Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 24, 2014 4:42 PM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:

Seriously though, I'd kill for a reverse harem that only went on one route.
Did somebody say...Hakuouki? Now I feel miserable remembering
Aug 24, 2014 4:43 PM

Jul 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
mayukachan said:

Seriously though, I'd kill for a reverse harem that only went on one route.
Did somebody say...Hakuouki? Now I feel miserable remembering

Oh yes, I watched that >_< as well as Hiiro no Kakera.

Painful memories.
Aug 24, 2014 4:47 PM

Aug 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
I don't get why so many guys dislike them. I'm straight and I find them to be more artistic and eye catching than run of the mill male characters. It just sounds like insecurity issues when people write it off as girly or gay.

To be fair, wouldn't you expect there to be more "eye catching" male characters in a genre that is aimed more towards females.. o.o
Aug 24, 2014 4:51 PM

Apr 2014
I wish there were more bishonens in anime. Pretty much every anime has cute girls no matter what the target audience is but in a lot of series that aren't shoujo the guys tend to be really plain. It's boring.
Aug 24, 2014 5:02 PM

Jul 2012
Seriousti said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
I don't get why so many guys dislike them. I'm straight and I find them to be more artistic and eye catching than run of the mill male characters. It just sounds like insecurity issues when people write it off as girly or gay.

To be fair, wouldn't you expect there to be more "eye catching" male characters in a genre that is aimed more towards females.. o.o

You know, a lot of shounen anime have a lot of the bishounen that most girls would fangirl over.
Aug 24, 2014 5:45 PM

Jan 2014
Pariston is Bishie king.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 24, 2014 6:03 PM

Jun 2009
Not really that big a deal.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 24, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2011
i dont mind them, actually some bishonen like Reinhard are among my fav characters
Aug 24, 2014 6:20 PM
Nov 2013
I don't mind them because i like to see pretty boys but i hate girly looking guys.
Aug 24, 2014 8:19 PM

Feb 2013
Kyuu46 said:
JustALEX said:
What part of shounen are "bishounen".....they all look like girls...

GOSH DAMMIT Hideyoshi!!!

WUTTT? This's a boy, dude?

Aug 24, 2014 8:31 PM

Mar 2014
I like them but I can see why people wouldn't like them.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 24, 2014 8:51 PM

Sep 2013
Bishies are pretty alright in my book. I don't particularly like or dislike them solely based on their looks though.
Aug 24, 2014 9:23 PM

Apr 2014
Why is the idea of heaving beautiful looking male characters so abhorrent for some people? Anime girls are pretty much required to be drawn in an appealing way, but if a show has any good looking men, people freak out. That’s just stupid.
What’s funny is that a lot of these so called “girly men” are often straightforward, confident, cocky and sometimes very promiscuous even. And aren’t those characteristics that you guys would consider “manly”?
As for my preferences, I like realistically drawn, mature and well proportioned men more than the standard bishounen look, but if I had to choose I’d take any bishounen over the boring, plain looking male protagonists that are so popular these days.
Aug 24, 2014 11:24 PM

Jun 2008
annoyingNEET said:
I wish there were more bishonens in anime. Pretty much every anime has cute girls no matter what the target audience is but in a lot of series that aren't shoujo the guys tend to be really plain. It's boring.

Halicone said:
Why is the idea of heaving beautiful looking male characters so abhorrent for some people? Anime girls are pretty much required to be drawn in an appealing way, but if a show has any good looking men, people freak out. That’s just stupid.
What’s funny is that a lot of these so called “girly men” are often straightforward, confident, cocky and sometimes very promiscuous even. And aren’t those characteristics that you guys would consider “manly”?

I cannot express how much I agree with the above. ャダヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Taking into consideration that male characters usually aren't made to be handsome or anything like that, when there are efforts put into doing so -- meaning stuff aimed at a female audience -- and you were to compare them to the female characters there, if there was a degree of attractiveness or something like that, that would be about the same. It's because this is always expected of female characters that you don't notice it anymore which probably includes the respective creators. Even if the characters aren't in school uniforms all the time, it's -- in my experience -- rare to see female characters in pants (and the number of them wearing overknee socks even though aimed at females couldn't get any more ridiculous; then again, I have to acknowledge the number of works set in past Japan where clothing was different -- but even then, female characters hardly don't wear anything pink, which I believe wasn't even common at the time. Now that I think about it, even the weight of some female characters is underweight if not close to *facepalm*). And that's really annoying after you notice it. But understandable after you find out that there are supposedly many men (and higher ups at that) involved in the production of these things... *shrug* Anyway, if you think about that, that makes it even more laughable when guys are all "e~w" towards bishounen or just any male character whose looks the creators actually gave a thought about (and more than just, "let's for once make a different male character"). I guess this also includes BL, because it depicts male characters differently from other works in a way that is common for female characters -- and seeing them like that has probably more of an intense effect for male readers/viewers because they are less familiar with a portrayal like that (recently I found out that many big manga magazines for female readers have a percentage of only 0-2% male readers. The percentage of females reading things aimed at males is "of course" much higher).

And about more bishounen in anime, I can see why they are preferred in other media (like manga); for a female audience, often the art is very important and in order to determine if a character is a bishounen, the art is of course the deciding factor, but that's not as easily translatable into an animated series.

mayukachan said:
You know, a lot of shounen anime have a lot of the bishounen that most girls would fangirl over.

Bishounen in shounen? U~~~h...? There are male characters which have quite many female (at times more than male) fans, but I cannot really think of bishounen in a shounen magazine -- unless you count something like Kuroshitsuji, of course.
Face_FaithAug 24, 2014 11:28 PM
Aug 24, 2014 11:52 PM

Jun 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
I don't get why so many guys dislike them. I'm straight and I find them to be more artistic and eye catching than run of the mill male characters. It just sounds like insecurity issues when people write it off as girly or gay. Let's be real, this -

quick question
r u ghey
Aug 25, 2014 12:02 AM
Jul 2014
Shuhan said:
quick question
r u ghey

Ratohnhaketon said:
I'm straight

Learn to read.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 25, 2014 12:06 AM
Dec 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
I don't get why so many guys dislike them. I'm straight and I find them to be more artistic and eye catching than run of the mill male characters. It just sounds like insecurity issues when people write it off as girly or gay. Let's be real, this -

I agree, Hakuouki have such eyecandy characters, if they are that good looking then we need more bishounens.
Aug 25, 2014 1:25 AM

Jun 2012
Red_Keys said:

"I don't get it, why do girls like guys who are all girly looking and sparkly?? Why don't they like real men?"

Perfect.

Ratohnhaketon said:

decimates and stomps on

I more or less agree with this. I'm not big on the "sparkly" ones, but generally speaking I prefer bishonen male designs to "plain" or "dudebro machismo caveman" ones. Conventional western masculinity (physical strength and aggression) is laughably stupid, highly insecure and not to mention irrelevant in modern society. So it's nice to see anime not stick to that backwards ideal. Really the only typical "manly" traits still relevant in 2014 are logic over emotion and hard work. Many bishonens have them in spades.

Also people need to keep in mind "bishonen" is much broader than just sparkly, poorly proportioned shoujo characters. There's a very good chance at least some of any given person's favorite anime characters are bishonen.
Aug 25, 2014 11:55 AM

Jul 2012
Face_Faith said:
mayukachan said:

Bishounen in shounen? U~~~h...? There are male characters which have quite many female (at times more than male) fans, but I cannot really think of bishounen in a shounen magazine -- unless you count something like Kuroshitsuji, of course.

To name a few:
Sports shounen: Kuroko no Basuke, Eyeshield 21, Diamond no Ace, Free! (if that counts), Yowamushi Pedal
Other:
Fairy Tail
Hitman Reborn!
Death Note
Bleach (Byakuya, Renji, Ichigo, Hitsugaya...)
Naruto (the amount of Sasuke fangirls...)
Aug 25, 2014 12:05 PM

Mar 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:

umm...

no. brown haired guy is way cuter than purple haired guy.

like, it's not even a contest. he isn't even in his final form. he is like, plush toy levels of cute in that picture.

anyways, assuming you are a straight female, you probably aren't attracted to all the female details in bishonen.
Aug 25, 2014 2:03 PM

Aug 2014
I like bishounens lol. if only real guys would be so perfect.

one day I'll be a champion at shitposting!
Aug 25, 2014 4:50 PM

Jun 2012
AnarchicSloth said:
Shuhan said:
quick question
r u ghey

Ratohnhaketon said:
I'm straight

Learn to read.

He can still be ghey though.
Aug 25, 2014 4:54 PM

Jul 2012
Shuhan said:

Everyone's pretty ghey tho #fact
Aug 25, 2014 5:03 PM

Jun 2012
mayukachan said:
Shuhan said:

Everyone's pretty ghey tho #fact

#truth
Aug 25, 2014 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
orithyea said:
There are a lot e.g. Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Kuroko no Basuke even Slam Dunk. That's not something to be surprised about. Bishounen as colloquial mostly refers to one being attractive.

mayukachan said:
To name a few:
Sports shounen: Kuroko no Basuke, Eyeshield 21, Diamond no Ace, Free! (if that counts), Yowamushi Pedal
Other:
Fairy Tail
Hitman Reborn!
Death Note
Bleach (Byakuya, Renji, Ichigo, Hitsugaya...)
Naruto (the amount of Sasuke fangirls...)

Sounds to me like the above is supposed to mean that any male character many female readers are attracted to is a bishounen... ^^° I would agree on KHR! though.

AzuStar said:
no. brown haired guy is way cuter than purple haired guy.

Isn't how cute someone (or a character) is an important factor when judging female characters, rather than males...? I'm confused here...

AzuStar said:
anyways, assuming you are a straight female, you probably aren't attracted to all the female details in bishonen.

That probably depends on how you use "female" (was feminine meant?). When comparing bishounen (or what kinds of guys are popular among girls/women) to non-bishounen and/or just average guys, most people usually point out that bishounen are rather feminine as compared to the others. Leaving that aside, I think most can agree that what is commonly understood as masculinity has not much of a connection to these ideals...
I'd also find it very strange if females weren't drawn to the sort of male characters that basically only exist in works made by and for them.
Aug 25, 2014 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
Face_Faith said:
Sounds to me like the above is supposed to mean that any male character many female readers are attracted to is a bishounen... ^^°

Apparently.
Aug 25, 2014 7:42 PM
Dec 2013
GreyKitty said:
I like bishounens lol. if only real guys would be so perfect.
It depends on what you think is perfect, i consider someone like Trey Songz perfect or maybe Zayn Malik. no homo though.

yes homo
Aug 25, 2014 8:00 PM

Nov 2011
I like them, but not in normal anime...

>.>

<.<
I luv u
Aug 25, 2014 9:58 PM
Aug 2011
I don't want to watch ugly people, not matter what their gender is.
If I want to look at ugly people all I have to do is go down to my local supermarket and look at the people there.
Aug 25, 2014 10:22 PM

Nov 2012
There needs to be more bishounen MC in harems.
Aug 25, 2014 10:23 PM

Jul 2012
SanaeSnake said:
There needs to be more bishounen MC in harems.

^ Preach. I'd actually watch harems more often if the main boy was handsome.
MayukaAug 25, 2014 10:38 PM
Aug 25, 2014 11:00 PM
Dec 2013
There is rarely any ugly MC's nowadays anyways, i have yet to find a ugly MC in any show of this summer season.
Aug 25, 2014 11:03 PM
Aug 2011

this one hurts my eyes a bit
Aug 25, 2014 11:09 PM
Dec 2013
he looks alright, above average i guess^. Reminds me of the MC from WA2 but with brown hair and green eyes.
Aug 25, 2014 11:10 PM

Jan 2011
whats not to like?

perfect
Aug 25, 2014 11:11 PM

Mar 2014
Tatsumi's characterization is much uglier than his design to be honest. Hate his generic personality.
Aug 25, 2014 11:20 PM

May 2012
Narmy said:
Forest-kun said:
I love bishounens. They're just so adorable. Like Hideyoshi. ^_^=

Hideyoshi is in a class of his own, she can appeal to anyone.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8rm2fVhJ81rvdy8lo1_500.jpg

I'm sure that Hideyoshi can make any straight man get boners
Aug 25, 2014 11:22 PM
Dec 2013
The only boner-worthy male character is Rin Matsuoka.
Aug 25, 2014 11:31 PM

Nov 2012
bishounen are love, bishounen are life.

ScazoN said:
The only boner-worthy male character is Rin Matsuoka.

you have a very good taste!
Aug 31, 2014 7:00 AM

Jun 2008
mayukachan said:
Face_Faith said:
Sounds to me like the above is supposed to mean that any male character many female readers are attracted to is a bishounen... ^^°

Apparently.

PFFF
Male characters having female fans drawn to them are just that, popular with females; bishounen are bishounen. Being attracted to them doesn't suddenly turn them beautiful... ┐('~`;)┌
Aug 31, 2014 9:05 AM

Jul 2014
Well, if a bishounen is like...

him, then sure! I'm attracted. LOL

But seriously, as a girl, for me it really depends 'cause I'm more into character than the looks. Although it's still a plus. An obvious example would be in HxH. I like Meruem & Youpi more than Shaiapouf(& we know who's the 'bishie' among them lol). What else... Oh right. Between bishounens, I also like Takishima Kei from SA more than Usui Takumi.. :3
So yeah. There's nothing really unusual in liking them for your own reasons.
May 31, 2015 11:26 AM
May 2015
I dont really hate bishies, they are knda cool in their own way. However, i hate seeing bishies as love interests.....it just seems weird to me that a girl would be attracted to a guy who looks like another girl :/
May 31, 2015 11:31 AM

Aug 2014
Bishounen are just males that look like chicks... They have feminine features in their face.

Weird, I always thought of guys like Kiritsugu and Kirei from Fate Zero, Rin from Free, would be the kind of guys that females would go aftter (in terms of looks).

But nope. They go after the Tsumugu from Asukara, the male MC of Maid-sama, Haru from Free.
May 31, 2015 11:37 AM

Jul 2014
Actually I don't like the typical character design of bishounen. Probably because I can't empathize much with them since they're usually serious, cold and tall, while I'm goofy, friendly and short. Lol.

Daria is awesome, anyway.
May 31, 2015 11:38 AM

Jan 2013
Fucking hate them..
May 31, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2012
I am not really attracted to bishounen characters. Just give me big meaty guys instead.

Sure there are some slender pretty guys that I found attractive, but it's extremely rare. I don't think I was ever attracted to typical bishie characters though, like the ones you'd see in reverse harems and such.

But as characters, I don't dislike them. As long as their personality amuses me.
May 31, 2015 11:39 AM

Nov 2012
lol dat necro
my post is still accurate though
silverwalls said:
bishounen are love, bishounen are life.
May 31, 2015 11:41 AM

Mar 2015
Bishies are the best. But I like them with a 'certain something': short blonde hair, pointy tooth, deliquent aura etc.
May 31, 2015 11:44 AM

Aug 2014
Helenus said:
Bishies are the best. But I like them with a 'certain something': short blonde hair, pointy tooth, deliquent aura etc.

Gilgamesh?
May 31, 2015 11:45 AM

Mar 2015
ooo333 said:
Helenus said:

Gilgamesh?

Pardon? I don't know what you mean :D
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

977 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

13 by Sorachin »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

73 by Kenzolo-folk »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 12 hours ago

20 by Rinenka »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 51 minutes ago

5 by RobertBobert »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.