Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 11, 2011 7:40 AM

Jun 2010
What's with that Child destroying facility? That's unheard of.

Nov 11, 2011 7:53 AM
Jun 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
You see the Penguin Drum is nothing but a tool for peace. Penguins never go to war but when they do WATCH OUT! I wonder what else of the penguins than the goof offs may be present that ties in with reality.

imo they don't just look, they also express the feeling of their master.
I lol when the penguin throw that red string above and it can't reach, not long enough.

I think here another metaphor. Red string does relate to destiny and fate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate
Nov 11, 2011 8:30 AM

Sep 2011
I'll be interested to see what Himari does now. Will she continue taking her medicine, even though she knows that Kanba's doing shady things to obtain it? I can see her refusing, because now she wants Kanba to "live for himself." I'm sure she wouldn't want him to continue doing crimes for her sake. If she does stop taking her medicine, I can see Sanetoshi "generously" providing the medicine to her for free to get on her good side and making Kanba even more jealous in the process.
Nov 11, 2011 8:46 AM

May 2010
Every parent in this show needs to attend family counseling. lol

The children broiler flashback is kinda intriguing and metaphoric. I liked it.

Bio said:
Look at me, look at me, the monster inside me has grown this large.

Couldn't resist.

Yeah. Made me de javu for a while there.

*chomp chomp chomp*
*munch munch munch*
StormViruzNov 11, 2011 8:56 AM
Nov 11, 2011 9:38 AM

Apr 2010
Urufuzu_rein said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Now we all know what comes around goes around? Can't wait to see the bad luck on him and Yuri. Both of them are bat shit insane for their means to ends meets.

Don't know about that. Most of the characters in this show are abnormal without having been put through the shit Yuri and Tabuki experienced. I'm still hoping for a fairly happy end though.

i agree..come on..we shouldnt hate YURI and TABUKI..they have their own reasons..
Nov 11, 2011 9:55 AM

Aug 2008
Aw I was like nooooo Himari don't do it. Luckily Tabuki came to his senses just in time.
Nov 11, 2011 10:53 AM

Feb 2010
Amazing episode.
Go bald Tabuki
Nov 11, 2011 12:31 PM

Jun 2009
Good episode
Remind me not to become like the adults in this show -_-
Nov 11, 2011 3:11 PM

May 2011
Holy fabulous max
Tense episode
Nov 11, 2011 3:32 PM
Aug 2011
This anime certainly covers a lot of ground. Though one thing that it strikes and strikes hard is that this world no matter who you are or what you have done can be a heartless bitch.
Nov 11, 2011 3:46 PM
Sep 2011
I had read the novel chapter of this episode before it aired so I'm spoiled and a bit disappointed with this episode, it's still worth a 5/5 though. I felt it was too short, like only half length of normal anime episode. All scenes in this episode are very precious and all of them were shortened; the Himari rescue scene also makes more sense in novel.
Especially the last scene of Ringo and Shouma, I hope the pre-OP part of next episode will replay this scene and add more dialogs/thought for Shouma's part like in the novel

It's very important to show Shouma's changing and determination, he has been kinda useless since the beginning.
MonotheistNov 11, 2011 4:04 PM
Nov 11, 2011 4:52 PM

Oct 2010
MorningGlory said:
Yumekichi11 said:
You see the Penguin Drum is nothing but a tool for peace. Penguins never go to war but when they do WATCH OUT! I wonder what else of the penguins than the goof offs may be present that ties in with reality.

IMO they don't just look, they also express the feeling of their master.
I lol when the penguin throw that red string above and it can't reach, not long enough.

I think here another metaphor. Red string does relate to destiny and fate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate
Yes! The red string is exactly that. It was best shown in ED1 as it crosses Himari a lot with her friends from the singing group.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Nov 11, 2011 4:53 PM

Jul 2010
Wow. That episode was incredible.
Nov 11, 2011 6:33 PM

Oct 2011
Awesome episode as always!! I'm pretty sure the kids broiler was just Tabuki's imagination. Symbolism anyone? Like the way he felt like a rejected kid and he would soon turn invisible in the eyes of his mom but then Momoka saved him from that by giving him love. It turned out well right Momoka -__- ' Can I just say how much I love the ending song! I know it's like the third episode with it but gosh I love it so much...I need the full version NOW.
Nov 11, 2011 7:28 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Abusive Parents all over the place. Heck, the entire series revolves around Fate/Destiny and the struggle to change it and the consequences of the previous attempt.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 11, 2011 7:51 PM

Dec 2008
Just wow.

Reflecting on everything that happened so far makes me feel lucky to have a good family... .__. Not that I didn't know it w/o watching MPD, but now there is even more powerful reinforcement in my belief, lol.

Amazingly beautiful shading in this episode!! Also IMO the art was at its best!!

Strangely enough... This is 100% pure coincidence, but this scene...

...reminds me of

Nov 11, 2011 8:22 PM

Oct 2010
eiennosenshi said:
Strangely enough... This is 100% pure coincidence, but this scene...

...reminds me of

I will agree with you on that one. I instantly got reminded of that show. There are concepts of dreams a lot in this series. Although lots are vague like the one with Natsume and her grand-father.

Nov 11, 2011 9:00 PM
Jun 2011
broiled children = 10 x tastier than broiled chicken
Nov 11, 2011 11:15 PM

Oct 2010
Awesome episode.

Horrible parents are horrible. :|
[insert awesome signature here]
Nov 11, 2011 11:38 PM

May 2009
This show. God, this show.

The tears just won't stop. That final scene was heartbreaking.

The line Shouma says after the credits caught my attention. "I will withstand any punishment. We promised that day. So..."
Does that mean the siblings had agreed that Shouma would be the one to take the retribution handed down to his family? I mean, when he sees Kanba's hands, Kanba just goes, "Yeah, I took the punishment." Maybe that wasn't his role?

Oh God, this show.
Nov 12, 2011 3:33 AM

Sep 2010
The last few minutes were heartbreaking. Totally loving Shouma/Ringo even more
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 12, 2011 4:23 AM
Jun 2008
AnimeMangaSuki said:
how did Tabuki catch Himari?!...I mean wasn't she dangled from the bottom and he was on a higher floor??
you should also question how did Kanba hold up the entire elevator.
Actually,there is a lot of miracle happening in this episode...and shouma is just not part of it.I think shouma is fated to be lame and useless lol
Nov 12, 2011 5:28 AM

Feb 2011
I'm glad Tabuki isn't a complete douchebag after all. I really want to like him.
I love how his looks changed btw. He looks so awesome now.

The episode itself......well.....just wow. Stunning. (no irony!)

This show is so gonna be the best anime of the year, for me. Even above Steins;Gate.
Nov 12, 2011 8:15 AM
Jan 2011
I the guess the next episode will be Yuri and Momoko duking it out.
Nov 12, 2011 10:26 AM

Jun 2008
The child broiler is disturbing; I think it's a metaphor, but it's a pretty disturbing metaphor...

Speaking of metaphor, yay I was right about Tabuki's bg from the first opening being a birdcage and representing his lack of freedom.

Momoka seems more and more like a Mary Sue... Was she and Tabuki actually friends before this? or was he just "that guy who always plays piano" at the school?

How was Kanba holding up Himari's cart? his one hand (the one that's bleeding) is holding onto the top part of the cable, is his other hand holding the part of the cable connected to Himari's cart? Is that hand also bleeding?

While watching, I was like "Himari don't jump! Doing that won't help Kanba!" It'll just make him sad and feel responsible, and it's not gonna stop his hand from getting worse, because even if she jumps, Kanba would still be hanging there on the cable (or possibly jump down after her)....

Since Himari is a big part of the episode though, I kinda expected her to be caught, though not by Tabuki, I thought Sanetoshi would come to the rescue again XD I'm glad that Tabuki realizes his mistakes and what he's done, but how the heck did he catch Himari? Does he have teleporting powers or powers of flight or something? Did he swoop down from the top where he was standing, caught Himari as she was falling, and fly back up?!?!
Nov 12, 2011 10:52 AM

Sep 2011
How was Kanba holding up Himari's cart? his one hand (the one that's bleeding) is holding onto the top part of the cable, is his other hand holding the part of the cable connected to Himari's cart? Is that hand also bleeding?

There was a screw up in the animation half way through the episode. Someone posted a graphic on another website but I can't find it. I'll try to describe it. Basically, when Kanba first grabbed the cable, the way it was animated was correct. Kanba was on the side of the pulley he was supposed to be on. But then somewhere along the line, the animators drew him as hanging onto the cable on the same side as Himari's gondola...which doesn't make any sense. It was just an animation mistake. Maybe they'll fix it, maybe not...but it's not really that important. We can still understand what's being conveyed in the scene even if it doesn't make complete sense. XD

I liked the way it was described in the novel best. In the novel, Kanba was holding on with both hands and he was hanging upside down with his legs braced against the top of the crane. I think they should have animated it like that, but it was still good the way it was - mistake not withstanding.
Nov 12, 2011 11:45 AM

Jun 2010
For a moment I thought Tabuki would try to kill his self. Oh well.
Nov 12, 2011 1:02 PM

Feb 2009
IceBubbleTea said:

So many questions answered and more pop up! Tabuki's hand got answered somehow, even though we still don't know what caused it. I am beginning to think that it doesn't matter anymore, as a nameless injury had caused him his mother's love and met Momoka.

Towards the end of his childhood flashback, where he's talking about his prodigy brother you can see him smash the lid of the piano keys onto his hand. Makes sense why only one hand was injured cause he used the other to slam down on it, most likely breaking all his fingers.

Yeah, the whole animation about Tabuki catching Himari was messed up, like someone said I was expecting it to be Sanetoshi who caught her, at least I'd believe he could teleport. xD
Nov 12, 2011 1:59 PM

Dec 2008
What exactly did No.1 do? I couldn't get it. Did it jump before Kanba's hand was pressed, to ease his pain?

Oh and we finally get to see what the shattered pieces of glass from the OP are supposed to symbolize. The way I see it, they are something like the remains of those children in the broiler, their broken dreams or something... And Himari appearing among them. Maybe she was somehow saved or belonged to the salvageable children.

And once again. Colours, colours and more colours in this episode! xD
insooNov 12, 2011 2:04 PM
Nov 12, 2011 2:15 PM

Aug 2011
man.. this was a very depressing episode, i seriously don't know what to think of tabuki now, should i hate him? His background story really is sad, but what he was gonna do to himari and co was worse. But then, he did save her?? :/
anyways, perfect episode for me, wow, its already episde 18.... :(
Nov 12, 2011 6:25 PM

Aug 2010
Oh man. Such a great episode. Best one yet, I think. Lots of emotion.
Nov 12, 2011 9:18 PM

Nov 2007
wow every single person has some extremely tragic past. child broiler? WTF?

Momoki is everywhere and some kind of savior?
Nov 12, 2011 10:01 PM

Oct 2008
Dramatic tension wow...
I was glued to the screen the entire time.

One of the best Penguindrum episodes.
But everyone does has really messed up parents...

Also, the obvious red string of fate =D
I love this aniime symbolism.
Nov 13, 2011 1:12 AM

Apr 2010
It seems that Himari had a red ball of yarn. In the first explosion the yarn flew up once and landed into No. 3's hands. Then No. 3 started knitting it into a rope and the end of it trailed down towards the floor. Then in a later explosion the yarn ended up near Tabuki. Once Tabuki decided to save Himari he might have used the yarn and did some elaborate maneuver so that both of them safely got to the bottom floor. Later No.3 is shown on a higher floor winding the yarn. Maybe she also held the yarn so Tabuki would hold on the robe as he slid down?

I think this is how Tabuki managed to get down there so fast, but it's still really hard to tell and obviously the physics of an animated show is going to be way off.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Nov 13, 2011 11:04 PM

Feb 2010
Brilliant. Although Tabuki is insane, he's manifested his anger in such a way that he feels like he'll feel better if he gets revenge....

I LOVE how he saw characteristics of Momoka in Kanba... and then realized what a piece of shit he's being.

I am interested in the major outrage of some of you over the "unfairness" of hurting the children of the killers... don't get me wrong, I completely agree; it's just that this WORLD is filled with it (Those suffering because of other's sins) - religious wars, our 'eternal punishment' because of Adam and Eve's sin (even-though that's complete BS imo), pearl harbor, Hiroshima/Nagasaki... all incidents where people suffer who have done NOTHING yet because of past events by their forefathers/others are being punished.

Other than "war" anime, this is the first anime I have seen to approach it on such a personal level. I love that this show continues to push the envelope and show us how misguided people can be... and how genuine and self-sacrificing people TRULY make a difference.

Electrifying.
Nov 14, 2011 12:15 AM

Mar 2010
WOW.
Just flipping wow!!
Are there any words that can even describe this episode?!
ALL I CAN THINK OF IS FABULOUS MAX!!!!!

Blacksaber said:
So with this we can conclude everyone in this anime had horrible parents...

OMG YESSS!!X'D

Nov 14, 2011 6:33 AM

Sep 2011
It's kind of interesting that neither Tabuki or Yuri seem to want to harm Shouma. Yuri especially could have hurt Shouma while he was knocked out, but chose not to. When Tabuki sees Yuri at the bottom of the stairs, he asks Yuri "what would YOU have done to those two?" Those "two" being Kanba and Himari - why not "those three"?
Nov 14, 2011 11:31 PM

Oct 2010
After seeing it another time. I shifted my view to Tabuki being possessed by the Devil and Himari being saved by an angel.

Furthermore I curse and condemn Shouma of being stupid and useless causing much problems for Himari and Kanba.

There is no excuse but shame and uselessness from Shouma on being an embarrassment. Meaning precisely useless and inefficient. Whereas pure coincidence favours him with Ringo, total uselessness plagued him during Himari's most critical moment.

Shouma could have made a difference and I am very angry and disappointed at Shouma. Tabuki's circumstances came to light when I though about the pictures and Sanetoshi. That is Sanetoshi being Mephistopheles/Satan/Lucifer. One of them.

Nov 15, 2011 12:47 PM

Aug 2009
Yaaay, my favorite ED returned.

And this was a good episode, the Child Broiler made me lol though. Thank god it was his imagination though.
Nov 16, 2011 6:55 PM

Mar 2008
Oh my God.. I was at a loss of words at first and didn't have a single idea what I should write about this episode.. when suddenly I realised:

WOW!!! So Kamba did obtain the Penguindrum? REALLY?!!

-------------------------------

Pieces of broken glass to symbolize life threat, death, or fate derailing?

invisibility, transparency, or cleanness/purity?

Actually there are more things I wish I could post about, but I'm already too tired now. Besides a lot has already been written above by others. So considering it's less than 24 hours before the new episode airs, I better post at least what I've already written. Its size is already that of my usual wall-of-text one, so yeah... let's see how I either epic win or epic fail with my guesses xD Ep. 19 should prove this fairly easy.
soulelleNov 16, 2011 7:31 PM
Nov 17, 2011 2:22 AM

Jul 2010
Everyone had tragic childhoods. Child Broiler?! WTF!
Nov 17, 2011 4:33 AM

Jan 2010
The only thing I wish right now is that the ending is as perfect as was Utena's...
Nov 17, 2011 10:54 AM

Dec 2008
A few more hours to 19... *slurps*
Nov 18, 2011 10:53 AM

Mar 2009
how did Tsubaki catch Himari? I mean she was dangled from the bottom and he was on the top floor O_O
Nov 20, 2011 5:19 PM

Feb 2009
But is there a fucking sane person in MP?? Or at least someone outside the main cast that isnt a psycho!

Anyway, very thrilling eoisode, and I must say I have no idea where this is going.
Dec 18, 2011 12:02 AM

Aug 2011
what an episode! man that child broiler scene was just sickening. hated the the whole "having to pay for your parents sin thing"
so kanba still is connected to his dad in a way a i guess thats what made tabuki snap.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2011 7:33 AM

Aug 2008
Another case of bad parenting, another case of the abused person going twisted with rage at the loss of their cherished loved one. It seems Momoka was able to pluck someone she cared about DIRECTLY away from the hands of fate. The same force that governs her diary. Oh the power that must be behind that book...

Dec 22, 2011 2:13 PM

May 2011
Can I clap already?
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Dec 24, 2011 1:39 AM

Nov 2010
Does anybody know if they're gonna release the IN version of Haiiro no Suiyoubi later? Triple H's album was recently released, but the Haiiro no Suiyoubi inside doesn't have the instrumental piano part leading to the episode title and vocal part as seen in this episode.
Jan 1, 2012 5:32 PM

Dec 2008
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I really want that particular version as well...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.