Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2008 3:55 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Different to what I was expecting. Probably toned it down for TV, but still good.
Sep 15, 2008 9:25 AM

May 2007
Seems like an interesting anime. Hopefully it will have a good ending. Need more blood, though.
Sep 25, 2008 7:36 PM

May 2008
Loved the first episode. I love the Major's line at the bomber she apprehended. The raid at the high end restaurants with the berserk geiha-bots was cool too!

The music (Run Rabbit Junk) was equally cool when they entered the restaurant and for the other scenes. It really conveys the mood of the story.

My gripe only is the Major's hooker outfit! why cant she just wear normal clothes for a change? Love her in the tan military uniform and her grey BDU. Is it a homage to Shirow's manga Motoko or simply fan service?
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Oct 22, 2008 1:51 PM

Aug 2008
I watch the film there are a time ago, I liked much!
But the serie is VERY GOOD! I Loved!
May 29, 2009 3:58 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm, mixed feelings about this episode, has an initial good impression lets hope it stays that way, seems their is a lot of depth to the characters that I can be expecting.
Jul 19, 2009 12:26 PM

Dec 2008
liked the humor implemented here, different from the movie but still likable.
gah i still can't get used to them using telepathy.

and wth was up with that cartoon at the end? seemed out of place.
Aug 3, 2009 3:34 PM

Mar 2009
I knew I was going to love this series from the first episode.

enkil said:

It's actually not telepathy. They have implants that let them communicate over wireless networks. Basically cellphones built into their bodies.

The cartoon at the end is based on some (equally random) chapters in the manga. It's one of those love it or hate it things. I fall into the "hate it" group myself.
Aug 3, 2009 9:57 PM

Dec 2008
TVV said:
I knew I was going to love this series from the first episode.

enkil said:

It's actually not telepathy. They have implants that let them communicate over wireless networks. Basically cellphones built into their bodies.

The cartoon at the end is based on some (equally random) chapters in the manga. It's one of those love it or hate it things. I fall into the "hate it" group myself.

define telepathy: (Greek τηλε, tele meaning "distant" and πάθεια, patheia meaning "to be affected by",[2]) refers to the transfer of information on thoughts or feelings between individuals by means other than the five classical senses (source: wikipedia)

you're right they're implants that allow them to communicate through wireless media.
but they're still not communicating through their five classical senses.

one would think that they are using the sense of hearing.
but the information is sent directly to their brains.

so yes its telepathy, its very nice of you to clear things up as to their methods for doing this.
-----
the animation at the end...
well, can't complain, they're not entirely useless. it kind of allows people to relax after the seriousness of the show.
Aug 20, 2009 5:03 AM

Mar 2008
anyone knows where i can watch this series jap dub eng sub?
i did only find it dubbed, but the voices are way too annoying...

need jap dub eng sub - no download
please ! xP
Sep 13, 2009 2:00 AM

Aug 2008
Okay.... what a weird way to start a TV anime after such deep pair of Movies (GitS and Innocence...) I personally didn't liked how the episode began, but toward the end it turned out better.. Still the episode left me wishing for more stuff of kind we watched on the movies... Motoko on that outfit reminded me of the first scene of the first movie... Yet she dun looks like the movie Motoko... this outfit really dun fit her XD... The action scenes were nice... Especially the fight scene with the Geishas... So... Samurai-like XD.... So Quentin Tarantino (dunno why actually...)... Oh and the way Section 9 tricked the politician was awesome!!! I loved the Section Captain efficiency!!! XD

Oh and the telephaty/Internal communication is awesome!!! It's more like internal intercommunication than telephaty... I love it! SO useful!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2009 8:40 AM

Jan 2008
Telepathy has the connotation of the supernatural which is why the term is out of place in a sci-fi story. The fact that most of the characters in this anime dont even have 'normal' brains (i.e - they're incased by titanium shells and crammed with tech) completely redefines what it means to have 'five' senses in the first place.

But hey, this is why the GitS franchise is so awesome, it makes you ask questions.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 25, 2009 7:09 AM

Nov 2008
Motoko Said the Reason for why i am locking myself up becoming a hikikomori :D
Nov 11, 2009 9:37 PM

Apr 2009
Looks like it'll be alright. I hope the whole thing isn't going to be episodic. I chose this series because I wanted some depth.
Dec 8, 2009 1:04 AM

Apr 2009
what? I get bored,,heheh,,hoping the next episode will not disappoint me....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2009 4:28 PM

May 2009
Not that impressed with the first episode, but it was okay. I hope there's a good, interesting plot and not just episodic stuff.
The OP song is nice, but I'm not a fan of the CG visuals.
Jan 30, 2010 11:32 AM

Sep 2009
Love the opening and ending!
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Sep 13, 2010 7:58 PM

May 2010
I can't stop staring at Motoko's outfit...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 21, 2011 9:42 AM

Nov 2009
This show is different than I thought it would be. So far it seems very interesting, I'll be sure to watch the movies / sequels and such.

Yonatay said:
Love the opening and ending!

Agreed. The Opening song is different, but I really enjoy it.
Apr 18, 2011 4:01 PM

Dec 2009
GITS starts here for me. Looks okay for a first episode & enjoyed the music. The intro animation seems video game-ish but no biggy. I too am hoping for more depth & background story.
Such junk...
May 3, 2011 6:10 AM

Dec 2010
Good start. The girl's outfit is out of place but fanservice is always good.
Jun 20, 2011 10:57 PM

Jan 2011
I'd have to say the characters are more human than the ones in the original film
they looked kinda emotionless, plus motoko and batou were kickass
I wanna see what the other section 9 guys are like
and also YOKO KANNO <3

Confucius said:
I can't stop staring at Motoko's outfit...

neither can I who wears stuff like that?

Rebas said:
Good start. The girl's outfit is out of place but fanservice is always good.

really?
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Nov 14, 2011 9:36 PM

Feb 2009
Looking good so far. Thought what's with that outfit??
Mar 2, 2012 12:21 PM

Aug 2010
Not as good a first episode as I was expecting.
May 3, 2012 2:39 PM

Jan 2012
I liked it! Good story and police job. 5/5
Sep 9, 2012 2:18 PM

May 2012
So far, it is good. Though I was hoping for more action :)
Oct 3, 2012 5:50 PM

Nov 2011
Man, what a scary world this is where you can just trade brains to commit crimes! Nice first episode none the less!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Nov 1, 2012 3:48 PM
Oct 2012
It started really much more different than I expected. Movie and the series's first episode dont match correctly especially setting and the characters. In the movie, main theme had dark sci fictional futurist approach. However this episode was very childish and simple in comparison with the original movie. For instance, Motoko seemed to find her way to become a real human, it was just a normal live character in the episode. I liked her previous version much more. ( but I like her outfit really I made a few stop motions in some scenes :)
Dec 17, 2012 4:04 PM

May 2012
Start was okey, coming from the movies the art style is totally leveled down but still not all to bad, the story was rather weak to start with as many could drop this from this first episode but still rather interesting in general! I just watched the movies and tbh I wasn't all to amazed by the whole thing although I'd like to see what they managed to do in 26 episodes so I'll give it a try and see how it goes!
Dec 21, 2012 3:19 AM

Jan 2012
A rather strong start. Plot looks promising. Not to mention the girls outfit lol.

Dec 31, 2012 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
Pretty good pilot episode so far. The action at that local place involving the robots was quite the watch. Motoko Kusanagi sure is an epic woman to kick things off~
Jan 1, 2013 12:49 PM

Jul 2011
I just rewatched this ep and omg I could just marathon this entire series again so easily. God it sucks that I have so much other things to watch though
May 25, 2013 1:36 PM

Apr 2013
The first episode was ok but not so impressive. But still after watching the movie i realized that it has no proper depth and story. I hope this series can enlighten me.
May 25, 2013 8:48 PM

May 2012
It's alright so far but I'm sure it'll get way better judging by all of the good things I've heard about it. The art style isn't at the same level as the movies but that's to be expected. Togusa was the only one that sort of threw me for a minute by how different he looked. I do like that Motoko has more of a personality although I hope she won't be wearing that stripper outfit on a regular basis lol.
Jun 7, 2013 5:52 PM

Dec 2012
"There is no such thing as justice in this world!" Bro justice is pointing a fucking pistol at your head.

Anyway, why is she fighting in that outfit? Do all future cops dress like that? Is there some sort of logic behind it?

Edit: She wears that shit in front of her bosses. I smell an upcoming promotion...

"Hey, guys? Crazy idea. If they switched bodies, then PERHAPS THEY SWITCHED BODIES"
Ummmm was that supposed to be unexpected? What? Not feeling this episode at all.... I'm putting this show on hold. I have a hard time believing it's a classic with a pilot episode this weak.
PolyphemusJun 18, 2013 5:08 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 16, 2013 11:08 PM
Jul 2013
I barely feel the 20 minutes passing by as I watch this ep... is this a good sign?

I don't have any problem with Kusanagi's cloth. Sure it doesn't look like what an officer should wear but what do I care what deemed appropriate for a high-ranking officer of Section 9. She could be butt naked for all I care. Though it does seem out of her character to dress the way she did in this first ep.

Hoping for a good time watching this series :D
Aug 6, 2013 1:35 PM

Jul 2012
Mixed feelings... I don't really like the episodic pacing but it's an okay start. So 3/5 for the first episode.

DarkShards said:
Man, what a scary world this is where you can just trade brains to commit crimes! Nice first episode none the less!

True!
Aug 11, 2013 11:07 AM

Aug 2013
I liked the CG at the beginning, nice start overall. I see the connections people draw between it and darker than black/psycho pass. Seems like a combination of the two actually.
Aug 11, 2013 1:24 PM

Aug 2013
This is the start of a badass series :D
Dec 21, 2013 10:51 PM

Jun 2013
I freaking LOVE cyberpunk! Let's do this!!!

Awesome OP and it's in Russian which makes me proud of being 1/2 Russian :)
Jun 8, 2014 6:05 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

This will be the second time I watch the series GITS. Compared to the movie to see just a little bit different grafca the drawings, the rest is great!
Plot that starts giving ample space to the armed confrontation on the field, but little information on what is happening and what will be on the high road. Nevertheless, the narrative was not boring, having had many points to think about, thanks to the case not too complicated but not so trivial.
The soundtrack is divine, thanks to Yoko Kanno. Good opening and ending.
Oct 31, 2014 2:45 PM

Jun 2014
Rewatching after serval years.
Damn this episode is great.In 1 episode we learn quite a bit about the world, section 9 and how they operate.
Dec 26, 2014 4:08 AM

Nov 2011
So-so first episode. It was quite different from what I expected, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What a crazy setting.

The art seems similar to Western animation, which I found slightly surprising.
Dec 26, 2014 4:34 AM

Jun 2009
TripleSRank said:
So-so first episode. It was quite different from what I expected, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What a crazy setting.

Not that I don't like these kind of episodes, but the cream of the crop if you will is the "Complex Episodes" which are the main plot of the series. Good stuff.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 27, 2014 6:51 PM

Nov 2011
insan3Inquisitor said:
TripleSRank said:

What a crazy setting.

Not that I don't like these kind of episodes, but the cream of the crop if you will is the "Complex Episodes" which are the main plot of the series. Good stuff.

I was just wondering if all the episodes would be like this in the next discussion topic. Thanks.
Jan 10, 2015 10:18 AM
May 2014
lmao, some say its serious anime, half naked chick detective- enough said, wtf
lacznoscJan 10, 2015 10:24 AM
Jan 17, 2015 3:34 PM

Nov 2013
OP/ED are insanely good. The telepathy communication is really neat, I bet it saves the animators the job of animating their mouths moving too :P

Really solid opener. Get to see how Section 9 get shit done and show off a bit of everyone's personality.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 17, 2015 3:35 PM

Feb 2015
Wow... I liked this episode, I like it A LOT and it's only the first episode lol.

I like the fact that motoko no longer dives in...

and she looks a lot better here.
Apr 14, 2015 3:25 PM
Nov 2014
Epic OP. Decent first episode I'd say, nothing too stand out except Mokoto looks different than the 95' version.
Apr 25, 2015 8:14 PM

Aug 2014
I wish the Major would wear some damn pants.
Jun 7, 2015 11:03 AM

Oct 2014
Homolust said:
Not as good a first episode as I was expecting.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 22 Discussion

aero - Sep 8, 2008

44 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.