Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 10, 2011 9:29 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, well, they still did the heart scene but, eh...

Well, whatever I suppose.
Dec 10, 2011 9:33 PM

Aug 2008
I didn't think they won't show the heart...but I guess we saw it coming. Shadow decapitation, heart in bag...what's next? But loved the episode anyway :)
Dec 10, 2011 9:35 PM
Oct 2011
Yeah. I don't so much mind that he didn't crush it but why did it look like a soggy brown sack instead of any thing resembling a heart? I know a real heart has a lot of brown parts but still it just looked weird and out of place.

Edit: I wonder how they'll get around the head biting/chunk of skull spitting through some one's head thing.
Dec 10, 2011 9:39 PM
Oct 2011
Lechteron said:
Yeah. I don't so much mind that he didn't crush it but why did it look like a soggy brown sack instead of any thing resembling a heart? I know a real heart has a lot of brown parts but still it just looked weird and out of place.

Edit: I wonder how they'll get around the head biting/chunk of skull spitting through some one's head thing.

Killua kept a paper bag in his pocket just in case he would have to do something gross in front of a camera. He took it out of his pocket and slipped the heart inside so fast that we couldn't notice it.
Dec 10, 2011 9:47 PM

May 2009
I'm assuming all the above comments are from people who have read the manga and/or have seen the 1st adaptation.

To me, who has done none of the above, it was perfect.

The way Killia killed that guy was so evil/creepy that it made me shiver, especially the heart being in the rag beating. it just added to the coolness!!!

Just bumped this show up to a 10
Dec 10, 2011 9:48 PM

Dec 2007
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Pic in the spoiler shows how it should have been.

Really lame.
Dec 10, 2011 9:53 PM
Nov 2009
come on of course they are cutting back on the gore, just be glad they show blood. its more then fairy tail ever got.
Dec 10, 2011 9:54 PM

Jun 2011
My ovaries will never recover from Killua's badassery.
That smirk of his alone was enough we keep me happy until next week's episode.
Dec 10, 2011 9:59 PM

Oct 2011
Meddigo said:

Your posts reached #666. Therefore, your argument is invalid.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2011 10:29 PM

Oct 2010
Cyanure said:
Lechteron said:

Killua kept a paper bag in his pocket just in case he would have to do something gross in front of a camera. He took it out of his pocket and slipped the heart inside so fast that we couldn't notice it.

The bag is the same color as the murderer's shirt. There is no hole in the back of his shirt, so you can just assume Killua is badass enough to remove your heart, but also green enough to recycle the hole he made in your shirt to make a nice baggie for your heart. And then give it back. Such a lovely gift.
Visit my blog for my anime and video game sheet music! http://robusab.blogspot.com
Dec 10, 2011 11:02 PM

Oct 2011
Great episode!
they are keeping so many stuff from the original anime that weren't even in the manga iirc
like the gittarackur/hanzo scenes :D
2 weeks for Zevil Island!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2011 11:03 PM

May 2010
Can't remember the scenes in the first adaptation but man, it was great.

Killua's more badass than I thought. Also, Leorio made me laughed for a bit there. XD
Dec 10, 2011 11:05 PM

Feb 2011
Wow, Madhouse got me. I was pretty sure this was gonna be the worst episode of the season (and that would mean SOMETHING), but actually I found it to be the best.
The heart-scene was "shounened" pretty smart, imo (which doesn't excuse the shounen-style to begin with, but that's not the issue here). Killua putting it in Jones' hand, instead of crushing it, was funny.
Far from perfect, but pretty good.

Also liked the horrorish music playing, after Killua killed him.

Still hate this adaption though. *cough* (ye, had to write that)

btw, reading the manga back then, I didn't question Killua saying, his not to good at maths. He didn't seem like a character, that was into thinking much.
But later it's clearly shown, that he's very intelligent. So...maths his one special weak point, or what?
KuchenlightDec 10, 2011 11:18 PM
Dec 10, 2011 11:29 PM
Jun 2010
Meddigo said:

Come on, at least he did it and the heart was still beating in his hand(even if it was in a paper bag). It could have been worse and it's already pushing it to have a child of 12 years ripping someone's heart out and squishing it between his hands on a shounen that comes on at 10 am on a sunday. -_- I was happy because they'll at least be some decent violence and it was still cool. I like the evil look Killua has though.

lol @ Leorio and him feeling on that girl. When he was sniffing his hand that was hilarious. Also like the end when Killua and Gon were exploring that room and turning on the tv and reading books. Kind of cute how their friendship is and makes me think of when i was a kid.

Can't wait for the next episode, i think i remember the next exam too.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Dec 11, 2011 12:03 AM

Jan 2009
For everyone wondering why its brownish, its because its in a bag or whatever lame excuse they came up with. And for why it is like this? welcome to the new face of anime where anything from panty shots to a human heart is censored.

Thank you japan <3
Dec 11, 2011 12:22 AM
Oct 2011
stop whining, you petulant child.
Dec 11, 2011 12:40 AM

May 2010
3/5 Good enough. But they could've done a better job when Killua took out that heart. They could've made him crush the heart without damaging the cloth instead of waiting for it to stop beating. :| I still don't like that they're censoring the gore when it isn't even half as gruesome as whatever is coming in the next arcs. They really should move this on a better timeslot and stop making this child-friendly.

And lol that music before Killua's fight, I thought it sounded like the underground BGM in Super Mario.
Dec 11, 2011 1:26 AM
Oct 2009
dat satoko laugh
Dec 11, 2011 2:08 AM

Feb 2008
You all must stop whining so incessantly about the lack of gore in this adaptation. It's far too reminiscent of immature people who say things along the lines of "it's not mature if people don't die," and far worse than that, it shows a willing ignorance of how different things between the late 90s and now, are. Lastly, it's not a valid criticism. While I don't believe that blood should be censored because it can and has been used as an effective dramatic cue, gore doesn't really add much. I will admit that a particular scene from the climax of Greed island won't have as much as an impact as it did in the manga, if they censor it (as signs show they will), as long as it doesn't ruin the story or characters, it's fine.

That said, another quality episode. I just watched 9 - 11 in one sitting so forgive me if it wasn't in this episode, but watching Hisoka fight that guy and seeing how fluid the animation was really made me happy that madhouse is animating this series.
Dec 11, 2011 2:28 AM

Aug 2011
Killua leaving the heart in that guy's shirt cloth was good. I Liked it.

I was hoping Leorio would make that joke about Kurapika's gender but they replaced it with a joke about Leorio's age XD which still made me laugh.
She would have lost that round if she had to guess!
They cheated. Fair and Square.
Dec 11, 2011 2:33 AM

Feb 2008
Good episode, shitty censorship. But I guess that's expected when you animate a series that's aimed at older audiences (even though HxH is shounen), and aim it at younger viewers.
Dec 11, 2011 2:44 AM

Dec 2010
Having watched the original, I thought this was a pretty good method to do the heart-ripping scene. I didn't mind not seeing the heart or any gore, because the message of Killua being an assissin got across pretty good even without it.

That said, I really don't dig any of these new colorings. I mean Menchi looked a lot better with pink hair, mind-fuck girl looked way hotter in the original and don't get me started on Pokkle..
Dec 11, 2011 2:53 AM
Feb 2008
Didn't know that Junken is this complicated O.o
Dec 11, 2011 3:08 AM

Jan 2009
that is the most creative but still creepy gore scene right there with Killua the assassin!!! lol
Dec 11, 2011 3:35 AM

Nov 2006
i don't care that it was in a bag, but i'm sad it wasn't crushed. both johness and gon's reactions to it being crushed were what made it so good. ;_;

suterujesu said:
dat satoko laugh
this was great, though.
Dec 11, 2011 4:59 AM

Sep 2008
dropping the score somewhat, very poor episode
Dec 11, 2011 5:09 AM
Sep 2010
i hope they try to NOT censor everything that much...

but all in all, it was still good... =)
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/jcyui&sclick=1">

~Yui~

black_faerie

Dec 11, 2011 5:15 AM

Jun 2011
killua was so fuckin gbadass
Dec 11, 2011 5:20 AM
Feb 2009
I agree that people need to stop complaining about the censorship, i for one thought it was creepier that he gave the heart back instead of crushing it. People also need to use their heads and notice that the guys shirt was what was covering the heart, which i think made it more realistic.
Dec 11, 2011 5:29 AM
Dec 2010
Fugles said:
I agree that people need to stop complaining about the censorship, i for one thought it was creepier that he gave the heart back instead of crushing it. People also need to use their heads and notice that the guys shirt was what was covering the heart, which i think made it more realistic.

This. I do understand the people who want a bit more gore, but I think the message still got across pretty well. For the complainers to get the amount of gore they want the show would have to have a late nite timeslot these days, and by extension a shorter episode count.

Personally I;d rather have a slightly censored version that runs as long as possible than a really short version that's gory. I;m just glad their at least trying to keep it relatively violent for the older fans considering they could just censor it to death.

Plus who knows? If the show keeps getting ratings and gets more popular they may be start getting away with more violence, That;s what happened with the first anime I believe.
Dec 11, 2011 6:10 AM
Jun 2008
He return the hearth back to its owner lol\
censorship and gore should be keep to the minimum if the studio wanna keep this series produce more than 100++ episode ^.^
MorningGloryDec 11, 2011 6:15 AM
Dec 11, 2011 6:35 AM

Apr 2007
so gon and killua were watching how leorio was fingering that girl? the fak?
Dec 11, 2011 7:13 AM
Nov 2010
I'm sure the blu-ray release will be uncensored. (hopefully)
Dec 11, 2011 9:12 AM

May 2009
I could deal with shitty censorship if it didn't totally ruin what the scene was trying to accomplish. And this one failed hard.

What they left out is Gon's reaction to what Killua did. This shonenshit Hunderp version made Gon not give a damn and just say, "Oh hay, he's a suupa assassin doods so of course he can pull off hardcore stuffs like dis hehe."

The original had everyone like WTFS and a close up of Gon where he looked totally freaked out. It was important because I had NO CLUE what Gon was really feeling and thinking. You had to wonder if their friendship would change after that. Because it was one thing for Killua to say all that assassin business, but then to witness it..yeah.

I like to be open to change, but this really let me down. It might just be me, since everyone else seems to only bitch about the gore being toned down. Which does suck too.
Dec 11, 2011 9:28 AM

Jul 2011
I would prefer if it there was more blood... or atleast blood dripping instead of a bag...

But I won't whine too much about it. I'll just watch the original again. :)
Dec 11, 2011 9:38 AM

Jul 2009
The heart scene was good - a lot more sinister then in the original or the manga.
It shows that a scene with good pacing can be fairly grizzly with little violence.

Leorio getting to examine the girl (her name left my head) - though it made him happy, she's still capiable of deception;

Looking forward to next week.

Dec 11, 2011 12:03 PM

Apr 2007
lol no wonder I didn't remember Killua's fight, it wasn't even a fight.

After reading some posts I can vaguely remember the heart crushing. Even with that part cut it just didn't feel right without some kind of reaction from Gon besides "oh yeah Killua's an assassin".
Dec 11, 2011 12:12 PM

Apr 2008
It may just be because I was never too into the series (stop watching in the 30s and never really got around to continuing), but this didn't bother me at all. Gore very rarely has that much significance, and I thought the little shirt bag was quite sufficiently creepy and evident of Killua's upbringing.

Glitterati said:
I could deal with shitty censorship if it didn't totally ruin what the scene was trying to accomplish. And this one failed hard.

What they left out is Gon's reaction to what Killua did. This shonenshit Hunderp version made Gon not give a damn and just say, "Oh hay, he's a suupa assassin doods so of course he can pull off hardcore stuffs like dis hehe."

The original had everyone like WTFS and a close up of Gon where he looked totally freaked out. It was important because I had NO CLUE what Gon was really feeling and thinking. You had to wonder if their friendship would change after that. Because it was one thing for Killua to say all that assassin business, but then to witness it..yeah.

I like to be open to change, but this really let me down. It might just be me, since everyone else seems to only bitch about the gore being toned down. Which does suck too.

Now, see, this is the one valid complaint about it, but it hardly seems related to any shounenizing or censorship. What Killua did is still messed up. If they wanted Gon to freak out he definitely could have. I can't really say why they're having Gon seem unbothered. Maybe they wanted more justification of his loyalty to Killua. Point is, it seems like very much an independent decision, not motivated by any intended audience.
Dec 11, 2011 12:36 PM

Oct 2011
Bio said:
Now, see, this is the one valid complaint about it, but it hardly seems related to any shounenizing or censorship. What Killua did is still messed up. If they wanted Gon to freak out he definitely could have. I can't really say why they're having Gon seem unbothered. Maybe they wanted more justification of his loyalty to Killua. Point is, it seems like very much an independent decision, not motivated by any intended audience.

Actually, this is important to understanding Gon's character. You're supposed to be bothered about this aspect of his personality, because it definitely comes into play later. Gon isn't as simple a protagonist as he seems.
Dec 11, 2011 12:44 PM
Dec 2007
I prefered the manga treatment of the battle but well, seeing Kirua giving the heart back to the dead guy was kinda funny too. Great episode for one of the very highlights of the original manga imo.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 11, 2011 12:46 PM
Aug 2011
Glitterati said:

Gon looked freaked out? He was smiling so to me it was more like he was shocked but at the same time glad that Johness was in fact small fry compared to Killua

Also this scene not only established the fact that Killua is a cold blooded assassin, but also that Gon himself is pretty unsettling. It's been subtle but even before this scene Gon's had a pretty nonchalant attitude toward a lot of things that most shounen protagonists would be disgusted by or would feel some heroic indignation. And that to me makes him a much more interesting character.
TheHoursDec 11, 2011 8:16 PM
Dec 11, 2011 12:53 PM

Nov 2011
A heart doesn't beat when it is separated from the body. Because, if I'm remembering correctly, it get the beating signals from the spine or from the brain. So, that "guy's heart beating in Killua's hand" scene didn't make any sense.

The censorship was very very disappointing. What target audience are they aiming for? Small children? They are ruining the entire show, if it goes as is, there won't be any decent scenes to make good memories out of this remake series.

The story is flowing too fast. It is about more than double speed. I hope they wouldn't cut the story in half, as it was done in Dragon Ball Kai.
Dec 11, 2011 1:10 PM

Oct 2011
hkBattousai2 said:
A heart doesn't beat when it is separated from the body. Because, if I'm remembering correctly, it get the beating signals from the spine or from the brain. So, that "guy's heart beating in Killua's hand" scene didn't make any sense.

The censorship was very very disappointing. What target audience are they aiming for? Small children? They are ruining the entire show, if it goes as is, there won't be any decent scenes to make good memories out of this remake series.

The story is flowing too fast. It is about more than double speed. I hope they wouldn't cut the story in half, as it was done in Dragon Ball Kai.

story is exactly the same speed of the manga, AND RIGHT NOW SAME SPEED OF THE F***ing original anime....start with leorio, end with killua.

the heart beating was the same in the 99 version..
there is more blood than the 99 version ever had
at least people die in this version (or we know that they die)
Dec 11, 2011 1:12 PM

Oct 2011
Gon's reaction? he was smiling with a wtf face but didn't freak out

he knew killua was a killer that's not what he was giving the face for
it was for the heart being crushed, he was like...."heeeh, lolwtf disgusting, oh yea he's an assassin but damn"

but it really wasn't that important and the heart wasn't even crushed
and he gave a similar look to kurapika 2 eps ago so it would've felt repetitive!
Dec 11, 2011 1:20 PM
Oct 2008
Ah Leroute's voice I knew I recognized but I couldn't quite place it... that laugh though gave it away ah Satoko how long has it been since I finished it.
Dec 11, 2011 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
When Leroute showed her face that sound effect from Fairy Tail had me rofling
Dec 11, 2011 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
You people are starting to act like Elfen Lied fanboys "omg it has alot of gore so it is mature foh reelz"
The original was more shocking but in this one you could feel more his suffering, either way HxH is not a gore fest anime and that's not why me or any of us watch it
Dec 11, 2011 2:48 PM
Nov 2010
Well, that was good, I've enjoyed the episode...
Dec 11, 2011 2:53 PM

Nov 2011
Good episode. At first I was disappointed that Killua didn't crush the dudes heart in his hands like in the manga, but after re watching it a couple times I actually really like how the scene was handled. Also LOL at Leorio.
4/5
NJZanDatsuDec 12, 2011 8:10 PM
Dec 11, 2011 3:57 PM

Feb 2008
oh come on guys, the brutality of that scene does need to be gory.

in any case, no matter how soon you finish the race, you still have to wait till the time runs out. so even those who finished first gotta wait and deal with each other while everyone else finish.

so having to wait for hours is a another test of its own.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

61 by BlazeoJoe »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.