MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

How did you discover anime?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» Australian Anime Fans »» How did you discover anime?

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
02-23-12, 4:41 AM

I watched Cheese TV back when I was 4yrs old(2001) xD Later when i was 8yrs old(2005) I received a gift voucher for this DvD shop which was in my local shopping centre (i think i the shop was called dvdeasy or something like that) and i was going to buy Teen Titans, but then my sister told me not to by that and then she pointed me to the anime section and picked up Princess Tutu. I went and bought it and i fell in love with it then i started to bug my sister about more shows similar to Princess Tutu. She gave me Sailor Moon and Wedding Peach which were both great to watch.

04-30-12, 11:31 AM

Seems similar stories for a lot of us.

Watched Cheese TV as a kid, though didn't really see it as an 'anime' pursuit and didn't watch any anime for years afterwards.
About 2010 I was bored and watched Pokemon and DBZ for no particular reason other than wanting to find out what happened. Really enjoyed it so I ended up looking for other anime and before I knew it was watching things on a more than regular basis.

05-16-12, 12:14 AM

Cheez TV xD

05-19-12, 1:04 AM

Yeah...that morning show, Cheese TV...
I just watched Poke'mon. I don't even know what I watched in the, like... 7 years between the time I actually started buying my own anime, but that's when I kinda got an interest in it.

09-16-12, 4:56 AM

For me it started with of course the cheese tv animes like dragon ball z and naruto, then after that i met a friend who introduced me to haruhi and clannad and i was like wow nice animes. After that i met another friend who had more than 1tb+ worth of anime on his hard drive, and i was like "Give me all Plox". This caused myself to awaken into a new self and thus i have now watched a lot of animes xD. Long story.

09-16-12, 5:44 AM

I started getting into anime about 7 years ago. I had seen a couple of episodes of one piece and pokemon on cartoon network but I wasn't really allowed to watch it because it was too violent (yes, I know, pathetic right? My new nickname at uni is sheltered college girl :( after the meme's and they're kinda funny because it's true XD).
I then saw a couple of episodes of naruto and like a rebellious teenager a taped them (with a video cassette) on a Sunday night when there was the recap of episodes during the week on cartoon network. I then got bored of waiting and went online to watch (all in secret of course).
Well, you can guess what happened, I finished naruto and decided to go back and find one piece. Little did I know, I found the whole world of anime and my anime list has grown since then :). It's really pathetic, but I still watch anime in secret, no one in my family knows about it. My guilty little pleasure XD
I will admit that I enjoy dubs as that's what I started out on, but I don't mind subs either. Sorry about this being really long too.

09-17-12, 1:34 AM

Unlike you guys, I never really watched cheese tv and the like (too early for me).Well anyway for me I saw some anime reviews in the back of this magazine I read, so I decided to check it out... and I loved it so much they I kept watching more and more, and here we are today
Modified by woahevil1, 10-16-12, 1:59 AM

10-15-12, 7:29 AM

A few years ago i moved out of the family home and in with my (now ex) girl friend. nether of us ever watched TV, there was never anything interesting on and the only show i did like (stargate) they never seemed to air all the episodes. seemed if the footy or what ever went too long they just dropped that episode and played the one after that the next week, completely skipping that episode. so i started downloading that show. so not long after that the tv got unplugged and put into storage.

Some time after that my brother came over to my house and handed me a portable hard drive and said a guy at tafe gave him a heap of anime and i should watch some, and i was like ani what?

My brother said watch Full Metal Alchemist, so i did. then i watched another anime and another one and another one and haven't stopped

11-03-12, 2:37 AM

I found out about anime watching youtube, I heard people talking about a show called bleach and decided to look it up and then discovered many other anime series and instantly fell love with it

11-04-12, 1:55 AM

Like everyone else, I watched Cheese TV. I was a huge fan of DBZ. More so than anyone else I knew. I also liked Pokemon until they changed the voice actors. However, there was one show that kept me from watching more anime. That show was Naruto. I hated the show and assumed that all anime was like that. So I came to the conclusion that Dragonball Z was the only good anime ever.

Then about a year ago, I bought a special issue Japan issue of Hyper (The Game Magazine). Since I was young, I've always been fascinated by Japanese culture and its weirdness so I thought I'd pick it up. With it came an anime sampler disc with the first episodes of a few shows on it. I had nothing to do since I had played all my video games to death and couldn't afford to buy more. So I though, why not? I started with watching Highschool of the Dead. I knew what to expect when I read it but I still hated it. The dialogue was awful, the characters were annoying and the fanservice was way too distracting. I then watched Black Butler. I thought it was alright, if a little weird. But I had almost zero interest in watching more.

That was when I found K-On. I didn't know how to react the first time I watched it. A show with an all girl cast was very foreign to me. But there was something about the show that really drew me in. I don't know whether it was the rock music references, Yui's Les Paul, the characters, or the ending theme. Whatever it was, I liked it. And I wanted more. Before I knew it, I was at JB-Hi-Fi buying the first volume of the show along with the pink collector's box.

After loving K-On, I found The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Crispin Freeman's narration along with the batshit crazy antics of Haruhi made me fall in love with the show. The Movie has been in my number 1 spot since December last year and it's not being knocked off any time soon. I also found Lucky Star. I found it to be a little boring but something about the show kept me watching. Then I found Death Note, then Baka and Test, then Code Geass and before I knew it I was going to my first con
Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding- and shoot it.
Shoot it in the god damn face.

06-27-13, 3:40 AM

For me, anime isn't a discovery, ever since birth, I knew it all along, it was one of my childhood moments..I am lucky enough to have known it at such a young age..till now, it will stay the same forevermore...my life is yet to continue throughout the long awaited anime series out there!!!

10-22-13, 1:33 AM

I remember starting to watch Pokemon on Channel 10 sometimes. Then I watched a bit of Naruto and One Piece when they came out on 10 too.
From there, I went to explore anime after watching Sword Art Online which my brother recommended to me in 2012. Now I'm here.

10-24-13, 7:04 PM

My Parents friends from Japan gave me part 6 from Gundam Seed for my 10th Birthday

12-12-13, 11:59 PM

Just randomly found a manga at the library called Ah! My Goddess!, loved it, went to Supanova, bought the anime, loved it and that was the start of my obsession. Girls won't get into it by watching it on TV because the only stuff that gets aired on TV are shounen and there's only been 2 shounen's that I've ever enjoyed: Magi and Gintama and Magi isn't even that good.

12-13-13, 2:56 AM

My parents gave me an anime to watch when I was 8 years old back in 1999. It was called Galaxy Express 999, a series from the 70s. That's probably the starting point for my anime fandom.

01-08-14, 9:23 AM

Cheez TV
Mclovinballs said:
For some reason, I'm picturing an Australian dub with all the voices done by Steve Irwin saying "crikey" to every titan.

01-09-14, 9:11 PM

My older brother had a decent collection which I used to watch with him. The ones I remember were Final Fantasy Unlimited and Argento Soma which I now realise were actually terrible.

I found an old DVD of Paranoia Agent when I was home sick one day a while ago and thought I'd watch it (the front cover always intrigued me since I was little). I loved it and ever since then I've been into it.
._.

03-24-14, 3:35 AM

when i was 10 my brother showed me naruto, i loved it at the time but was too stupid and i didn't know what anime even was, then well 2 years later i rediscovered anime through my brother again, started watching about 5 different animes then stopped again, 1 year later im here now hooked to the stuff.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices