Forum Settings
Forums

PC's, gadgets, tech trinkets - all about them here!

New
Nov 13, 2011 1:54 AM

Oct 2011
So yesterday Catpaw tossed the idea for such a thread after a little talk about PC hardware and video playback in the "what are you watching now" thread, so I've decided to go ahead and create it.

This thread will be here for us talk about our current PC's/hardware, tricks to make it work better, tech help, PC build requests (as in, specs! Unless you live near me that is, in that case I can build it physically just fine! I've been building PC's since I was 16), tablets, cellphones, etc etc etc.

Catpaw mentioned yesterday that we should talk about our "battlestations" or something like that, heheh. Well, here they are:

My gaming/decoding PC:

CPU: Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 4.1ghz (Mugen II REV.B cooler, Push-Pull configuration, Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, 1.450vcore)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6850 HD
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1333 RAM
Storage: 1x80GB Intel SSD

Sound, network - onboard stuff

My Parents' PC/My NAS/HTPC

CPU: Athlon II x3 445 @ 3.1ghz (runs pretty cool using the Phenom x4 stock cooler!)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 6670 HD
RAM: 2x2GB Gskill DDR3 1333 RAM
Storage: 1x80GB HDD (from oooooold PC), 2x2TB HDD's in Raid 1

My Laptop
(slightly upgraded Acer 5745G)
CPU: Core i7 740qm
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 420m
RAM: 3x2GB Samsung DDR3 1333 RAM
Storage: 1x500GB HDD

I hope that you like the thread and don't mind the initiative, it's all for usefulness and good fun =D
xen20Nov 13, 2011 2:04 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 13, 2011 7:46 AM

Sep 2009
Haha well done in opening the thread! My turn now i guess :)
About "battlestations": sometimes on PC forums there's a thread where people post their creations, you see triple widescreens and neon-lighted, liquid-cooled cases. If someone is a fan of the genre, or just wants to show us the place where he/she writes from, please go ahead ^^ (it's not necessary to include anything besides the actual pc/notebook/etc).

Main pc:
CPU: intel core I5 660 3.33GHz 4Mb
Motherboard: gigabyte p55A-UD3
GPU: zotac GTX456 1Gb GDDR5
RAM: patriot ddr3 4Gb (2x2Gb) 1600 VI
Storage: 3x seagate 500Gb barracuda 16Mb (+1 USB 3.0 verbatim 1Tb external)
Tablet: Wacom Bamboo fun medium (2010 model)
Sound: 2x Sony ss-rx88 (80W)

I kept my older pc with winxp just to play Higurashi Daybreak so i have 2 on my desk now since an year or so. I don't remember the specifics, but it's nothing noteworthy xD
My next buy will probably be another 2 external HD's like the one i already have.

@xen20: great machines, even your laptop has an i7! *_*
CatpawNov 13, 2011 7:54 AM
Megpoid-CowardlyMontblancsigsecond05defs
Art by: akka
Nov 13, 2011 8:37 AM

Oct 2011
@Catpaw:
Thanks! That laptop was initially a straight-up desktop fill-in, which is why I opted for something with an i7 and *decent* discrete graphics and not something more appropriate, like a Pentium based lappy w/integrated graphics. Intel's engineering is truly genius sometimes, because it packs a huge punch, not something that you'd expect from a laptop. The PC that preceded it was a Pentium 4, so it was an enormous leap forward ^_^

Yours is a nice set-up. Socket 1156, is it? You have a nice CPU. At stock, despite being a hyperthreaded dual-core, it performs quite closely behind my Phenom, a true quad.

That NAS box actually dual-boots XP and W7, just for convenience's sake. What's Higurashi Daybreak?

I don't dabble in that case mod/water cooling/triple monitor business though. It's either too expensive or has limited uses. My own monitor is a 24" ASUS VE248H, big enough and great enough (got it rahter cheap as well)
xen20Nov 13, 2011 8:40 AM
Nov 13, 2011 1:42 PM

Sep 2009
Thanks! Uhm, to be honest i don't know anyhing about sockets :( i just amateurishly read about components and tinker with programs, but i'm no good at assembling pc's from scratch.

Higurashi Daybreak is a doujin shooting game based on the Higurashi franchise. It's entirely 2vs2 (with AI ally and opponents for the storymode) similar to the Gundam ones because the visual is locked on the enemy. The game has some problems running on the latest machines for processors issues, there is a solution that should work but involves modifying some settings of win7 i'm not familiar with, so i just go with the old pc to be sure : )

Haha i'm not into "tuning" too, but i like watching those strange machines ^^
Forgot to add, my monitor is a 19" Hanns g 1280x1024. I don't like 16:9 at all, but is difficult to find 4:3 nowadays, this was one of the last in the shop ç_ç
Nov 14, 2011 12:54 PM

Oct 2011
Heh. Myself, I can't go back to 4:3 after so many years of 16:9. I love 16:9!
If you'll ever need to upgrade your CPU... just remember the name: i5 750. That's a truly great CPU.
Nov 14, 2011 1:24 PM

Aug 2010
I have replaced the sticker of the laptop details with Moomin stickers so I don't have any clue about my laptop. But I know it's Acer! I also have Hyundai's 22" screen attached to it + loudspeakers from 90's.

Nov 14, 2011 1:29 PM

Oct 2011
Lumikki said:
I have replaced the sticker of the laptop details with Moomin stickers so I don't have any clue about my laptop. But I know it's Acer! I also have Hyundai's 22" screen attached to it + loudspeakers from 90's.

If you ever need the specs (unlikely, since a laptop is unfriendly to upgrades), use speccy.
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

I also run my laptop with my screen when at home.
My main PC, I never turn on unless I'm gonna game. It's an incredible electricity hog thanks to that OC.
Nov 14, 2011 1:37 PM

Aug 2010
Thanks!

I got:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Pentium T4300 @ 2.10GHz 46 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
4,00 Gt Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Acer JV50 (U2E1) 57 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
N220W D-sub (1440x900@75Hz)
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-22ZAT0 (SATA) 43 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633B
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Nov 14, 2011 1:43 PM

Oct 2011
It's pretty nice. If I were buying one today, that'd be the direction I'd go in.

My own specs sticker doesn't reflect my PC completely either :P
Nov 14, 2011 2:52 PM

Sep 2009
@xen20: thanks for the advice on the i5. I didn't buy anything more powerful because they were too expensive :)
I only have one sticker on my pc, guess they forgot the others... or most probably they're in the box and i didn't bother to search xD
Nov 14, 2011 2:58 PM

Aug 2009
Mine:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz 61 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0C234M (U2E1) 51 °C
Graphics
Οθόνη PnP γενικής χρήσης (1366x768@59Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (Dell) 52 °C
Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BJKT-75F4T0 ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633C ATA Device
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Nov 15, 2011 12:02 AM

Oct 2011
Catpaw said:
@xen20: thanks for the advice on the i5. I didn't buy anything more powerful because they were too expensive :)
I only have one sticker on my pc, guess they forgot the others... or most probably they're in the box and i didn't bother to search xD

Sadly, "too expensive" is the general rule with Intel CPU's. Every time I try to assemble an Intel based machine versus an AMD based equivalent, up to a certain point, AMD always ends up either the same price and better, or cheaper and better. Going high-end though, Intel simply outclasses AMD these days. My initial PC was going to be i5-2500k based, but 1) it's too expensive and 2) my Phenom is still damn powerful.

My first two PC's also had their stickers forgotten. Look around =D

@Justice: Update to W7 Service Pack 1. It optimizes the OS and makes it more secure.
Nov 15, 2011 12:11 AM

Feb 2009
weee ill join tho i use to care about building powerful machines...then i did build a powerful machine and never used it for gaming, so i stopped caring lol. but i do like having a laptop thats nice since its all i use.

# Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor 2.0 GHz (2.9 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB L3 Cache
# Configured with 6GB DDR3 1333MHz (max 8GB)
# 640GB (7200 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive with TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor,Blu-ray Disc read-only disc drive
# 18.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT display, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

^thats my laptop^ and its the first and last toshiba i will buy
Nov 15, 2011 5:32 AM

Aug 2009
@xen
Thanks! I'll make sure to do that. Didn't know I didn't already have SP1. I want to call my pc technician to do some stuff to my laptop so I'll tell him about that too.
I got also worried about the temp of my CPU.. it was over 60 degrees...
should I worry or not? I don't use an external cooling system..
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Nov 15, 2011 6:15 AM

Oct 2011
My lappy CPU goes to a mighty 87c under load. I don't know how high yours manages to climb, but Intel CPU's are generally quite resistant to heat. 60c is absolutely nothing to worry about. People run several desktop Intel CPU's at a 78-80c load, so you're okay. For reference, here's how my laptop compares (not load, idle ATM)

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz 52 °C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Acer ZR7 (CPU) 53 °C
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0 (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT31N
Audio

@Corsair: I hear ya. When fixing laptops, most of the ones I encounter are either HP or Toshiba. Nice specs though.
Nov 15, 2011 8:25 AM

Aug 2010
I just bought the cheapest laptop I could get from the christmas sales couple of years ago. I have been satisfied so far, so soft to use and it has a full keyboard.

xen, your computer seems to be quite similar to mine, but what is Windows Ultimate? Never heard of that.

Nov 15, 2011 8:29 AM

Oct 2011
It's the same as W7 Home Premium, plus a couple of nifty features like the ability to run a virtual winxp machine inside win7 and switchable interface languages. I run mine in French since I'm studying it right now.
Nov 15, 2011 8:44 AM

Aug 2010
Interesting :D what if your computer tilts and starts yelling something in French and you don't understand a shit :'D

My laptop's language is Finnish AND Saami. Yes, my laptop is so genius bc it can handle two different languages in the same time XD But I have also Russian (RuSlav) and Norwegian/Danish keyboard.

Nov 15, 2011 8:52 AM

Oct 2011
I'm beyond the point of not understanding shit, luckily... so it can bring... it. I never dropped it though, just tried to hit my mom's cat with it after it decided to jump on a motherboard from a computer that I was assembling.

Funnily enough, there's no Russian on my laptop KB, even with it being my mother tongue.
Nov 15, 2011 9:21 AM
Apr 2009
I only have a 7 year old laptop that I do all my crap off of. 1gb of ram, I don't remember or care about all the other specs. Suffice to say, it was pretty nice at the time, but now it is amazing I can even work off of it. Got it running Windows 7. It looks like a war veteran, it has deep gouges in the plastic case, the sound bar is actually rusting (product of my time in Japan, stupid rainy season), the touchpad is worn down enough that the middle part doesn't really work anymore, the lcd has dozens of dead or stuck pixels. I think I need a new computer.... "\ Oh well, I will get around to it.
Nov 15, 2011 10:05 AM

Feb 2009
cant wait to run diablo 3 on my laptop ;)
Nov 16, 2011 9:13 AM

Oct 2011
And I can't wait to play it on my desktop... heh.

@omni:
It only proves how adaptive people and win7 are =D
Nov 17, 2011 12:05 AM

Feb 2009
if i ever do build another desktop is water cooling really worth the effort or not?
Nov 17, 2011 1:04 AM

Jul 2010
Corsair857 said:
if i ever do build another desktop is water cooling really worth the effort or not?

It depends:
Are you going to overclock it a lot? Then yes.
Do you want it to be quite powerful, yet very quite? Then yes.
Otherwise I don't think you'll need it

As for my desktop:
-CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 + Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro rev. 2
-RAM: 4GB (2x2) DD3 1333Mhz
-GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X
-Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
-Storage: 500GB+1TB HDD 7200rpm
-Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2311H (IPS, 23", 1920x1080)
-Audio: Some very cheap 5.1 speakers
Nov 17, 2011 2:03 AM

Sep 2009
@Corsair857: I don't think so. Just like xen20 said in the other thread "No app today can really load a quad to its fullest." so i think overclocking is not worth it.
If you are just going to play games, then sped the additional money on a better processor/vga and a good fan if you feel like it. I personally would never risk losing my whole pc for a liquid leakage.
Nov 17, 2011 3:40 AM

Oct 2011
Corsair857 said:

Only for extreme overclocking efforts. Notice - my CPU is overclocked by 700mhz and by 0.070 vcore, but my cooler is an air cooler, because 4.1ghz is just about as far as a Phenom II will go most of the time without huge voltage additions. (but my cooler is really huge ;) )

Generally, it's too much hassle for gains too insignificant. Phenom II's don't really need it because air's enough, and sandybridge i5's and i7's are extremely powerful out of the box, powerful enough for their stock coolers to deal with them. The 2500k and 2600k overclock like monsters however, bordering 5ghz very frequently. If you're getting serious with one of those, water cooling could be a big help. I've installed the Corsair H70 for several people, and it's a wonderful system.

@Catpaw: I did say that no app really loads a quad to its fullest today (unless it's one that uses all the power it can get, like video decoding and folding @ home ), HOWEVER, overclocking helps with programs that take frequency over cores and can't utilize all 4 or all 6. The almost sole reason my CPU is overclocked is complex emulators, like PCSX2 and Dolphin. They both can't use more than two cores, and both benefit from frequency far more than from cores. At stock, I can run MOST PS2 games at the needed 60fps, but some stutter at 55. At 4.1, everything is 60fps.

Overclocking should ONLY be done on demand. Not for pretty numbers or gains in synthetic tests. It's not really CPU volatile as long as it's well cooled and within normal voltage ranges, but it's a strain on the motherboard and power supply nonetheless. Not to mention that electricity consumption rises heavily.

TL;DR: Overclocking is fine on air but don't do it unless absolutely needed
xen20Nov 17, 2011 3:44 AM
Nov 17, 2011 6:00 AM

Feb 2009
Tech talk is it.

My desktop is a collection of parts at least 3 years old as tech goes. Nothing special, nothing too thrilling in gamer terms. The dvd burner can outsmart damn near any anti copy protection though. It's a Pioneer.

I have an Asus laptop and it's 2010 technology. It will run most games, but I don't consider it a gaming rig.
The wife has my Gateway laptop which is basically a 2009 tech item. It's nothing to whine about.
The son has a more gamer rig, not much better than my desktop though, but he has put more effort into the video card. He sits in front of a couple of 22-23 inch wide screens. Typical teenager online gamer.

My desktop is special for the 6 TB of hard drive storage. Which I use to contain disk image files of hundreds of dvds of feature films, documentaries and a shitload of anime.

I don't share the attitude that a desktop is always superior toa a laptop, or better than a laptop. It depends on how good both are, and my laptop is simply more powerful. Plus it is a laptop so I can pick it up and go. Not to mention, when you experience your first black out and your laptop simply doesn't care, because having a few hours of power in the battery is hard to beat.

But it isn't really my hardware that makes the difference in my life, it's that I have a very tech savvy buddy that ensured I dumped Bell Canada and Cogeco cable. I use Teksavvy for ISP and phone service and I pay less than half what a Bell sheeple customer does and I get 300g of bandwidth not Bel Canada's crappy 60 or Cable's supposedly great 150.
It's nice having the RIGHT modem running the RIGHT firmware and not being one of the people out there that needs to care who is or is not throttling the internet, as it doesn't happen to me.

I have an Astraweb account that is apparently free, as those nutjobs don't seem to understand I haven't paid them in over a year from that dead credit card. And neither I nor my buddy (we share it) have any desire to correct their oblivious stupidity.

I have access to superior newsgroups options that ensure I CAN get anything I want on the internet so long as I actually need and want it.

My buddy provides the Crunchyroll access (seeing as I provided the newsgroup account), and I have started using an unblocked Netflix service which has rendered cable a waste of cash.

Hardware is a waste if you have no way to really use it.

I like that I am able to run Windows 7 Ultimate (simply because I wanted to). It's funny my laptop is actually legit and it is the only OS in the house that is fully up-datable, and yet it it the only OS that isn't fully functional. Frankly I wish MS would make just one OS version. And if they think I am paying out 350 some bucks for a new flavour every 4 years they are fucking crazy. Sorry Bill, if you think your god damned company is going to regularly milk me for cash, just so you can give it away by the millions just so you can pretend to be a great humanitarian, think again. How about releasing an OS I can rely on, just one version, and for the price of a video game at most.
Otherwise, I will pay for it ONLY when I buy hardware with it already on it.

My next purchase is going to be a tablet.
You might hear people saying 'why do I need a tablet'. Same reason every dumb ass needs a cell phone. I don't have a cell phone for a reason. I have zero need to have meaningless phone calls while walking down the damned street. I don't want to hear from my friends when they are bored and want to talk about shit I don't feel like listening too. I don't need to know you are 30 seconds away from my door when you are coming to visit.
But I want to be able to walk to Tim Horton's, and be able to drink a hot chocolate, and maybe watch some video or read a book if it pleases me. Maybe play a bit of a game for a few minutes. Or get a quick burst of internet if a connection is possible. I don't need the damned camera though.
It will be handy to have it to display game book pages at my role gaming sessions.
It will be handy to use it to transport images of family from Facebook to show my has no internet mother. Easier than using my laptop.
I will be able to use it to transport TV shows as well to my mother's place (again easier than the laptop).

It's just the latest device, the latest tech toy, they are not reeeeeally cheap even at 200 bucks for the 7 inch doodads with limited functionality. But if you have enough uses for one, it's not dumb to get one. Not any dumber than a cell phone pretending to be a book reader and hand held game device.

I have a Nintendo DSi XL,and it is possible it is less than a great item (for me personally). I always have it present it seems, rarely really use it much. It's handy that thanks to the flashcart I have (an Acecard 2i) I can run downloaded Nintendo DS games on it ie every damned game they have ever made for the DS (and the thing costs like 10 bucks eh). Not that more than half the game ever made were ever worth having even for free.

My son is a total PC gamer, so my PS likely will take till hell freezes over to ever get any real wear on it. But it makes a good video hub for between the computers of the house and the TV. It's my portal for Netflix videos.
The lad is something of a Starcraft 2 demon, and he really doesn't play many games, so he's been very light on the parents cash flow these last few years. I have it lucky and I know it. He can be made happy by getting him a few new shirts or a new hody or two occasionally.

I wish he would hurry up and get the itch to get a car, so he had a need to need a job. Then he could also be available for giving me a lift around town too :)
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Nov 17, 2011 9:32 AM

Jul 2010
xen20 said:
Corsair857 said:

Only for extreme overclocking efforts.

Am I the only one who cares about the loudness?

One of my friends has a 2600k and an HD6990, they should be quite loud, but thank to liquid cooling his pc in full load is as quite as mine in idle.

Every time I changed my pc it got louder than it's predecessor, if this trend keep up I'll have to resort to liquid cooling too in a few years.
Nov 17, 2011 12:43 PM

Sep 2009
@xen20: you sure have a point, i didn't think about programs that can only use a limited number of cores. I never overclocked anything, i care too much for the machine and i don't want to see it die for one of my likely stupid mistakes xD

@Sukunai: luckily here no provider limits total monthly bandwidth, probably because the people that really download much are a few. I know quite a lot of people and i'm the one who downloads the most, you can see here how much anime i watch so you know it's not that much, and i don't download almost anything else :)

I am another of those total pc gamers, i simply can't understand how people can control a fps or even worse an rts without keyboard. I can't do anything without a keyboard and a mouse, that's why i don't like consoles, tablets and phones. I lack the... manual coordination? Lol.

@LazYSlackeR: my pc does barely make a sound, i have difficulty in hearing it. My fridge is more noisy xD i remember having noise issues with my previous pc's, but i can guarantee everything will be solved with a single good fan, 2 if you feel like spending a lot ;) of course it also depends on what are you doing with what hardware, if the pc is nice it doesn't make much noise even if you play games with max detail.
I remember another thing about Starcraft: when i bought it months ago, it set the cpu/vga "on fire" if you stopped for a couple of minutes in the "choose match" screens. If you started playing the actual game, the fan will gradually go more and more silent. Lately the issue has been fixed with a patch, so now i don't have to minimize the game every time i have to go to the toilet or make a tea.
All of this to say: sometimes it's the program/graphic engine's fault, memory leaks and stuff lke that can make even uber pc's howl.
Nov 17, 2011 9:39 PM

Jul 2010
Catpaw said:
@LazYSlackeR: my pc does barely make a sound, i have difficulty in hearing it. My fridge is more noisy xD i remember having noise issues with my previous pc's, but i can guarantee everything will be solved with a single good fan, 2 if you feel like spending a lot ;) of course it also depends on what are you doing with what hardware, if the pc is nice it doesn't make much noise even if you play games with max detail.

Well, I bought "silent" GPU, PSU, 1 fan and CPU cooler plus a case with pretty good airflow, the pc is 1,5m from me and if I'm not listening to music I can still hear it :S

Don't fraintend, I'm satisfied with the result, but I had to go out of my way to achieve it, if I had the money for more powerful components I think liquid cooling would have been the only choise to obtain such quiteness.

I guess I just find such noises more annoying than most people do, heck if it's quite ouside even the HDD noise bothers me...

Catpaw said:
I remember another thing about Starcraft: when i bought it months ago, it set the cpu/vga "on fire" if you stopped for a couple of minutes in the "choose match" screens. If you started playing the actual game, the fan will gradually go more and more silent. Lately the issue has been fixed with a patch, so now i don't have to minimize the game every time i have to go to the toilet or make a tea.
All of this to say: sometimes it's the program/graphic engine's fault, memory leaks and stuff lke that can make even uber pc's howl.

Lol, I remember that bug, but I find the noise annying when the pc is idling or I'm watching a calm film/anime. When I'm playing I can just raise the game volume.
Nov 18, 2011 2:46 AM

Sep 2009
You have a great cpu and the vapor-x is probably one of the less noisy cards, so i must conclude that... you have superhuman ears. Are you a cat? :3
I have my pc right next to me, i can almost touch the case with my elbow and i can barely hear it. I mean, the cars passing outside below my window are 5x times more noisy : (
I'd like to have a camera to record the sound.
Nov 18, 2011 7:00 AM

Jul 2010
Catpaw said:
I mean, the cars passing outside below my window are 5x times more noisy : (

That's true, but I often use the pc at night/early morning and it's much quiter than during the day.

Catpaw said:
you have superhuman ears. Are you a cat? :3

I don't know if it's your case, but I read the majority of young people has relatively bad hearing because of the loud music in clubs and such. In highschool I did notice I had better hearing than most of my classmates (wich used to go to clubs, while I didn't).
Nov 18, 2011 8:07 AM

Oct 2011
@Sukunai:

That's a lot of stuff. I am planning on getting either an iPad or iPhone 4s for the same uses, should be more convenient and better looking than the PSP go that I am already using for Anime on the go (as in, better screen, the PSP go is plenty sleek). Plus, I don't read manga because I simply can't get it here/read it conveniently, though I should be able to with those. Plus, lots of SHMUPS are coming to iOS, and I freakin' loooove SHMUPS.

Is that 6TB of space in a RAID 1 configuration? If it isn't, then it should be. RAID 1 saves you from any loss from a broken HDD (all data is mirrored across all drives - ideally, they should be all of the same size), but your storage space is accordingly halved. Still, it's better than losing shit. Speaking about PC's... you can hack "legitimate" any OS with a simple crack, and if you'd like to do it, then by all means, ask me for it, XP or Win7, I have both covered.

What the hell is a newsgroup though and why is it so useful? I like the idea of being able to get anything, and so far I am able, but I'm not involved in any newsgroups or such.

What games do you have for your DS? I own one since 2009, but I'm lacking on games still (that is, lacking on knowledge of them - DS has so much stuff!)

@lazyslacker: Obviously not the only one, but... meh. If you're like most people, you probably have music or videos or gunshots tuning the PC noise out. Personally, I have a PC with 4 case fans and a CPU cooler with two more. Still not all that loud.
xen20Nov 18, 2011 8:11 AM
Nov 18, 2011 8:29 AM

Oct 2011
For concerned laptop owners, this is my laptop converting video...

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz 85 °C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Acer ZR7 (CPU) 87 °C
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0 (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT31N
Audio
Nov 18, 2011 12:48 PM

Sep 2009
@LazYSlackeR: i've been to clubs 3 times in 27 years, so i don't think that's the problem. Maybe it's because i used to listen music with headphones.
I think i have a good hearing but i don't mind mechanical continuous noises much, so i probably don't mind it. Just to make an example, i can't sleep if there's an analogic watch (no, not the clock, i really mean the watch you keep on your wrist) in the room, because the tic-tac keeps me awake. If instead the air conditioning is on i can sleep without problem, it's louder but continuous. Yeah maybe i'm a bit strange xD
Nov 18, 2011 1:07 PM

Aug 2010
^ I wanna have an AC too!! My apartment gets really hot during the summer (if over 25C) I almost died last summer when it was over 25C all the time..

I also hate analogic clocks bc that tic tac noise. So annoying!

I was wondering if we can also talk about mobile phones over here too? Nowadays they are like pocket computers. You are able to access internet, have many kinds of apps or gadgets, send email, take pictures and videos, make video calls, play games and stuff.

Nov 18, 2011 1:30 PM

Sep 2009
Luckily we have one in my room and one in my parents' :)
Wait, did you just say 25°C? Here we have damned 34°C inside at least and 38-40°C outside in the cities (and i live in the north) OAO please let me live where in the summertime the highest temperature is 25°C, i beg you! ç______ç" i'm so jealous, in a good way ^^

Of course you can talk about mobiles! Tablets, consoles, even your latest I-pod if you want :)
I know that not everyone is a dinosaur like me who only likes desktop pc's, so i suggested the part "gadgets, tech trinkets" ^o^
Nov 18, 2011 2:27 PM

Oct 2011
Lumikki said:
^ I wanna have an AC too!! My apartment gets really hot during the summer (if over 25C) I almost died last summer when it was over 25C all the time..

I also hate analogic clocks bc that tic tac noise. So annoying!

I was wondering if we can also talk about mobile phones over here too? Nowadays they are like pocket computers. You are able to access internet, have many kinds of apps or gadgets, send email, take pictures and videos, make video calls, play games and stuff.

Why not? It's the best form of gadgets and trinkets out there.

Also, lol at 25c being hot. In the summer, sometimes, our apartment gets to a full 35c :P

For the most reason, I am also a desktop PC man. There's no better form of computing than choosing your own, building your own, and having the most complete form of control over your own. The desktop PC should be the hub from which everything else feeds, and in my case, it is.
Nov 19, 2011 12:21 PM

Aug 2010
There are only a few days in a year when temperature gets over 25C and typical summer temperature is 12C-25C AND I LIVE IN THE SOUTH :D

I have 2 iPods, Nano 3G and Nano 5G and I never use them. I have won both in a lottery. Then I have iPhone 3G, the very earliest one which is lacking all the time. I cannot even update it to iOS 5. Thinking of that newest Nokia Lumia 800. I might buy it when it gets cheaper.

Nov 19, 2011 12:57 PM

Feb 2009
thx for the feedback i didnt even think of how much more quiet it would be, tho i doubt i would even overclock it i think im past the days of me caring enough to go out of my way to do stuff like that.

i had a iphone 3G and about 6 months ago i bought a 4 and it is so much better i get annoyed even using my 3G as a ipod in my car compared to how slow it is to the 4.
Nov 19, 2011 1:26 PM

Aug 2010
Trolololol I still remember the time when my iPhone didn't recognized Ä and Ö letters :D It was funny to get text messages with tons of ? marks + I had to write my messages with no Ä and Ö and it was very annoying!

Good thing in iPhone is that it's simple and very user friendly. iPhone also has the best apps store so far. Tho I don't know much about Androids. OVI (means DOOR btw) store for Nokia is quite good, but clearly there's nothing compared to Apple's apps store. Hopefully OVI will get better when more Windows phones are launched.

Nov 19, 2011 2:06 PM

Oct 2011
Among the smartphones, the iPhone is the one to get thanks to the extremely wide app and game support. Android phones are a wash - either awesome or trash. Windows Phone is pointless and inferior altogether.
Nov 20, 2011 6:28 AM

Sep 2009
Uhm the newest thing i have is an Ipod shuffle, latest model. My previous player had USB2 and couldn't even reorder songs, they were just played in the order they were written in, so i decided to buy a new one. Oh, it also required an AAA battery :D
Nov 20, 2011 9:31 PM

Feb 2009
lol thats one thing i wish i never got so involved with is technology and spent my money on traveling and being more in touch with nature, hard to break habits though.
Nov 21, 2011 4:52 AM

Feb 2009
@Xen20

iPads are yesterdays tech, this is where the bar is currently.

http://www.amazon.ca/TF201-B1-CG-10-1-Inch-Transformer-Computer-Champagne/dp/B0067PLNRQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1K1KDRNR7II5S&colid=2GD3J9GRDUSA

No I am not necessarily in love with the Android OS, nor do I think Windows 8 will save the world :)

It's all about the hardware, what can it actually DO.

I just can't comprehend why people will pay a lot more and get hardware that can't keep up to the current pace. The iPad was on top last year, not now.
500 bucks for the Asus Prime's specs vs slighty more than 500 bucks for the iPad 2 specs.
The iPad 2 is not a good deal.
Nov 21, 2011 4:55 AM

Feb 2009
If I was doing the phone thing though, getting a price almost falling off the chart Blackberry Playbook to pair up with the Blackberry phone service would be tempting. Buddy of mine has the phone service, so it works for him. He can use his playbook virtually anywhere.

But I am not into doing the cell phone game.
Nov 21, 2011 8:57 AM

Aug 2010
That Asus tablet looks cool! I wish I had money to buy one too. It'd very handy during my trips. Unfortunately all my extra money goes to travelling. Anyway let's see what kind of offers this year's christmas sales have. New mobile telephone and external hard drive are the top things I need to buy now.

Nov 21, 2011 9:45 AM

Oct 2011
Powerful hardware within something like a tablet is useless IMO.
It's all about support, variety, style, and ease of use. The iPad 2 wins all four by a landslide.

You are not getting a replacement to proper laptop and desktop hardware, you are rather getting an addition to it.

A hacked iPad 2 can do an amazing array of things, and even a stock one wins out to thanks to the ubiquitous third party support and hardware parity, something that android can't boast and never will be able to boast. A quad core over a dual core in tablets... I don't see the gains. I'd love to look them over if you told me about them.
Nov 21, 2011 11:07 AM

Jul 2010
xen20 said:
@lazyslacker: Obviously not the only one, but... meh. If you're like most people, you probably have music or videos or gunshots tuning the PC noise out.

Not, always. I like the quiteness of the night, but I understand people don't care _that_ much.

What do you use tablets for? I've seen people using them during travels (train/airplaine), but for 500$/€ I don't think it's worth it and I can't think of any other scenario where they would be handy.
Nov 21, 2011 1:05 PM

Sep 2009
LazYSlackeR said:
What do you use tablets for? I've seen people using them during travels (train/airplaine), but for 500$/€ I don't think it's worth it and I can't think of any other scenario where they would be handy.
Totally agree.
I also agree with xen20 about the quad core on a tablet. It's not like anyone's going to do pro-gaming or 3d design on it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What Are You Listening to? + All About the Music! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Corsair857 - Jun 2, 2011

3583 by Elanin »»
Dec 22, 2023 3:31 AM

Sticky: » Hi!I am... :) ~ Introductions ~ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Mar 12, 2011

5705 by tamilanime »»
Jun 19, 2022 4:05 AM

Sticky: » Administrators' lounge [closed for members] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Aug 22, 2011

361 by Lotus97 »»
Jun 17, 2022 12:02 PM

» [GAME] You're Banned! v. 7.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Uuh - Dec 12, 2015

8529 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 4:21 AM

» [GAME] First Thing That Pops Up In Your Mind V. 3.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Arianna - Mar 20, 2016

3543 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.