Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 10, 2013 2:34 AM

Apr 2009
I strongly believe Sanetoshi is the puppetmaster behind much of this. Practically everyone is talking to him - he's at the center of the web of connections. The hub.

I'll go so far as to speculate that maybe Kanba is even the new leader of the Kiga Group after Kenzan died. No mere grunt or contractor is going to be receiving all that non-debt money unless he's somewhere far up in the hierarchy. I get that all those recent scenes with Kenzan and Chiemi were all Kanba's delusions; it's probably his coping mechanism to keep himself "sane".

Their pretensions to family unraveled quickly under pressure... I wonder who is Shouma really related to, if all three were unrelated - Kanba is from the Natsume clan and Himari is an abandoned child. I think he still has more secrets to reveal.

I wonder if I missed an episode or something, because neither the hat nor the Penguindrum has been mentioned for a while... I was expecting Shouma to counter Kanba's assertion by saying he'd find the Penguindrum to save Himari.

All these plot twists being pulled off recently. Great execution.
Sep 1, 2013 9:15 PM

Jun 2012
Ugh, dammit, so many conflicted feelings! I don't even know who I want to end up together anymore...
Originally I didn't care as long as it was Ringo x Shouma. Then I wanted Masako x Kanba. I didn't like the idea of Kanba and Himari at first because I wanted him with Kanba. Then episode 20 makes me sad if it's not Shouma x Himari. NOW I want Kanba x Himari as well... I'm about ready to just say fuck it and everyone become polygamists.

The feels in this episode killed me. :'( Was not expecting this turn of events... they just wanted a happy family life together!

And of course, the episode after I mention background characters appearing less and less... this episode starts with lots of background characters... and they even do stuff.

I think Himari might think that whoever was dead in the bar was killed by Kanba... at least, it looked like a body when she walked in. Not quite sure what it was Tabuki and Yuri saw, though... I couldn't tell at all, unless it was Kenzan, which doesn't make sense to me. Unless he truly was alive and Kanba killed him for whatever reason (also doesn't make sense to me). Lots of shit going down now, anyhow.
HalibelTheEspadaSep 1, 2013 9:26 PM
Sep 23, 2013 9:45 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Kanba sees dead people. Literally.

I hope Tabuki and Yuri don't die. At some point we need the Momoka on the actual day scene and they need to be in it.

It's strange how Ringo went from main character to a mere sideshow in this series. Everything is much more complex than in your standard series.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 3, 2013 11:38 PM

Aug 2012
So, the parents were dead the whole time. And what is Sanetoshi, exactly?

Another incredible episode: Two in a row.

So many twists. I can't wait to see where all this ends.
Jan 12, 2014 2:37 PM

Apr 2012
THIS SUCKS FOR EVERYONE OMG

I was actually shocked when they first showed that the noodle shop was abandoned. I so hope all the ends get tied up well at the end ;~;
Jan 25, 2014 7:56 PM

Mar 2013
I have had like a dozen different ideas were the show was going to go with everything over the last couple episodes, but now I give up. I have always been excellent about having a good idea for how everything was going to go down in anime, but there is not even the slightest tinge of cliche for me to use as solid footing.

This show will do as it pleases, and that seems to change like 3 fucking times every fucking episode.

God I love this anime.
Jan 30, 2014 2:24 AM

Feb 2013
WHAT IN THE FUCK IS GOING ON??!?!?!

I am so confused right now....

I don't think I've ever been more confused while watching an anime....
Jan 31, 2014 3:18 PM

Mar 2013
unmemorable_hero said:
WHAT IN THE FUCK IS GOING ON??!?!?!

I am so confused right now....

I don't think I've ever been more confused while watching an anime....

Yeah it's right up there with Higurashi in my opinion.

I remember the first time I watched Higurashi after nearly every episode I would pace around my room trying to figure out just what the fuck was going on. I had very the similar brain cramps while watching this anime.
Apr 13, 2014 3:31 PM

Jan 2012
Thaaaaaaaaaaaat episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The feels!
Damn this is getting intense. I'm gonna chain the last 3 episodes now!
May 17, 2014 9:23 AM

Aug 2007
Really? How is anyone surprised that the Takakuras aren't related? We JUST learned last episode that Kanba and Masako are blood siblings and suddenly everyone is shocked?? That is the WTF moment for me. I feel like everyone is getting fooled too easily by this show running in circles, because nothing happened in this episode except for Himari leaving.
Aug 2, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2013
The absolute worst person in this episode was Shouma. He sends his sister (I don't consider blood relation that important) who might only have a few days to live to some stranger and tells her they are no longer family (and will probably never meet again). Did he want to torture her? What a bastard.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Aug 31, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2013
Ahh I wish Shouma actually beat the crap out of Kanba. If Kanba really just wants Himari to live, then all he had to do was ask help from Masako - wait actually Masako offered her help right? This is all because of Kanba's stupid "I'm going to save Himari!" ego that's making things complicated.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 28, 2014 5:41 PM

May 2014
Can't hold all these feels~

I hate Kanba, Oh, come on, there should be a better way to save Himari!

Feb 6, 2015 10:27 AM
Sep 2014
sedmelluq said:
The absolute worst person in this episode was Shouma. He sends his sister (I don't consider blood relation that important) who might only have a few days to live to some stranger and tells her they are no longer family (and will probably never meet again). Did he want to torture her? What a bastard.

Nah Shou tell Himari to go to his uncle house because he think this family will only cast misfortune on Himari. Shou think that is his fault to make Himari become member of this family too (and suffer all kind of misfortune). And he force this idea of happiness on Himari, not notice Himari true feeling.

Shou's act selfish, but his selfish come from desire "want everyone happy", although people do not feel happy with his way.
Mar 15, 2015 7:02 PM

Apr 2014
hmmm truth about penguindrum has yet to come. i have no idea who's bad or good anymore....that organization seems like it's trying to do something good but at the same time they're evil?? idk
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2015 9:28 PM

Jan 2014
The 3 of them going their different ways was expected from long ago .... but the bloodlines revelations ; that shocked me.

I'm actually on Kanba's side even though I know that he will likely lose like in all animes :'(
MadSkulzMar 15, 2015 9:33 PM
May 26, 2015 8:26 PM
Apr 2015
rrrmyme said:
sedmelluq said:

Nah Shou tell Himari to go to his uncle house because he think this family will only cast misfortune on Himari. Shou think that is his fault to make Himari become member of this family too (and suffer all kind of misfortune). And he force this idea of happiness on Himari, not notice Himari true feeling.

Shou's act selfish, but his selfish come from desire "want everyone happy", although people do not feel happy with his way.

Road to hell is paved with good intensions. Shouma is insufferable.
Jul 31, 2015 2:09 PM

Feb 2015
Jeez, I have no idea what's going on anymore, at this rate we're going to see a tragic ending.
Sep 14, 2015 8:42 AM

Dec 2014
What the fuck did I just watch?
Nov 5, 2015 3:45 AM

Mar 2015
What an unexpected and shocking episode I've ever had, really tragic, mysterious and dramatic moments! Ohhh I see from Natsume why she wants to stop Kanba for doing to Himari, since they are siblings... :(( can't believe it. Gosh I want to find out next! >:((, so sad separate family...
Dec 7, 2015 11:49 AM

Feb 2012
Alis in Wonderland

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 14, 2016 5:23 PM

Aug 2014
Wow, Major plot twist in this episode, its getting somehow confusing, also they totally forgot about the whole Penguindrum and the Diary..weird!.
I hope the ending will makes all this clear.
Good Episode.
Apr 20, 2016 4:08 PM

Dec 2015
There's only one thing (thank god) I still don't understand... When did Kenzan and Chiemi died? I thought Sanetoshi died in the bombing but the parents are also dead, so who's been in control of the organization all this time? Just ~Spooky Ghost~ Sanetoshi?

Anyways these last 2 episodes were really great, this is picking up after a dissapointing middle .
May 29, 2016 9:07 PM
Sep 2015
How did Himari find the terrorist hideout?

Still hope Kanba dies in a fire. That little shit needs to suffer. He doesn't even need the money from the terrorists, he can just accept his real sister's help. But no, he'd rather kill more innocent people.
Sep 4, 2016 4:10 AM
Aug 2015
Wow, so actually non of them is a Takakura...
That scene after Kanba left the restaurant and Himari went in rlly hit me, everything what he see was just his imagination after all.
Did Himari really went to the bad guys just to stop them? And how did she even know where that place is...
Feb 14, 2017 1:18 PM

Jul 2014
So kanba is not related but natsume is related to kanba? Looks like kanba is calling the shots with the kiga group. Tabloid reporter, yuri and tabuki eliminated? Everything begins to unravel.
Mar 25, 2017 9:13 AM
Jun 2016
The twists were such a shock! Felt a chill down my spine.
Apr 30, 2017 1:27 AM

Mar 2012
i think kanba can't accept netsuke's money because he was left out of the family when he left with his dad, and a guy's got his pride.
i don't think he's stupid for that, but i don't like him much either.

anyway, i think i'm gonna do a rewatch of this sometime without reading the comments. sometimes the discussion makes me even more confused.
Aug 8, 2017 10:46 PM
Jan 2017
AimeeKite said:
Well, it's always seemed strange to me that Takakura couple sits in some small cheap restaurant all the time. ^^'

Btw, the "cute" funeral scene with Himari annoyed me a bit. Of course, it's cute in its own way, it's metaphorical and it claims the start of Kanba's deep love for Himari. But just imagine it. You're a 10 year old boy who's lost his father and then some kind of a girl with whom you have to live from now on just puts on a plaster on your cheek and says that it won't hurt anymore? How sarcastic. I'd push such a person back or start crying even more. ^^'
I watched ep21 several times, but I couldn't really find the funeral scene, would you mind telling me which part?
Nov 15, 2017 8:35 AM

Jan 2017
Can't believe this episode. I kinda sensed they were dead, his parents, but at the same time i didn't. And Sanetoshi behind everything, he definitively is a curse.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

May 25, 2018 1:33 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Everytime I watch an episode, one thing gets resolved and a bunch of other questions pop up. Confused.
May 9, 2019 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
boukendesho said:
rrrmyme said:

Road to hell is paved with good intensions. Shouma is insufferable.

Yeah, shouma is a dumbass
Aug 13, 2019 6:27 AM

Aug 2017
Finally an episode with more answers then questions.

The faceless reporter was an interesting addition to the cast. It felt like he was a reference to Haruki Murakami or something. Given the amount of his works that Penguindrum references, and the fact that he himself interviewed the members of Aum group (as well as the victims of the sarin attack), the idea of this reporter being the in-universe Murakami kinda makes sense. The real Murakami wasn't killed tho.
Aug 23, 2019 5:17 AM
Sep 2015
I have so many questions...

If Kanba's parents are dead then where does he find the money? Who gives it to him? Can ghosts give you money?

Also how did Himari find Kanba after leaving the house? Has she always known about the address of the organization?
Feb 11, 2020 11:31 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Ringo means apple I think
Both Kanba and Shou had an apple and Ringo is an apple. Multiple times in the OP has she been burnt away like Momoka who got burns when she saved Yuri.
So there's a good chance Ringo has to give up her life. She's also the apple shared between Shou and Himari ("sister" and friend)

Perhaps Shou and Himari breaking bonds means something will happen to Ringo?
Feb 29, 2020 2:47 PM

May 2019
So, in this episode we discovered:

- Sanetoshi is the main villain and probably had a "end of world" evil plan that Momoka sacrificed herself to interfere.

- Kamba replaced Kezan as the leader of Kiga terrorists in order to save Himari, cleary all what Sanetoshi planned since the start.

- Natsumi wants to save Kamba, and how it disturb Sanetoshi plans, that is why he is manipulating her through her little brother Mario.

- Himari was adopted by Shouma, who is son of Kezan, who also adopted Kamba after his real father (also father of Natsumi/Mario) died.

- Looks like Kezan + Natsumi/Mario/Kamba's father was all in the Sanetoshi Evil Penguim group. Probably all the births in 1995 (Ringo, Shouma, Kamba and maybe Natusme) are related to the change of destiny that Momoka did to avoid the end of world.
Feb 11, 2021 6:54 AM

May 2020
So none of them related. And Kanba's apparently been hallucinating his foster parents. I had doubts as to whether Natsume and Kanba were actual siblings but then she came and said it. Which makes their kiss incestuous and all the HimarixKanba scenes not incestuous.

It's really hard to keep track of who's kissing their sister and who's not.
Feb 12, 2021 9:57 PM
Aug 2008
Orulyon said:

Also, if i recall, in episode 12 the princess says to him "The Scorpion soul light shines red" while grabbing the light in his chest. I went to see the symbolism of Scorpions and i found in a page this: "It represents the world in its harshest most destructive nature, and yet with a very protective nature. There is no cruelty in the scorpion. It is simple, emotionless, and deadly at the same time. Cold-blooded simplicity at its finest". which quite fits Kanba since he has the scorpion soul.

For anyone still wandering these threads in 2021, the scorpion (like many other moments in this series) is a nod to a fable that’s told in the book/anime movie Night on the Galactic Railroad. Definitely recommend giving it a google and seeing how it relates to Kanba’s actions. :)

And I love almost all of the characters in this show, but Kanba is my favorite, which makes "Why didn’t he accept Masako’s offer for money?" my most burning question. I really hope it’s explained in these last few eps.

I don’t think being complicit with a terrorist group is a noble choice on Kanba’s part, but I tend to enjoy flawed protagonists. His devotion to Himari and the lengths it’s driven him to has been a wild ride. But if he could have gotten her medicine through Masako and refused purely because he didnt want to owe her — eh, I don’t know. I worry it will completely ruin my outlook on his character.

Sacrificing the lives of others to save a loved one? Complicated, dark and tragic.
Sacrificing the lives of others to save a loved one because you don’t want to be indebted to family you’re not crazy about? Pretty douchey.

Guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Ah, and because I didn’t see anyone else mention it.... maybe it’s my Kanba bias at work, but I didn’t see his walking away from Shoma — or the subsequent fight — come from cruelty or disinterest in his ties to his stepbrother.

He believes he has to follow this terrorist path to save Himari, and he (correctly) believes it’s not a road that Shoma can — or would be willing to — walk.

Another arguably flawed way to handle things, but I think it comes from a place of concern for both of his siblings.
Aug 11, 2022 11:06 PM

May 2017
I seriously don't understand the terrorist group what in the he'll is happening what a confusing show
Sep 14, 2022 5:29 PM

Feb 2016
Heaviest episode but the best one so far.

Kanba doin hit jobs(and probably other kinds of dirty business) which is not surprising to me since he did say he would do anything for Himari.

Already knew since the previous episode or two Masako and Kanba were siblings but what surprised me was that Kenzan wasn't their dad at all. God damn. Him being dead in that bar the whole time(Chiemi too I assume) and Kanba talking to them pretty much confirms Kanba's mental state is in shittier shape than we thought.

This episode almost got me teary eyed especially since nothing will be the same anymore ;-;
Nov 13, 2022 1:04 AM
May 2022
im disappointed i came for brotherly love..idk wht the fuck happened im confused
Mar 25, 2:57 PM

Jul 2016
The contrast between the montage of the brothers building the perfect little house for Himari at the start and Shoma being left alone at the end is brutal. Someone get Ringo to hug the guy already, man.

Well that post-credits scene explains why Kanba is so fiercely motivated to keep Himari alive, and, well, *those* scenes from earlier on between him and mainly Hatmari. Boy this one was heavy with reveals and twists.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.