Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 28, 2008 10:27 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Haha, looks like the saleswoman won at the end XD
Sep 18, 2008 4:46 PM

Feb 2008
when she first showed up i thought she had overheard him and was making fun of him ;)

kinda feel sorry for those salespeople and their victims clients
Nov 26, 2008 7:13 AM

Jan 2008
Not bad episode but I tihnk it could have been more dramatic.
I think I should write my own will too. xD
Feb 16, 2009 7:23 AM

Mar 2008
what an annoying bitch
Mar 30, 2009 7:21 AM

May 2008
Okay, I'm sick to death of the main character after only three episodes. Dropped.
Mar 30, 2009 8:50 AM

Jun 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
Okay, I'm sick to death of the main character after only three episodes. Dropped.

You talking about Tanabe or Hachimaki?

If the former, it gets better.

If the latter, dropping it was a wise decision.

Although, if you could stand that silly girl from Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, you really shouldn't have a problem tolerating the characters here.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Apr 15, 2009 5:33 AM

Jul 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm already sick of Tanabe and her stupid logic. "He came back here by his own will blah blah blah" - he's fucking dead you moron! Feel like dropping this series but at the same time I want to see why it gets praised so much.

turkeymeister said:
Although, if you could stand that silly girl from Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, you really shouldn't have a problem tolerating the characters here.

Not true. I loved Makoto in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but can't stand the characters in Planetes.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 17, 2009 9:29 PM

Jun 2008
Touka said:
My thoughts exactly. I'm already sick of Tanabe and her stupid logic. "He came back here by his own will blah blah blah" - he's fucking dead you moron! Feel like dropping this series but at the same time I want to see why it gets praised so much.

Overly idealistic and romantic people happen. But then, compared to the real bastards, they're not worth hating.
turkeymeister said:

Not true. I loved Makoto in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but can't stand the characters in Planetes.
That's strange, they're rather the same.

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Apr 18, 2009 4:59 AM

Jul 2008
turkeymeister said:
That's strange, they're rather the same.

No. No they aren't. Appearance-wise maybe, but never once have I thought their personalities are alike. Mokoto actually makes sense.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 19, 2009 3:37 AM

Jun 2008
Touka said:
No. No they aren't. Appearance-wise maybe, but never once have I thought their personalities are alike. Mokoto actually makes sense.

Are you telling me you have never personally met a person like Tanabe?

formosan said:
Aug 22, 2009 7:34 PM

Aug 2009
turkeymeister said:
Touka said:

Where are you meeting people? Yes i can honestly say I haven't.
Oct 11, 2009 12:44 AM

Jun 2009
DazzleRahzel said:
turkeymeister said:
Touka said:

Where are you meeting people? Yes i can honestly say I haven't.

Well I'm sure, throughout the world, there is a pretty good chance that people like Tanabe exist.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 9, 2009 8:11 AM

May 2009
this is bullshit...

I must admitted that i just wanna cry watching this... why? because i've read the manga and this is the worst insult to it... i can't believe this is actually called planetes...

still i'm not dropping it because i have faith (and its really the only reason i still didnt drop it)

and btw u should all read the manga
Dec 21, 2009 8:50 AM

Nov 2009
Pewdie said:
what an annoying bitch

Ugh i know, i hope her character changes cuz right now, everything she says pisses me off.

peroxid said:
this is bullshit...

I must admitted that i just wanna cry watching this... why? because i've read the manga and this is the worst insult to it... i can't believe this is actually called planetes...

still i'm not dropping it because i have faith (and its really the only reason i still didnt drop it)

But if i read the manga wouldn't that make me not like the anime?
Dec 21, 2009 8:03 PM

May 2009
Mashui99 said:
Pewdie said:
what an annoying bitch

Ugh i know, i hope her character changes cuz right now, everything she says pisses me off.

peroxid said:
this is bullshit...

But if i read the manga wouldn't that make me not like the anime?

most definitly... but i still recommend reading it (at least when you finish the anime "adaptation")
Feb 8, 2010 6:25 PM
Apr 2009
Tanabe is so retarded, it's not even funny anymore.
Feb 8, 2010 6:28 PM
Apr 2009
turkeymeister said:
Touka said:

I'm sure I didn't. People like that exist only in anime.
May 16, 2010 9:35 PM

Sep 2009
Good god....if all those insurance people were around me I would go crazy too.
May 24, 2010 7:52 PM

Aug 2008
Dang, so much hate.

Yes, Tanabe can be annoying with her judgmental attitude, but I can sympathize with her idealistic/romantic reasons. It's not her opinions that annoy me, it's how judgmental she can be with them.

Hachimaki is the only one who argues with her though. Everyone else just seems to realize that she's still just a child with much growing up to do (and so they just deal with it). Both her and Hachi need to grow up. I, for one, am enjoying the characters and look forward to how they grow and impact each other.
Sep 9, 2010 12:38 AM

Aug 2009
Despite she should get less stressed and be a bit more realistical, Tanabe's speech has surprised me. It seemed great to me.

And death to insurance sellers. X-D
Oct 9, 2010 2:55 AM

Jun 2009
I hope I won't be disliking the main characters till the end
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Oct 15, 2010 3:41 AM

Apr 2010
Touka said:
Absolutely_Steve said:

Yup, I totally agree. Tanabe is annoying. The guy's dead. End of story.

Nov 8, 2010 1:01 AM

Oct 2009
Touka said:
Absolutely_Steve said:

Nov 30, 2010 3:56 AM

Jan 2009
The only thing I liked was the last will sketch. A good laugh =)
Jan 20, 2011 12:25 AM
Jul 2010
Wow.... another anime that gave me a fit of rage at the stupidity...

She deserves a good slap across the face n waking up to reality. If the daughter says she wants it, surely you should respect their wishes and shut the fuck up about it..
Jan 20, 2011 12:25 AM
Jul 2010
Wow.... another anime that gave me a fit of rage at the stupidity...

She deserves a good slap across the face n waking up to reality. If the daughter says she wants it, surely you should respect their wishes and shut the fuck up about it..
Jan 20, 2011 9:32 AM

Aug 2010
Pewdie said:
what an annoying bitch
I felt my rage pill up inside me and it's only been three episode!!
Feb 21, 2011 11:38 PM

Aug 2010
Pewdie said:
what an annoying bitch

I was wondering if I was alone on this. I've heard nothing but good things about this anime and decided to give it a shot.

So far I'm enjoying the setting and all that, but damn Tanabe is a nosy bitch. I mean, usually there will be an overly idealistic character in any anime, but since this show seems more realistic in other aspects I was hoping to avoid this personality type here.

Guess not.
Mar 31, 2011 1:42 PM
Jul 2010
Wow, Tanabe is really high-strung. I can't believe they didn't fire her for that crazy stunt.
May 26, 2011 9:31 PM
Dec 2008
the bitch pisses me off to no end
Jul 21, 2011 2:03 PM
Feb 2011
I'm going to be very unoriginal and say that Tanabe pisses me off as well. I don't have a problem with her having ideals, but I can't stand how she tries to force them onto people. She didn't get fired, but I would've punched her right in the face for what she did. Throwing a tantrum in space, what the hell?
Jul 31, 2011 3:34 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, so much anger, haha. I'm actually one of the few who doesn't mind Tanabe at this point in the story. I mean, you can tell that both her and Hachimaki are meant to grow a lot over the course of the series and become more "stable" individuals (since the both of them are at the extreme ends of the idealism/pessimism spectrum, at least in regards to human relationships). Plus, despite her forcefulness and her rather illogical argument about the astronaut wanting to go back to Earth, the essential point of her rant (that people aren't meant to live isolated lives, no matter what type of job they have) is true and the fact that it pisses Hachimaki off so much means that there will probably be some verrry interesting conflicts between the two of them in the future.

And dang, Hachimaki seems to have a really interesting backstory buried underneath all that pessimism/skepticism/annoyance. Definitely excited to see how things will develop from here on out.
Jul 31, 2011 7:37 PM

Jun 2009
Sue me, I totally get where Tanabe is coming from. I will say that she could have definitely been less forceful with her opinion, as throwing it at someone and forcing your beliefs on them is never ever a good thing. But, she's naive and the people who actually believe their really AREN'T people like this in real life need to get a clue.

Pretty good episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 1, 2011 6:51 PM

Mar 2011
I've met someone like Tanabe. Where as Tanabe is just young and idealistic, the person I know IRL is just as opinionated and believes she is totally right all the time. Responds to differences of opinion with 'no, you're wrong' and 'you're such a freak'.

She's the supervisor in my IT office. She even overpowers the recently-promoted-to-line-manager. She once filled me for a disciplinary because I had an anime wallpaper (I usually do, mostly scenic or mecha) and to be fair it was from Dokuro-chan. Nothing NSFW, just her in her uniform smiling with Excalibolg hidden behind her back. I was practically accused of paedophilia in the disciplinary. All that was mentioned was that 'she looked a little young' and how traumatised and upset my supervisor was, and how she had to go home crying because she was so affected by the image. Damn near cost me my job.

Anyways, I liked this episode. I think I've got my space-dream glasses on because I only see a rose-tinted version of what I want to see when it comes to space. Sure I remember some young woman raving about dignity and family.

I also remember LOADS OF FUCKING COOL SPACE STUFF
Sep 9, 2011 8:01 PM

Sep 2009
will someone please stab tanabe in her annoying f*cking face? PLEASE?!
Oct 23, 2011 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
Like many people here, hate the main girl, even if she's right, why does she need to be so noisy and what makes her think that she can impose her views on other people?
Jan 5, 2012 1:39 AM

Feb 2011
Tanabe was a bit annoying in this episode (a good episode by all means). What right did she have to say that? She should've done as told!
Feb 27, 2012 5:45 PM

Aug 2010
Tanabe's moralfaggotry in this episode was almost unbearable to watch. I seriously hope she matures over the course of the series.
Apr 14, 2012 10:04 AM

Nov 2008
Wow, this episode seriously made me want to drop the show. Someone please tell me Tanabe gets better and shuts the fuck up. The crap she was spouting was just retarded. The daughter said send him back, the guy chose to be there and yet she's screaming about love and his will, THE GUY IS FUCKING DEAD!!! Add that with all the other dumb shit she has been spouting and you have a clusterfuck of an annoying rage worthy character.
Good job Tanabe, you're single handily killing this show.
Jul 23, 2012 10:24 AM

Jul 2011
PnkRxPrncss said:
Wow, this episode seriously made me want to drop the show. Someone please tell me Tanabe gets better and shuts the fuck up. The crap she was spouting was just retarded. The daughter said send him back, the guy chose to be there and yet she's screaming about love and his will, THE GUY IS FUCKING DEAD!!! Add that with all the other dumb shit she has been spouting and you have a clusterfuck of an annoying rage worthy character.
Good job Tanabe, you're single handily killing this show.

My thoughts exactly.

MirorinJul 24, 2012 3:34 PM
Aug 9, 2012 2:08 PM

Sep 2011
This girl... *facepalm
Aug 22, 2012 10:06 PM
Jul 2011
Tanabe is so annoying.
Oct 4, 2012 1:07 PM

Oct 2010
Dropped i cant tolerate Tanabe any longer and its only 3rd episode.
bonifideOct 4, 2012 1:15 PM
Nov 2, 2012 2:44 PM

Nov 2011
Well there's something you don't see everyday...you know, a body in a coffin from outer space. This episode sure was out of this world.
Dec 26, 2012 11:04 PM

Jul 2009
Stark700 said:
Well there's something you don't see everyday...you know, a body in a coffin from outer space. This episode sure was out of this world.

Actually, there has been a dozen space burials before.
Jan 24, 2013 10:53 AM

May 2012
Those insurance people... nice episode, some touching moment!
Aug 18, 2013 5:18 AM

May 2008
Just came here to say that Tanabe gets on my nerves so bad, and it seems I'm not the only one
Aug 25, 2013 6:01 PM
Mar 2012
Kyomu9 said:
Just came here to say that Tanabe gets on my nerves so bad, and it seems I'm not the only one

Add me in as another that doesn't like Tanabe. I like Hachinabe (I can't call him "hachi" after watching Nana), and Fee though. It's like Trigun where I didn't like the main character, but liked most other people.

Anyway, in this episode she's flat out wrong. Dude clearly wanted to be out in space. SHE'S the one being selfish and imposing her own moral code on everyone else, she's being an ass.
Oct 7, 2013 3:19 PM

Mar 2013
This main female protagonist is so stupid and annoying, she acts just like a little kid.. the problem is that you can see that the storywriter thinks like her else they wouldnt make her succeed with her naive ideas and never punish her for saying that nonsense-.-
Nov 15, 2013 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
Very good episode. I liked how they found the body while dealing with writing their own wills.

I can't agree with Tanabe even though it turned out she was right. If that astronaut really did want to buried in space, it would be a real shame that Tanabe forced her ideals on someone she didn't even know. I guess they're still trying to show that she is naive and that Hachi knows better.

Preview shows a new pretty boy thrown in the mix. I wonder if he'll start to make moves on Tanabe.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.