Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2011 5:01 AM

Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a smart move. Episode didn't go anywhere but I thought Goku's attack from underwater was good thinking.
LunaDec 6, 2013 4:31 AM

Nov 20, 2013 9:45 AM

May 2012
Things are going to even more interesting from now on off, so lets see what's next!
Dec 13, 2013 1:10 PM

Jun 2009
Nice little trick Goku played on Frieza when he was underwater although when he said that he "hadn't used it in a while" I wonder what he was referring to? I don't remember ever seeing him use anything like that before.
Jan 8, 2014 9:46 AM

Oct 2009
Tyestor said:
although when he said that he "hadn't used it in a while" I wonder what he was referring to? I don't remember ever seeing him use anything like that before.

He meant Kamehameha.
He doesn't need to say "Kamehameha" btw, it's enough to only think it

I wonder if after Goku defeats Freeza, the next villain is going to be Freeza's father?
Feb 29, 2016 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
And people say there's no strategy in DBZ.
linkjokerFeb 29, 2016 2:07 PM
Jun 12, 2016 3:34 PM

Feb 2016
Nice seeing Goku use his head over his instincts. Not that he's dumb or anything, just nice seeing strategy.

I understand why Gohan and Krillin were in shock & awe at Frieza lifting the island, but why Piccolo?

Piccolo lifted pyramids during training in the Saiyan Saga and Goku during his regiment after getting out the hospital.

I don't think a pyramid is really much different from a island. Both impressive feats.

Also nice seeing Goku crack a small "whip" in battle. When he was dodging all those rocks, he said "Hammer Time!" and started hammering away at them. Heh. He has his moments.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jun 24, 2016 9:10 PM

Sep 2013
Great episode.....but......Chichi....just ugh, Chichi

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 18, 2018 9:25 AM

Nov 2017
We saw loads of interesting moves, such as the underwater torpedoes and the ball Frieza trapped Goku in. But it was obvious they were just playing around with each other. I'm glad that's over, and they'll actually get down to buisness.

It saddens me that Chi Chi doesn't realise that Piccolo is now good, is like a second father to Gohan and has sacrificed his life for him. Either she wasn't told yet or she just ignored the people who tried to, but it's another reason why she is so annoying.
You can't miss something until it's gone.
May 19, 2018 1:49 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Talon184 said:
Great episode.....but......Chichi....just ugh, Chichi

I would so love to see her DIE -.-

May 19, 2018 8:08 AM

Oct 2009
Yiuumii said:

In DBZ universe, that wouldn't mean much (although I bet she would make a valuable addition to the Hell)
May 19, 2018 6:48 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Serhiyko said:
Yiuumii said:

In DBZ universe, that wouldn't mean much (although I bet she would make a valuable addition to the Hell)

Yes ofc but I really find her annoying .... I can't remember if it was better further on in the series but Since they married she is just so awfully getting on my nerves @_@

Jan 21, 2019 12:36 PM

Jul 2008
Well at least Chichi isn't as bad as Bulma. Though that's not saying much.
Jan 23, 2019 5:16 AM

Oct 2009
WolfWood37 said:
Well at least Chichi isn't as bad as Bulma. Though that's not saying much.

That's questionable, actually. Not bad in what way? She's definitely more annoying, less smart, and plays less role for the plot, both in the past and in the future. Maybe she's a better parent, but the way she tries to push her vision of the children's future onto them puts that in question, too. She's a better martial artist, but that isn't shown ever again after the tournament where she was engaged to Goku. I'd say she's less interesting as a character than Bulma
Dec 10, 2019 4:13 AM

Mar 2010
I also think that Chi-Chi is more annoying than Bulma. Bulma can be smart with her technical skill and plays a part in the Plot, eventhough its mostly secondary. Chi-Chi instead just plays the annoying wife part that Toriyama seemed to like a lot. The whole point or climax of her scenes is only to be ... yep yelling about whatever (mostly Gohan or Goku related).

This episode was a start of the big battle, not too much happened here but I think the purpose was to show both are smart fighters (Goku in Water with 2 Ki Balls / Freezer using the big island only to distract Goku, not to kill him with it).
Jul 29, 2020 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
Goku may be naive on an everyday basis, but when it comes to battle strategies, he knows how to think of something that would give him the edge against his enemies. That underwater trick was simple, yet efficient, utilizing his adversary lack of sensing ability.

It seems like Chi-Chi hasn't given up yet in getting to Namek. Ah, the wrathful compassion of a desperate mother. It is a good thing she doesn't have any idea as to what kind of highly dangerous circumstances her Gohan found himself in. And why in the world did she pack her own panties and Gohan's school studies?
removed-userJul 29, 2020 7:06 AM
Oct 4, 2020 1:32 PM
May 2019
Goku always seems to have a couple of tricks in his sleeve. Attacking from underwater certainly did the job well. On the other hand, I was afraid he had become Frieza's plaything by falling for his trick. They both possess extreme willpower - I doubt the battle will end anytime soon. Especially, with them both agreeing to get serious.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 226 Discussion

11 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 225 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 3:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.