Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 5, 2011 9:12 PM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This part of the Exam was pretty interesting...

It was funny how Buhara accepted every dish, while Menchi disliked all of them. xD

Plus it was interesting to see more people fall to their death in the boiled egg test because they didn't wait for the wind to blow.

I feel like each episode makes you a little bit smarter. ^-^
Nov 5, 2011 9:40 PM

Oct 2011
It's a pity the sushi part didn't make the cut, it was my favourite part of the exam; but I'm loving the pacing of the new series.
Nov 5, 2011 9:49 PM
Sep 2008
finally, hirano aya is back :D
Nov 5, 2011 10:20 PM

Aug 2008
The new test was interesting~ especially the wind blowing part...Kurapika's dish looked pretty funny :P I liked the sushi test better though :) Overall it was a good episode~ can't wait for the next episode!
Nov 5, 2011 10:20 PM

Jul 2010
Wow! Great ep. I hated how all the contestants disgraced cooking (not that I can cook in the least bit, but it still annoyed me xD)

Really interesting! I can't wait for the fighting episode next time!!

And I watch it on Crunchyroll.. Didn't get to it until now today though.
Nov 5, 2011 10:24 PM

May 2009
This anime is so amazing.
Nov 5, 2011 10:35 PM

Sep 2010
Sylindara said:
It's a pity the sushi part didn't make the cut, it was my favourite part of the exam; but I'm loving the pacing of the new series.

Cut cut cut cut. Faithfulness to the manga my ass

Nov 5, 2011 11:10 PM

Mar 2011
no sushi :(
But they combined the sushi with the pork part, I guess they want to fit phase 2 in 1 ep.
Overall a fun ep, the pacing in this one is good.
Nov 5, 2011 11:45 PM
Jun 2010
Kefkiroth said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
I feel like each episode makes you a little bit smarter. ^-^

HEHEHE That's hunter x hunter for you. That's why I loved/love it so much. Unlike most shounen where only being strong and all matters, hunter x hunter has intelligent aspects and lessons.

Liking this anime so far, was almost scared because of the cut on the violence and initial thoughts on the voices but what do you know, the voices grew on me fast and seemed better after episode 3. Hisoka wasn't too watered down on his perversion based on episode 5. All I want is them to try and keep in some blood although I know it is almost impossible to keep a lot of what happens in the Chimera ant arc uncensored. I hope I'm wrong though. Can't wait for next week.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Nov 6, 2011 12:00 AM

Dec 2007
Was the sushi test originally in the manga? It was my favorite part of the 2nd phase in the original TV series so I'm pretty disappointed to see it cut.
Nov 6, 2011 12:05 AM

Nov 2006
sux for hanzo fans ;-[
Nov 6, 2011 12:11 AM

Feb 2010
Meddigo said:
Was the sushi test originally in the manga? It was my favorite part of the 2nd phase in the original TV series so I'm pretty disappointed to see it cut.

yes and why they cut it out is beyond me....
Nov 6, 2011 12:17 AM

May 2010
Whoa. I thought after watching this ep that there's no sushi-making in the original. lol

They just changed the test but overall it was pretty good. And I laughed how the big fat guy ate all the pork like there's no exception. xD
Nov 6, 2011 12:26 AM
Jul 2011
I also wondered why they cut out the sushi test, i thought it was totally LOL in the manga. Oh, well, i loved the episode none the less, especially the part when they have to get the eggs :)
Nov 6, 2011 12:56 AM

Jul 2009
Hisoka time this week: A mere 3 sec TT________TT

And just when he was ready to f**k up Menchi, the old man has to intervene... Booooooooooooooooring ~ !

1/5

weewees said:
finally, hirano aya is back :D

Great, now I can't get off the mental image of something kinky going between fatso and Menchi... *_*

Ollyx2OxenFree said:
Unlike most shounen where only being strong and all matters, hunter x hunter has intelligent aspects and lessons.

Ummm... Did you, lyk, read the most recent chapters?
BitchMasterNov 6, 2011 1:28 AM

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Nov 6, 2011 1:53 AM

Mar 2009
bskbob said:
Meddigo said:

yes and why they cut it out is beyond me....

Probably so they could fit the whole of the second exam into one episode, instead of having it awkwardly bleed into a second one.
Nov 6, 2011 1:59 AM
Feb 2008
Good episode - as always. ^^ Can't wait for next week ...
Nov 6, 2011 1:13 AM

Oct 2008
really amazing episode and amazing test :)
Nov 6, 2011 2:27 AM

Feb 2010
why there is no sushii?? ;(
but overall this episode was enjoyable
next week:killua !!!!!!

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Nov 6, 2011 2:48 AM

Sep 2011
They're cutting so much stuff out you're missing the good parts that make HxH really interesting... It's not just about the progress of the story.....

But oh well, whatever the case I believe they're just basically trying to catch up quickly... If they did regular speed it'll take too long... And if people really liked the anime they could just try watching the older versions (which has slower pace but better development).
skyjlvNov 6, 2011 2:52 AM
Randomly looking for high compatibility with other people. Click and see if you have high compatibility and leave a comment in my profile.
It'll make my day. :)
Nov 6, 2011 3:49 AM
Oct 2011
The episode was enojayable, I wouldn't say it was good though it seems to be taking a really childish approach.
I don't really get why they said that this was going to be "more faithful to the manga" and they're cutting/changing things left and right, episode 5 and 6 are completely different from the manga and they pretty much cut out a whole manga chapter here (the sushi part) o_O oh well this is definitely going fast, episode 7 looks kinda boring, imo, judging from the preview.
Nov 6, 2011 4:26 AM

Dec 2007
Ep 7 should be Netero playing keepaway from Gon/Killua iirc.

I liked that in the original TV series at least.
Nov 6, 2011 5:29 AM

Aug 2009
Meddigo said:

it should be more than that and I'm anxious to see how they will deal with "that particular scene"
Nov 6, 2011 5:35 AM

Oct 2011
this is not good ---- the animators are too fucking lazy - look at their facial expressions while being chased---- the same thing happened in episode one when gon jumped to save katso

the "happy" music is getting gayer and gayer they need to remove it and never used it at all- this isn't kindergarten-- the rest of the bgm is fine

pacing is good

the extra beard on netero is fucking annoying
the way he jumped was too rushed and too "destructive" which was pretty lame' in '99 he landed perfectly :\ it just didn't feel right

Hanzo's Ninja moments were great
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2011 6:53 AM

Feb 2009
Aya Hirano in my HxH?
What is this I don't even...
Nov 6, 2011 9:18 AM

Jun 2011
"Screw the rules I have green hair" - My first thought seeing Menchi with green hair xD. But it doesn't mean I hate it :P

It's not the end of the world for me if they skipped out the Sushi (part of it was mixed with the pork), the story still made sense and the Egg getting was changed so that it was easier to explain how everyone who got an egg passed.

To me, it's still good, but I acknowledge that the music is getting old (I didn't mind it for the first 2 or 3 eps).

But I wanna mention that the things missed out from the manga are:

• Kaito
  • Mito's explanation + Gon's initial relationship with nature (AND BEAR D:)
  • Sushi

Kaito will return when relevant. Mito and Gon talk later.
We will never see sushi. That's the only thing lost forever, stop trolling >.>
Nov 6, 2011 9:26 AM

Jan 2008
Looks like Aya Hirano got her job back.

It was an alright episode.
Nov 6, 2011 9:34 AM

Sep 2010
Kaito will return when relevant.

That is a long ways away to not have information that was relevant enough to be put in the first volume of the manga.
Mito and Gon talk later.

This talk could be just as empty as it was before if the writers decide to keep with the quick, low information pacing.
We will never see sushi. That's the only thing lost forever, stop trolling

We are only 6 episodes in which gives the writers plenty more chances to cut down on information in order to save on time.

Nov 6, 2011 9:45 AM

Feb 2011
WHERE THE HELL is Sushi part!?
WHAT THE HECK is that updraft wind!?
Is that all for Hunter exam phase two!?
And that fan service, what!?

Ok ok enough for the rant. I Can only hope next episode will be better..
"To some, online is more important than seeing friends, eating and even breathing."

<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kuruta_tribe&sclick=1">

Nov 6, 2011 9:59 AM

Sep 2010
pokymon said:
Meddigo said:

it should be more than that and I'm anxious to see how they will deal with "that particular scene"

It'll be cut(lol) of course.

Nov 6, 2011 11:27 AM

Oct 2011
Anime_Name said:
pokymon said:
Meddigo said:

It'll be cut(lol) of course.

Dude honestly just stfu, if u don't like it then don't watch it. Just because it's about Hunter x Hunter doesn't mean u have to watch it (I only say that because people use the excuse of wanting to see the Chimera Ant Arc or because it is still Hunter x Hunter). Stuff got cut out I know but literally I think the only reason some people watch this is to nitpick at what changes. The original had stuff that wasn't in the manga, did u complain this much then to? I honestly feel this would get more appreciation if there wasn't already the previous anime. I don't care what anyone says, I have watched the old anime mutiple times and read the manga multiple times and I think this version is good but not better than the original. I'm sick of people who say they don't like this version but continue to watch just to bash it. I will continue watching and am so glad that they decided to reboot Hunter x Hunter.
Nov 6, 2011 11:37 AM
Aug 2007
As a big fan of the sushi test, this episode was a major disappoint. Most disappointing episode yet for me. Glad to see Menchi ready to kick Todo's butt though.

The spider-eagle test was a little lame...

"It takes courage to choose to give up." Nothing special or courageous seeing how to get and return with an egg but it did help with Todo's scene a little bit. But he looks much more like a coward since everyone already showed what to do if you weren't dumb.

Poor Hanzo. Was hoping to see if Killua might mention that Gon must be a dog for comedic laughs. Here's hoping for the fun Midnight Game. Killua looks way too ecstatic and happy in a pleasant way than I thought he would about his plans as Hunter...
KageNov 6, 2011 11:48 AM
Nov 6, 2011 12:27 PM

Apr 2011
Good episode. Can't wait until next week.
Nov 6, 2011 12:40 PM

Jun 2011
Great episode! also looking forwards for the next one xD
Nov 6, 2011 12:51 PM

Aug 2011
really enjoyed this scene, not too upset about the sushi part being taken out!! the egg part was great, and nice lesson we've learnt from this episode!! (somehow, gourmet hunters just remind of toriko... :/ )

Paul said:
Looks like Aya Hirano got her job back.

LOOOL man, hirano did a great job as menchi!!! XD
Nov 6, 2011 1:24 PM

Feb 2011
Not going on a hate rampage, because the sushi part got cut out.
But I'd still liked to see it. It was the most fun after all (way more fun, then the pig-part enhancement).
They just should've kept the pig and egg part shorter, like in the original.

But what's with that updraft? Was it really necessary to put that in? Not that it was bad or anything. Just felt like a waste of time (sushi *cough*)

Oh and Gon doing the job for all the other applicants sucks(with the pigs AND the updraft). What the duck, seriously.

Next episode will be somewhat important. The ball-catching minigame shouldn't be bad.
But even more excited to see, what happens after that, when Killua'll bump into the two no-name applicants... :x
Nov 6, 2011 1:28 PM
Oct 2009
Another episode where the original is far superior.
Nov 6, 2011 1:57 PM
Aug 2010
Kuchenlight said:

Next episode will be somewhat important. The ball-catching minigame shouldn't be bad.
But even more excited to see, what happens after that, when Killua'll bump into the two no-name applicants... :x

Ball game will happen bumping into the two no-name applicants won't me thinks :B
Nov 6, 2011 2:17 PM

Apr 2011
I liked that cleavage zoom, didn't think it was necessary though.
Nov 6, 2011 2:45 PM

Apr 2009
Zoddguts said:

Strongly disagree with your view. Original wasn't bad, and i really liked sushi part, but it wasn't logical. 'Make some god-knows-what kind of food and make it perfect!'... No comment. Also good thing is this episode contains most of essential material from original 9-10 eps, so it's like 2 in 1. Also a part with an egs of the Spider Eagles was done really well. So, no complains. Can't wait to see next one.=]
Nov 6, 2011 2:50 PM

Apr 2007
x4m said:
Zoddguts said:

Strongly disagree with your view. Original wasn't bad, and i really liked sushi part, but it wasn't logical. 'Make some god-knows-what kind of food and make it perfect!'... No comment. Also good thing is this episode contains most of essential material from original 9-10 eps, so it's like 2 in 1. Also a part with an egs of the Spider Eagles was done really well. So, no complains. Can't wait to see next one.=]

But that was the point, that it wasn't logical. If it had been a good test everyone would have failed and Netero wouldn't have to show up.

I don't like the fact that Gon pretty much wins the exam for everyone. Like this more or less everyone could have passed if they would just stay close enough to him to hear all the explanations.
Nov 6, 2011 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
So far I'm liking it, no boring moments to drag it along
Nov 6, 2011 2:56 PM

May 2009
I'm just not finding myself enjoying these eps as much as I'd like to. Everything just seems so empty besides Leorio. He seems funnier this time around. It just seems like a kiddy show so far. Maybe it's that damn bgm. It is just so terrible...
Nov 6, 2011 3:15 PM
Jun 2010
Kuchenlight said:

Oh and Gon doing the job for all the other applicants sucks(with the pigs AND the updraft). What the duck, seriously.

Lol yeah. Did they seriously wait for Gon's okay to jump? Why do they trust him with their lives like that? In the original there was a river so you could live from the fall but in this case that was way to risky. Think they want to emphasize in how special Gon is or something. The pig scene included. Also sorry since the no name applicants never appeared in the manga so they won't appear.
Valaskjalf said:
I liked that cleavage zoom, didn't think it was necessary though.

It was lol. In the manga Netero looks at her tits and says oh ho look at those boobs in his mind. I didn't know he was a pervert til recently in the manga though and then after looking back on that chapter.
BitchMaster said:
Ummm... Did you, lyk, read the most recent chapters?

YUP :) Current chapters are getting good. why do you ask?
pokymon said:
Meddigo said:

Sorry if you're referring to how that girl wanted revenge on Killua I really doubt that will be in this version. I checked and it wasn't in the manga. If that's what you're talking about lol.
x5exotic said:

the extra beard on netero is fucking annoying

lol i thought so too but in the manga he has it. Didn't realize that.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Nov 6, 2011 3:36 PM
Nov 2008
Eh...
The original is basically more faithful at this point. It adds some filler (nice filler, imo) while this cuts things. I wasn't fond of the sushi part but this was at the same level... just shorter. Someminor details are more faithful to the manga, yes, but that doesn't justify them cutting and changing this many things in only 2 episodes.
I don't really see the point of watching this over the original. Even the animation isn't better, the low budget really shows. It's just more colorful and new in style. I'll probably drop it.
It's still a nice show but if I want HxH I already have the manga and 90 episodes of anime that is superior.
Nov 6, 2011 3:58 PM
Aug 2007
Ollyx2OxenFree said:
Kuchenlight said:

Also sorry since the no name applicants never appeared in the manga so they won't appear.
pokymon said:

Sorry if you're referring to how that girl wanted revenge on Killua I really doubt that will be in this version. I checked and it wasn't in the manga. If that's what you're talking about lol.

I believe they're all referring to the two applicants that Killua meets after he leaves the game. Which is in the manga.
Nov 6, 2011 4:41 PM

Aug 2010
PLOT x PLOT

Oh god that examiner..

so hot
Nov 6, 2011 4:42 PM

Oct 2007
I have to agree that this sequence was better in the original series. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about how it panned out in the remake, it just didn't have room to breathe. I agree that Netero shouldn't have made an earth-shattering kaboom when he landed, but we have to have some excitement in the episode, it seems.

I can't believe "screw the rules, I have green hair" didn't cross my mind despite me flailing about Menchi's hair during the episode. Thank you, whoever pointed it out.

It should be safe to assume Anita will be cut out of what follows. I hope the exchange between Leorio and Kurapika isn't, however. The awkward shower scenes in the original cracked me up.
Nov 6, 2011 4:48 PM

Sep 2007
So many people are complaining about cuts or comparing it or whatever, I'm sure all the new viewers are finding it hard to get room for discussion, hahaha. I do have to say though that while the bgm wasn't so bad at first, hearing the same tracks repeated over and over again is starting to get to me too.

This ep was alright, but the exam is staring to get to the more interesting parts next ep, so I'm pretty excited about that~~!
Nov 6, 2011 5:42 PM

Mar 2009
fearthebeard85 said:

Dude honestly just stfu, if u don't like it then don't watch it. Just because it's about Hunter x Hunter doesn't mean u have to watch it (I only say that because people use the excuse of wanting to see the Chimera Ant Arc or because it is still Hunter x Hunter). Stuff got cut out I know but literally I think the only reason some people watch this is to nitpick at what changes. The original had stuff that wasn't in the manga, did u complain this much then to? I honestly feel this would get more appreciation if there wasn't already the previous anime. I don't care what anyone says, I have watched the old anime mutiple times and read the manga multiple times and I think this version is good but not better than the original. I'm sick of people who say they don't like this version but continue to watch just to bash it. I will continue watching and am so glad that they decided to reboot Hunter x Hunter.

1. We can't dislike something if we don't watch it. Once we do watch it, of course we can complain about it. Just 'cause we have dissenting opinions doesn't mean we can't state them. Why should only people who like the anime get to talk about it?

2. We're not watching it to nitpick; we're watching it to compare. It's not like we want it to fail. If we're watching the remake, it's because we love Hunter x Hunter and want it to succeed. Of course we'll make comparisons; the original existed, so why pretend it didn't?

3. The original had filler, but the filler felt very in-place, natural for the most part. There were some weaker fillers, but it definitely still felt like one package. Why would we complain about good filler, if it only adds to the anime?

4. The reason we complain is because the original anime showed us to what potential animators could achieve with the quality of content given, and then some. The new Hunter x Hunter couldn't achieve the potential the original could, even by alternative means. It also didn't succeed in staying true to the manga, which was what the makers claimed it would do.

I'm a big fan of the original anime, not so much the manga just 'cause of the average art. I really wanted the new anime to succeed, but it ultimately was a disappointment. An expected disappointment for me, but still I wanted it to fare well. I'm hoping it'll slow down a little once it reaches the point where the original ended.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.