Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 23, 2011 7:27 AM

Apr 2010
great anime.

this proves that you dont need moe, fan service, flashy character designs, etc to provide the audience a good quality anime.

i love this.it makes me want to be a traveller.

10/10
Oct 23, 2011 1:49 PM
Apr 2009
Thillygooth said:
Fantastic series, I only wish there were more seasons to it.

I think people can stop speculating on certain things, since the anime isn't exactly giving you hidden messages. They outright tell you. Kinda funny seeing people act like detectives over something like her name, or whether or not the little Sakura knew they were going to die.

Kino's real name is Sakura. You didn't decode a mystery, it was information given to you throughout the series, and validated with the final episode.

Little Sakura knew she was going to die. That's why she gave the seeds to Kino, and said it was pointless for her to keep them.

As to people saying Kino's name is Lily... I'm guessing maybe you watched the dub or something and they failed at translating by over-localizing the context? Pro tip, stop watching dubs. You lose intended inflections and subtleties in dialogue, and reading isn't hard to do. Watching a dubbed show is like eating spaghetti with ketchup. Sure, the sauce comes from a tomato, but you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: People actually thought Kino would die in this episode? Wow, were you watching the same show as me? Did you pay attention to anything happening at all? Maybe it's the same people watching dubs, and information was lost in the translation or something.

If Kino dies in this episode, there wouldn't be the rest of the series. It became quite clear early on that this episode took place earlier in her travels. This episode basically revisited many of the tidbits of info given throughout the series. There's no reason to think she would die here...

I dont agree with the part about the dub vs sub but overall agree with what you said. This episode has been hinted at throughout the entire series. Yes there was foreshadowing but we all knew kino would come out alive since it was almost explicitely stated it was an earlier episode (chronologically speaking).

Will agree that the show was rather cynical about human nature but thats the interesting part about the series its allegory. You don't criticize animal farm saying its stupid and ridculous because it's an allegory of revolutions. (the communist one specifically).

Do i think human nature is as terrible as this show makes it out to be? Of course not considering the amount of reading i've done on the subject. Dont mean i can't like the show and appreaciate what it is trying to accomplish. The very fact it can stimulate discussion is proof enough, and according to those weird people (artists) anything that can change how you perceive things is Art.
Dec 7, 2011 7:26 PM

May 2010
Interesting show, but 8/10 because I didn't like the character designs (except Kino herself) and I thought animation could've improved. Also episode one was way too pretentious for me.
ConfuciusDec 7, 2011 7:31 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 21, 2011 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
what a masterpiece..
10/10 and i need moar
Dec 22, 2011 8:19 AM
Aug 2011
One of the best animes I've ever seen. Wish there was a season 2 but whatever.
Jan 3, 2012 7:57 PM

Mar 2011
I thought Kino was going to die like the original Kino, but that was not the case.

7/10
Jan 14, 2012 3:42 AM

Dec 2011
TowardsTheStars said:
I thought Kino was going to die like the original Kino, but that was not the case.

7/10

So you want her to die before you give this anime a higher rating, what an amazing person.
Jan 29, 2012 8:33 PM

Sep 2009
arimakenshin said:
6/10
Poor animation with a decent, pessimistic, unimpressive look at humanity via a person who refuses to be a spectator instead of a participant in her journey. It would be a great injustice to allow this anime to get the same/better rating as Mushi-shi.

1. Series made 5 years ago (9 by now)
2. Pessimism is on of the many themes you dolt
3. It's the only realistic look at humanity (key word realistic)

Mushi is alright for the people in the audience of a play. Kino is for people who aren't afraid to look behind the curtains.

Love the series because it really embellishes, probably misused that word, the idea of humanity taken to a variety if it's many extremes. Anyone who understands human nature knows a little logic, emotion, or fantasy is just what it takes for the world of Kino to become reality.
Feb 6, 2012 7:04 AM

Feb 2009
Once again Kino delves into the realm of tragedy and sadness. I thought it was a good episode, even if it was not the best conclusion to the series. Though it is never easy to conclude an episodic series in nature.

I was really fascinated with Kino's Journey since episode 1 to the very last. The metaphoric settings, the symbolism, the philosophies, the exploration of the human mind and so many more interesting themes make for a highly interesting series. Highly recommended.
Feb 17, 2012 12:19 AM

Sep 2008
BalrogLord said:

Do i think human nature is as terrible as this show makes it out to be? Of course not considering the amount of reading i've done on the subject. t.

But then again, it also shows some rays of hope here and there, like this last episode.

LordLagann said:

1. Series made 5 years ago (9 by now)
2. Pessimism is on of the many themes you dolt
3. It's the only realistic look at humanity (key word realistic)
Mushi is alright for the people in the audience of a play. Kino is for people who aren't afraid to look behind the curtains.

Love the series because it really embellishes, probably misused that word, the idea of humanity taken to a variety if it's many extremes. Anyone who understands human nature knows a little logic, emotion, or fantasy is just what it takes for the world of Kino to become reality.

Dude that's some deeps shit right there...
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 19, 2012 12:28 AM

Sep 2009
Dude that's some deeps shit right there...

Thank you? o_______o?
Mar 20, 2012 10:05 PM

Jan 2012
sora_yume said:
great anime.

this proves that you dont need moe, fan service, flashy character designs, etc to provide the audience a good quality anime.

i love this.it makes me want to be a traveller.

10/10

strong woman logic

this would've been a 10/10 if Kino was busty with nice ass and ~18 years old with alluring clothing

8/10 as of now

On a serious note. Some of you guys are either living in a bubble or denying reality altogether. There's so many fucked up people in this world, but you wouldn't know about it because it's too cruel to be disclosed for regular people to know and would not be productive to the society we live in.

TLDR; go look up 'deep web'
flaxman85Mar 20, 2012 10:10 PM
Apr 24, 2012 3:26 AM

Oct 2008
hellogoodbye said:
That was cheesy. How about evoking emotion without killing off characters or in this case, leveling a village by volcano? lol

The final episode relies on the same cheap plot devices and puddle-deep "insights" that plague this entire series.

it was not meant to evoke emotion. it was entirely symbolic and used to illustrate the tragedy and misfortune of life; yet combined with the letters left behind by the villagers, it also displays the strength and optimism of human kind, even when life is so perilous. Furthemore it was an important episode pertaining to Kino's role as a traveller.
There are no plot devices in this anime, and none of the episodes are meant to evoke 'emotion' as you are describing it.
Jun 11, 2012 9:14 PM

Nov 2011
Meh, not bad although not masterpiece worthy series.
Jul 27, 2012 7:01 AM

Apr 2009
I liked it but I still don't see how can this world be called "beautiful".
Aug 20, 2012 12:07 AM

Sep 2011
Awesome episode! Very unexpected, did not see that coming at all. I loved how a lot of things were explained in this episode. =p

Anyways, enjoyable series, not every episode was of my liking, but still fairly good nonetheless.
Dec 5, 2012 6:17 AM

Aug 2011
AirStyles said:
Kino's name was indicated to be Sakura...

I really didn't know what's going to happen in the show.

At first, I thought Sakura will run into the same situation as young Kino but this time, the traveller(Kino) would step away...

2nd scenerio = If Kino decides to stay longer than 3 days, she'd get stones throws at her, being rejected of shops ect ect because of some weird taboo of the town...

But ending is not what I expected at all. Though I don't really understand why they chose to stay.

Kino wanting to stay for another few days because of how wonderful the country is... People can only see their wrong doing when it's almost all over...

9/10

i agree with you
Dec 9, 2012 10:14 PM

Jan 2010
The animation was pretty weird at times, but I can forgive it since its budget was probably crap. The show does seem to get a bit full of itself at times, but it always tries to steer back into the neutral position, leaving the viewers to judge the situation for themselves. I think those are the only two gripes I had with Kino's Journey. Other then that, it's definitely a favorite, no question about it. One of the best thinking shows I've seen.
Mar 5, 2013 5:19 AM

Aug 2012
didn't expect that ending :] I liked this anime

BTW : If I'm correct we can call this a episode 0 because somehow in the middle of the anime ( can't remember the episode ) kino and hermes talk that Kino once liked to stay more than three days in a coutry ...And that country is in this episode :)
wvrMar 5, 2013 5:23 AM
Mar 17, 2013 6:56 AM

May 2012
Damn that sure was a beautiful ending! A sad ending but sure a good one to end this season, as many other traveling/journey anime they've let it open to give the opportunity to proceed with the story or not!

In general this was a nice relaxing anime and had their interesting stories on their own each episode!

Kino's journey will go on so lets see what they did in the sequel movie!
Mar 25, 2013 1:38 PM

Jul 2012
Every place Kino visited had its ugliness. I think she travels because she wants to be free (like the birds) instead of living with the flaws (customs/culture) that come with settling down in a country. Notice in this episode that everything seemed perfect, which is probably why Kino wanted to stay longer, until the end.

I also liked the homage to Kino's teacher. I think she was a traveler like Kino and I find it interesting that she chose to reside in a forest rather than in a country. Could this be a foreshadowing of Kino's future?

Puke-chan said:
I think you have to see things from Kino's perspective. In EP4, she was about to be turned into an adult to do things she'd hate. In EP9, she visited a place where books and writing were censored. In EP12, she met people who had a skewed perception of war. So the world may seem beautiful if you're traveler because you're free to choose the direction of your journey.

Heck, what a beautiful story. ^_^
May 24, 2013 12:39 PM

Oct 2010
Puke-chan said:

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is".

Basically, it's the world's imperfections that make it beautiful. You can have awful people like the Coliseum Emperor, yet also have nice people like in this final episode, all living in the same world.

Very good anime. Not sure if it's an 8/10 or 9/10, but giving it 9/10 for the time being.
May 25, 2013 8:32 PM

Jan 2013
A quite fitting end.
8.25/10
May 31, 2013 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
I thought that Kino would die since the events were so similar. That ending was the most heartbreaking of all. My eyes became watery! Now I know why Sakura's parents encouraged her to be a traveler.
Jun 9, 2013 6:48 AM

Jan 2012
that .... end ..... WHYYYY!!! :(
Jun 10, 2013 9:52 AM

Sep 2008
spyrocoot said:
Puke-chan said:

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is".

Basically, it's the world's imperfections that make it beautiful. You can have awful people like the Coliseum Emperor, yet also have nice people like in this final episode, all living in the same world.

Yup, exactly how I saw it too.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 5, 2013 9:31 AM

Jul 2012
A great series and just the right length too.

I wasn't expecting this to be dark so the dystopian atmosphere really suprised me. Pleasantly though. I love a good dystopian setting.

All the countries and their stories were so interesting :D
Jul 12, 2013 9:23 PM

May 2011
Pretty sad and fitting last episode.

All of the stories were very fluid and interesting. I enjoyed every bit of this series even though it took a while to get used to the animation.

9/10
ZhuyoJul 12, 2013 9:34 PM
Jul 17, 2013 3:30 PM

Sep 2011
Kino's Journey is amazing. The themes are explored in a wondrous degree of subtle manner, harmonizing perfectly with the also subtle storytelling, and this combination makes for an effective and thought-provoking anime. I really liked the themes concerning satires of human nature and other philosophies since they can be of concern topics found in real life today.

I found it interesting that Kino's Journey managed to provoke genuine feelings for the characters within a span of just 15 minutes (like in the episode of The Wise Man). I consider this a feat considering a bunch of other anime couldn't do this in their entirety of 13 episodes or more. Many of the episodes got a 10/10 from me, such as the first episode about communication, the episode regarding human desire for war, the one about how it's true humans are a self-interest being at heart, etc.

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is." - The world consists of ugly truths about society and human nature, and it also consists of the kindness that can envelop others and society. I interpret the quote the same way spyrocoot did in this thread above. Therefore the world is beautiful in that it contains such imperfections.
Aug 2, 2013 2:58 AM

Aug 2010
For some reason I found the ending underwhelming...it was just so fast, with cutting to the epilogue too. Maybe because I was expecting some kind of "twist" given the similarity between Sakura's and Kino's position? Anyway, I'm glad Sakura accepted her fate, it really pissed me off how her parents took her with hem.

Still, it was nice to see where Kino got her other weapon, and the country where she wanted to stay more than three days. 4/5.

The series itself was very good, though sometimes the overexaggeration was just a bit too much for me. 8/10.
Aug 26, 2013 5:18 PM

May 2013
They really need a second season. I love the ending and then I hate the ending because it almost looks as though she wants to give up traveling and just die somewhere.
Sep 10, 2013 7:37 PM

Aug 2010
Finale episode was great. This is probably the first time I've seen Kino that sad. He She really did grow attached to the villagers.

There are many things to see in this world and this show pretty much covers a lot of the different types of people you can come across. They should make another season for this show. I'm definitely going to check out the movies.

5/5 for this episode and 8/10 for the series.
Ragna92Sep 10, 2013 7:41 PM
Oct 8, 2013 3:06 AM

Jan 2013
Wonderful ending.

vanafanta said:
They really need a second season. I love the ending and then I hate the ending because it almost looks as though she wants to give up traveling and just die somewhere.

This episode was set early in the story as you can see how Kino get her first persuader.
Oct 17, 2013 4:21 AM

Apr 2009
What a beautiful anime
The ending didn't feel like a conclusion but I guess that was kinda the point too
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 28, 2013 7:02 AM

Nov 2012
I was pretty shocked at what happened to the village, and basically whatever emotion was written on Kino's face was exactly what I felt that time. Well, it was underwhelming considering its the last episode, but this was quite a powerful one in terms of storytelling. Tbh, I would've wondered how they will end the series since the premise itself can give way to an open-ended ending, but the way they executed this episode was quite satisfactory.

The vibes of this anime were like what I've experienced with Haibane Renmei - mysterious, thought-provoking, and ambiguously symbolic.

8/10 for me...Great series!

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Nov 14, 2013 6:22 AM

Jan 2012
must admit this episode didn't FEEL like a last episode just another usual episodic episode, although bit was rather sad, and Kino wanting to stay longer was out of character she really showed emotion in this episode, a great series, a little 'artsy farsty' at times but really deep at times and though provoling, also got my girlfriend to complete her first anime so that is a major plus x
Nov 18, 2013 2:23 AM

Jun 2012
touchy ending
Nov 21, 2013 5:18 PM

Nov 2011
Sad ending, I think sakura's parents should've insisted more on her daughter to be a traveller instead of letting her die for nothing.

It's brave and respectable that they wanted to stay in the country where they were born even if it kills them, but it is a bad ideia in my opinion.
Dec 24, 2013 6:32 AM
Oct 2011
NO OH MY GOODNESS
THIS EPISODE
I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED THIS SERIES

great GREAT
Dec 26, 2013 2:18 PM

Mar 2012
That ending was quite the heartbreaker, especially when you see Kino displaying that kind of emotion. All in all, a wonderful series.
Jan 24, 2014 1:20 AM

Aug 2008
arimakenshin said:
6/10
Poor animation with a decent, pessimistic, unimpressive look at humanity via a person who refuses to be a spectator instead of a participant in her journey. It would be a great injustice to allow this anime to get the same/better rating as Mushi-shi.

Don't use Mushi-shi as a reference to judge this anime. Even though both shows had similar atmosphere, this show was unique in its own right which is why it just happened to have a similar rating with Mushi-shi.
FalloutShounen3Jan 24, 2014 1:26 AM
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Feb 12, 2014 12:18 PM
Aug 2013
iTsukiko said:
that .... end ..... WHYYYY!!! :(

'cus ... ... ... -.-

Anyway WHAT a SHOCK! Freezed me on the spot!
Feb 21, 2014 8:33 AM

May 2013
Simply put, a beautiful anime.
Apr 2, 2014 1:12 AM

Aug 2013
Iirc, Kino said there was one place she wanted for more than three days. I guess this country was it. Can't blame her though I mean she probably got mindblown when she met Sakura and her family. It would have been like looking at the life you could have had. It was a little too perfect and all the while I was waiting for something bad to happen like with the original Kino. Instead they were kind until the end and I was thinking "that could be the country Kino would choose to return to when she decides to end her journey." Then that happened FFS.
- - -

10/10. Definitely one of the best series I've ever watched.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 5, 2014 6:35 PM

Jun 2013
7/10. It was often somewhat intelligent and insightful, but other times extremely stupid and childish (the anti-war propaganda in episode 12, for instance).

This show is in no way a masterpiece, and giving this 10/10 would infer you have a weak mind and are willing to buy anything that remotely resembles intelligent design. This is because you, people who call this a masterpiece, are pitifully unintelligent and hope to fill this void.
Apr 16, 2014 11:58 AM

Apr 2013
ex_necross said:
7/10. It was often somewhat intelligent and insightful, but other times extremely stupid and childish (the anti-war propaganda in episode 12, for instance).

This show is in no way a masterpiece, and giving this 10/10 would infer you have a weak mind and are willing to buy anything that remotely resembles intelligent design. This is because you, people who call this a masterpiece, are pitifully unintelligent and hope to fill this void.

Not surprised for someone who has favourites being predominantly mecha and action type anime, just shows how vehement you are towards such thought-provoking series. Nevertheless, watched this in mid 2013, and still considered one of my favourite anime. Beautiful art and music also adds more to the contemplation of each episode. A masterpiece from my standpoint.
Apr 17, 2014 4:39 PM

Sep 2008
ex_necross said:

what's your mental age again? 9?
Apr 24, 2014 9:36 PM
Dec 2008
I took time off studying for my philosophy module to watch some anime, although I've heard of this anime being good, I've never expected it to make me think so much. (It's almost like not taking a break at all).

I thought this episode was beautiful, it was a good ending to the series. Many ways Sakura and Kino were paralleled; I think you could take it that if Kino originally chose not to question her country's practices and left, she would be "dead" the next day as well by being turned into an adult.

Many people here probably wonder why they couldn't have just packed up and left; I think it would be a mistake to take Kino no Tabi at face value. Humans are habits of creature, just look at how many people continuing to smoke, stay in abusive relationships or do things that they know are obviously harmful. It's hard to break out of habit once you are used to it, sometimes logical reasoning won't help at all.

Overall this was a masterpiece in my opinion. Each episode is very thought-provoking and highlighted expressed issues that have plagued us since the beginning of time.
Apr 27, 2014 8:10 AM
Jul 2013
jinx-panda said:
I took time off studying for my philosophy module to watch some anime, although I've heard of this anime being good, I've never expected it to make me think so much. (It's almost like not taking a break at all).

I thought this episode was beautiful, it was a good ending to the series. Many ways Sakura and Kino were paralleled; I think you could take it that if Kino originally chose not to question her country's practices and left, she would be "dead" the next day as well by being turned into an adult.

Many people here probably wonder why they couldn't have just packed up and left; I think it would be a mistake to take Kino no Tabi at face value. Humans are habits of creature, just look at how many people continuing to smoke, stay in abusive relationships or do things that they know are obviously harmful. It's hard to break out of habit once you are used to it, sometimes logical reasoning won't help at all.

Overall this was a masterpiece in my opinion. Each episode is very thought-provoking and highlighted expressed issues that have plagued us since the beginning of time.

I agree with your point on interpreting the message of each episode.

The saddest part of this episode for me is how it is hinted that the child knew of the impending doom. She expressed shock when Kino announced she would stay longer, she showed Kino her "magical place" that she had never shown anyone, and she gave her the seeds.

The sad thing is, if that's true, then she knowingly refused her parents offering her an escape by traveling.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the lines of "doing what you should do" and "doing what you want to do." I just don't know if the child wanted to be a tour guide because she wanted to or stayed because she felt she should. And I wonder if this has any symbolism for how the similar paths of Kino as a child and Sakura (Lily) diverged.

On further thought, perhaps the difference was that Sakura had no reason to leave her town. She was in a good place with good people. Kino lived in a town with a dark secret and were willing to kill their own to preserve it. Sakura's town had repented and cleansed itself. I might be stretching for a point here, but maybe the message was that if death one day is inevitable, then dying among those you love, peacefully, is a good way to go.
Ilike69Apr 27, 2014 8:19 AM
Apr 27, 2014 10:23 AM

Apr 2014
I cried so hard in the end. I surprised myself really...

It was a very powerful moment for a powerful anime series.

10/10
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM

» Kino's adventure: Original or Reboot

Full_anime_Fan - May 3, 2020

3 by Tenshi_Budo »»
Nov 26, 2023 1:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.