Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 11, 2019 12:35 AM

May 2018
Fuck, I'm crying ;-;
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Mar 14, 2019 1:28 PM

Sep 2017
Why doesn't Rakka just kill herself and end this series already. Wait...

Suicide is wrong, kids.
May 17, 2019 9:55 PM
May 2010
Krunchyman said:
Why doesn't Rakka just kill herself and end this series already. Wait...

Suicide is wrong, kids.
Optigisa said:
What is the point? She is uncovering the mystery, but the pacing is atrocious.

lol These insensitive comments. Why don't you shove your negativity up yours and just drop this show if you hate it so much? No one wants to hear you whine about how much you hate a show you still ended up watching.

I love this episode. Related to Rakka so much in terms of her loneliness and sense of worthlessness. Loving the vibe of isolation she feels, feeling lost in this confusing world. Can't wait to see how it ends.
Jun 22, 2019 7:54 AM

Oct 2012
That was sad, Rakka keep torturing herself
In the end the crows are saving her
She feel something about the crows from the very first episode
I guess she's just like them in a way, the crows are her friends

I just remember SE Lain all of the sudden
Guess Rakka and Lain appearance kinda similar
"Signature removed"
Jun 23, 2019 2:31 PM

Mar 2018
Another great episode. I wonder what the Reki and Rakka's black feathers symbolizes. I don't think it's sin but something else.
Nov 23, 2019 11:35 AM

Nov 2017
These were the times back then, OK Computer and all. Spiritual ennui, dissatisfaction. Existentialism, a having grown tired from the end of the truly explosive 20th century, technology coming to dominate our lives and our economy becoming unequal. More crashes, more recessions, less jobs, manufacturing going away, labor forces from India and China competing with the modern west, corporations selling out for the most enslavable worker.

They captured all of that attitude in a single episode. They didn't realize at the time how much worse it would get. It's also sad that philosophical anime, experimental anime with great stories, wouldn't last. Everyone's too depressed in what we call modern life now, so it's all escapism.

Thus was born Isekai after the crash. SAO, all the bullshit otaku traps with waifus and harems.

It's a bit sad. You barely see philosophy and symbolism like this in anime anymore.

This series started off so innocently and became dark so quickly, as the main character has a pain deep in her soul which she can't flush and gets more and more depressed. She started out so happy. It's like she's looking around the corner constantly in dread of what she might find. I guess that was modern life back then.

The whole story of the haibane is interesting as well, angels put into their own city floating on top of the world, angels who are going charcoal black from evil and sin inherent in life. It's sort of like humanity is constantly losing its meaning.

And so she buries a dead crow...on the edge of my seat for the next episode.

That scene where the guy on the street's face and voice get distorted when she's running away from the clothes shop, I haven't been so reviled by an anime in a long time.
Mar 22, 2020 4:25 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Absolutely great episode, I really wonder what the crow symbolize at the end
Jun 12, 2020 2:54 PM

Jun 2010
Hey, how can the clothes guy warn Rakka of the suddenness of winter in Glie if he's never been outside it?

Thank you for reading my nitpick of a good episode.

On a more serious note, there are many contrasts that can be drawn between Kuu and Rakka's disappearances:
Kuu is cheerful, Rakka is despondent.
Kuu says goodbyes and expresses gratitude to others, Rakka thinks only of herself.
Kuu goes up into the sky on a shaft of light, Rakka goes down into the darkness below the ground.
Kuu leaves for good, Rakka tries to come back when she reaches her destination but fails.
FronzelJun 12, 2020 6:23 PM
Nov 22, 2020 12:46 PM

Feb 2020
I see what this show is trying to do. And it's doing it rather well. But I don't manage to believe in Rakka's character. She's always been lacking a personality (which is even more noticeable when you compare her to the other characters) and her emo transformation seems to be coming out of nowhere, I know Kuu's death tormented her and she's worried about her wings but come on, it's not enough to explain why she's suddenly like that. Okay, apparently she's always been like that but it's not enough to provide her good characterization. (And yes I understand that the whole point is that she is and was depressive and suicidal (and most likely actually committed suicide) but I can understand that and still consider that Rakka feels more like a concept than an actual character. Just saying that to whoever might believe that I'm insensitive for saying stuff like that because judging from some comments, there are people who might believe I'm insensitive.) While I feel invested in this show Rakka's flaws as a character are really making it hard for me to feel as invested as I want to be. (I still really like this show, don't get me wrong.)

Edit : Please don't take me seriously when I say things like "emo transformation". I don't consider Rakka to be emo, I truly understand that she is depressed, I'm just kidding a little bit because of my issues with Rakka's portrayal. I understand what she's going through, why she is feeling that way. But it's going too fast and Rakka truly doesn't feel to me like an actual person, yes she is an accurate representation of some feelings, but that's really all she is. As a character she is empty and I don't think anyone can deny it. Just compare her to Lain for exemple, a character very similar who also happens to suffer from depression, is lonely and doesn't find a purpose in her world. It doesn't prevent her from having a personality, a real one, something that makes her her own person and no one else. (And to anyone telling me she doesn't : trust me, I have TONS of arguments.) And there are plenty of characters in fiction that are excellent reprentations of depression. It doesn't prevent them from also having an actual personality. This is why I'm being so harsh towards Rakka, because I know her being depressive doesn't give the show excuses for not providing her more characterization, and I'm pretty sure that's why so many people are annoyed at her. It has nothing to do with the way we would react to an actual person suffering from depression.
FafetteNov 22, 2020 1:14 PM
Apr 1, 2021 1:19 AM
Jun 2017
An interesting episode.

So the crows must have a role of messengers or something similar. This episode makes the idea of that world being some sort of psychiatric ward or Purgatory for those who have killed themselves reasonable.

Even so, sad Rakka was something I couldn't fully understand. Why would she have such dilemmas so suddenly? But well, that's how that kind of dilemmas start, anyway. But why did she wish for her existence to be wiped out out of the blue?
Feb 8, 2022 6:13 PM

Feb 2021
That was an unexpected development (I mean, it really came out of nowhere). I do like myself some existentialism but this felt seriously forced
Mar 9, 2023 5:37 PM

Dec 2022
Rakka is more at peace with potentially dying of starvation and/or exposure in a well than she ever was beforehand in her moments of self-reflection. Low self-esteem, maybe; but not weak of spirit.

The crow skeleton probably represents the same crow she fell with in her dream. Will burying it and leaving a makeshift grave for it symbolise that she'll grow to accept how Glie is?

Shaded Horizon

Mar 14, 2023 9:24 PM

Sep 2020
I always wanted to watch something like this. It's so calm yet mysterious.
Sep 13, 2023 2:10 PM

Sep 2017
So the anime is about self-harm and suicide. Well, I still wonder what the crows are supposed to represent?
خ
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.