Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 14, 2009 6:27 PM
Jun 2008
I don't know if this episode was the happiest or the saddest...
I almost cried in some parts, but when I was watching the first part, I was so happy and I also thought that this would be the happiest episode...

What's more, while I was watching this episode I thought that Sakura was really similar to Kino when she was a child...

Overall, I loved this anime! Now to the films! \o/
Sep 15, 2009 3:56 AM

Sep 2008
MEGATRON said:
I think this was meant to be in between/early on in the story, where Kino first got her Persuader, as well she mentioned in an earlier episode that there was only one place where she wanted to stay longer than 3 days, this being the one.

Exactly what I picked up on. And the name of the Persuader that Sakura's grandfather gave her matched the name of one of the Persuaders she had since the beginning of the series.

Wait, how come so many parallels were drawn between Sakura and Kino? And Kino even said the same thing that the other Kino said upon entering the town. I kept expecting something bad to happen, because of what happened to the first Kino when he met Kino...

I really enjoyed watching this show... which is more than I can say for some other series, so I'll consider it a masterpiece.
merle_noirJan 22, 2010 9:24 PM
Sep 15, 2009 1:51 PM
Sep 2009
To me this episode was even more emotional the second time I watched it. Cause then it was like "aw man... they're all going to die :( "

I think this episode is one of the strongest but not really the one that makes me think the most. But it really works good as a final episode of a truly great anime.
Beyond deffinition
Sep 28, 2009 9:54 PM
Apr 2009
Amazing series, and saving the best episode for last.

Very moving episode, definitely keeping me interested the entire way through. The best part I found was when the lava was rolling down the mountain, and as Kino was watching the entire town destroyed, there was a cut to her persuader lying on the ground, showing just how helpless she was to do anything.
She'd seemed in complete control of her life and the everything around her throughout the series, from the colosseum to the situation with the slave traders, but when she really wanted to help save the country, there was nothing she could do except watch.
Oct 20, 2009 5:02 AM

Jan 2009
That was a trippy episode. Glad Kino didn't die tragically like the prior Kino. Originally, I was afraid I wouldn't like this series because it's compared with Mushishi. I have to say I like it a lot more. :/ 10/10
Oct 26, 2009 2:04 AM

May 2009
I hope they make a Season 2
Nov 8, 2009 11:01 PM
Dec 2008
Having all the characters represent crude principles does not a masterpiece make. 6/10
Nov 25, 2009 2:10 AM

Jan 2009
Defenatly a series that make me think of life in a different perspective.

9/10
Nov 25, 2009 10:43 PM

Jun 2009
Very good show, I'm glad I watched it.

9/10
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 28, 2009 2:26 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 28, 2009 4:20 AM

Jun 2009
Kino's name was indicated to be Sakura...

I really didn't know what's going to happen in the show.

At first, I thought Sakura will run into the same situation as young Kino but this time, the traveller(Kino) would step away...

2nd scenerio = If Kino decides to stay longer than 3 days, she'd get stones throws at her, being rejected of shops ect ect because of some weird taboo of the town...

But ending is not what I expected at all. Though I don't really understand why they chose to stay.

Kino wanting to stay for another few days because of how wonderful the country is... People can only see their wrong doing when it's almost all over...

9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2009 12:09 AM
Dec 2008
AirStyles said:
Kino's name was indicated to be Sakura...

I really didn't know what's going to happen in the show.

At first, I thought Sakura will run into the same situation as young Kino but this time, the traveller(Kino) would step away...

2nd scenerio = If Kino decides to stay longer than 3 days, she'd get stones throws at her, being rejected of shops ect ect because of some weird taboo of the town...

But ending is not what I expected at all. Though I don't really understand why they chose to stay.

Kino wanting to stay for another few days because of how wonderful the country is... People can only see their wrong doing when it's almost all over...

9/10

yeah man deep shit rite
Dec 19, 2009 3:47 PM

Oct 2009
Good ending, way better than I expected from this series. I thought this country was a bizarro world version of Kino's original country due to all the parallels between her and Sakura. Overall a good series, was worth my time, even though I didn't love all the episodes. 8/10
Dec 24, 2009 7:08 PM

Mar 2009
really good episode; and what an unexpected end the country had to come to!..felt like a reference to the ancient roman city of Pompeii somehow

anyways, who was that old gunsmith? did he know kino's master?
Dec 30, 2009 12:44 PM

May 2009
Sad episode. I don't get why they didn't evacuate, how stupid. So Kino's real name was Sakura, huh?

Kino lives in a depressing and fucked up world.
Jan 4, 2010 1:35 AM
Jan 2008
Prayermad said:
Having all the characters represent crude principles does not a masterpiece make. 6/10

I can't believe this quote belongs to someone who likes Evangelion.
Jan 8, 2010 3:55 AM
Dec 2008
Arancil said:
Prayermad said:

I don't understand - What i said about Kino's Journey does not apply to Evangelion at all.
Jan 8, 2010 10:56 PM
Jul 2008
That was a very nice ending, a bit sad but a great ending to a great anime. And now I know her real name.
Jan 13, 2010 11:50 AM

May 2009
That is not a beautifull world!!!! What an sad ending *sobs* still a 9/10 :D
Feb 17, 2010 3:37 PM

Sep 2008
Wow, that was a very beautiful episode. I totally didn't see it coming, but I adored Sakura. It came out as a heartwarming episode and turned tragic at the end, crushing my heart. My eyes even watered a little.

This was a fun series, seeing intervals of 3 days in countries. It was also nice seeing a main character that didn't dilly-dally too much in their thoughts or on anything else.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2010 4:07 PM

Jan 2010
oh NOO oh NO NO NO O.o

duuude,why? :(...sh*t happens,this just isn't fair :(

poor Sakura,i get it now why the parents wanted her to go with Kino...but still dude this is just so f**** unfair,i can't belive it T_T

i almost cried because of this...i can't belive it LOL...how could i get attached of that girl after only one episode...
dude wtf,i expected many things,like a textbook story like Kino's

you know,Kino dies and Sakura runs with Hermes,or that she would get into some crazy fight and the people from that country would help her,but a volcano???

f**** storyboard,RIP Sakura :(
PS:what really angered me is that she said: "when i'm going to grow i want to bring tourists here"...now she will never bring anyone :(

oh well...Kino no tabi is awesome...actually,it is better than Mushishi

5/5 for the episode(wich was the best of the series,along with the colloseum and the flying girl one) and 9.5/10 for the series(rounded to 10 :)

so yeah,Kino no tabi is officially the 4th best anime i ever watched :)(After Clannad,Aria and Angel Beats)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 23, 2010 3:51 PM

Nov 2007
The first 5 episodes were extremely impressive, the stories were interesting and full of thoughts. The colosseum episodes were the beginning of a slight downhill that lasted for the rest of the series. Given, the stories were pretty interesting, but frankly the philosophical points felt to be taken out of a fortune cookies. On top of that, mostly they didn't merge with the stories too well.
By the way, in the story of a wise man I was pretty thrilled to see the old tale of man telling king to stop blocking the sun, but the rest of the story included the cheap "brain procedure " stuff that I recall them using earlier too. It just wasn't very clever or interesting story.

This last episode was pretty good though. Didn't make me think too much, but the feelings were conveyed to the viewer pretty nicely. Liked the last attempts of the parents to get the girl out of the town.

8/10 because in the end, these series are pretty rare species. Would and will watch again in the future.
Jul 6, 2010 11:31 AM

Jun 2010
It was an amazing show. Each episode kept be glued to the screen. It potrayed the world that everything is not just one color. It's sometimes black and white, or black and white and grey.

10/10
Jul 13, 2010 6:50 AM

Aug 2008
me too, I thought something bad will happen to Kino (like death) but...

aww, I almost cried ><
Jul 13, 2010 3:27 PM
Feb 2009
It's truly perfect, for it truly feels like they thought of everything. The little things, it all fell into the right place

10/10
Nov 5, 2010 9:45 PM

Aug 2010
A great series. Really loved this finale.
Nov 22, 2010 2:43 PM
Jun 2010
A fitting end for an interesting and thought-provoking series. Usually so stone-faced Kino had an awesome expression at the end. As others mentioned before, people start acting and changing their ways only when the end is imminent and everything is most likely too late. At least in this case the townsfolk were able to show their newfound kindness before their unfortunate end.

As for the the series, second episode was the best, being about the value of life and people's motivations. The Coliseum part was, if not the worst, at least the most annoying. Kino acted inconsistently and the action stuff didn't suit this show one bit.

All in all a very unique show which could have lasted a bit longer ... I suppose I have to watch Mushishi now.
MagebaneNov 22, 2010 2:53 PM
Dec 14, 2010 5:09 AM

Aug 2010
Fantastic series, I only wish there were more seasons to it.

I think people can stop speculating on certain things, since the anime isn't exactly giving you hidden messages. They outright tell you. Kinda funny seeing people act like detectives over something like her name, or whether or not the little Sakura knew they were going to die.

Kino's real name is Sakura. You didn't decode a mystery, it was information given to you throughout the series, and validated with the final episode.

Little Sakura knew she was going to die. That's why she gave the seeds to Kino, and said it was pointless for her to keep them.

As to people saying Kino's name is Lily... I'm guessing maybe you watched the dub or something and they failed at translating by over-localizing the context? Pro tip, stop watching dubs. You lose intended inflections and subtleties in dialogue, and reading isn't hard to do. Watching a dubbed show is like eating spaghetti with ketchup. Sure, the sauce comes from a tomato, but you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: People actually thought Kino would die in this episode? Wow, were you watching the same show as me? Did you pay attention to anything happening at all? Maybe it's the same people watching dubs, and information was lost in the translation or something.

If Kino dies in this episode, there wouldn't be the rest of the series. It became quite clear early on that this episode took place earlier in her travels. This episode basically revisited many of the tidbits of info given throughout the series. There's no reason to think she would die here...
ThillygoothDec 14, 2010 5:12 AM
Dec 30, 2010 2:42 AM
Mar 2010
so sad! D:

i also thought the episode had a lot of foreshadowing. i'm glad it proved false, but that ending was really sad :(

i wish the series could continue somehow. but since Kino's journey will never really end, the series could never really end either.

a really strong ending tho. beautiful series.
Jan 17, 2011 10:13 AM

Apr 2008
I want moar D:
Feb 10, 2011 10:08 PM

Sep 2008
chumlum said:
Arancil said:
Prayermad said:

I don't understand - What i said about Kino's Journey does not apply to Evangelion at all.

actually the statement you made is exactly what I think about evangelion. To each their own I guess
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 8, 2011 7:09 AM

Jun 2009
Everything in that country seemed like a déjà vu of Kino’s old hometown. The parallels between her and Sakura were clear too.

Tears escaped my eyes when I saw the town being buried beneath the lava. And Kino’s reaction… It broke me. She always wore that cool, indifferent visage. But it shattered, for the first time.

It’s quite ironic, as the series has always showed. Kino, who was supposed to die and didn’t want to keep on her parent’s business, escaped alive because of someone’s sacrifice, and Sakura who didn’t necessarily have to die, having the choice of leaving the country to travel (and save herself as well) decided upon staying, knowing the consequences it would have.

Kino’s Journey has been a fabulous experience, there’s no doubt. Unforgettable and enlightening.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Mar 9, 2011 1:02 PM
Nov 2010
It is indeed a cool anime and nicely finished considering what the anime is about...
I've enjoyed it, more and more episode after episode...
Mar 20, 2011 11:43 PM

Feb 2010
That was cheesy. How about evoking emotion without killing off characters or in this case, leveling a village by volcano? lol

The final episode relies on the same cheap plot devices and puddle-deep "insights" that plague this entire series.
hellogoodbyeMar 21, 2011 12:02 AM
Apr 13, 2011 11:42 AM

Sep 2009
I'm not sure why but for some reason I didn't enjoy this as much as I though I would. I like philosophical stories and a bit of serious stuff. This had both but still I'm giving it 7/10 or 8/10 Maybe the countries were a little too surreal and exaggarated...
May 3, 2011 1:16 AM

Jun 2009
Amazing series! XD Love it! It made you realize the poignancy in life and the many intricacies of human nature.. deep and profound, that's what I'm describing this awesome series.. It made you really think how humans really live their lives... Hahaha! Getting sentimental here.. all in all, great show! An easy 9!
May 10, 2011 10:32 PM
May 2011
I was going to read everything and reply but arimakenshin pissed me off. I love this episode. I adore it. I think it's the best ending of any series and I still cry just reciting it. Just thinking about it. Why?

Well, let's start off midway through the series when she declines that one guy's offer to travel with her (I don't care what his name is. He didn't have enough of an impact on me). The point of this is obviously the message here being that she only wanted to travel with Hermes.

Then, again, obviously, episode 4. In which we learn of how Kino became Kino. That's a given.

The foreshadowing. Opening with talking about how this country has the worst reputation. Getting to the front gate and seemingly greeted with no interest until she states that she wants to stay for three days and INSTANT HAPPINESS. Opens the gate to be greeted by EVERYONE and then in a scene resembling her own past stays in a hotel with a girl sharing her childhood name. She probably forgot about the reputation at this point.

The wedding and how Lily comments on how unusual it is that they're getting married so early. Kino catching the seeds for her. The county's past. Lily wanting to be a tour guide. The parents offering to let Lily join Kino.

AND KINO WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED. So you know Lily affected Kino in a way that nobody else could have. This girl was aspiring to something and she was practicing by showing Kino around and telling her about the country. But she declined, which wouldn't have meant anything if it weren't for the fact that she knew.

That's bravery. That's beautiful. That child had dreams but decided to stay and die with her family and friends. She wasn't even supposed to know. Nobody convinced her to stay and she did anyway.

It perfectly conveys the message of the series. "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

So, arimakenshin, I'd like to see you be as brave as that little girl.

EDIT: I don't think dubbing ruins any series that I've watched. Obviously they got the point across because, lo and behold, I get it. There is no way that changing her name in this case changes the context of anything beyond the insults she received as a child. As stupid as rhyming "Lily" with "silly" is, it can easily be overlooked. So, Thillygooth, stop thinking that what you watch is somehow superior to whatever version anybody else is watching because it's all the same. In fact, the only time I've been disappointed by a dub is when Funimation changed the lyrics to "I've Got a Feeling" in Beck. Again, not really important. Otherwise, I feel the dub is far superior to the original.
mooingmenaceMay 10, 2011 10:47 PM
May 31, 2011 3:51 PM
May 2011
Thillygooth said:
As to people saying Kino's name is Lily... I'm guessing maybe you watched the dub or something and they failed at translating by over-localizing the context? Pro tip, stop watching dubs. You lose intended inflections and subtleties in dialogue, and reading isn't hard to do. Watching a dubbed show is like eating spaghetti with ketchup. Sure, the sauce comes from a tomato, but you're doing it wrong.
They made her name Lily in order to preserve the teasing Sakura and Kino received over their names. The Sakura/nekura joke wouldn't make sense in English, so the intention would be lost. It would be useless for them to use that word in an English dub because the viewers wouldn't understand it. So that's why they called her Lily Sakura so they could use the insult "silly", in place of nekura (gloomy). Stop being so uptight about dubs, they aren't purposely trying to screw around with the original content. (but Tokyopop did screw over the Kino's Journey novels, but that's another story entirely.)
Aug 13, 2011 4:28 PM

Aug 2011
I certainly love this series, and the final episode was a great send off. I loved every episode and didn't mind it's simplicity. Actually, I love the simplicity. At times I could predict certain plot elements and the art is relatively plain. Yet, the art is beautiful and each story leaves me thinking. The character Kino was a joy to watch. Some people seem dissapointed by her lack of emotion, but that was something about the character I enjoyed. For one I could sympathise with her, and then It's nice to see a different kind of character. Her personanlity made sense reguarding her background and caused scenes like the end of the final episode to be more empactful. Kino's Journey is a masterpiece in my eyes.
Sep 21, 2011 10:13 PM

Aug 2007
Nice ending

8/10 overall for the whole series.

Oct 17, 2011 12:13 PM

Sep 2008
I think some people dont like this anime and its philosophy because its too blunt and cynical. But I think it sums up a lot of things about human nature and condition perfectly. We aren't as good, innocent and deep as we'd like to think.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 23, 2011 7:27 AM

Apr 2010
great anime.

this proves that you dont need moe, fan service, flashy character designs, etc to provide the audience a good quality anime.

i love this.it makes me want to be a traveller.

10/10
Oct 23, 2011 1:49 PM
Apr 2009
Thillygooth said:
Fantastic series, I only wish there were more seasons to it.

I think people can stop speculating on certain things, since the anime isn't exactly giving you hidden messages. They outright tell you. Kinda funny seeing people act like detectives over something like her name, or whether or not the little Sakura knew they were going to die.

Kino's real name is Sakura. You didn't decode a mystery, it was information given to you throughout the series, and validated with the final episode.

Little Sakura knew she was going to die. That's why she gave the seeds to Kino, and said it was pointless for her to keep them.

EDIT: People actually thought Kino would die in this episode? Wow, were you watching the same show as me? Did you pay attention to anything happening at all? Maybe it's the same people watching dubs, and information was lost in the translation or something.

If Kino dies in this episode, there wouldn't be the rest of the series. It became quite clear early on that this episode took place earlier in her travels. This episode basically revisited many of the tidbits of info given throughout the series. There's no reason to think she would die here...

I dont agree with the part about the dub vs sub but overall agree with what you said. This episode has been hinted at throughout the entire series. Yes there was foreshadowing but we all knew kino would come out alive since it was almost explicitely stated it was an earlier episode (chronologically speaking).

Will agree that the show was rather cynical about human nature but thats the interesting part about the series its allegory. You don't criticize animal farm saying its stupid and ridculous because it's an allegory of revolutions. (the communist one specifically).

Do i think human nature is as terrible as this show makes it out to be? Of course not considering the amount of reading i've done on the subject. Dont mean i can't like the show and appreaciate what it is trying to accomplish. The very fact it can stimulate discussion is proof enough, and according to those weird people (artists) anything that can change how you perceive things is Art.
Dec 7, 2011 7:26 PM

May 2010
Interesting show, but 8/10 because I didn't like the character designs (except Kino herself) and I thought animation could've improved. Also episode one was way too pretentious for me.
ConfuciusDec 7, 2011 7:31 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 21, 2011 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
what a masterpiece..
10/10 and i need moar
Dec 22, 2011 8:19 AM
Aug 2011
One of the best animes I've ever seen. Wish there was a season 2 but whatever.
Jan 3, 2012 7:57 PM

Mar 2011
I thought Kino was going to die like the original Kino, but that was not the case.

7/10
Jan 14, 2012 3:42 AM

Dec 2011
TowardsTheStars said:
I thought Kino was going to die like the original Kino, but that was not the case.

7/10

So you want her to die before you give this anime a higher rating, what an amazing person.
Jan 29, 2012 8:33 PM

Sep 2009
arimakenshin said:
6/10
Poor animation with a decent, pessimistic, unimpressive look at humanity via a person who refuses to be a spectator instead of a participant in her journey. It would be a great injustice to allow this anime to get the same/better rating as Mushi-shi.

1. Series made 5 years ago (9 by now)
2. Pessimism is on of the many themes you dolt
3. It's the only realistic look at humanity (key word realistic)

Mushi is alright for the people in the audience of a play. Kino is for people who aren't afraid to look behind the curtains.

Love the series because it really embellishes, probably misused that word, the idea of humanity taken to a variety if it's many extremes. Anyone who understands human nature knows a little logic, emotion, or fantasy is just what it takes for the world of Kino to become reality.
Feb 6, 2012 7:04 AM

Feb 2009
Once again Kino delves into the realm of tragedy and sadness. I thought it was a good episode, even if it was not the best conclusion to the series. Though it is never easy to conclude an episodic series in nature.

I was really fascinated with Kino's Journey since episode 1 to the very last. The metaphoric settings, the symbolism, the philosophies, the exploration of the human mind and so many more interesting themes make for a highly interesting series. Highly recommended.
Feb 17, 2012 12:19 AM

Sep 2008
BalrogLord said:

Do i think human nature is as terrible as this show makes it out to be? Of course not considering the amount of reading i've done on the subject. t.

But then again, it also shows some rays of hope here and there, like this last episode.

LordLagann said:

1. Series made 5 years ago (9 by now)
2. Pessimism is on of the many themes you dolt
3. It's the only realistic look at humanity (key word realistic)
Mushi is alright for the people in the audience of a play. Kino is for people who aren't afraid to look behind the curtains.

Love the series because it really embellishes, probably misused that word, the idea of humanity taken to a variety if it's many extremes. Anyone who understands human nature knows a little logic, emotion, or fantasy is just what it takes for the world of Kino to become reality.

Dude that's some deeps shit right there...
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM

» Kino's adventure: Original or Reboot

Full_anime_Fan - May 3, 2020

3 by Tenshi_Budo »»
Nov 26, 2023 1:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.