Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 18, 2013 12:46 PM

Apr 2011
LOL insurance has only gotten worse in the future it seems.
Nov 27, 2013 1:55 PM

Nov 2009
Random. Did they explain why there was a "insurance season" . . . I thought they started to but then got distracted. Anyways, I'm wondering when the actual plot will kick in, it still seems to be on the "introduction" phase.
Jan 19, 2014 1:18 AM

Feb 2009
Pretty good so far. Love the soundtrack. Love the art, environment & character designs are to my taste.

Pirating_Ninja said:
Random. Did they explain why there was a "insurance season" . . . I thought they started to but then got distracted. Anyways, I'm wondering when the actual plot will kick in, it still seems to be on the "introduction" phase.

Insurance season comes with will season, i.e., when employees are forced to think about their death and what possible consequences it might have on their relatives/friends/lovers. Which maces them more likely to be persuaded into buying insurance. How did you not get that?

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Feb 28, 2014 4:48 AM

Aug 2013
Wow Tanabe is *bleep*ing annoying. My friend recommended this series, said it's good (if the rating is to be believed then I guess it is) but he never told me the female MC is going to be this insufferable. She's like the female counterpart of shounen action leads "you're wrong and I'm right so I'll force my ideals on you."
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 7, 2014 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
I can understand that people like Tanabe exist in the real world but that doesn't mean it's fun to watch them spread their silly idealistic bullshit. I honestly hope she dies a painful death from space aids.
Apr 27, 2014 7:25 AM
Apr 2014
Hey! Everyone! Calm your tits!! Dear God, is everyone here twelve years old?! I understand that you think Tanabe is annoying, because I think so too, but at least she's realistically annoying, not an archetype. I know people like that IRL, and although frequently idealistic, they're good people who don't know how the world works yet. She hasn't faced death often, and she didn't know how to deal with dead people. She shouldn't have forced her opinions on the daughter the way she did, and she most certainly shouldn't have thrown a tantrum in space like that because that's dangerous for her and everyone involved, but that was simply childish idealism, certainly after all the thinking about death she had to do with the testament and all, not something worthy of all this hate -_- I really liked this episode with the insurance stuff, it reminds you that they really are doing a dangerous job.
insan3Spectre said:
Sue me, I totally get where Tanabe is coming from. I will say that she could have definitely been less forceful with her opinion, as throwing it at someone and forcing your beliefs on them is never ever a good thing. But, she's naive and the people who actually believe their really AREN'T people like this in real life need to get a clue.

Pretty good episode.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Apr 30, 2014 7:01 PM
Dec 2013
The fact that there are people with similar mindsets and ideals in this world is not the question. I still find her reaction very unrealistic, I would've understood it if it was a little kid, but we're talking about an educated person here. A man had a wish, and it was her job to do as was wished, not spew out some nonsense about miracles and force their ideals onto someone else. And come on, people don't agree with you and the first thing you do is claim everyone is twelve?

Either way, regardless of whether she is realistically annoying or not, in my opinion the most annoying part about this whole ordeal is that she actually achieves what she wants with it. That's what ticked me off. I can't fathom how her broken logic and stubbornness actually reached someone, especially someone that had already made up their mind and had completely different ideals to begin with.

Ruined the entire episode for me.
May 9, 2014 11:02 AM

Feb 2014
Tanabe's idealistic views didn't make sense; I can see why people find her annoying here.
I walk a lonely road because everyone else fell off
May 22, 2014 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
Touka said:
Absolutely_Steve said:
Okay, I'm sick to death of the main character after only three episodes. Dropped.

My thoughts exactly. I'm already sick of Tanabe and her stupid logic. "He came back here by his own will blah blah blah" - he's fucking dead you moron! Feel like dropping this series..

Ditto, gdamn she gets on my nerves.
Jun 11, 2014 10:31 PM

Apr 2012
Just parroting what has been said. Tanabe is soooooooooooooooooooooo annoying. Holy shit lol. She blindly throws her ideals at people. I just want to punch her in the ovaries. I really really hope she grows out of this. The insurance vultures were pretty funny though.

Jul 29, 2014 7:28 AM

Aug 2013
Too much "drama". 3/4 and I hope that it will be more episodes like 1st and 2nd.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 4, 2014 9:02 AM

Nov 2011
Nice one Mihalkov.

Absolutely_Steve said:
Okay, I'm sick to death of the main character after only three episodes. Dropped.

Yet you didn't drop Evangelion?

It's perfectly understandable why everyone hates the MC. She's annoying because she's a female, that's that. And I'm sure that's what the creator had in mind as well. Of course ONLY UNTIL a certain point in the series. If she doesn't change, well, shit. But the original creator made Vinland Saga, and Vinland Saga is rated high, so that says something I guess.
Sep 13, 2014 3:10 PM

Sep 2014
This girl makes me angry

Friendship, love, and kindness triumph over EVERYTHING!!!
Oct 1, 2014 12:18 PM
Aug 2011
Who is she to decide what other people want to do with their dead family members? Fucking hell.
She wasn't annoying me before but this one definitely took the cake.

Now i'm starting to see why people who have read the manga have a certain aversion to this.
Oct 25, 2014 5:39 AM

Nov 2013
zetsu_shoren said:
It's perfectly understandable why everyone hates the MC. She's annoying because she's a female, that's that. And I'm sure that's what the creator had in mind as well. Of course ONLY UNTIL a certain point in the series. If she doesn't change, well, shit. But the original creator made Vinland Saga, and Vinland Saga is rated high, so that says something I guess.

Damn. You really missed four pages worth of points pretty hard didn't you?
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 25, 2014 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
Well yep, this is one annoying main character.
Dec 12, 2014 10:21 AM

Jan 2013
Tanabe might be 'annoying' to some, but its more due to her naivety and not being 'street smart' enough compared to the others around her.

One thing that always made the relationship between the two MC's so special is how conflicting they are at the start. Hachi is more realistic in the sense, whereas Tanabe is more idealistic. It really doesn't get any better than this.
Its the best 'love conquers all' theme I've seen in an anime.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 15, 2015 7:21 PM

Aug 2008
I know its hardly original but Tanabe is really irritating. If she doesn't change for the better real quick I'm dropping this. Don't need her shrieking idiocy wasting my time. I'd like to actually WANT to see the MC again you know?
May 15, 2015 1:36 PM

Feb 2014
...wow

so much butthurt over THREE EPISODES of a 26 episode anime

it's not like there are 23 episodes left for Tanabe to...what's the word...oh, right, develop

oh

wait

wait

yes

yes there are

Aug 11, 2015 7:08 AM
Dec 2014
Man, I can already sense that the development of Tanabe is gonna be juicy as fuck.
Sep 2, 2015 11:23 AM
Oct 2014
Dropped. Because Tanabe. =__=
Oct 1, 2015 4:34 PM

Sep 2008
godspeedspike said:
I'm going to be very unoriginal and say that Tanabe pisses me off as well. I don't have a problem with her having ideals, but I can't stand how she tries to force them onto people. She didn't get fired, but I would've punched her right in the face for what she did. Throwing a tantrum in space, what the hell?

I agree. Basically, it is fine to have a character like this. You know the typical opposing ideas till they find a common ground type of thing. But her character has been annoying since the first episode. I literally can't stand it anymore so I'm dropping it and according to the manga readers, dropping it because of her sounds like the right thing to do. If she is just going to be forcing her ideals in every single episode.
Dec 5, 2015 8:46 PM

Sep 2015
This show is so preachy it's almost nauseating. Hopefully the show will improve.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Dec 27, 2015 10:47 AM

Jul 2014
Geez... What an annoying bi*ch, main character should just ignore her instead of arguing. But eh.. I guess I'll give it a chance for a few more episodes.
Jan 6, 2016 6:17 AM
May 2012
Yep, she was kinda annoying this episode.
Man, I wanted my corpse to be in space, too.....but this has got me thinking.
Jan 26, 2016 2:15 AM

Mar 2012
Getting Nagged: The Animation

I absolutely despise characters who keep shoving their ideals and beliefs down other people's throats until they get their way. Pretty sure that was one of the main issues I had with Patlabor....
Jan 30, 2016 8:57 PM

Aug 2013
Those damn salesmen. The more annoying they are, the more tempting it is. It's like somekind of reverse psychology.

Ai sure is an idealist... It is kinda wrong to not respect one will, but she was kinda right at the same time. It only really matter for the close one once you're dead. If a will would only make the one who are still alive sad, it's probably better to not respect it. After all, it's not like the dead will complain about it.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 14, 2016 2:23 PM
Aug 2009
Wow. I was not expecting one of the most insufferable characters i ever seen to come in a show like this.
This is twice she straight up should have gotten fired on the spot and kicked back to Earth.
She has ZERO rights to do what she wants, yet she gets away with it because she has freaking plot armor.
Ugh, hope it gets better cause this start sure left a sour taste in my mouth.

And here i was laughing at insurance people and thinking we gotten past the self important MC.
Feb 21, 2016 10:37 PM

Nov 2011
Eeh. I'm not really finding this very engaging so far. I mean, it's not bad or even necessarily average. I'm thinking it might not be for me though.

It's not necessarily because of Tanabe either, btw, although I thought she was way too forceful with her opinion. I'm speaking in general sense.
Apr 19, 2016 1:24 PM

Jul 2015
I love it so far except Tanabe, how she force her vision of rightfulness onto people believing that only herself is right is bullshit, it's extremely annoying, hope she stop with that !
Jun 22, 2016 6:27 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Turns out you have to prepare a last will every year if you want to work in space. Many pushy insurance guys use this chance to reap the workers on the station. How many insurance guys are aboard this station, though? It's a nest of them somewhere. Maybe 10% of the passengers are insurance guys.

Second half covered a kind of creepy aspect with finding the coffin floating in space. Maybe this is were Dead Space was invented^^.

Really annoyed by Tanabe. She doens't seem to know her place. Even if her ideas may be correct she should be quiet and respect her seniors and that female relative of the dead guy.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Jun 24, 2016 6:12 AM

Mar 2015
OP Animation - 3.2/5

I LOL at Hachi last will was spaceship. It seems Tanabe didnt take it as a joke XD

I dont think so. The corpse returned to Earth orbit by coincidence. Its still a mystery though.

ED Animation - 2.7/5

3.6/5
Jun 26, 2016 1:02 PM

Jul 2012
I don't know what this Anime is trying to achieve with her "heartfelt" speeches but I want to punch her face. They were ordered to send the body to the moon and she disobeys orders because she's "following her heart". Bitch, do that when you need to but don't let that interfere with work.
Aug 14, 2016 3:50 PM

Oct 2012
Ugh, just when I thought Tanabe was getting tolerable. How fucking up your own arse do you have to be to pull the stunts she's been doing since the beginning of this series. Sure, it's nice to be true to your own ideals and she might have been morally right, but she has clearly crossed the line here by constantly interfering with work and being uncooperative, disobeying her superiors orders and putting her team in needless danger, I have no idea how they haven't fired her yet. Anyway, other than Tanabe this episode was alright, the space insurance thing was a little annoying too (as it should be), but none of the drama in the second half had any weight at all.
KoybzAug 14, 2016 3:54 PM
Aug 17, 2016 3:09 PM
Feb 2013
Damn, I guess I'm one of the few people who was moved by Tanabe's heartfelt speech about sending the coffin into space. Yeah, she was going against the man's wishes (not to mention, what her job was to do), but I didn't find her to be annoying during that scene.

"Space is too big, to face all alone"

I found that line to be very poignant and moving, I don't know, I think I'm just a sucker for heartfelt speeches like that, lol.
Aug 21, 2016 11:53 PM
Aug 2016
that ultra noisy and ultra annoying bitch tanabe. i am still not dropping it, cause i like the tempo and environment on this anime but this episode was disappointing.

She is intervening on everything, yet she is there like for 3 episodes. All i was thinking about those moments, i would totally fire her if i was the manager.

So, i have criticized all of that but let's go to part that i understand tanabe. When she first heard about will, she is suprised and frightened. probably realized that she is doing a dangerous job and death can be imminent. I understand her reactions, doubts and her anger towards Hachi because he is too indifferent. She need to face real cold facts about space and life i suppose. She could never see her family again. So, she has overreacted and it could be tolerable until this point but she did it on a very annoying way.

My Score of this episode 5.2/10

Average Score so far: 7.1/10
shingekirunAug 26, 2016 6:32 AM
Nov 11, 2016 3:14 AM

Mar 2016
Yeah, she is annoying. . . She feels like typical shounen MC who try to pushes her ideals to others. . . I could sense that since the 1st episode, but she was more annoying in this episode. . . But, oh well, I will continue watching it until the end since anime about space is hard to find. . .

OT : so, the insurance staff won lol. . .
Kurniawan_KtrNov 11, 2016 3:21 AM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Nov 20, 2016 2:01 PM

Aug 2014
More episodes like this means the story isn't taking itself in a mature way.
Why these kids are astronauts anyway? smh.
Jan 2, 2017 1:10 PM

Aug 2014
I think I just got idea how I want to be buried. Its awsome idea that your body will be floating in space forver( If you can leave galaxy ofc ).

And they just profanated that man will why? Because someone put photo of the man's family with him to the coffin( Ye you can be sure he did not put it himself :f )?
Read my free web-novel at https://arrekin.com/?source=mal-sig
Apr 9, 2017 8:46 PM

Jun 2013
I thought this was really good, i guess most disagree.
Nov 8, 2017 9:05 AM
Oct 2015
super annoying naive MC that should have been fired a dozen times already. cba to watch while being constantly annoyed at main character. dropped.
Jan 7, 2018 2:39 PM
Aug 2015
I'm genuinely surprised you aren't able to understand that she's -meant- to be unbearable. The point is that she is a young girl coming of age and learning about the reality of the world-- while the other protagonist has had his dreams crushed and is losing optimism. She'll have to boost him up, and he'll have to comfort her when she begins to break. It's only the third episode and you're seriously going to drop it because you disagree with her character? I find her tantrums quite amusing/fascinating and am excited to see how she develops over the course of the show.
Aug 15, 2018 9:53 PM

May 2015
One of the best feel episodes I've ever seen. I get that the mc is an annoying bitch, but the episode wouldn't have been that impactful without her. I think I've also never seen an anime adapt the struggle of writing a will letter. This anime nailed the feeling.
Nov 9, 2018 12:48 PM

Sep 2011
This one was so good! Well, I knew that the job was dangerous, but seeing that they need to submit a last will every year, it is even more dangerous than what I thought. It was a really cool, and poignant theme to work with though: death, and what you want to leave behind. Tanabe let her emotions get in the way though.

She was pushing her vision on others, treating a coincidence as a miracle; but by doing it she gave that woman the chance to see that her father cared about her, and her mother after all, he only cared more about space, which is still kind of sad. But I liked what Hachimaki said, that "even in death he wasn't capable of breaking free from gravity", which is a bit ironic. I can't put it well into words, but this episode was truly meaningful. The people from the insurance agencies were annoying though.
Feb 13, 2019 2:51 PM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 29, 2019 7:29 PM

Aug 2018
The MC is beyond annoying.

If the photo is supposed to be a proof that he did love his family and wanted to be buried on Earth, then it's bullshit. It wasn't him who put it into his coffin! It wasn't instructed in his will, 'cause his family wasn't mentioned at all. He died with a smile on his face knowing that he will be buried in space. The MC just overwrote his wishes.
Tanya852Mar 29, 2019 7:49 PM
Apr 2, 2019 6:22 AM
Oct 2018
Lol at all the people saying "OMG!! The MC pisses me off so much!! Tanabe needs a dose of REALITY!!"

Well, pretty sure Tanabe's not the one getting pissed off at a fictional character, for fictionally doing annoying things that were written with the intent of being annoying (or getting an emotional response, at least).

Yes, Tanabe's an annoying, overly idealistic know-it-all. THIS IS THE PURPOSE OF HER CHARACTER. It's a drama- if everyone was likable, and did likable things, there would be no drama.

Imagine dropping a drama series, because it does it's job and gets an emotional response from you!?!? That's like throwing out your toothbrush because it cleans your teeth, or getting pissed off because your car carries you from A to B.
Apr 11, 2019 7:33 PM
Apr 2016
Tanabe has such a strong sense of justice, damn. Their worldbuilding is really interesting, I'm intrigued on knowing more about it. Good episode.
May 4, 2019 12:25 PM

Mar 2018
I try to like this show but it is hard because Tanabe is so damn annoying.
Aug 17, 2019 6:44 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, Tanabe sure is idealistic but it looks like this is exactly the dose that this group needed. I can’t really say much about the ‘truth’ regarding the dead man but I suppose she’s half-right although I’m surprised she hasn’t gotten fired yet. At least she’ll now realise what’s it like to take responsibility for what you sign up for, lol.

Meanwhile, it seems as though the salespersons have won xD. Vice-manager literally got a student loan, lmfao. Anyway, the whole ‘writing will’ thing was absolutely spot-on. Having to do this yearly though, yikes this is some dangerous job for sure. We got a bit more of the desk worker, amidst all this, and damn she can be scary lol.

Looks like we’ll follow the episodic rule before the plot starts progressing forwards, and I honestly have little to no qualms with that. Looking forward to more!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.