Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 18, 2011 5:55 PM
Aug 2009
I just don't like Ume because I don't care for the jokes as they are getting old and I'm only on ep. 4. It seems like in an attempt to keep her character valid they are making her abuse even more extreme and I just don't like to watch shallow 1 note characters do the same gag over and over. Even if she keeps her abusive ways, they either need to develop her character or they could pull a School Days and freaking stab her to death. Either way I'd be happy.
Dec 19, 2011 6:12 AM

May 2009
Pepole like Ume because whenever a girl punches a boy in <insert japanese medium here> years of pavlovian mind conditioning kick in and they feel strongly compelled to laugh at the expense of the injured character, even if the scene is not supposed to be funny or they have seen it a thousand times.

I.e. they're easily amused.
Arashi89Dec 19, 2011 6:16 AM
Dec 19, 2011 12:57 PM

Dec 2007
Her name is bye bye... how do you not like her? Lol
Dec 19, 2011 1:47 PM

Jun 2008
Arashi89 said:
Pepole like Ume because whenever a girl punches a boy in <insert japanese medium here> years of pavlovian mind conditioning kick in and they feel strongly compelled to laugh at the expense of the injured character, even if the scene is not supposed to be funny or they have seen it a thousand times.

I.e. they're easily amused.

And people only dislike her because she's a violent female that isn't trying to get into MC's pants, and since many viewers are self-inserting themselves as Satou this is no good because the idea of a female dominating them isn't right. Men are stronger than women, after all.

So what's next?
Dec 19, 2011 3:06 PM

May 2009
Redfoxoffire said:

And people only dislike her because she's a violent female that isn't trying to get into MC's pants, and since many viewers are self-inserting themselves as Satou this is no good because the idea of a female dominating them isn't right. Men are stronger than women, after all.

So what's next?

What's next? Completely missing the point of my post, the favourite tactic of pepole with no argument, of course.
Dec 19, 2011 3:24 PM

Jun 2008
Arashi89 said:
Redfoxoffire said:

So what's next?

What's next? Completely missing the point of my post, the favourite tactic of pepole with no argument, of course.

Translation: You realized how poor your original argument was so you attacked mine without actually pointing out any flaws in a failed attempt to make me feel inferior and stupid. Good show.
Dec 19, 2011 3:29 PM

May 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
Arashi89 said:
Redfoxoffire said:

So what's next?

Translation: You realized how poor your original argument was so you attacked mine without actually pointing out any flaws in a failed attempt to make me feel inferior and stupid. Good show.

Really? The only one that didn't point out any single flaw in my argument here was only you, and that's why you tried to derail the discussion by playing the "straw feminism" card, because you don't have any good counter point. I'm not falling for that.
Dec 19, 2011 3:37 PM

Jun 2008
Arashi89 said:
Really? The only one that didn't point out any single flaw in my argument here was only you, and that's why you tried to derail the discussion by playing the "straw feminism" card, because you don't have any good counter point. I'm not falling for that.

I pointed out your flaws by recreating your argument from the other side.
-> You gave a generalized and fairly demeaning depiction of why people like Ume.
-> I gave a generalized and (arguably much more) demeaning depiction of why people dislike Ume.

Both were built on sand, both easily collapsible if taken seriously, except mine wasn't meant to be taken seriously while yours was.

Your response: "No u."
Dec 19, 2011 3:50 PM

May 2009
Redfoxoffire said:

-> You gave a generalized and fairly demeaning depiction of why people like Ume.
-> I gave a generalized and (arguably much more) demeaning depiction of why people dislike Ume.

Both were built on sand, both easily collapsible if taken seriously, except mine wasn't meant to be taken seriously while yours was.

Well, I'm not prepared enough to argue with pepole who like to lie through their teeth. If you feel that my argument is faulty, why don't you try to point out its flaws instead?
Dec 19, 2011 4:02 PM

Jun 2008
Arashi89 said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Well, I'm not prepared enough to argue with pepole who like to lie through their teeth. If you feel that my argument is faulty, why don't you try to point out its flaws instead?

I already did. If you feel that my response to your original post is faulty, that alone proves that your original post is just as faulty.
Dec 19, 2011 11:23 PM

May 2009
Redfoxoffire said:

I already did. If you feel that my response to your original post is faulty, that alone proves that your original post is just as faulty.

My post isn't faulty. Pepole are easily manipulable when they watch TV, they just have to stand there and let the brain absorb every information without judgement, thus they get conditioned by the informations.
Dec 20, 2011 7:33 AM

Mar 2008
Arashi89 said:
Redfoxoffire said:

My post isn't faulty. Pepole are easily manipulable when they watch TV, they just have to stand there and let the brain absorb every information without judgement, thus they get conditioned by the informations.

>Your post
>Not faulty

I can't tell if you're retarded or trolling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not retarded, but reply just in case you're actually not trolling.

Your first post is so obviously faulty that one should not need to point out the flaw in your statement. If anything, you could check the first page to see how wrong your statement is.

And if you couldn't tell, Redfoxoffire was parodying your post in an attempt to show you how shitty your statement was, but clearly you failed to understand that.

Arashi89 said:
Redfoxoffire said:

So what's next?

This is actually the funniest post. Why would Redfoxoffire need to argue with you when there's nothing to argue about? Thanks for a good laugh though.
AyaneruIsMyWaifuDec 20, 2011 7:49 AM

Dec 25, 2011 1:14 AM

Nov 2009
Actually, the question is, why are people arguing about PERSONALITY and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT in BEN-TO?

All these fucking characters are shit. I just happen to like Ume because yuri; and the guy earlier who tried to suggest yuri fans are kids... haha you're like 18 bro get out of here.
Dec 25, 2011 6:35 PM

Jan 2008
Try doing what Ume is doing to Satou in real life and see what happens.
Dec 25, 2011 9:52 PM
Jun 2009
iCab said:
He doesn't fight back because she is a girl, and the reason he may fight girls in the bento fights is because they are a set game where everyone is out for the same thing and aware of the consequences.
when you start kicking somebody it's your fault if you haven't thought about the consequences.

of course, there aren't going to be any consequences, because apparently stupor is the best defense when dealing with a bully.

iCab said:
She is just an anime trope. There are tons of "abusive class presidents" and she is there for the soul sake to please people of that fan base. This is anime after all.
oh well, as long as they're doing it to pander to the audience it's fine then, isn't it? i guess usagi drop specials will have some loli action because that's a popular trope too, right?
spiderexpertDec 25, 2011 9:57 PM
Dec 25, 2011 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
How is it not at least perceived as sexist if in the same instance Ume chooses to enact her vengeance on Sato with violence, and yet only grope Shaga. If a male were to beat the living hell out of a woman due to jealousy his character would be instantly loathed, and yet there are people here defending Ume.

It was funny the first few times, but past episode three it lost all humor. In terms of the differences between Yozora and Ume, the largest being Yozora's character mainly uses insults. Words only hurt if you value the opinion of the person insulting you, at least that's how I view it. The only instance of physical abuse from Yozora was her slapping Marie a few times, which pales in comparison to being beat into the ground with the inability to get up. Lastly Yozora's character is at least developed so we can begin to understand and maybe even empathize with her. Ume's character never sees any real development, and still fails to see that her advances on Oshiroi are unwanted.

In no way shape or form am I defending the other posters actions, in fact he has managed to insert his foot in his mouth on multiple occasion, but I also find it perplexing that instead of just insulting his remarks you in turn defend Ume. Again I ask of you, if there were a male character doing the exact same thing would you be so quick to defend?
Dec 26, 2011 6:31 AM

Mar 2008
yvanc said:
Try doing what Ume is doing to Satou in real life and see what happens.

Only if you try attacking a innocent schoolkid for half-priced bentos in a supermarket full of people first. While you're at it, why not try performing other things you see in anime? Like jumping off buildings and mountains.

Razorvash said:
How is it not at least perceived as sexist if in the same instance Ume chooses to enact her vengeance on Sato with violence, and yet only grope Shaga. If a male were to beat the living hell out of a woman due to jealousy his character would be instantly loathed, and yet there are people here defending Ume.

It was funny the first few times, but past episode three it lost all humor. In terms of the differences between Yozora and Ume, the largest being Yozora's character mainly uses insults. Words only hurt if you value the opinion of the person insulting you, at least that's how I view it. The only instance of physical abuse from Yozora was her slapping Marie a few times, which pales in comparison to being beat into the ground with the inability to get up. Lastly Yozora's character is at least developed so we can begin to understand and maybe even empathize with her. Ume's character never sees any real development, and still fails to see that her advances on Oshiroi are unwanted.

In no way shape or form am I defending the other posters actions, in fact he has managed to insert his foot in his mouth on multiple occasion, but I also find it perplexing that instead of just insulting his remarks you in turn defend Ume. Again I ask of you, if there were a male character doing the exact same thing would you be so quick to defend?

Going to paraphrase some anon for this, you can choose not to believe this, but it sounds logical to me: The reason Ume doesn't hit Shaga to "punish" her for getting close to Oshiroi is because that is not the most effective way in doing so. Shaga loves to exert her dominance on others, as shown by her constant teasing and "domination" of Satou. So, what better way to punish Shaga than to use her own method against her? Ume basically completely does a role reversal and Shaga is completely dominated and teased by Ume. I honestly think that was a much more fitting punishment to ensure that Shaga would stay away from Oshiroi.

Also, it's not Ume's fault Satou falls to the ground in one slap. If I recall correctly, Satou is most often hit only once or twice. (I remember only one incident where is was a bit more.) I haven't watched the last few episodes yet, but this should be true for the first 10.
AyaneruIsMyWaifuDec 26, 2011 6:35 AM

Dec 26, 2011 6:37 AM
Apr 2010
SHe's got the biggest yuri fetish.

/thread
Dec 26, 2011 10:06 AM

Jun 2008
Razorvash said:

Let me add that I don't think anyone is defending Ume's actions so much as explaining them. There's a difference.
Jan 5, 2012 7:42 AM

Jul 2009
Seeing as the series in now over, I'd say that this character was wasted.
Ume is a number of popular writing tools/cliche's merged together in order to create a fanservice charcater, yet this character incorporated a merger of elements that, no matter what your view point, did turn this character into something different - a marmite type of character; the tyoe who you have to have some view point on.

Maybe the writer(s) didn't pick up on the reception this character would recieve, or maybe they're satisfied stickining to the 'this is just a daft comedy series' set-up, but to be honest, a lot could be done with Ume; showing that the character has more to offer then the re-petitive, overused cycle 'girl hits guy = funny' and 'lives for her love interest' which is actually quite common.
OVA's or a second season could easily utilise Ume better?
Doubt^ it'll happen, just an idea. ; )

Jan 5, 2012 1:57 PM

Sep 2010
Breaking news, all of the characters in Ben-To were walking, talking cliches, half of which were dedicated to being fanserice. Ume did one or two things for the story as a character who was not a wolf and that was enough for the writers. None of the characters had much to them other than what the 12 episode anime covered, Ume isn't any different from Beauty of the Lake.

Apr 15, 2015 2:30 AM

Apr 2015
I want her to be punched by Satou in the crotch. I'm angry at Satou every time he allows himself to be humiliated by this bitch rapist. I always waited for the moment for Satou to show his balls. But that did not happen which really pissed me off. C'mon, doesn't he have a right to at least defend himself? I understand that fighting for bento and at school is different but Ume needs to be boxed somehow.
#CHEXIT
Jul 27, 2015 6:51 PM
May 2015
Because....why not?
Sep 23, 2015 8:56 AM

Mar 2013
All these mad self-insert people are delicious.
Apr 25, 2016 1:44 PM

Nov 2013
Razorvash said:

This. And just for the record: if a ( straight ) male would do the same things as Ume to a girl or another boy, I would find him as despicable as her.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 27, 2016 1:57 PM

Nov 2013
Yes, I know, I'm bumping an old thread. But the level of stupid/ignorance is indeed high, especially in the posts of Keira and Mephist. So much baseless assumptions. The dislike has imo nothing to do with gender or sexuality, like I said before, a male like her would be just as insufferable. I don't have a problem with strong women, I just dislike abusive women. Is she even a strong woman? Being an abusive lesbian doesn't equal being a strong woman. Beating someone, who doesn't resist, isn't that hard. If she were one, she would sort out her issues, instead of taking her anger out on others every single time. And she doesn't have to fall in love with MC, treating him like a human being would suffice. Between falling in love and constant abuse is much space. Are these two excesses all some people can think about, regarding behaviour of a girl? Who's sexist now? And that her character is written by a male for a male audience, means that a guy can't dislike her character? That's beyond ridiculous.
TheBigGuyAug 20, 2016 3:22 PM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jul 2, 2016 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
Taufiq91 said:
Seriously, Ume is the only character who i will always find weird to have fans.

Seriously, how can a character like that have fans?

If you're like Ume, then you're either:

a)This guy: http://myanimelist.net/character/51233/Hiroaki_Uchimoto
b)a masochist
c)A troll

And the reason why people don't like her is that she contributes nothing to the story. And the fact that Satou turns into a pussy whenever she's there makes me hate the writers. Seriously, they make him out to be a wolf in bento fights. But he's a fucking fag when it comes to some snotty bitch in school. It is not funny. It just pisses me off for not making any fucking sense. Even comedy has to make some sense stick to it's own ground rules.

Alright, think of McNulty from The Wire. Would you make him a tough Irish cop when he walks to the projects, and then turn him into a pussy when he walks out of the projects? Of course not. So yeah it makes no fucking sense.

He would be made out to be the bad guy, she could possibly make up some shit story about him abusing her too, since she is rich and part of the student council the highers-up would be biased towards her. He could end up being transferred, and/or sued for hitting a girl. It's just what happens, there is nothing that can be done until certain people stop being fucking liars.
Aug 26, 2016 6:25 AM

Apr 2009
it's all because of her bangs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2016 2:16 AM

Apr 2013
She's literally just a fetish character, she adds almost nothing to the plot and doesn't have enough screen time to be fully fleshed out as a real character.
Jan 7, 2017 12:33 PM

Mar 2014
Everyones saying they don't like her cos she abuses Satou for no reason (which is annoying yes) but not the fact she's a borderline rapist?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 15, 2011

135 by StarRush »»
Apr 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 10, 2011

112 by StarRush »»
Apr 21, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 22, 2011

126 by Stuntdrath »»
Jan 27, 6:57 PM

» This bitch right here Ume Shiraume

Zerity - Aug 24, 2017

34 by Imperfection98 »»
Jan 5, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Ben-To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Dec 24, 2011

199 by fathandz »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.