a long time, but for those of you interested in time dilation and its effect on starship pilots in war, check out 'The Forever War' and its spin-offs. It's a story about a Vietnam-like space war that lasts for millenia, and by the time the soldiers who first joined reach the end of it, humanity back on Earth has evolved into something utterly alien itself.

5/5, 9/10. I actually liked this better than Evangelion, it dragged a lot less (tho it had less deep, heady concepts to bake your noodle with).
Blind_GuardianSep 18, 2011 11:39 AM
Jan 30, 2012 10:52 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, that was an impressive ending. And it was happier than I expected which was nice.
Mar 19, 2012 1:19 PM

Jan 2012
came in expecting tears and was very skeptical...

manly tears were shed during this episode.... that last scene hit me hard for some reason. Mind = blown.

feelsgoodman.jpg (no homo)
Mar 25, 2012 7:00 PM

Apr 2008
Outstanding episode and a really good series. I especially loved how time is so cruel to the characters, one has to essentially sacrifice living his or her life in order to save humanity. The producers did a great job in that aspect. The black-and-white animation emphasized the magnitude and importance of the final epic battle. Highly enjoyable.

Now I aim for Diebuster!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jun 14, 2012 5:21 PM

Jul 2010
naikou said:

12,000 years is a long time. The japanese language probably wouldn't exist in its current form.

The phrase appeared in the last scene is "オカエリナサイ" written in katakana form. But the last word "イ" is mirrored. Is it just a mistake? Or people don't understand current Japanese in 12,000 years later?
Sigh... 12,000 years is too long to imagine the world in the distant future.
Sep 6, 2012 8:30 PM

Feb 2012
And so they went from being just some mecha pilots on a mission, to living legends told for milleniums to come. It has been over ten thousand years, but Jun kept her promise in the end. If that is not epic in a literal sense, then I do not know what is.

All in all, one of the best mecha-anime I'ver ever seen. And even though it is only six episodes, I'm quite satisfied with the storyscope.
mecharobotSep 6, 2012 11:53 PM
Sep 7, 2012 1:51 AM

Sep 2012
mecharobot said:
If that is not epic in a literal sense, then I do not know what is.
All in all, one of the best mecha-anime I'ver ever seen. And even though it is only six episodes, I'm quite satisfied with the storyscope.

Same here.
Oct 20, 2012 9:19 PM

May 2012
Avenir said:
mecharobot said:
If that is not epic in a literal sense, then I do not know what is.

Same here.

Count me in as well. Totally agree, one of the greatest anime ever if you ask me!
Dec 11, 2012 7:00 AM

Nov 2012
that was probably the best final episode of any series i've ever seen tbh
Dec 16, 2012 12:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rewatched this for the umpteenth time.

They really don't make them like this anymore. What a beautiful, awe inspiring ending. Gainax really have created some of the best anime ever.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 12, 2013 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
My fav Mecha anime until now. Amazing characters, animation, and battles. I'm going to see Diebuster as soon as I can...
Feb 13, 2013 4:37 AM
Jan 2013
Great ending. I actually quite enjoyed the sketchy battle scene too - better than a bunch of 80's cheese and yelling out "Buster Beam" like some of the other battles :P. Series overall had nice art with a fun setting and great use of space opera stuff (especially time dilation), but was uneven and cheesy in parts and only average in the character department. 8/10.
Mar 10, 2013 9:01 PM

Nov 2012
This ending was fucking great.
Despite it being short I still enjoyed it.
RX-782Mar 10, 2013 11:19 PM
Jun 2, 2013 3:51 PM

Feb 2011
Ok so does anyone else think that guy talking to Amano about whether or not humankind should lay down and die in the beginning of the episode looks exactly like Jared from Zeta Gundam?
いっぺん死んでみる?
Jul 26, 2013 2:10 AM

Sep 2012
having seen TTGL before this and regarding it as my #1 anime of all time, i now see just how much inspiration TTGL took from gunbuster (amongst quite a fe other classic super robot shows) i always knew it was inspired by older shows, but not to this extent.
this last episode is easily one of the top 3 final episodes ive seen in an anime, the fact that this was literally a quarter of a century old really shows how well its stood the test of time.

a great series through and through, now onto diebuster.
Aug 12, 2013 11:57 PM
Oct 2010
If you are a fan of gainax in general you can see this show influenced TTGL and NGE quite a bit. For instance, when Noriko went into space after Smith's death and started having the flashbacks, same with Amuno when she thought about coach. Not to mention the active timer on the gunbuster the first time it launched. The art in the scene where noriko punches the core to jump start the black hole bomb thing reminded me of a couple scenes from TTLG.

I felt the only mistake they made was with Smith, since he didn't have enough time to develop a much more solid relationship with Noriko, his demise didn't have the impact it should.
Aug 13, 2013 3:09 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
If you are a fan of gainax in general you can see this show influenced TTGL and NGE quite a bit. For instance, when Noriko went into space after Smith's death and started having the flashbacks, same with Amuno when she thought about coach. Not to mention the active timer on the gunbuster the first time it launched. The art in the scene where noriko punches the core to jump start the black hole bomb thing reminded me of a couple scenes from TTLG.

I felt the only mistake they made was with Smith, since he didn't have enough time to develop a much more solid relationship with Noriko, his demise didn't have the impact it should.

it was quite interesting to see just how much gunbuster influenced their later series, after seeing diebuster, its safe to say its pretty much a pilot series for ttgl in so many ways
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

69 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 28, 2008

78 by VioletOlya »»
Mar 3, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 19, 2009

77 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

67 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 8:44 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

60 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 17, 2023 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.