3It was OK
5.8%
2Disliked it
2.2%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.5
274 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 3, 2008 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pireze has a release with good sub work. Episode 1 was released a few hours ago. Looks very good, has a very mature look to it like ghost in the shell but the characters feel like they are less two dimensional.
Aug 3, 2008 6:22 PM

Apr 2008
Was very interesting. Definitely hoping that more will be released soonish.
Aug 3, 2008 6:24 PM
Jul 2018
episodes seemed very short. but, leaves for a lot of development. five ep's left.
Aug 4, 2008 4:24 AM

Apr 2007
This was really good. Great in fact. If this was just a one episode thing, it still would have worked out, but we're getting 6 episodes. Totally awesome.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2008 12:53 PM

May 2008
I liked it outside of the nausea inducing camera movements. I know that's nothing new for Yasuhiro Yoshiura and Studio Rikka, but this got on my nerves much more than it did in Pale Cocoon. The plot thus far is a bit too typical sci-fi for me as well, especially since there's plenty of material out there like this, but I'm willing to stick with it in hopes that the subject might be explored from a different (or several inflicted with Parkinson's...) angle.
Aug 4, 2008 9:32 PM

Nov 2007
Uhm.... is it only 15 minutes?

I loved it; the music, the animation, a beautiful atmosphere, all of it was great. I like the concept, I'm interested to see where it goes with it. However as Absolute_Steve pointed out, it does seem like the typical sci fi story. Hopefully that will change with the next ep.
DanishAug 4, 2008 9:45 PM
Aug 5, 2008 6:21 AM

Dec 2007
This seems really interesting to me. I've seen the themes in countless scifi novels, but still, I think this could turn out to be a nice re-imagining of similar themes. I really love the music and camera directing. So far, it's exceptionally well done. For that, I can condone the lack of original thematic structure.
Aug 5, 2008 9:50 AM
Sep 2007
awesomeness. I don't mind the lack of originality at all. it was extremely well done and that's enough. 9/10 so far.
Aug 5, 2008 8:12 PM

Mar 2008
Very good first episode I wonder when the next one will be released
Aug 5, 2008 11:48 PM

Mar 2008
For not having heard anything about this show I really liked it. The animation was great and it has a cool concept. I'll be looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 6, 2008 8:13 AM

Jan 2008
I had been waiting for this for a while now, though to be honest I had completely forgotten about it. Anyway, from the maker of Pale Cocoon I would expect no less from what seems to be a great little series in the making. I'm a little bit confused as to why it will be 6 fifteen minute episodes instead of one hour an a half movie, but I guess that has to do with pacing. Well, it looks spectacular and the concept seems strong. Really looking forward to the rest, hopefully it won't be that long of a wait.
Aug 6, 2008 11:08 AM
Nov 2007
I really like it concept, although the way the director direct from the characters pan of view sometime confuse me.

The introducing of Akiko was funny, cause she speak so fast. But when she was outside the cafe, I was shocked learning her identity when the camera pan up reveal her true identity suddenly.

I wish it is longer, and I wan more.
Aug 7, 2008 2:41 PM

Jun 2007
Hmm, interesting. I love the animation, and I liked Akiko (although I'll admit that I guessed what she was from the beginning). Good start.
Aug 8, 2008 12:26 PM

Apr 2007
awesome. animation was great and the art style was pretty interesting. can't wait for moar.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Aug 8, 2008 5:50 PM

Nov 2007
Awesome animation. Interesting story. Great cast, with the likes of Fukuyama Jun, Tanaka Rie and Nogami Yukana.

All in all, a great first episode.

I take icon requests.
Aug 9, 2008 12:58 PM

Feb 2008
aaah the old human vs robot story line. i thought it was very interesting indeed. looking forward to see how the rest of if develops.
Aug 10, 2008 10:03 AM

Feb 2008
Very interesting. Looking forward for the next episode.
Aug 11, 2008 7:03 PM

Jul 2006
Very Interesting story indeed...watched it without having a single clue what it was and it turned out to be better than a lot of whats currently airing. I wish it was longer and would have more eps, though...short ONAs/OVAs tend to turn out better than most series.
Aug 15, 2008 8:27 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Really good episode with an already known but still highly interesting topic. The conversations were fun to follow so I enjoyed the episode a lot. Even though it was easy to figure out that Akiko would be an android too. Looking forward to more. Too bad it's only a short ONA.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 15, 2008 3:56 PM

Aug 2007
Even though the topic is definitely an overused one, Eve no Jikan presents it in a way unlike anything I've seen so far. Most of the time, I just see robots completely disobeying their "masters," revolting to the point of aggression. Here, though, they continue with their slave-like human-determined purpose while simply getting away from the daily routine when they have the time.

This is easily my favorite ONA already. Can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 18, 2008 2:05 AM

Apr 2007
I found it to be quite interesting, but what I really liked was how on occasion you'd see things from a character's point of view (in the literal sense of course). I don't think I've seen that done in such abundance, so I was pretty fascinated with the director's particular approach with it.
Aug 22, 2008 10:50 AM

Jul 2007
omfg
i totally messed up the release date i missed it till now O_O
and i was sooo waiting for this....
well at least i dont have to w8 that long for the next episodes like you other guys ;-)

dl it right now

///caaaaant wait!!!!////
Sep 1, 2008 6:51 AM

Feb 2008
Akiko's situation was predictable but I still enjoyed this very much. The cast was great, I didn't even recognize Lelouch and the animation was beautiful. The Battlestar Galactica camera moves were a bit too much though...
Sep 1, 2008 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
lol, battle star - Well. It's kind of depressing when you think about it, if everyone in that diner was a robot, then, where exactly is the twist in the series for the plot. i mean, it's kind of crazy thinking that some house appliance would mimic a human to the point of merely blending in.
Sep 2, 2008 10:10 AM

Aug 2007
Corrupt_Id said:

I loved it; the music, the animation, a beautiful atmosphere, all of it was great. I like the concept, I'm interested to see where it goes with it. However as Absolute_Steve pointed out, it does seem like the typical sci fi story. Hopefully that will change with the next ep.
Sep 2, 2008 4:12 PM

Oct 2007
It was interesting, to say the least. Nothing special really, but interesting.

Sep 2, 2008 6:34 PM

Mar 2008
Very good first episode. Really got me interested. Kind of reminded me of I, Robot at first lol.
Sep 2, 2008 10:15 PM

Apr 2008
I really liked how they brought Asimov's 3 laws of Robotics into this anime series. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one quite a bit. As many have already pointed out, the atmosphere is great.

The interesting thing is that unlike many other android sci-fi stories, which seem to center around an android rebellion of some sort, this one seems to be more about seeing things from their point of view. In the spirit of the 3 laws, a robot is INCAPABLE of either injuring or disobeying a human. This, however, does not prevent them from being individuals and having a point of view.

Like I said, I think this is going to be quite enjoyable.
Sep 3, 2008 1:07 PM

Sep 2007
Very interesting little jig, being 15 minutes was very disappointing. I was just getting into it and then it was already over! The camera effect was god awful though, I felt like I was going to throw up every time it moved.

Still, looking forward to more; it'd be nice if this was more than just six.

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Sep 6, 2008 2:00 PM

May 2008
This was a really cool anime i wanna see some more
Sep 10, 2008 2:09 AM

Jun 2008
Interesting start, I hope they will keep up their good work. One of the best ONA series I've seen up till now (except The Diary of Tortov Roddle). This story would have deserved to be a TV series =/
Sep 10, 2008 12:24 PM

Sep 2007
Really enjoyed it! And unlike some of you folks, i even liked the shakey camera style. It worked for me. The animation was stunning. As was the story; that, to be perfectly honest, i didnt quite get the end of it straight away, but i think i understand it now hahah.

Very much looking forward to the next installment.
Sep 14, 2008 3:36 AM
Mar 2008
Can't wait for the next episode
Sep 18, 2008 11:09 AM
May 2008
HOLY SMOKES. A friend told me about this series and now I understand why he tried to strangle me for each day I blinked and said "Oh, that one - I forgot to watch.". This is the second ONA I've ever seen, and somehow I'm slowly coming to enjoy this type of anime more - free reign for imagination and ideas.
Concerning this episode, I must say that I absolutely adored the picture in the ending with the two persons, one human, one android, and the arrow saying 'resembles' between them. It really mindfucked me when they flipped the arrow. I'm stuck, hooked and will not leave the sinking ship anymore. o.o;;;
Sep 23, 2008 8:50 PM
Feb 2008
I also like the shakey camera movements, animation, and plot.

You can definitely feel why the main character is so uptight (cmon, these are androids and they are wanting to act like humans? its a scary thought if it actually happened)

i would befriend my android though.

and the main character started blushing in the cafe? isnt that hypocritical towards his views?
Sep 24, 2008 12:00 AM

Jun 2007
kimmiechan said:
I really liked how they brought Asimov's 3 laws of Robotics into this anime series. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one quite a bit. As many have already pointed out, the atmosphere is great.

The interesting thing is that unlike many other android sci-fi stories, which seem to center around an android rebellion of some sort, this one seems to be more about seeing things from their point of view. In the spirit of the 3 laws, a robot is INCAPABLE of either injuring or disobeying a human. This, however, does not prevent them from being individuals and having a point of view.

Like I said, I think this is going to be quite enjoyable.

I agree, with most shows like this the robot or androids either go out of control and attack people or they fall in love with their master and start disobeying rules. This show seems to limit those two options which makes it feel more realistic. I'm sure at some point the usual might happen but I'm crossing my fingers that they keep it like this.

I found this episode really entertaining.
Sep 24, 2008 9:33 PM

Nov 2007
Beautiful animation! It's just amazing. When I first started watching I wasn't sure because it seemed a little bit overdone, but this sure took me by surprise, it's done in such an original way.
Sep 25, 2008 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
first of all... i didn't recognize lulu's seiyu, jun fukuyama, doing the voice of that guy 0_o
and the story's quite unique, same as the animation. im beginning to love the idea of androids acting like humans in a special place xD but one episode per 2 months is still quite a bummer >.>

Maltos said:
The animation was stunning.

it has to be since it comes only once every two months! ><
Sep 25, 2008 5:25 PM
Jun 2008
a very interesting concept....which is both fascinating and intriguing.
cant wait till next ep
dam the stupid 2 month wait >:
oh well, spose it builds some form of anticipation xD;
Sep 26, 2008 10:30 AM

May 2008
Holy wow this is amazing.

I got all sorts of feelings mixing up in here.
First, this whole "robot-holic" thing reminds of the otaku stigma thing.
And so then with that it builds a conflict. Not wanting to appear what a part of what is basically a modern version of a robot otaku, and considered a growing societal problem much as hikikomori is considered a societal problem today. And on the other side, learning that to not be this way, is cruel to robots.

So you either get to be an otaku, or a robot hater.
It's so sad and melancholic, but at yet it's so alluring story-wise.
I'm absolutely addicted to this situation and story saddening as it may be.
Because it gives a really very personal interaction to the whole human robot equality struggle.

And gosh this is just too darn slow coming for such an amazing show.
I could go for some more of this. Like right now.
In fact I just about feel like going back and watching this several times again.
That energetic girl Akiko, the storekeeper Nagi, the Rikuo's maid Sammy, there's a lot to go back and meditate on.

In fact, before posting this message, I just did.
I think I've fallen in love with Akiko, and I don't care if it makes me a robot-holic.;_;
ukonkiviSep 26, 2008 10:42 AM

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 28, 2008 8:57 AM

Jan 2008
This was really interesting and the animation was wonderful! I can't wait to see more!
Oct 1, 2008 3:22 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
I think it's interesting nobody's mentioned Yashiro Yoshiura's earlier short "Aquatic Language". The two have striking similarities. I suspect this cafe is based on a real place because the cafes in both animes are have tall ceilings, lofted levels, and ceiling fans, along with round tables.

Oct 1, 2008 11:21 PM

May 2007
It certainly passed my expectations. I just watched it because I didn't have time for a 20 min episode. Never thought it'd be this good. We need more than 6x15mins. Only thing it lacked was originality. I understand the android part, but that Rule 1 is a complete ripoff of I, Robot.

9/10
Oct 3, 2008 6:07 PM

May 2008
Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics were massively influential, it's only to be expected. At this point it would be more unrealistic not to. Considering these laws are almost certain to be applied in the future.
Serial Experiments Lain took massive influence from the book Cyberia by Douglas Rushkoff. Which I think only makes it better.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 5, 2008 12:56 PM

Oct 2007
seems interesting enough for me to continue
Oct 9, 2008 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
I found this OVA... sorry ONA (i get them mixed up lol :D) out of pure luck and i must say it's pretty interesting. Animation quality is great too. Looking forward to more.
Oct 9, 2008 11:35 PM

Sep 2008
I actually really liked it... I thought the story would be overdone and typical of animes with a similar theme, but it was good.... I thought akiko was going to be one though....
I want to know more an see more episodes asap.
Oct 10, 2008 4:58 AM

Jan 2008
It seems very interesting, the androids act like humans when in the cafe? Wow...
Oct 25, 2008 11:35 AM

Jun 2008
great animation and great start it looks interesting
Nov 1, 2008 1:38 AM

Feb 2008
Liked it. *Thumbs up* ^^
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2009

203 by Randomega »»
Dec 15, 2023 9:08 AM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Canopus - Dec 2, 2008

77 by Randomega »»
Dec 15, 2023 6:52 AM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nx6 - Oct 2, 2008

84 by FanthyLord »»
Jul 2, 2023 7:47 PM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Canopus - Jul 2, 2009

67 by removed-user »»
Feb 17, 2023 9:37 AM

Poll: » Eve no Jikan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KillthisAccount - May 2, 2009

94 by removed-user »»
Feb 17, 2023 9:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.