MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Is Yozora an unlikable character?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai »» Is Yozora an unlikable character?

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
12-22-11, 5:10 PM

She's a shits load better than Ume from Ben-to

12-22-11, 6:28 PM

I like characters that are tough and abrasive like Yozora. But I never felt she was uncaring or heartless deep down. And I definitely don't believe that she dislikes Sena either, just like Kobato and Maria don't truly dislike each other.

Yozora treats all people the same, the difference is only how each person handles it. It's just like how some people are easily offended by sarcasm, some handle it fine without taking offense, and others still can dish it right back. It's just personalities.

Yozora has got a sort of prideful resentment towards being openly nice and friendly. Basically, since she was lonely and without friends, she just convinced herself that she didn't want friends anyway and that she resented all the traits they seemed to have and all the things they seem to do (aka, cognitive dissonance). She makes a point of acting like she believes this too, in order to convince others that she should be envied, not pitied. But she doesn't really feel this way. She's just stubbornly shy about showing weakness or imperfections.

I think some people dislike her because she so stubbornly maintains her act. She never caves in to her emotions, but rather she keeps them bottled up. She acts only as she thinks she should act, not how she feels. So some people see her as a cold-hearted, uncaring, self-serving bitch.

But I don't see it that way. She should be pitied, not disliked. She doesn't dislike the others. She's just putting on the tough girl act so that nobody will even think to give her the pity she deserves.

12-22-11, 6:38 PM

Yozora's very unlikeable because she's simply a manipulative bully with no real redeeming qualities. Of course, there are those who like bullies (or just bully characters), so it's natural she has some fans.

12-22-11, 8:08 PM

If you read the light novels, you'll come to like Yozora more because her character has more depth than Sena. As the story progresses, Yozora will (very) slowly defrost and show her true emotions more often while Sena just becomes more and more of a pervert (even more so than Rika).
A Humble Pawn of the Hakuou Gakuin Seitokaichou, Hinagiku Katsura!

12-22-11, 8:22 PM

legwkio said:
If you read the light novels, you'll come to like Yozora more because her character has more depth than Sena. As the story progresses, Yozora will (very) slowly defrost and show her true emotions more often while Sena just becomes more and more of a pervert (even more so than Rika).

Which I guess is the origin of her infinite amounts of Doujins. It's entertaining actually
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys

12-22-11, 8:35 PM

GodlyKyon said:
RealScreamer said:
GodlyKyon said:
What? some of the things Sena plays is pretty shameful...... in public

Indeed. But most people don't have a problem with it like they do with Yaoi. I think it is shameful, but it doesn't hurt anyone. So people stress over those types of stuff too much.

Leon-Gun said:
Since someone mentioned Kuroneko, it's nice to also point out that behind Ruri's curtain of anti-social behaviour and abusive language she actually cares for her friends and family (and sacrifices a lot to keep her family stable). She's done plenty of favors and helped Kirino when in need even when saying otherwise. I don't think Yozora has ever done anything for anyone and when she has (like the snacks she brings for Maria) they are just bribes or with ulterior motives.

In saying that, that all happened when the show was ending and Kuroneko had some decent air time, right? Boku is more than likely getting a second season, Yozora will more than likely get development. And honestly, Yozora actually cares for the people in her club, the girl can't express her feelings at all. Come on, she takes the time to tease Sena and Maria, every chance she gets? And even plays games with Sena?? Both are lying to themselves and are friends, they both just don't notice yet. Same goes for everyone else's relationship in the club.

If she really did hate everyone. her words would be more serious and not exaggerated bullcrap.

___
I think it would be better if people just say they don't like Yozora because she's an "Unsociable" person. Coming up with development issues in a pretty "bleh" adaption, "jealousy", "mean" and assumptions that are way off are just extremely silly to me. Especially when this is an a exaggerated comedy with 90% of humor that "annoys" people, in a series that's most likely not finished - with everyone in the cast being flawed.

It's apparently okay for Sena and Rika to sexually harass Kobato, huh? No one says a negative word about it, even though Kobato is obviously scared. I really don't get some people..

Anyways, bleh, just "bleh". Topic got old, discussed so many times and so many opinions tossed over without either side getting it.

Alright, I will just say I hate Yozora because she psychologically assaults people like a bitch, while it's not amusing either.

So it's settled, people mainly are entertained by Yozora or not, that is it. Or else they like her because of her looks.

I guess Kobato's reactions are cute? I suppose Sena is more similar to some fans. I like her. I also dislike Yaoi, but Fujoshi can be repelling.

>I guess Kobato's reactions are cute?

Wut.

I would say the face Sena puts on while calling Yozora stupid while running away is cute.

Yet if it's Yozora it's wrong but if it's full on sexual harassment that makes the younger character scared and makes Sena look like a complete paedophile it's okay?

Some flawed logic you have there... I personally see full on paedophilia through sexual harassment a lot harsher than a few insults.

12-22-11, 9:30 PM

Otsdarva said:

Yozora has continually been cruel to a multitude of characters. I'm surprised anyone likes her at all because poor restraint and hypocrisy aren't valued qualities.

Shinji and Shu are stressful because of their archetype and stereotype. Yozora is disliked because her mash-up of archetype and personality. I only felt sympathy towards her once, and that was episode 1.

She legitamizes bullying by doing it to Sena while she explicitly stated she hates it. Let's not forget about Maria on this one either. this kind of social cruelty makes her hard to be likable because what she is doing and what she says she wants are two different things.

She want friends but refuse to be socially acceptable.
She wants the neighbor's club to be active in public places but refuses to be around crowds.
She wants cooperation but outright makes it impossible to get any from her.

You see, these quirks just make her uncomfortable to watch. While some of her moments are actually teasing (the playful variant.) most often she is either giving Sena or Maria a hard time, or is backsiding any efforts for the neighbor's club activities.

I don't like her for the above. People are free to like her. There isn't a problem. I just find her insufferable. Hopefully me going "I'm" and "Yozora" instead of "This" and "That is" helped with subjectivity.

You pretty much say why i almost hate Yozora existence in the series.

RealScreamer said:
GodlyKyon said:

Indeed. But most people don't have a problem with it like they do with Yaoi. I think it is shameful, but it doesn't hurt anyone. So people stress over those types of stuff too much.

Leon-Gun said:
Since someone mentioned Kuroneko, it's nice to also point out that behind Ruri's curtain of anti-social behaviour and abusive language she actually cares for her friends and family (and sacrifices a lot to keep her family stable). She's done plenty of favors and helped Kirino when in need even when saying otherwise. I don't think Yozora has ever done anything for anyone and when she has (like the snacks she brings for Maria) they are just bribes or with ulterior motives.

In saying that, that all happened when the show was ending and Kuroneko had some decent air time, right? Boku is more than likely getting a second season, Yozora will more than likely get development. And honestly, Yozora actually cares for the people in her club, the girl can't express her feelings at all. Come on, she takes the time to tease Sena and Maria, every chance she gets? And even plays games with Sena?? Both are lying to themselves and are friends, they both just don't notice yet. Same goes for everyone else's relationship in the club.

If she really did hate everyone. her words would be more serious and not exaggerated bullcrap.

___
I think it would be better if people just say they don't like Yozora because she's an "Unsociable" person. Coming up with development issues in a pretty "bleh" adaption, "jealousy", "mean" and assumptions that are way off are just extremely silly to me. Especially when this is an a exaggerated comedy with 90% of humor that "annoys" people, in a series that's most likely not finished - with everyone in the cast being flawed.

It's apparently okay for Sena and Rika to sexually harass Kobato, huh? No one says a negative word about it, even though Kobato is obviously scared. I really don't get some people..

Anyways, bleh, just "bleh". Topic got old, discussed so many times and so many opinions tossed over without either side getting it.

I get it, and i know that the character type of Yozora you could like it or not, but i dont really "hate" or "dislike" the character, i think it's ok for the most part except for one tinny reason that really bothers me, she is the "childhood friend"

I know that this show is like 90% comedy and 10% romance, but Yozora fails the 95% of that 10% and thats why i dislike Yozora.

If she wasnt the main heroine i wouldn't care at all, but her character is really underdevelop, apart from creating the club, she does close to nothing as a character in the series just in the final episode they give us a legitimate reason to like her as a heroin wile the whole show is based on Sena and Kodaka getting closer to each other.

But to me she fails as a heroine wile they make me like Sena in spite that i don really like "fan service" characters as main heroines.

And dont bring the LN or manga here, this is for the anime series, if she really get any development on the possible 2 season we'll see that, but, based only in this 13 episodes i dont like her.

Tenchi_Ryu said:
She's a shits load better than Ume from Ben-to

A Brick is a load better than Ume.

12-22-11, 10:37 PM

EvilSniperTom said:
GodlyKyon said:
RealScreamer said:
GodlyKyon said:

Leon-Gun said:

___

Alright, I will just say I hate Yozora because she psychologically assaults people like a bitch, while it's not amusing either.

So it's settled, people mainly are entertained by Yozora or not, that is it. Or else they like her because of her looks.

I guess Kobato's reactions are cute? I suppose Sena is more similar to some fans. I like her. I also dislike Yaoi, but Fujoshi can be repelling.

>I guess Kobato's reactions are cute?

Wut.

I would say the face Sena puts on while calling Yozora stupid while running away is cute.

Yet if it's Yozora it's wrong but if it's full on sexual harassment that makes the younger character scared and makes Sena look like a complete paedophile it's okay?

Some flawed logic you have there... I personally see full on paedophilia through sexual harassment a lot harsher than a few insults.

uh, no. I am just stating the general census. their interaction give the fans a friendly feeling regarding to Sena rather than her trying to harm Kobato, which Yozora does apparently for fun, or so it't the impression it gives.

Kobato's character is really designed to be cute, so everyone likes her. I guess Sena makes the fans feel the same way she does?

Have you seen in animes where the girls grab each others' boob in the lockerroom? I suppose you can say Sena is like that to Kobato......

12-23-11, 1:32 AM

^^^ Still, that's not something to defend. I'm sure if it was reality, most of us would be in jail. What would be our excuse? The girl had a cute reaction? lmao...

Sery said:
If she wasnt the main heroine i wouldn't care at all, but her character is really underdevelop, apart from creating the club, she does close to nothing as a character in the series just in the final episode they give us a legitimate reason to like her as a heroin wile the whole show is based on Sena and Kodaka getting closer to each other.

But to me she fails as a heroine wile they make me like Sena in spite that i don really like "fan service" characters as main heroines.

And dont bring the LN or manga here, this is for the anime series, if she really get any development on the possible 2 season we'll see that, but, based only in this 13 episodes i dont like her.

Which is why I don't know how people can judge so quickly and why I use material other than the anime. These 12 episodes IMO, have been nothing but comedy and fanservice. And no, I don't see Sena's pool episode to be "development". She just starts to like Kodaka, nothing else - her character still is a major Tsundere just like after "Yozora's revealing" - she will still be a complete sadist. In saying that. No one really developed. Rika is still a weird pervert, Maria is still a whiny child, Yukimura is still...doing whatever she's doing, lol..etc. Remember, it's not only Yozora and Sena in the running, the other girls didn't have much time either.

Most importantly, of course they had to give a few episodes to Sena, Yozora already has "the upper-hand" in all of this, so no need to make it completely obvious that she's gonna "win".

Shia-Neko-Chan said:
Yozora's very unlikeable because she's simply a manipulative bully with no real redeeming qualities. Of course, there are those who like bullies (or just bully characters), so it's natural she has some fans.

It's natural that most people can understand characters and not just blindly hate them. People liking "bully characters" is silly.

12-23-11, 2:11 AM

RealScreamer said:
. And no, I don't see Sena's pool episode to be "development". She just starts to like Kodaka, nothing else - her character still is a major Tsundere just like after "Yozora's revealing" - she will still be a complete sadist. In saying that. No one really developed. Rika is still a weird pervert, Maria is still a whiny child, Yukimura is still...doing whatever she's doing, lol..etc. Remember, it's not only Yozora and Sena in the running, the other girls didn't have much time either.

I completely DISAGREE!

Development is the GROWTH of a character!

And we DID see the growth of Sena, she started out as a conceded Oujou-sama that ALWAYS has to have it her way.

The pool episode between Kodaka and Sena is important because not only does Sena begin to like Kodaka but she learns that she can't keep acting so arrogant towards other people. Kodaka tells her that it was HER FAULT those guys picked on her because she wouldn't stop acting so damn smug around them.

BY NO MEANS is Sena a "Major Tsundere", she might hide some of her feelings (like most people do), but she doesn't hate Kodaka, she doesn't hit him for no reason, and for the most part she gets along with him very well.

For example the episode where Kodaka stayed over at Sena's house, she wasn't complaining nor was she acting Tsundere by calling Kodaka a "Baka" or other nonsense.

In fact in that episode we see Sena's development again, she might be rich and somewhat conceded but by inviting Kodaka over and wanting him to stay overnight, she is displaying more and more feelings of affection even if they are indirect.

As for Yozora, we FINALLY see development, but not until the very last episode.

I truly hope we do have a season 2 because I really enjoyed this anime, and I would love to see what happens next. And hopefully Yozora does become a better character.

But as for Season 1, Yozora was NOT a good heroine nor was she very likable, at least not until the very last episode.
Modified by ichigo03, 12-23-11, 2:16 AM

12-23-11, 2:35 AM

ichigo03 said:
The pool episode between Kodaka and Sena is important because not only does Sena begin to like Kodaka but she learns that she can't keep acting so arrogant towards other people. Kodaka tells her that it was HER FAULT those guys picked on her because she wouldn't stop acting so damn smug around them.

BY NO MEANS is Sena a "Major Tsundere", she might hide some of her feelings (like most people do), but she doesn't hate Kodaka, she doesn't hit him for no reason, and for the most part she gets along with him very well.

For example the episode where Kodaka stayed over at Sena's house, she wasn't complaining nor was she acting Tsundere by calling Kodaka a "Baka" or other nonsense.

In fact in that episode we see Sena's development again, she might be rich and somewhat conceded but by inviting Kodaka over and wanting him to stay overnight, she is displaying more and more feelings of affection even if they are indirect.

Tsundere's don't actually hate the guys, they just don't like telling the truth to them most of the time, and become embarrassed, which is Sena. Her obvious background of being rich makes her oblivious to "action" - she only uses her tongue to "hit" where it hurts, to males.

More over, Sena likes Kodaka, so she wants him to stay, it's obvious, so duh - it's also obvious due to Kobato.

I just don't see it as a "huge" development like everyone else does, she still acts like an "ojousama". Also, her deal with guys isn't the issue. It's with women. Which is why the first thing she says in the beginning is she wants friends that are girls. Nothing developed in that area, so I don't see it as such a big deal when her main goal is still the same.

More over, I see a big debate coming with this Sena opinion I have, so I'll leave it off here, as I don't want to dislike Sena over pity debates, like most people do with other characters, due to fanbase.

12-23-11, 2:54 AM

I'm not sure about the LN so bear with me but the the anime didn't really give Yozora a chance to get any proper character development. It tends to put Sena in the "victim" position while Yozora is always the villian.

Like in the episode when they Yozora adds Kodoka as a phone contact. Sena gets really upset tells off Yozora. So Yozora get her back but because Sena is more emotional everyone is on her side. Even though it was her fault in the first place.

I'm not that Yozora is being falsly accused because she really can be a bitch. But Sena can be too. But because Sena gets put in a more sympathetic light and Yozora never really gets put in a position where we can actually understand her as a relatable character.

12-23-11, 3:06 AM

See the last episode,you will see her in a different light.

12-23-11, 3:24 AM

What I don't like about Yozora she doesn't even seem to try to change. She had it hard, okay, she has attachment issues, okay, that sucks. But that doesn't mean she has to stay this way for the rest of her life. She doesn't realize she won't get anywhere with her current behaviour but even thinks her behaviour is good. She is obviously doing something wrong, but naah, changing would mean going of my comfort zone, for example, suffer the crowd of people to the end because everyone is happy, I'll just destroy everyone's mood for my sake, thank you, or another example: being honestly nice. She wants friends. Sena obviously tries to be her friend. She even likes the, rather offensive, nickname 'meat' - and the only thing she gets in return is bullying. That she doesn't know how to treat people? Please. Sena runs out crying, even an idiot would conclude that's not a way to go, yet she does it again. And apparently, she did have a friend (hell, she even has an imaginary friend), why not just go the similar way as she did back then? Seriously, how is one supposed to get closer to her when she is determined to make one hate her?
Also, she is in a Neighbours' Club. NO ONE has any friends there and barely had any before, not only her. No one has any similar behaviour to hers. Observing others a little maybe? But as I said, she's just not willing to do anything.
First thing to do with most of psychological issues (attachment issues) is to admit it. If she wanted to change, she would.

12-23-11, 11:47 AM

Doesn't matter that Yozora doesn't "try" to change, the fact of the matter is that she IS changing regardless. Through this 12 episode span, there has definitely been an improvement in Yozora and Sena's relationship, and it is no where near hostile like it once was.

The ones making arguments for Yozora should be fair and make equal ones for Sena. If Yozora is being stubborn about her petty-ness, Sena is being stubborn about dropping her snobbish attitude and slick tongue. Both of these girls has issues that need to solved, and they are both getting there.

Sena gets a lot of unfair slack when she can be just as bitchy as Yozora. Yes people, making fun of someone's financial status cause you're rich and they're not is BAD.

12-23-11, 12:11 PM

Pew to much text.
Didn't read it all ~ but I like Yozora therefore I'd say she's likeable ;3
I honestly don't get the whole fuss people tend to make over Sena & Kobato. Compared to them Yozora is a lot more original. She might be a bully and all but who isn't?
Sena gets back at her whenever she has the chance to do so. And Kobato & Maria love to bully each other.

I just run over this page and Bitterblue said something about Yozora not trying to change and how that's a bad point and all. . . . I believe all of them don't need to change at all. They only have to realise that, what they are doing is exactly what friends do => that they already are friends. Buuuut well it would be good for Yozora & Rika to become more social.
Beware of my poor English skills.
If you find mistakes be it grammar or anything else please send me a note~
I really need to become better D=

12-23-11, 1:03 PM

RealScreamer said:
^^^ Still, that's not something to defend. I'm sure if it was reality, most of us would be in jail. What would be our excuse? The girl had a cute reaction? lmao...

Which is why I don't know how people can judge so quickly and why I use material other than the anime. These 12 episodes IMO, have been nothing but comedy and fanservice. And no, I don't see Sena's pool episode to be "development". She just starts to like Kodaka, nothing else - her character still is a major Tsundere just like after "Yozora's revealing" - she will still be a complete sadist. In saying that. No one really developed. Rika is still a weird pervert, Maria is still a whiny child, Yukimura is still...doing whatever she's doing, lol..etc. Remember, it's not only Yozora and Sena in the running, the other girls didn't have much time either.

Most importantly, of course they had to give a few episodes to Sena, Yozora already has "the upper-hand" in all of this, so no need to make it completely obvious that she's gonna "win".

That's why i don't like Yozora, one thing is had the upper hand and other is being part of the scenery for the most part of the show and just at the very end almost split on Kodoka's face that she is her childhood friend.

Srsly i would have enjoy Yozora if that would happened earlier in the series to let both of them interact more.

In no way i expect a mayor development in this series, like say Ouran or Stains;Gate, but it's a little bit on all of this after all, that's i like the show in general.

12-23-11, 2:15 PM

RealScreamer said:

Sery said:

Shia-Neko-Chan said:

It's natural that most people can understand characters and not just blindly hate them. People liking "bully characters" is silly.

YOU ARE THINKING IT WRONG!!!!

there is a huge difference between MEN and WOMEN, women can get away with just about anything. And usually it's a "friendly touch", nothing major(see Kodaka's reaction)

12-23-11, 5:17 PM

Sery said:
That's why i don't like Yozora, one thing is had the upper hand and other is being part of the scenery for the most part of the show and just at the very end almost split on Kodoka's face that she is her childhood friend.

Srsly i would have enjoy Yozora if that would happened earlier in the series to let both of them interact more.

In no way i expect a mayor development in this series, like say Ouran or Stains;Gate, but it's a little bit on all of this after all, that's i like the show in general.

I'm confused about the "upperhand" response. One thing you don't like about her is for that reason? You would have liked it better if she had never met Kodaka? Or are you implying that, even though "she has the upper hand", she didn't have much interactions to "win"...?

You know, that childhood friend thing can either go two ways, best friend or girlfriend. And as said before, even though she was his friend, Sena had more interactions with him this season,therefore, making it kinda even. Not to mention, he met her father. I believe next season(if made) will be fair game... So it's not much of a bid deal to dislike a character for. But, to each their own.

GodlyKyon said:
YOU ARE THINKING IT WRONG!!!!

there is a huge difference between MEN and WOMEN, women can get away with just about anything. And usually it's a "friendly touch", nothing major(see Kodaka's reaction)

No need for caps :X

It wasn't implied for men only, it was for both genders, realistically speaking. I know if I was being talked to or touched like Kobato, even though it was a women, I'd have her ass in jail. I don't believe in that whole "women getting away with it more" nowadays thing, especially where I live. But it's all, just comes down to "comfort zone" and if other girls are fine with being sexually harassed by another woman, oh well.

But I still say, despite me not taking the show seriously, and taking all the jokes in as humor only and nothing offensive, doesn't bother me and I laugh at it. But just to clarify that no one is innocent in this, had to be said. And with that, I hope we can drop this for now and more than likely talk about it again, if season 2 happens lol.

12-23-11, 5:35 PM

I wouldn't call it unlikable, but I just don't sympathize with her.
She's always bullying Sena, at first I didn't really mind but then it got me really pissed. And she was the only one always saying: "Have any of you here made any friends?" And never stopped to think that they were already friends. Somehow saying those stuff she was making people incapable of even thinking about it.
Last episode:

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices