Forum Settings
Forums

Please Recommend me some GOOD Violent/Action Anime Series or Movies. (Based on my List)

New
Nov 28, 2011 10:22 PM
Dec 2010
So far I've come up with a little over 50 violence/action oriented anime series and movies I really liked. I havent updated my watched/dropped list in a long time so I'l just paste it from my notepad. Totally ignore my dropped as I obviously picked some of those back up and ended up loving them :)

I have the movies and series seperated.

The most recent I saw was Jyu oh sei, which was a wonderful gem to find. I'm hoping to find something else that can compare.

Heres my list.

Thanks for any help you can give!

(Please ignore the word remove, as its copied from my playlist)

SERIES:

Afro Samurai ( 2007 ) - Remove
Baccano ( 2007 ) - Remove
Baki the Grappler ( 2005 ) - Remove
Basilisk ( 2005 ) - Remove
Berserk ( 1997 ) - Remove
Black Lagoon ( 2006 ) - Remove
Canaan ( 2009 ) - Remove
Chrome Shelled Regios (Kôkaku no regiosu) ( 2009 ) - Remove
Claymore ( 2007 ) - Remove
Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion ( 2006 ) - Remove
Darker than black Kuro no keiyakusha ( 2007 ) - Remove
Death Note (Desu noto) ( 2006 ) - Remove
Elfen Lied ( 2004 ) - Remove
GTO ( 1999 ) - Remove
Gungrave ( 2003 ) - Remove
Hellsing Ultimate OVA Series ( 2006 ) - Remove
Higurashi no naku koro ni ( 2006 ) - Remove
Jyu oh sei ( 2006 ) - Remove
Michiko to Hatchin ( 2008 ) - Remove
Monster ( 2004 ) - Remove
Ninja Scroll: The Series ( 2003 ) - Remove
Rurouni Kenshin ( 2000 ) - Remove
Samurai 7 ( 2004 ) - Remove
Samurai Champloo ( 2004 ) - Remove
Wolf's Rain ( 2003 ) - Remove

MOVIES

Akira ( 1988 ) - Remove
Appleseed (Appurushido) ( 2004 ) - Remove
Appleseed Saga : Ex Machina (Ekusu makina) ( 2007 ) - Remove
Cowboy Bebop - The Movie ( 2001 ) - Remove
Fist of the North Star ( 1984 ) - Remove
Ghost in the Shell ( 1995 ) - Remove
Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex ( 2002 ) - Remove
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 ( 2008 ) - Remove
Howl's Moving Castle (Hauru no ugoku shiro) ( 2004 ) - Remove
Kidô keisatsu patorebâ Gekijô-ban ( -0001 ) - Remove
Kidô keisatsu patorebâ The Movie 2 ( 1993 ) - Remove
Kuro no shishi ( 1992 ) - Remove
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds ( 1984 ) - Remove
Ninja Scroll (Jûbei ninpûchô) ( 1993 ) - Remove
Paprika ( 2006 ) - Remove
Perfect Blue ( 1998 ) - Remove
Princess Mononoke (Mononoke-hime) ( 1997 ) - Remove
Spriggan ( 2001 ) - Remove
Sword of the Stranger - (Sutorenjia: Mukô hadan) ( 2007 ) - Remove
The Wolf Brigade ( 1999 ) - Remove
Trigun Badlands Rumble ( 2010 ) - Remove
Vampire Hunter D (Kyuketsuki hanta D) ( 1985 ) - Remove
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust ( 2000 ) - Remove
WXIII Patlabor the Movie 3 ( 2002 ) - Remove
X ( 1996 ) - Remove

Also Have seen:

Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Speed Grapher, Blue Gender, and Trigun Series. For some reason didnt have them on my playlist.
DollaHollaNov 28, 2011 10:36 PM
Nov 28, 2011 11:00 PM
Jul 2011
Gantz
Monster
Baccano!
You should definitely pick up Shigurui again as it is perfect for what you are asking for.
Nov 28, 2011 11:04 PM

Jul 2011
I'd say that Durarara!! is pretty good if you're looking for some action =P
Nov 29, 2011 7:53 AM
Dec 2010
Raitei_Dono said:
Gantz
Monster
Baccano!
You should definitely pick up Shigurui again as it is perfect for what you are asking for.

I cant even remember why I dropped Shigurui or anything about the anime. So I'll definitely give it a try again. As you can see I had previously dropped Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop only to pick them up later and fall in love with them :L

Baccano & Monster are both on my list. Monster was excellent. Baccano the action was good, the story and plot was kinda meh.

Gantz I've seen but I didnt care for it at all. Just seemed to be nonsensical violence for the sake of violece. I actually preferred the Live Action Films over the Gantz Anime. It just seemed the craziness was more at home with real people. Funny lookin carrot aliens and strange spheres dont seem so weird when their drawings.

For the record, I've also seen several episodes of DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece but that mass produced 1,000,000 episode fanfare doesnt belong in my favey lists :l

I've also seen Fate/Zero, Deadman Wonderland, and Saikano. All of which didnt end up in my lists. FateZero was stupid, decent action that built up to nothig. DMW had its parts but couldnt hold up to the lkes of Akira, Code Geass, or ElfenLied, which it reminded me of / stole ideas from whichever way you want to put it. Saikano lost me 3 or 4 eps in. Too silly or something.

But I belive thats the only animes I've seen that didnt make it into my lists

cyphon619 said:
I'd say that Durarara!! is pretty good if you're looking for some action =P

Durarara!! is also another anime I've dropped but cant remember why, or anything about the anime. So just like Shigurui I'll give it a try again.

So my to watch so far is:

Shigurui
Durarara!!

Just started watching Guilty Crown last night, seems promising if the main character stops acting like a pansy.

I've heard really good things about Steins;Gate. Any thoughts there? I havent seen Chaos;Head, do I need to watch it first if I'm going to watch & understand Steins;Gate?

Thanks so much for the couple of recs so far. Any other help will be very welcome :)

I'd like to hopefully get at least 5 - 6 animes rec'd that sound promising, that I havent seen. It seems if I can get that many, there is always at least 1 that I'll really love within them.
Nov 29, 2011 8:22 AM

Feb 2010
Well, let's start:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex + 2nd Gig (TV Series)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Don't mind if you've seen the older series, it's very different - or the other way round, both are recommendable)
Master Keaton (this is episodical and has not always action, but it is awesome)
Hunter X Hunter (not the new version)
Kino no Tabi (also episodical and not always action, but very intelligent and interesting)
Kaiji
Tiger & Bunny
Area 88 OVA
Seirei no Moribito
Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu
Shiki
Patlabor: The Movie (1+2)
Mononoke
Tekkon Kinkreet
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Katanagatari
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Sengoku Basara
Redline
Kurozuka
The Skull Man
Texhnolyze
Higashi no Eden
Outlaw Star
Zipang
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

In my humble opinion those are all 8+ rating shows.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 29, 2011 9:26 AM

Jul 2011
School Days :D Only episode 12

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Nov 29, 2011 9:32 AM

Feb 2009
Hellsing Ultimate and Baccano. Give them at least 3 episodes and you'll love them.
Nov 29, 2011 11:14 AM

Feb 2010
Veethorn said:
Hellsing Ultimate and Baccano. Give them at least 3 episodes and you'll love them.

Both are in his starting post.
Nov 29, 2011 12:46 PM

Apr 2009
DollaHolla said:
.I've heard really good things about Steins;Gate. Any thoughts there? I havent seen Chaos;Head, do I need to watch it first if I'm going to watch & understand Steins;Gate?

Steins;Gate is considered pretty good. It's not really an action anime, and the action that is there is not on the level of most of the anime you've listed. It's pretty low-key. But when it gets going about 4 or so episodes in, it's a great story.

You do not have to watch Chaos;Head to understand and like Stins;Gate. There is no connection other than they are supposedly set in the same world. Chaos;Head is generally considered a terrible mess of an anime, so you can avoid it completely.
Nov 29, 2011 1:12 PM

Oct 2011
Hokuto no Ken... About as gory as it gets, brain everywhere! \(^o^)/
Nov 29, 2011 1:59 PM
Oct 2011
Maybe dance in the vampire bund might be up your alley. Decent story and art some gore I guess you could say lil dark but was pretty goof
Nov 29, 2011 7:10 PM
Dec 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Well, let's start:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex + 2nd Gig (TV Series)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Don't mind if you've seen the older series, it's very different - or the other way round, both are recommendable)
Master Keaton (this is episodical and has not always action, but it is awesome)
Hunter X Hunter (not the new version)
Kino no Tabi (also episodical and not always action, but very intelligent and interesting)
Kaiji
Tiger & Bunny
Area 88 OVA
Seirei no Moribito
Shiki
Patlabor: The Movie (1+2)
Mononoke
Tekkon Kinkreet
Katanagatari
Sengoku Basara
Redline
Kurozuka
The Skull Man
Texhnolyze
Higashi no Eden
Outlaw Star
Zipang
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku

In my humble opinion those are all 8+ rating shows.

Thank you very much everyone! Lots of stuff to try now :)
Tekkon Kinkreet I have seen, and I liked it a lot, albeit it was a very strange movie. Only saw it recently so musta forgot to put it on my list.

Hokotu No Ken, Patlabor 1 & 2, and all Ghost in the Shells I've seen. I think their on my list.

FMA Brotherhood is on my list in the 1st post but down at the very bottom in a edit beause I forgot to include it.

I have tried to watch Phantom Req For a Phantom but didnt make it past the 2ndep. Gonna have to try it again. I think the name had me turned off before I even watched it.

Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
I also tried out when they first came out, but I think I only dropped it awaiting all eps to be released. So tyvm for reminding me of those for sure :)

Higashi No Eden was on my old To Watch List at the very top, I now remember, but I lost/deleted it when I reformated my comp So I think I'll start with that one :)

Tengen Toppa GL Is one of those animes I have put off for forever because I've never heard many people talking about it. All the review say its great, but where are the fanboys? And I dont much care for mecha anime unless its IMPECCABLE.
I would of never watched Code Geass had I not read several threads here and posts on yahoo answers about people hollering about how incredible it was. And they were right ;)

Tiger & Bunny I'm going to go try right now because of the title. This is the type of title that would make me never even open up the anime page to look at the synopsis unless someone, like you, directed me there. And the synopsis/reviews sound interesting as well. So gonna go watch a ep or two now, or I never will lol. Might be a hidden gem :L

Tyvm for the advice on Steins;Gate. A anime doesnt necessarily HAVE to have violence/action for me to enjoy it. But the ones w/o action/violence have to make up for it with something to keep my eyes glued to the screen. Other than having to read the subs ofc :L Most of the violent animes I love, its the non-violent scenes that are my favorite. IE Griffith speech about dreams in Berserk or the scenes in Claymore where Claire, as a lil girl, is mindlessly walking after the #1 (her name eludes me) The violence just sets such a perfect counter-weight to the other things.

Everything else from this list also sounds very promising. Had never heard of most and the reviews/synopsis sounds right up my alley

tyty

TO WATCH SO FAR:

Master Keaton Hunter X Hunter (not the new version)
Kino no Tabi
Kaiji
Tiger & Bunny
Area 88 OVA
Seirei no Moribito
Shiki
Mononoke
Katanagatari
Sengoku Basara
Redline
Kurozuka
The Skull Man
Texhnolyze
Higashi no Eden
Outlaw Star
Zipang
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Shigurui
Durarara!!
Steins;Gate
dance in the vampire bund
Nov 29, 2011 7:22 PM

Feb 2010
DollaHolla said:

Thank you very much everyone! Lots of stuff to try now :)
Tekkon Kinkreet I have seen, and I liked it a lot, albeit it was a very strange movie. Only saw it recently so musta forgot to put it on my list.

Hokotu No Ken, Patlabor 1 & 2, and all Ghost in the Shells I've seen. I think their on my list.

I wasn't sure about the second season of GITS because you only named the first, but I guess it was implied.

FMA Brotherhood is on my list in the 1st post but down at the very bottom in a edit beause I forgot to include it.

You only said FMA so I assumed you were referring to the old series. Have you watched both? Because as I said they are very(!) different but both recommendable.

Tengen Toppa GL Is one of those animes I have put off for forever because I've never heard many people talking about it. All the review say its great, but where are the fanboys? And I dont much care for mecha anime unless its IMPECCABLE.

I don't like mecha too in most cases, but TTGL is just so ridiculously awesome, you should give it until about episode 7 or 8 to decide if you like it or not. As an alternative there are two movies who are covering the most important aspects of the show which are also very good, so you could watch those instead if you want.

Tiger & Bunny I'm going to go try right now because of the title. This is the type of title that would make me never even open up the anime page to look at the synopsis unless someone, like you, directed me there. And the synopsis/reviews sound interesting as well. So gonna go watch a ep or two now, or I never will lol. Might be a hidden gem :L

It was the same for me, but you really can't judge this one by the cover. I really fell in love with this series while it was still airing and would definitely consider it a gem.

I'm glad you're interested in some of my recs, I hope you enjoy them :)
Oct 24, 2015 8:08 PM
Oct 2015
You should watch Psycho Pass and Tokyo Ghoul. Both are amazing.
Oct 24, 2015 8:27 PM

Jan 2015
Shiki and Psycho-Pass
Both of these series are pretty good when it comes to violence and action.
Oct 24, 2015 8:33 PM

Jun 2015
Hunter x Hunter 2011
http://myanimelist.net/anime/11061/Hunter_x_Hunter_(2011)
Read Toriko!
Jun 17, 2016 6:32 PM

Jan 2015
Full Metal Panic and Highschool of the Dead
Jun 17, 2016 6:39 PM
Nov 2014
Grisaia series there's more action in the special and the 2nd season
Jun 17, 2016 9:56 PM
Apr 2015
Dead Leaves is one of the craziest action oriented/violent anime's i have seen. Definitely worth looking at if the art style doesn't put you off. http://myanimelist.net/anime/974/Dead_Leaves
Apr 17, 2018 9:13 PM
Apr 2018
Terraformars, violence Jack and also look into some anime from 80's I have found some Jems I don't remember the name of
Apr 17, 2018 11:55 PM
Aug 2013
check my list you can search tags by genre & year
~AnimeDownUnder~

More topics from this board

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
2 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
3 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 4 hours ago

0 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
4 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.