Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 11, 2007 11:05 PM

Aug 2007
ok, first things first... i only came across this anime because i read about it on a couple of websites (where the reviews were ALWAYS good), plus, the anime that i'm watching now (lucky star), always has little appearances of something that has to do with mhs in their episodes. whether it be a pic of suzumiya, the *mi, mi, miracle mikurun-run* song, or the dance during the mhs credits. they're all in lucky star, so i assumed, "wow, this mhs series is pretty popular, must be good, i should watch it."

ok good... i watched it...now tell me,

whats so good about this anime????????? SURE its original, i'll give it that but, its not the funniest anime out there; the animation and artwork is nothing too spectacular; plus, suzumiya's personality pissed me off to the point where i wanted kyon to slap her. i liked the voice actors tho... also, it felt like everything was squished into the 14 episodes and there was no "emotional attachment" to the characters in my opinion.

p.s. i read the first volume to its manga. its sucks.

i WILL says this tho, the anime isnt bad, i'll definitely watch the second season when it comes out, but as for this one..? OVER-RATED
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 11, 2007 11:08 PM

Jul 2007
But... It has Yuki.
Aug 11, 2007 11:12 PM

Aug 2007
matdavhans said:
But... It has Yuki.

thats not good enuf.
Aug 11, 2007 11:36 PM

Oct 2006
I thought it was quite good... some of the episodes are pretty hilarious, I like the art and characters, and it's pretty unique. I do agree that it's a bit overrated - it's quite good, but not enough to really justify its reputation in my opinion. And while I like the characters, the only ones I grew particularly fond of were Yuki and perhaps Kyon.

My favorite aspect of the show is definitely the humor though. Well, ignoring that awesome concert scene anyway. The first episode is particularly great - I found it completely hilarious.
Aug 12, 2007 1:17 AM

Aug 2007
Krelian said:
I thought it was quite good... some of the episodes are pretty hilarious, I like the art and characters, and it's pretty unique. I do agree that it's a bit overrated - it's quite good, but not enough to really justify its reputation in my opinion. And while I like the characters, the only ones I grew particularly fond of were Yuki and perhaps Kyon.

My favorite aspect of the show is definitely the humor though. Well, ignoring that awesome concert scene anyway. The first episode is particularly great - I found it completely hilarious.

yea, that concert scene was raw, and it IS supposed to be a funny anime but, if your lookin for something funny, you should watch Seto no Hanayome. i'm on the 8th ep and its one of the funniest anime's i've evar seen. but who knows, we all got diff tastes.

i'm just tryna get my message across to people that this isnt worth a 10/10 like some people say... its at least a 7/10.
btw, i dont know why people like yuki, or for the record, *silent like characters*. they just seem............meh.......
Aug 12, 2007 1:31 AM

Oct 2006
Different tastes? I happen to think the quiet types are pretty cute. She is surprisingly popular though, just like the series.

As far as comedy goes, it isn't the funniest show I've seen either (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has that title in a deathgrip at the moment) but that doesn't make it less worth watching. I mean, it isn't like you can only watch one or the other. There are plenty of other series I enjoyed more, but Haruhi no Yuutsu is still a great show in my book.
Aug 12, 2007 1:46 AM

Aug 2007
I thought it was really good...

Did you watch it the right way or the chronological way? Cause yeah, the series despite being a tad bit more confusing is like 10x better the Proper way. I also suggest watching it twice, theres bound to be something you missed or that didn't make sense the first time around.
Aug 12, 2007 2:00 AM

Aug 2007
i watched it the "right" way. assuming "that" way is when all the episodes jump around. is there a reason to that anyway...?

if i wanted to watch it in chronological order, what episodes would i watch first to last? but ur saying that way is worst...? >_>

meh.
Aug 12, 2007 2:12 AM

Aug 2007
The Episode Jumping I believe is to add to suspence and the general randomness of the series.

I belive theres a guide to the chronological order on Wikipedia.

Watching it in chronological order is still fine but In my opinion the Proper way is much better.
Aug 12, 2007 2:13 AM

Jul 2007
I prefer the original scattered TV order because it's how the anime was intended to be watched... I think.

Anyway, I didn't really understand what all the fuss was about either. Aside from Kyoto Animation being the hippest kid on the block. And the OP/EDs were nice... But it wasn't really funny... Haruhi was a b*tch... I liked Yuki, though. :P

I'll be watching the second season, but despite it being Kyoto Animation's most popular anime, it's actually my least favorite they've done.
Aug 12, 2007 2:17 AM

Aug 2007
ahh ok. thnx

...i just realized that there was a section for "anime series discussion". dam my noobness.
oh well ^_^
Aug 12, 2007 3:15 AM

Dec 2006
I join the opinion that this show is over rated, I was bored as hell when watching this show :|

though I don't think this is Kyoto's animation best work like soulslayer mentioned. I think they did a better job with Full metal panic second raid
Aug 12, 2007 3:39 AM

Mar 2007
doeman87 said:
ok, first things first... i only came across this anime because i read about it on a couple of websites (where the reviews were ALWAYS good), plus, the anime that i'm watching now (lucky star), always has little appearances of something that has to do with mhs in their episodes. whether it be a pic of suzumiya, the *mi, mi, miracle mikurun-run* song, or the dance during the mhs credits. they're all in lucky star, so i assumed, "wow, this mhs series is pretty popular, must be good, i should watch it."

ok good... i watched it...now tell me,

whats so good about this anime????????? SURE its original, i'll give it that but, its not the funniest anime out there; the animation and artwork is nothing too spectacular; plus, suzumiya's personality pissed me off to the point where i wanted kyon to slap her. i liked the voice actors tho... also, it felt like everything was squished into the 14 episodes and there was no "emotional attachment" to the characters in my opinion.

i WILL says this tho, the anime isnt bad, i'll definitely watch the second season when it comes out, but as for this one..? OVER-RATED

i agree with you, season 1 is a bit overrated, since most of the good parts in the light novel weren't included. watch out for season 2 though. it WILL get way better.

doeman87 said:
p.s. i read the first volume to its manga. its sucks.

don't read the manga. you'll get distracted by the stupid art. read the light novel. the art is even better there than the anime.
Aug 12, 2007 7:31 AM

Apr 2007
doeman87 said:

we all got diff tastes.

doeman87 said:
i'm just tryna get my message across to people that this isnt worth a 10/10 like some people say... its at least a 7/10.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2007 7:36 AM

Jul 2007
If you don't like it, you don't like it. But don't try and tell people that their opinions are wrong. It's worth a 10 to me and many others. I wouldn't tell you that the Love Hina anime isn't worth a 10, even though I found it bland, frustrating at times, and nowhere near what the manga accomplished, but that's just me.
Aug 12, 2007 8:08 AM

Mar 2005
the manga? pfft. novels ppl.

doeman87 said:
the animation and artwork is nothing too spectacular

if you don't like the story that's taste, but how can you watch the concert scene and still say the animation is not spectacular?

In any case, it seems your beef with the anime is that it's not "funny" enough. heh, well funny is probably one of the most subjective things ever. also suzumiya's character...I love her, but I can understand why some ppl dislike her. she's a character with a very strong personality, but the trick is to not think of her as a typical serious character, but think of her in a more absurd light...yea something like that. She's liked because she's so different from other anime characters (yes she is, there is no one else like Haruhi Suzumiya).
Aug 12, 2007 8:54 AM

Aug 2007
The animation is the best I ever saw in an anime!

Aug 12, 2007 11:41 AM

May 2007
doeman87 said:
OVER-RATED

Lucky Star is much more over-ratet^^
But yes its somehow over-ratet.

But its still not a bad Series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Guidelines!
Aug 12, 2007 12:18 PM

Oct 2006
Lucky Star is just more of a niche thing. I personally find it absolutely hilarious, but the sense of humor isn't geared towards everyone.
Aug 12, 2007 12:59 PM

Jul 2007

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
Aug 12, 2007 1:08 PM

Nov 2006
drac said:

copypasta
Aug 12, 2007 1:10 PM

Jul 2007
I JUST ASSUMED NOT MANY MAL USERS GO TO 4CHAN

damn

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
Aug 12, 2007 1:12 PM

Nov 2006
drac said:
I JUST ASSUMED NOT MANY MAL USERS GO TO 4CHAN

damn
:Db
Aug 12, 2007 1:12 PM

Jul 2007
Haruhi is just highly enjoyable to some while to others not. Simple as that.
Lucky Star to me is like Azumanga Daioh. Its not like "I laugh myself to death" funny but both are enjoyable to watch.
And... the rest Kei said.

Drac, you underestimate us. We are everywhere.
Aug 12, 2007 1:13 PM

Aug 2007
1. of course love hina isnt a perfect 10. i just put that because it was the first japanese anime that i started watching and happened to fall in love with it. (my own selfish reason)

2. yea lucky star is over rated, it isnt the best either. in my opinion, the only anime that actually lives up to its potential is death note (on ep 26).

3. the concert scene was just ONE SCENE out of the 14 episodes. the whole show wasnt that nicely animated.

4. where can i read the light novel?? i thought only mangas were available to dl.
Aug 12, 2007 1:19 PM

Jul 2007
Exactly, so you shoudn't knock people who do give MoHS a 10. :)
Aug 12, 2007 1:21 PM

Aug 2007
meiaminkbell said:

...but my reasons were.. special =(
Aug 12, 2007 4:21 PM

Aug 2007
MoHS isn't the greatest thing evar in the history of evar for me, on a personal level, but I think it deserves much of its praise. My take on why:

Firstly, the sheer cleverness of it. That it makes the least bit of sense at all after being broadcast totally out of chronological order would be a significant achievement in and of itself. The fact is, it makes perfect sense, tells an interesting and complex story and comes across as extremely original in doing so. That is a very, very special thing, and it's easy to take it somewhat for granted.

The out of order thing makes a big difference, as it's much more of a hook to make you keep watching and work out how what you've learned fits the events to come, what else you will learn that will make better sense of what you've seen but not understood, and what events lead up to what you just saw. It also keeps the whole storyline fresh by gradually adding information that applies to the whole series at once; it's almost like the process of thinking up a complex story yourself.

The characters are fantastic; charismatic, credible, different, and all of them relate to one another in a fascinating way. It's also consistently funny, and it has a realistic setting that resonates well; you can imagine the events you see that little bit easier.
Aug 12, 2007 6:13 PM

Jul 2007
doeman87 said:
meiaminkbell said:

...but my reasons were.. special =(

:(

*pats his head*

You are special...but not that special :)
Aug 12, 2007 6:28 PM

Jul 2007
I mostly liked mohs for the characters. the series isn't laugh out loud funny but is amusing to watch.

Aug 12, 2007 6:50 PM
May 2007
I didn't quite get MoHS at first, but on second viewing I found it hilarious.
Aug 13, 2007 1:06 AM

Feb 2007
I never really considered MoHS as a comedy. More like...some...hybrid...of imagination twisted and turned into 14 episodes of complete randomness. That i loved. ^_^

All the characters seem to be love or hate. Especially with Haruhi. Kyon because he doesn't try to stop her enough and is always thinking about Asahina. Though i love his sarcastic side. Asahina kinda annoys me. That's the case with some people. Some people don't like the slient type, but Yuki pwns all. Maybe it's the alien+glasses+kickass fighting in episode 10 combo. And Itsuki...don't even get me started on him. *sigh*
Aug 13, 2007 5:26 AM

Mar 2007
doeman87 said:
1. of course love hina isnt a perfect 10. i just put that because it was the first japanese anime that i started watching and happened to fall in love with it. (my own selfish reason)

we have our own selfish reasons and preferences too. so you shouldn't tell people not to give it a perfect 10.

doeman87 said:
2. yea lucky star is over rated, it isnt the best either. in my opinion, the only anime that actually lives up to its potential is death note (on ep 26).

not really. death note anime is overhyped imo. and the animation is so inconsistent that it ticked me off too much.

doeman87 said:
3. the concert scene was just ONE SCENE out of the 14 episodes. the whole show wasnt that nicely animated.

Kyo Ani is one of the best animation studios out there, and this is where they started to stand out. SHnY's animation is one of the best out there. The way they animated episode 00 (The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru) was pure genius.

doeman87 said:
4. where can i read the light novel?? i thought only mangas were available to dl.

use google. type "suzumiya haruhi novel". sheesh.
Aug 13, 2007 6:05 AM

Aug 2007
shiro-chan said:
we have our own selfish reasons and preferences too. so you shouldn't tell people not to give it a perfect 10.

fine fine! people can put perfect 10's. idc.. but all "selfish reasons" aside, this anime is worth a 7.... 8/10 at most.
done
Aug 13, 2007 6:11 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lol, you guys don't get it. It's being repeated and repeated but no one's willing to listen. You have your reasons for rating your anime the way you want, and so do others. No matter what, you'll have to accept it. (:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 13, 2007 6:25 AM

Aug 2007
the world of anime be a harsh one indeed...
Aug 13, 2007 2:09 PM
Aug 2007
There's a difference between you not liking it, and it being over rated.
Aug 13, 2007 4:27 PM

Aug 2007
Wait, you're actually trying to say that things are "better" on an objective scale?

No. Nothing is intrinsically "better" on an objective level. How "Good" any given piece of entertainment is, is an entirely subjective perception, and entirely dependent on what each individual person gets out of it. All anyone can do with a thread like this is try to explain why thing X appealed to them or not.
Aug 13, 2007 6:17 PM

Jun 2007
Hmm.. I just read what Windy posted that Drac posted..
"Anonymous 07/12/07(Thu)15:55 No. 4509122" said:
Lucky Star is mostly popular with older boys, roughly between the ages of 16~24 years of age (known as 'otaku'). It's popular for a variety of reasons, the first of which is that the designs are very cute, conveying a friendly atmosphere devoid of personal fears and the like, essentially a paradise of no worries. At the same time, though, that is, underneath the girl's clothing, are very developed bodies capable of 'mature' things boys crave - effectively it's the best of both worlds for these otaku.

But what about content? Otakus aren't know for being social - they love 'mature' acts with girls but have no idea about how they actually work or how to interact with girls. Lucky Star offers those boys and opportunity to observe girls in their natural habitat, rendering this a 'documentary anime' - demystifies the stereotypes of girls by showing they have interests, thoughts and feelings as well, that they exist as humans and that their sole purpose on this world is not for 'mature' acts.

That is not to say they are not aware of their biological capabilities - indeed, during many parts of the show they joke about their anatomy, and no doubt they also think about boys in the same ways boys think about them.

=O although, I thought it more of the Seinfeld of Anime as they tend to question a lot of everyday things.

"Anonymous 07/12/07(Thu)15:59 No. 4509124" said:
this made me feel like a loser :(

My thoughts exactly =(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to Haruhi -

The reason The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is so popular is because of

Aug 13, 2007 7:03 PM

Apr 2007
You lose when you start taking anything said on /a/ seriously.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2007 1:10 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Neverender said:

*4chan

Fixed it for ya.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 14, 2007 8:56 PM

May 2007
doeman87 said:
Krelian said:

yea, that concert scene was raw, and it IS supposed to be a funny anime but, if your lookin for something funny, you should watch Seto no Hanayome. i'm on the 8th ep and its one of the funniest anime's i've evar seen. but who knows, we all got diff tastes.

btw, i dont know why people like yuki, or for the record, *silent like characters*. they just seem............meh.......

Everyone has their own opinions about things. You say 7/10... that's what you think. I think it's a 10/10. People have different likes and dislikes. I don't consider this show simply to be comedy. It has other elements to it that others may see and you do not. If you're really into something you notice things that others won't. And there will always be somewhat differing perspectives on things we see. It's what makes us individuals. Some are just more similar than others.
Aug 14, 2007 9:01 PM

May 2007
cyruz said:
Neverender said:

*4chan

Fixed it for ya.

LMAO
Aug 14, 2007 9:03 PM

May 2007
shiro-chan said:
doeman87 said:

doeman87 said:

not really. death note anime is overhyped imo. and the animation is so inconsistent that it ticked me off too much.

doeman87 said:

Kyo Ani is one of the best animation studios out there, and this is where they started to stand out. SHnY's animation is one of the best out there. The way they animated episode 00 (The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru) was pure genius.

doeman87 said:

use google. type "suzumiya haruhi novel". sheesh.

Ah... very mature and even keel response... until the end.

Three posts in a row... I know this could all be one post, but I do what I want to do... until Xinil and the other mods say something.
Aug 15, 2007 8:03 AM

Mar 2005
lol mild_even, ZOMG don't do it >_>
Aug 15, 2007 11:26 PM

Apr 2007
cyruz said:
Neverender said:

*4chan

Fixed it for ya.

Whatever works.
Aug 15, 2007 11:31 PM

Mar 2007

cyruz said:
Neverender said:

*4chan

Fixed it for ya.

so true. all they do there is bash and call Yuki a s***.

Oct 8, 2007 12:57 PM

Sep 2007
The reason why SHnY is so great.... well, it just oozes style.

At least for me, all that^ and more, is why it's a 10/10
Oct 13, 2007 3:25 PM

Sep 2007
I think it is simply a love or hate anime, like lucky star, i love SHnY but hate lucky star, why? I dont know=/
only thing I dont like in SHnY is the fanservice and ecchi. Perfect without that.
Oct 13, 2007 6:49 PM

Jan 2007
It does seem to be a love or hate sort of series for most people - very strong feelings involved, one way or the other.

Me...I started watching it because Crispin Freeman voices Kyon in the dub. Otherwise I doubt I ever would have picked it up, or kept watching past the first ep or two.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.