Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 8, 2016 5:23 PM

Jun 2014
I enjoyed this a little more than I thought I would. The first 3 episodes were very weak, but episodes 4-6 made a bit of an improvement, so I'm glad I finished watching it, but this Anime still isn't very good at all. It's very, very overrated.

_-_Sally_-_Jul 8, 2016 11:14 AM

May 4, 2016 2:54 AM

Dec 2014
I didn't like this episode as much and wasn't a big fan of the black and white, though it did make the colored part a lot more impactful. I think episode five would've been a better stopping point, but this wasn't that bad. On to Diebuster now.

7/10
Jun 17, 2016 11:01 PM

Oct 2011
Damn, the ending is just too massive. 12000 years?! wow.. just wow...
Jul 16, 2016 5:45 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty sure black and white was down to budget - see the post-credits of episode 4 where they say they have two episodes left but haven't written them yet (ie were expecting this to go a bit longer but someone pulled the plug)

Still did a great job of it
Jul 22, 2016 1:02 AM

Jun 2007
What a literal garbage. i just can't believe all the hype
..that ridiculous boob at the end LOL
and yet another face slap. what for? but oh so dramatic

_HeroKenzan_ said:
Xynical said:
Anyways, looks like they ran out of budget...

Funny because the Black and White stuff was actually more expensive to do at the time.

lmao @ people buying this bs
But keep telling yourself it was for artistic purposes hahaha

RX-782 said:
johnyjohny said:
Face palm to the likes that where given.
You just have shit taste.

No u.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jul 22, 2016 10:27 AM

Sep 2015
That was a finale, that was exciting, that was emotional, and that completely paid off a dazzling little six episode OVA. A lot is surprising in the finale right off the bat. For starters it's in black and white, which was apparently both a creative decision, and actually made this the most expensive episode to animate. We begin with a much older Amano, on a craggy seaside cliff, visiting Coach's grave. It immediately sets up the tone of the finale. Compared to the bright, optimistic first episode it's a stark contrast. These characters are tired, beaten, significantly older and just trying to finish what they started with this alien war even as their own lives and chances for happiness dry up and die in front of them.

The next big surprise is when Amano bidding goodbye to her even older classmates from the beginning heads back into space to help Noriko and Jung with a last push to destroy the kaijuu. For starters right off the bat we have no idea where the other two are. And apparently since they never stopped fighting in space, while Amano is I'd guess in her thirties or forties Noriko and Jung remain physically at least the same age. Amano's reunion with Noriko was an emotional one, I loved that she brushed aside Noriko's formalities and said to keep calling her onee-sama. That was a nice touch, it shows how these two have progressed since episode three when Amano didn't want to pilot with our heroine anymore.

I often feel like Anno's other big series EVA, deliberately denied fans any kind of cathartic release involving the characters relationships to the bitter end. Part of that I believe is it's attempting to grimly show how Shinji has poisoned these relationships so they die on the vine. But here the whole final fight scene, is essentially a testament to human will and Noriko and Amano's love for one another after years of support and combat. It's a surprisingly heart on sleeve approach for Anno, but you can't help but feel something when Amano decides to go with Noriko on their dangerous last push that will jettison them far into the future. Jung attempting to join them was sweet too, though she's provided little more than conflict and fan service.

I find myself puzzling over the final showdown with the kaijuu. For starters I think some of the sci fi explanation for what Amano and Noriko were trying to do here was lost on me. But it was still a grueling nail biter of a scene. I guess the part I'm most confused by is Noriko pushed to her physical limit, tearing her own top exposing her breasts. Was this one last bit of unabashed hedonism from Gainax? Or God forbid were they trying to say something with it? I'm not sure, but besides being an intense release in a pretty tension fueled scene I can't think of any reason for it.

The final scene of the episode is certainly a powerful one. Noriko and Amano finally return to Earth and over a thousand years have passed. It's a final treatment of one of the biggest themes of the OVA. Using the concept of relativity in space travel, to tell a narrative of people having space adventures and being left behind by the people on Earth. For a moment it seems we've reached a really grim conclusion to this treatise. Amano and Noriko seeing the Earth shrouded in darkness fret that humanity may have been wiped out while they were away. Then the lights come up, we get yet another triumphant if bittersweet ending moment. And if you're like me your head reels as the credits play.

I'm glad I took the time and effort to watch Gunbuster. It's a visually captivating, clever little mech series, that set the template for Gainax one of my favorite studios of all time. My only major complaint is I think they went a little over the top with the fan service. Noriko enters every scene with her breasts bouncing, which was whatever, but I started to have issues with it after the first nude scene. They just felt unnecessary honestly, and considering I liked the plot and characters I quickly found myself waiting impatiently for scenes like that to end. This didn't take away from a genuinely powerful and fiercely original series though I give it a 10/10.
Aug 3, 2016 10:04 PM
Mar 2014
I liked it overall. I liked that they considered relativity and the change in relationship and people due to age (even if they just skimmed it). It was quite a sad but also happy ending. I was surprised that most of the MCs actually survived, albeit in a different time zone. Welcome Back was a sweet message though I wonder who would've remember to light it up and if they knew what to look for (must've been taught in history class since).

Damn, gotta feel a bit bad though. Imagine coming back home and realizing that everyone is gone. I mean, sure most of the MCs didn't have as much waiting for them but still. Wish we got a look at humans and what they are like now. Black hole bomb was something else.

My only major complaint is Smith. I realize they had only 6 episodes but I feel like Noriko falling in love with him (this part was fine) but then agonizing over him when she barely knew him (we only had three scenes of them together, first time meeting him, in the train and then when he asks her to join his team) was a bit out there. Yes, his death was sad and he seemed like a cool guy but there just wasn't enough screen time for Smith or for their relationship to flourish so that we can feel with her.

Also, to reiterate, the ending was sad but also great! Wasn't expecting such a large welcome back for them considering its 12000 years later but it was perfect! Also, Noriko channeling her emotions when they went into the black hole bomb was very emotionally charged and epic!
Aug 22, 2016 11:39 PM
Mar 2016
This OVA. Man... The pacing was so screwy. It felt like what should have been the beginning was completely erased, and the middle was so condensed. Noriko goes from being a klutz to being a key player in the fate of humanity because a guy who is dead set on her being it shows up one day. He is dead set on it... because. He sees her potential despite no prior interaction with her and no positive impressions. She falls in love with a doofus who she doesn't share any real moments of closeness with, and he drives her to do a face turn as a character in the span of like five minutes, of in show time, not real life. Also because. Coach all of a sudden has a terminal illness. So cheap. Characters do dramatic things with no dramatic buildup. The science really was bad. In science fiction, I don't have a problem completely believing in the laws of that universe, even if they lend themselves more to magical realism than science fiction. But I don't know, something was so off about it here. Despite all these problems. I don't regret watching it at all. The shots of machines operating were cool, as always. The enemies were really interesting visually, the little we saw of them. They looked like Cambrian animals. The black and white and general pacing of the last episode were great. After episode 1 wondered how such a groan inducing series was so well regarded. The last couple episodes added so much. The passage of time adds so much. It hit me pretty hard, I wasn't expecting these cutout characters to add so much just by aging while Noriko didn't change. It added a layer of depth to the world. It made everyone's relationships feel more real. The ending was a stroke of genius, I'm sure it was borrowed from some American story but no lesser for it. Despite how deeply flawed it was, I don't regret watching this one bit. The payoff was worth it. I didn't expect to write so much about this, haha. And I don't think I summed up my thoughts as clearly or closely as I could have.
Dec 1, 2016 11:11 AM

Aug 2014
Bittersweat is the perfect word to describe this ending. I mean 12,000 years later? Holy shit...

A fine series. I wasn't that amazed by this but I enjoyed for the most part.
6/10
Jan 28, 2017 5:25 PM

Feb 2012
I cried. What an amazing and emotive end.
One of the best OVAs of the 80s.
Feb 22, 2017 10:41 PM

Feb 2016
The ending is a work of art.

If we go by history, they'll probably get spit on and called a murderer by some of the folks in the airport...

I can see why it's a masterpiece, personally I hated some of the tropes and characters too much to like it as a whole. I cannot for the life of me see the appeal and realism of using overly emotional, poor performing crybaby soldiers to do important jobs as a viewer. Simon and Yoko may have inherited their legacy from gunbusters, but that is not to say they are the inferior versions, quite the opposite really. At least Yoko didn't rip off her shirt at an important epic moment, because WE MUST SATURATE THE VIEWER'S ATTENTION WITH BEWBS !!!
Cloud_IllusionsFeb 22, 2017 10:55 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 22, 2017 11:21 PM

Dec 2015
@Rosny Strange comparison with Yoko:
- she sure didn't need to (I didn't mind it but her breast was all over the show),
- and she probably would have got her clothes strategically ripped off, had she been made for the VHS or cinema market.

About Simon, is it not a problem because he isn't recruited as a soldier? (I have no problem with him or any Amuro-type character but so many people complain about how "whiny" he is, exactly like for Amuro/Noriko/Shinji & Co.)

edit @Rosny : Yes, the coach sees potential in Noriko. What is his motto again? "Hard work and guts". I assumed he saw in her someone he could push through this. (I won't deny that Takaya's father was also beneficial to her.)

March 3rd, 2018:
@Audiomancer No, the black and white was more expensive than a regular coloured video or as much.
Rushing is a weird concept to apply here when the project was made with a limited size in mind and the story isn't coming from a long paper series or initially created for a TV format. You get the infos you need and the OAVs are divided distinctly enough between Noriko's beginning (aka the semi-parodic part) and culminating point.

March 31st, 2018:
ConfusionHaze said:
Yes, the B/W is because of budget. [...] Fucking Anno doesn't give a damn.

No, it wasn't the case here and it was repeated in several articles/interviews. (and we can also wonder how this approach could even spare money)

April 27th, 2018:
@Apollo18 (Reading the beginning, it sounds like quality means the nature of the content (genre, etc) rather than being a way to describe the work.)
I thought this series came off like a bunch of people were given the opportunity to simply produce what they themselves like. I would like to see articles or things where you can read GAINAX was trying to do something peculiar here.
Using "cliche'd' (love this french name turned into a weird english adjective ^^) elements can help to gain time when you tell a story. Here, the beginning is supposed to evoke typical fictions (like the model, Ace wo nerae)

As for big budget comparisons, we could also cite GAINAX own one: Honneamise (the one that got the "most expensive" title right before Akira took it).
As for the idea that anno's name is the thing that elevates it above Cool Cool, I think it's unfair toward the rest of the team: it's first and foremost known as the first big project of GAINAX. And one where they got charadesigns from the popular and famous Mikimoto at that.

I am wondering if by "dated" (getting chils every time I hear or say this word in cultural/art conversations), you are refering to Haruhiko Mikimoto's style (for the chara-designs) or something else.

May 18, 2019
@Optigisa Was every part of it that bad? Or is it because of a particular event or element?
(I thought this episode was keeping the logic of the previous ones, going with even bigger machines, more impressive feats, more "sentiments" and pushing the timespace problem further.)
Rei_IIIMay 18, 2019 2:29 AM
Feb 22, 2017 11:39 PM

Feb 2016
Rei366 said:
@Rosny Strange comparison with Yoko:
- she sure didn't need to (I didn't mind it but her breast was all over the show),
- and she probably would have got her clothes strategically ripped off, had she been made for the VHS or cinema market.

About Simon, is it not a problem because he isn't recruited as a soldier? (I have no problem with him or any Amuro-type character but so many people complain about how "whiny" he is, exactly like for Amuro/Noriko/Shinji & Co.)

Cloud_IllusionsFeb 23, 2017 3:09 AM
Feb 23, 2017 12:31 AM

Nov 2015
Rosny said:
Rei366 said:
@Rosny Strange

I think you are muddling facts and making assumptions
No one was depending on noriko when gunbuster first launched. Everyone was shocked when it activated. There is no specific mention that she is the only one receiving training to pilot it. You can even argue the coach was doing it in secret. Coach does help her a lot, his motivations for doing so are clearly told and he gives her a lot of opportunities but he doesn't make her choices. Its her decisions and motivation through the series that lead her to make the choice to pilot the gunbuster. Her ending up in the gunbuster was not divine plot armor but the culmination of events that were influenced in some way by her fathers death at the start of the series.

fyi just in case - im not starting a vs character argument
Feb 23, 2017 12:50 AM

Feb 2016
perje said:
Rosny said:

I think you are muddling facts and making assumptions
No one was depending on noriko when gunbuster first launched. Everyone was shocked when it activated. There is no specific mention that she is the only one receiving training to pilot it. You can even argue the coach was doing it in secret. Coach does help her a lot, his motivations for doing so are clearly told and he gives her a lot of opportunities but he doesn't make her choices. Its her decisions and motivation through the series that lead her to make the choice to pilot the gunbuster. Her ending up in the gunbuster was not divine plot armor but the culmination of events that were influenced in some way by her fathers death at the start of the series.

fyi just in case - im not starting a vs character argument

The gunbuster was to be used as a the mc pair as the coach said so I see your point.

The true culmination of events began with the coach seeing potential. I personally didn't see it and maintain it seems a whole lot of convenient plot armor.
Mar 5, 2017 7:21 PM

Mar 2012
I think this is definitely a very niche OVA series. a lot like Gundam X in that regard. I tried hard to give it a fair shot but, to me this can't hold a candle stick to many of the other space dramas that came out in the 15 year span between the late 70s, the 80s, and the early 90s. So much else outshines this by a landslide it's just not even funny.

What I liked the most is the conflict of time progression in space and on Earth, I felt like that was probably the only well done part of the show.

Imo the OVA didn't play to it's strengths. For 4 whole episodes, the drama of the relationships between the girls and the coach seem to outshine the real conflict of humanity and the aliens. I didn't feel engaged or engulfed at all by the conflict with the aliens because the conflicts onboard the ship took far more precedent over the conflict with the aliens. I only felt engaged in the latter half of episode five, and the entirety of episode six. It just wasn't necessary at all to keep that conflict going for 4 episodes and really up til coach is finally dead, where the series finally shines in it's final episode, and the coach is no longer present to hold the show back.

There are certainly better ways to have advanced Noriko's character to be able to finally pilot the Gunbuster than half baked, forced love drama...even for an 80s anime, over the Coach, it was fine when it was over who was piloting the Gunbuster, but when it evolved over their own feelings for the coach, it just fell on its ass. This is ultimately what kills most mecha animes even today in a bid to be something other than just "another mecha space drama", and they focus on other dramas over the central conflict too much and then can't tie it in in time before the show ends. Which is what happens here, episode five felt like a series ender because that ended with the coach thing resolved. Then they realized they didn't actually solve the conflict with the aliens, only the coach, and episode six comes in finally taking itself seriously to finish out the central conflict that they demoted in importance.

In closing, I think it's great to look back all these years later and see that Hideaki learned a lot from his mistakes with this, and some he didn't..and turned that insight into NGE, even if i also don't necessarily think that is a classic either, but it is no doubt, far better than this.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Mar 10, 2017 10:22 PM

Jan 2013
great ending, the anime reminded of Ender's game so much.
Apr 22, 2017 11:20 AM
Jan 2015
This was just an okay series. Cheesy and stuff didn't make sense. The actual framework of the story was awesome though. I guess that's why I love Knights of Sidonia (although it's missing something this one has). If you're interested in sci-fi that covers deep time spans go read some Alastair Reynolds books. House of Suns is a good starting point.
Oct 1, 2017 4:46 AM

Nov 2016
I'm so glad that I picked this up, while the first two episodes felt a bit lackluster compared to the rest, it kept getting better from episode three and hell this final was amazing.

It was so melancholic and the black-white style enhanced this aspect for me a lot. Visuals were beautiful from beginning to end, hand drawn animation is just on a different level. Storywise it was good too, character driven dramas are definitely my thing and while not being as psychological as Eva I can definitely see where some parts of it had their origin.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 2, 2017 9:12 PM

Apr 2014
first time ever watching this series and i gotta say if anything this series really shows why i love how anime used to look compared to all the new stuff now days idk its just older series like this just feels like so much more was put into it and just gives this amazing feel to it but i still do love new anime its just older animation is just amazing

anyway about this series as a whole i really did enjoy it though i feel this series could have ended alot sooner even ending at just ep 4 was good enough for me but with the last 2 eps this is where i really feel more eps would have been nice but all in all i did really enjoy this series but ep 1-4 was my fave of the whole series while the last 2 felt really forced imo like i said more eps would have made it better

last thing about gunbuster Jung was best, really liked Noriko while didnt care for Kazumi when she came back in the last ep yeah was hoping she would have just stayed on earth but whats done is done

but enough with this and now on to diebuster lets see how things turns out
DazeFireNov 2, 2017 9:39 PM
"one step at a time"
Nov 4, 2017 3:52 PM

Oct 2015
Fifteen years has passed Kazumi (Mrs Ohta now) is a coach and looks matured but Reiko looks worse. I loved their reunion shows no love lost, but Noriko and Jung looked younger since it has only been 6 space months to them. I must say also I loved their bond, they almost like sisters. I am glad they were okay after they destroyed all those monsters but Damn 12 thousand years later is a long time.

I loved how this episode started out with black and white visuals to show gloom and despair, and showed colour when they were alive to go home to show peace and prosperity. I will give this one 8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 16, 2018 9:32 PM

Sep 2013
One of the all time best endings ever. This anime was so ahead of its time. Many series have copied elements of Gunbuster, but this show, when it came out, was groundbreaking.

10/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 27, 2018 4:59 AM
Dec 2014
Epic, charming and eighties. Too bad anime nowadays is so bland and formulaic.
Mar 2, 2018 5:05 PM

Aug 2016
This anime was flawed because of rushing, yet I found 2 last episodes fun. And while I think it´s kind of absurd people will remember to say "Welcome back" after 12 000 years, I´m just cant deny how pleasant it was. yes, the b/w was definitly Gainax having budget problems, but better having having b/w but with a good end than giving us some wierd random sh*t as an end
MichaelJacksonMar 2, 2018 5:28 PM
:v
Mar 20, 2018 12:28 PM

Jan 2013
Yes, the B/W is because of budget.

An example of the same thing can be found in Evangelion. Fucking Anno doesn't give a damn.
Mar 20, 2018 8:00 PM
Jul 2015
Eva wasn't budget either. There was an episode they had to scrap almost entirely, and that messed up the production. By the time that happened the money had already been invested.

It's almost never a matter of unexpectedly running out of money, most shows of a given type and length have the same budget more or less.
Apr 24, 2018 4:12 PM

Feb 2013
Some people say it was rushed. But honestly, it felt more like it was condensed to the most important parts. I watched one episode per every few days, because I wanted to take my time and enjoy it properly. Now it feels like I have finished 100+ anime.

The only thing that suffered was the Smith character. He should have been introduced an episode sooner to make bigger impact. But other than that, I absolutely loved this.
Apr 26, 2018 11:45 AM

Jun 2016
Venom900 said:
I think this is definitely a very niche OVA series. a lot like Gundam X in that regard. I tried hard to give it a fair shot but, to me this can't hold a candle stick to many of the other space dramas that came out in the 15 year span between the late 70s, the 80s, and the early 90s. So much else outshines this by a landslide it's just not even funny.

Out of curiosity, what space dramas would you highly recommend out of that 15 year span? I'm always on the lookout for good dramas set in space, and haven't really dipped into that era.
Apr 26, 2018 12:26 PM

Jun 2016
Oh, I guess I didn't leave a comment after finishing this series last time. I watched this for the first time a few years ago, some time after finishing NGE and TTGL; and I really liked it. Re-watching it now (preparing for my Diebuster watch) I'm increasing my rating from 8 to 8.5/10.

The seeds of NGE and TTGL are apparent in this, but it certainly has its own identity and is memorable in its own way. I really appreciated it trying to incorporate Relativity - I haven't seen any other anime use time dilation due to the special theory of relativity as a plot device (The last episode uses general relativity, actually - the black hole's gravitational field causes time to dilate, which is what creates the 12,000 year delay even though they warped out). It's present in the small things too, like an enemy approaching at near light speed was coloured blue, and became red when it sped past (doppler shift).

Just Gainax being science nerds, I love it. They threw in some jargon to explain the warping too, in Episode 4, showing how some Tannhauser managed to find some new physics that allowed naked singularities to be formed and used as warps. They call 'em T-Gates. I wonder if Steins;Gate was influenced by this - it also uses the concept of rotating Kerr black holes giving rise to naked singularities.

I've seen some people griping about 'wrong physics' being used in this series. It's a goddamn sci-fi mecha anime. This isn't a physics lecture, so don't expect it to be 100% respectful to modern theories. Of course it's going to take creative licenses. I appreciate the small things it did to establish itself as a hard sci-fi.

Ender's Game came out just three years before this series, and there are some striking similarities there. Another influence might have been 2001: A Space Odyssey (the 'returning' scene). And the space monsters remind me a lot of Reapers from Mass Effect, I wonder if there's a link somewhere!

The art and animation were gorgeous, Anno really showing his talent in his directorial debut. There seems to be confusion about why the last episode was mostly in black and white; it wasn't due to budget (anyone who delves more into how the industry works will know it's rarely, if ever, about the budget - it's a tonne of other factors, mostly related to how the production is handled, the availability of animators, time management, etc.) but an intentional artistic choice. Quoting from an interview:

On the decision to have the final episode of Gunbuster in black-and-white...

ANNO: When you have color, you have an extra dimension of information. Color would have gotten in the way of the sense of scale we wanted to portray with the black hole bomb. Also -- no one had ever done it before.

Source: https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9987/Anno-Round-Table-discussion-Interview/

The fight in the middle (the defending of the Black Hole Bomb during the countdown) was truncated and made into stills, though, I suppose that was an issue of not having time more than anything else.

Some things I didn't like:

* Gratuitous nudity/fanservice. Tropes of the time (that go on till today, DarliFra is airing as I write this) leaked into this show, and I'm sad they did because they added absolutely nothing.

* Character writing: Jung Freud (oh god, what is with that name..) was a serial offender with her apparent bipolar disorder, going from combative to compassionate in the blink of an eye. The romances were not developed properly at all, just shoe-horned in. The only good relationship in this series was between Noriko and Kimiko.

* Justifying the MC: Why was Noriko chosen? Why was she the one with the potential? In retrospect the Coach proved right, but tbh it could have been anyone. Why the admiral's daughter, then? Was it favouritism after all?

* Clunky plot: This was planned as a 4 episode OVA initially, which is why the 5th and 6th episodes seem tacked on, and some things (like the late romance) had to be forced in without proper buildup. All of the the last three could've been conclusions to the series. Of course, 6th was definitely the most powerful one, so all's well that ends well.

Because of these I couldn't give it a perfect score.. but still a great anime, even 30 years after it was made

Now for Diebuster!
ArachnophobicApr 26, 2018 2:28 PM
Apr 26, 2018 8:09 PM

Mar 2012
Arachnophobic said:
Venom900 said:

Out of curiosity, what space dramas would you highly recommend out of that 15 year span? I'm always on the lookout for good dramas set in space, and haven't really dipped into that era.

Space Battleship Yamato is my personal favorite, both the original and the 2012 reboot. Captain Harlock is also a good one. The creator of Harlock, Leiji Matsumoto also worked on Yamato.

Outside those two, you got the Gundam series and Macross. Macross is probably the most relatable one to Gunbuster if memory servers right though mostly because of the love triangle drama.

I've not had time to watch all 110 episodes, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes is generally well regarded as one of the best space dramas in anime.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 26, 2018 10:54 PM

Jun 2016
Venom900 said:
Arachnophobic said:

Space Battleship Yamato is my personal favorite, both the original and the 2012 reboot. Captain Harlock is also a good one. The creator of Harlock, Leiji Matsumoto also worked on Yamato.

Outside those two, you got the Gundam series and Macross. Macross is probably the most relatable one to Gunbuster if memory servers right though mostly because of the love triangle drama.

I've not had time to watch all 110 episodes, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes is generally well regarded as one of the best space dramas in anime.

Thanks! Herlock looks good, although it seems to have spawned a whole lot of sequels and spin-offs I have no idea how to navigate.

LotGH is my personal favourite (that's where my forum avatar is from). The 110 episodes go by in a flash once you get into it.

Slowly making my way through the Gundamverse. Yamato's been on my PTW for a while. Is the original a required watch, or is the reboot good enough to completely supersede it?

Macross I've heard a lot about but I'm hesitant to get into precisely because of the love triangle drama, and the idol music business.
Apr 27, 2018 2:51 PM

Mar 2012
Arachnophobic said:
Venom900 said:

Thanks! Herlock looks good, although it seems to have spawned a whole lot of sequels and spin-offs I have no idea how to navigate.

LotGH is my personal favourite (that's where my forum avatar is from). The 110 episodes go by in a flash once you get into it.

Slowly making my way through the Gundamverse. Yamato's been on my PTW for a while. Is the original a required watch, or is the reboot good enough to completely supersede it?

Macross I've heard a lot about but I'm hesitant to get into precisely because of the love triangle drama, and the idol music business.

Yamato original isn't required, the 2012 is a retelling of the events of the original but it's not exactly a 1:1 retelling. The basic plot is the same but character interactions/designs and other such "minor" stuff equate to a pretty modern experience, but it's still got the same essence as the first. The reason to really to debate whether or not to watch the original or the reboot would be if a) you have an aversion to older animations and b) if you're okay with waiting to watch the entire series. Both versions are excellent imo but each still have their own flaws.

The original is an entire series of shows and movies and it's pretty lengthy...just like the Gundam UC Era series, only this show follows the same main character all the way through which is unlike Gundam. The 2012 reboot also has a sequel retelling of the sequel season to the original show, but it's not currently finished airing. Depending on how faithful that retelling is, you could probably continue on with the series, I cannot answer this though as I have not yet watched it.

May 16, 2018 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
wow that was a epic and touching ending to great classic show! The first 20-minute b&w bugged me and was thinking if i was watching the right version XD and Yeah I think it was meant to be for artistic direction rather than budget.
Speaking of the whole show, I thought it started out bit clinch as typical for classic show especially first three episode then it got unpredibly better with strong character driven (development kinda has the same feels as some sports anime I watched) and better direction. I found some of the mechaniism complex to follow but assuming they are explained on the special episodes. The animation was brilliant for its time and some of tracks were amazing. Overall, it was brilliant well thought-out short show especially for its time.
removed-userMay 16, 2018 8:38 PM
Sep 28, 2018 5:40 PM

Apr 2017
Solid episode, story-wise. It rounded out the series nicely and tied up all the characters well. I was not crazy about the black-and-white and while it may have been done for stylistic reasons, it's hard to interpret it that way when the rest of the series is in full color.
Awoo :3
Nov 14, 2018 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
What a way to end an show. That's was one of the most impactful endings i seen in an anime, amazing.

As for the series as a whole how dont know how to exactly classify it. I can see this was the precursor to series such as EVA and Gurren Lagann wich were heavily impired by it, but at the same time i cant help but to think that the laters did what Gunbuster was trying to do but better. This is not taking away its merits or how great the series was and what was able to achieve in just 6 episodes, however the whole death of a close friend, the main character internal struggle or even the enemies background were done in better ways by those previous mentioned shows.
I wanna love Gunbuster, but the more i look at it the more it makes me appreciate the other shows that came after it instead of the series itself and that makes me frustrated because Gunbuster is an amazing show in of it self. I love how they used quantum physics to explain its plot regarding time and how much that plays a big role in the story, i loved how solid the characters are, i loved the music, i loved how innovative it was for its time. However i think i would had enjoyed a lot more having not watched any of the shows directly inspired by it because i can't help but to draw comparisons with those.
Nov 20, 2018 12:29 AM

Aug 2018
Strong echos of The Forever War by Joe Haldeman in this series. Not a rip off, but very heavily influenced by.

All in all this series was good and better than NGE.
Nov 27, 2018 9:58 AM

Apr 2014
That 'Welcome Back' at the end. Holy shit.

10/10.
Dec 18, 2018 6:29 AM

Mar 2016
I think the first episode served as a good introduction, to both the setting and Noriko. Now, if episodes 2-4 weren't so mishandled, these last two episodes might have had more impact. I think the scale works against it, with all of the combat literally being explosions in the distance. The black and white was trying way too hard. Don't want to call it boring, but I was bored most of the time. The writing in lights at the end was cute, though.
Jan 25, 2019 1:22 PM

Apr 2017
Typical Anno ending. I noticed a lot of similarities with NGE, this series was clearly its archetype. Maybe a little rushed (more episodes would've made justice), but overall I enjoyed it.
Feb 18, 2019 3:06 AM

Jun 2012
Great ending of great series, it was nice that Onee-sama was able to marry Coach and spend some time with him before he passed away, kinda shame we didnt see how Earth looks like in future, but, maybe thats for best? Some things should be left for imagination :)

Overall, i gave this series 8+ out of 10
Mar 27, 2019 1:21 AM
Oct 2018
Yeah, definitely a big shift in quality from eps 1-3 to eps 4-6. I'd give the 1st 3 eps a 5 or 6 out of 10, then the last half of the series a 7 or 8.

I kinda feel like I would have enjoyed this more if I didn't know it was directed by Anno, and didn't see all the hype it gets. I was maybe expecting too much for a low budget directorial debut.

There were definitely chunks where you could see the direction and visuals that would later give Anno his rep (almost all in eps 4 to 6), but my god, the writing and story were terrible! This is another one of those animes where I keep seeing people talking about the "deconstruction of the tropes of the genre"- and for some anime I can acccept that... but not TwN (or if that was Anno's intent, he did a really bad job). TwN just seems like a 1st time director clumsily using a bunch of embarrassingly cliche'd, tick-a-box story points, in order to have a chance to show off some mecha, space battle sakuga, and some anime tiddies. It doesn't come off like he was deliberately using those dopey cliches to make a point- it comes off like he was either too inexperienced, or too lazy to NOT use those cliche story points.

I can't believe one of the reviews for TwN 2, which says TwN is better than NGE. lol, no- In no alternate reaity is that even close to being true.

TwN is interesting as the debut of a guy who'd go on to be super-influential, and it has a fair few visually impressive moments in it's second half. But overall, it's a pretty middling 80's anime, which looks super-dated next to contemporary (or earlier) anime like Akira (from the same year, admittedly with a much bigger budget), Bubblegum Crisis (a year earlier) or Birth (another low-budget ova from 4 years earlier, which looks super-polished next to TwN). If it didn't have Anno's name attached, TwN would be about as well known as something like Cool Cool Bye
Apollo18Mar 27, 2019 1:26 AM
Mar 28, 2019 1:58 AM
Oct 2018
Rei366 said:
I thought this series came off like a bunch of people were given the opportunity to simply produce what they themselves like.

Yeah, that would account for the disjointed feel that myself and others noted- esp between the 1st three eps and the last three.

Rei366 said:

Using "cliche'd' (love this french name turned into a weird english adjective ^^) elements can help to gain time when you tell a story. Here, the beginning is supposed to evoke typical fictions (like the model, Ace wo nerae)

I can understand trying to gain time in a short, 6 ep series, but I also think you need to be able to do that properly. And I don't neccessarily have a problem with using story cliches, if it's done well and fullfils a purpose (eg in satires like Abenobashi. Or FLCL where it's more commentary on those cliches), but it just seemed ham-fisted here, and not like a deliberate choice made for good reason. The complete noob, chosen for a special role by the gritty, hard-ass commander, for no discernable reason, who goes straight from totally inept, to amazing, planet-saving skills, through basically no real work, didn't seem like satire or parody or homage (although admittedly I haven't seen Ace wo Narae), or any kind of commentary- it just seemed like a lazy way to hammer together a story from pre-assembled parts.

Rei366 said:

I am wondering if by "dated" (getting chils every time I hear or say this word in cultural/art conversations), you are refering to Haruhiko Mikimoto's style (for the chara-designs) or something else.

A lot of aspects felt 'dated' (like 5 or 10 years older than it actually is) to me- the character designs, the glaringly dopey portrayal of technology, like mechs doing push-ups, or slumped in pain nursing their wounds post-battle. Or the lack of a unified visual style through the show. Some scenes in later eps looked pretty nice, but they looked like a totally different show to earlier eps, or even to other scenes in the same episode.

If I'd seen this without knowing the release date, I'd have placed it sometime around 1980-84, rather than 88.

Rei366 said:

As for the idea that anno's name is the thing that elevates it above Cool Cool, I think it's unfair toward the rest of the team: it's first and foremost known as the first big project of GAINAX.

Sure- I guess I focussed on Anno's name because that was the main draw for me, but the point still stands with the mystique of GAINAX, too; I feel like TwN is hyped more because of the names it's attached to (and the work that both Anno and GAINAX would do in the future), than because of TwN on it's own merit.

[Not that I hated TwN; I just didn't think it lived up to some of the hype I've seen- like more than one person saying "TwN is far better than NGE". NGE had it's weaknesses, too (and also get's over-hyped alot), but nothing even close to how rough and patchy TwN is.]
Apr 4, 2019 8:01 PM

Jan 2016
Can't believe people are saying the black and white sucks, They costs a lot more to make. Stop talking shit you don't understand.

The Sizzlers are literally almost as strong as Gunbuster, they can't potray how strong it is when the episode before has just ONE Gunbuster wrecking havock.
Apr 15, 2019 10:24 AM

Aug 2018
What a fucking amazing show. First 2 episodes were so boring and bland I thought I would die of boredom, but the third one shocked me, because I felt the exact same anxiety Noriko had when covering Smith. Some characters were obviously bad managed (like Smith, he had only 2 fucking minutes on-screen and I felt Noriko fell to quick for him).

I really love how Anno can direct a show. I am a great Eva fan and loved what he did there, and this felt so familiar in many ways. I get he didn't do all the job, but you can definately see his style. Music was so atmospheric and fit perfect into every scene.

The ending was SO much fun and even if that "Welcome Back" was so absurd, it was touching because I wanted both girls to return to Earth, even if was not anyone to receive them there.

I give this show a 9 / 10 because of the 2 first episodes, but it was nearly perfection.
May 9, 2019 1:08 PM

Sep 2018
I see now what people mean when they complain about gainax worshipers. Dear lord, some of these mindlessly worshipping comments...

I for one thought this final episode felt a bit thrown together at the last second, the story felt too much like a combination of the two episodes before it, but with less depth, and the black and white was distracting and I felt added nothing.

Over all, the anime felt like we were getting glimpses of a larger story, that was a sequel to something else. With episodes that skipped forward large swatches of time and just randomly introduced characters we have never seen before as if we already knew who they were. I didn't enjoy this as much as everyone else seems to have... *shrugs*. It's worth watching, even if just for historical reasons, and was mostly enjoyable, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wasn't already a hardcore anime fan.
KristiwazhereMay 9, 2019 1:18 PM
May 9, 2019 2:00 PM

Sep 2018
forexjammer said:
Can't believe people are saying the black and white sucks, They costs a lot more to make..

Maybe you should "stop saying shit you don't understand", because it really doesn't, all they did was not color in the animation. Also even if it was "more expensive" that doesn't instantly make something better. Also, I didn't see much in the sentiment you are talking about, seems like you got overly upset because one or two people dared to not like this episode.
May 17, 2019 12:39 PM

Jul 2016
This episode was bad, 2/5 did not enjoy that much.
OptigisaMay 18, 2019 6:05 AM
May 17, 2019 12:40 PM

Jul 2016
It does not help their case that they removed the color and decided to be cheap as well.
May 17, 2019 12:41 PM

Jul 2016
So overall, I feel like this Anime deserves a 6/10. It was fine, it had it's shining moments, it had it's boring moments, but overall I felt like it wasn't anything special.
May 18, 2019 6:07 AM

Jul 2016
@Rei366 fine I edited my comment. For me, the way they abandoned the colors and went for black and white bothered me, I know that it was for artistic reasons or Gainax going cheap, but I did not like it. I also think that the OVA should have ended at episode 5, by then it was enjoyable. I gave it a 6/10 overall.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

69 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 28, 2008

78 by VioletOlya »»
Mar 3, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 19, 2009

77 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

67 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 8:44 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

60 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 17, 2023 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.