Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 20, 2009 4:26 AM

Jan 2009
Yea, I was thinking they should replace war with sports or video games. Too bad they don't have laser tag or paintball guns. That was freaky at the end. Kino was lucky. She could've given them warning shots in their heads.
Nov 25, 2009 1:44 AM

Jan 2009
W.........T.........F?
Nov 25, 2009 10:04 PM

Jun 2009
Best episode yet. This episode really hit home for me.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 28, 2009 3:50 AM

Jun 2009
Wow... Now that is sick...

Makes you really question the solution of war... and nessasary sacrifices, but I really hope our world won't resolve in such solution...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2009 4:36 PM

Oct 2009
Holy shit, I think that was the sickest thing I've ever seen in an anime. Loved the ending - the villagers are also cowardly and just as willing to kill people weaker than themselves for their own satisfaction.
Dec 30, 2009 12:02 PM

May 2009
Lepchin17 said:
W.........T.........F?
This. How can the people of those two countries even think of a solution like that?
Feb 16, 2010 11:33 PM

Aug 2008
stAtic91 said:
Lepchin17 said:
W.........T.........F?
This. How can the people of those two countries even think of a solution like that?
Truthfully, that solution is much better than war... That being said, it is still simply a contest that could of been done without killing.
Feb 21, 2010 2:49 AM

Mar 2008
And that leads me to the conclusion.. War is never good. Whether your intention is good or bad, it doesn't matter because war is war.

Also, I'd like to quote something my former social studies teacher told us "The end does not justify the means" - it means that even if your intention is good, the end result is not worth having if you have to break rules to achieve it.
Mar 24, 2010 12:48 AM
Sep 2009
As soon as the "indigenous tribes" were pointed out, I knew what was coming.
It started off so well, too... T_T
Just my two cents.
Jun 14, 2010 3:40 PM

Jan 2010
damn what a controversial episode O.o...but it satirised the real war so nice,it was awesome :)
for 80% of the time,i just wanted to slap that old hag :\

5/5

PS:next time they should just play paintball and stop killing innocent people
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 19, 2010 7:40 PM

Jul 2009
"War. War never changes."
Jul 4, 2010 9:57 AM

Jul 2009
TheFirst said:
I think it's a mistake to look at this show with reality-tinted glasses. Kino's Journey is a satire. It is allegory, a twisted reflection of the real world through which viewers can focus and learn about the world they live in.

I personally loved the twist at the end of the episode. The 3rd party, whom we saw as innocent victims of the two nations at war, turns out not to be so innocent. Just like their more powerful counterparts, they turn to the barbaric slaughter of those weaker than themselves as well. Through their wanton killings of unarmed travelers, they made themselves no different than their tormentors.

This episode was an excellent observation on human nature.

This sums it up quite well. Of all the episodes so far, I think the message in this one was the most fittingly presented. Probably the best episode so far. I loved it.
Jul 13, 2010 6:26 AM

Aug 2008
another stupidity of human beings.
Nov 5, 2010 9:11 PM

Aug 2010
ARXLaevatein said:
"War. War never changes."

+1
Jan 18, 2011 2:18 AM

Sep 2009
The cycle of violence.
I think it's quite realistic.
It may be a metaphor but this is pretty much what takes place in our world.
On a large scale.. and even just one person passing on abuse to another who passes on abuse to another.
Mar 7, 2011 5:21 PM

Jun 2009
How twisted being humans are. “We haven’t had a war, nobody has died” – In the two “fighting” countries, that’s it. It’s like a game. A very sick game. “Let’s see who can kill more Tatatans and that’s who wins this war, this time!” It’s like they don’t consider them to humans, just animals, or mere things that are there just for them to sort out their differences in this perverse way – if there’s no casualty between them, then everything is OK.

“And that sacrifice absolutely cannot be our children”— Ha, other peoples’ children don’t matter, do they? Human selfishness reaches unimaginable heights.

And yet, we see. What we thought were the innocent victims are not so innocent anymore. Just because they want to take out their frustration, their anger and all the anguish they feel. No matter on who, it’s the same. One always fall lowly, trying to seek revenge. Wars are hopeless, there’s no way out of the hole; we only dig on further.

It’s futile. Even if they change wars for sports, or videogames competitions, someone will feel unhappy and suggest the idea of war once again. It’s a vicious circle. It’s impossible to free of it. We’re, in real life, in the same situation, aren’t we?
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jun 10, 2011 8:04 AM

Nov 2007
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Cold War yet. This seemed to be a (simplified) satire of that to me.

This was probably the most pessimistic episode of this show yet. The subtitle of "the Beautiful World" has never been more ironic. So much unnecessary bloodshed and death.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Aug 9, 2011 4:11 AM
Mar 2011
I thought the end was quite interesting, in the way that Kino reacted to killing that man. She was clearly shaken, and we've never seen her like that before. She always stays so calm.

I wondered what she was thinking at that moment, and the thought sturck me - was she comparing herself to the two warring countries? They killed the Tatatans in order to keep peace amongst themselves and protect their citizens. She killed the man in order to protect herself. Pehaps for a moment she really did understand how the curator felt.

A very interesting ending to a fantastic episode.
Oct 23, 2011 1:06 PM
Apr 2009
Im actually impressed at the responses here. That people took to it so personally means that the episode did a good job of building a bond between people. Similar to school days where despite hating the show, you get drawn in and get emotionally involved with the show.

Kino so far has been an epceptional anime as it makes you think due to good writing. Yet it has always touched on my reason this is the first time my emotions have been hit and im positevely shocked.

Too most people saying kino should have gotten involved, if she did she woulnd't be who she is if she did. Think of her as someone who follows the prime-directive of star trek, but not out of any false sense of morality. She is a traveler, she merely observes. Its like an anthropologist who stuides other cultures. You are there to observe and learn from them, not change it.

Couldnt help but feel the parralells between this episode and the hundred years war in france. They'd be figthing on and off never really accomplishing anything in the long run. Wasnt until france fought the english off france that the conflict ended (which didnt stop em from participating in the crusades).

The one thing i didnt see is that there wasnt anything that was gained through this sideshow. Would have made more sense if the winner of the game gets territories etc.... This would make things even more interesting since it would mirror tribal warfare yet with modern arms, an interesting contrast.
Dec 4, 2011 10:03 PM

May 2010
THAT CURATOR WAS A WOMAN!????
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 21, 2011 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
What an excellent episode. Parallels reality all too well, in frightening ways.

I absolutely loved the ending scene, with the massacred people being EXACTLY like their killers. They need an outlet, anyone, to torture and kill simply for the purpose of feeling avenged.

It's a vicious cycle, that doesn't end. There's so much truth in this episode that it stings.

Once again, Kino no Tabi delivers poignancy and reality with as blunt an instrument as cinema can allow.

11/10, and unfortunately onto the next and LAST episode! :(
Jan 3, 2012 2:44 PM

Mar 2011
What a bunch of cowards.
Jan 13, 2012 10:38 PM

Dec 2011
Do they not fear retribution?
Feb 17, 2012 3:49 PM

Feb 2012
Vietnam war was the first thing that came to my mind, although as someone pointed out already, Cold War in general was the target of the satire. Not that this kind of thinking would be completely in the past even now, from military support and arms trade to clear alliances.
Mar 20, 2012 9:05 PM

Jan 2012
So they transformed war over a territory into some sort of killing-fest sport competition just to justify their needs to kill?

Call me stupid, but this solution doesn't make sense at all in both reality and satire sense. Is it possible? Yes, but it would take 2 countries full of mentally deranged individuals to make it happen, which is very unlikely in BOTH fictional and today's world logically speaking.

Let's go through this logic step by step using (fictional) real world example:

1. USA goes to war with Russia because they both want unoccupied land called Spain
2. They fought for many years until they're out of resources to fight each other
3. They both do not want to lose their loved ones any more, so they decided to talk/make deal
4. Common sense logic would dictate that they both ceasefire, make peace treaty and divide Spain equally to end the war
5. But the logic this anime used is very flawed. IN ADDITION to ceasefire, USA and Russia both proposed that they have a killing competition against a defenseless country (aka France) annually JUST TO VENT their feeling of competitiveness, hostility, and cruelty (in which all human possess) that they have towards each other. (strong wtf logic)

The problem I have with this is why would they use the word 'WAR' instead of 'Competition'. Now I understand that USA and Russia still hate each other and ready to kill at any given moment, BUT WHY resort to killing the innocents WHILE acting like they're BEST FRIENDS? They should be ripping each other's throat apart instead of they're not mentally challenged.

A more simplified example:

1. Bob kills your wife
2. You found out Bob was the culprit
3. You go and kill Bob's wife in revenge
4. You don't want to lose your son, so you call Bob and have a talk
5. Both you and Bob agreed to not kill each other's son and daughter
6. Both also agreed not to kill each other because they want their raise their children
6. As years passed, both you and Bob still can't get over the fact that their wife were killed by the other
7. Both you and Bob felt the need to vent and still hates each other
8. So, you and Bob had another heart-to-heart chat to come up with a solution
9. You and Bob then decided to have a yearly competition where you both goes to a defenseless small town of poverty and see whoever can kill the most people in a given time. The loser has to buy the winner a bottle of whiskey.
10. What the fuck kind of logic is that?

TLDR; Don't get me wrong, I'm completely fine with all other messages/satires the anime was trying to convey. I just have a problem with the logic they used for this ONE part.
LunaMay 28, 2013 2:57 AM
Apr 29, 2012 11:20 PM

Apr 2012
I agree that this episode was messed up.. but it truly does point out how human nature works... to find peace or to settle a difference a lot of times its taken out on the weaker party, in order to keep the peace, and that in turn causes the weaker party to take their anger out on those weaker than them... hatred gives rise to more hatred, a cycle that will never truely end. It's sad to think that people cant coexist peacefully without someone looking for a reason for conflict, but thats how human nature is.
Jul 1, 2012 12:36 AM

Feb 2012
I’m glad I finally found an episode of the series I really love. This episode brought up two important ideas that concern war and conflict. The first is that war must be brought to its natural conclusion for peace to emerge, and the second is that one of the greatest sins in International Relations is to be weak.

For a war to truly end, someone must win. The Cold War would still be going on if the Soviet Union still existed. It is extremely fortunate for the world that the Communism practiced by the Soviet Union was an unsustainable practice and lead to their own internal collapse. However, the Cold War was never truly a war because the two sides never directly fought. It was peace, but it was a toxic. The only way for those two countries in the show to ever find true peace would require the destruction of one of the countries.

“The strong do what they will, and the weak suffer what they must.” It is unfair about what happened to the indigenous people in that show, but that is how life works. Powerful countries exploit weaker countries even to this day. It is cleaner now; the age of colonization is over so now exploitation is more economical.

It is a popular position to take in this world to state that war is an unnecessary evil that must be stop wherever it is found. Unfortunately, that view tends to forget that war has been one of the major sources of social change in human history. An example would be that democracy was born through war. The only people who would truly benefit the most form the end of war would be the people who are already well off right now, which I assume would be most of the people who visit this site.
Aug 19, 2012 11:30 PM

Sep 2011
Those people at the end... their logic was terrible. LOL
Aug 20, 2012 12:25 AM

Mar 2010
Joel_Shelton said:
Very disturbing episode. The battle scene went nicely with the music, that scene reminded me a lot of the scene in Apocalypse Now, where Duavall uses Wagner during battle.

I agree, but it's not just the music: the bridge, the trees, the eye superimposed over it at the end, it's totally Apocalypse Now!

In fact I feel like it was very intentional as both this episode and Apocalypse Now are about the way humans interact with humans who are fundamentally different from themselves.

Also, as for everyone who said that Kino should have intervened in the situation, this is clearly meant as a reflection of our own world and the way in which the western USA centric world interacts with the more indigenous populations of the earth, specifically the middle east in contemporary (the people at the end essentially rationalized a reason for turning to terrorism like acts.) No matter what side you find yourself on (though I'm willing to bet that if you have time to discuss anime, and obviously I count myself among that group, you will fall in with the previous group) the conflict is a closed system and far to large and elaborate for one individual to do affect in anyway.

However, we did just all watch this episode of Kino's Journey and we could all see how truly horrible the world presented to us was...
Dec 26, 2012 10:41 PM
Aug 2011
All this people above me actually (!) trying to prove what is shown in the episode is wrong and illogical is pathetic. That is not what you should extract from the episode, or should I say, you people trying to prove (to who) something that obvious is futile. You have to seek for the message within it.
Jan 12, 2013 1:40 PM

Dec 2012
There were so many things to take from this episode, but the biggest one for me was how humans pass on pain and hatred. When one person wrongs another, they cause that person pain which gives birth to hatred. That person then passes it on to another person who has nothing to do with the sources of their suffering and continues a vicious and nearly endless cycle.

I've always loved how this series makes me ponder on and question reality, there's so much to learn from each episode.
Mar 17, 2013 6:25 AM

May 2012
Well that was different than I first thought what would happen, that concept sure is hmm rather disturbing...

It was an interesting concept but yea quite wrong and disturbing...
Good episode though but I don't really know how I should feel about this...
Apr 25, 2013 8:05 PM

Mar 2013
Tinky-Winky said:
skullking123 said:
wow talk about being ignorant, those guys getting massacred shouldve just left DUH!!!

LOL yeah.

Those two countries were jst plain selfish and half-assed... attacking unarmed ppl like that... sheesh...
kino should have just suggested like lazertag or a stun gun like in ender's game
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
May 24, 2013 11:46 AM

Oct 2010
OriginANIME said:
Those people at the end... their logic was terrible. LOL

I disagree, they were constantly getting slaughtered in a so-called "war", so they needed someone that they could vent their frustration and hatred against, even if they weren't apart of that country. They messed up choosing Kino, though.

One of the best episodes of the series so far for me. Her logic was correct, but disturbing.
May 25, 2013 7:15 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode
May 29, 2013 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was so sad.
May 31, 2013 4:04 AM
Jul 2018
They treated war like some kind of game. It was horrible seeing them kill innocent people accompanied with music and end the war by seeing which country had the most points.
Jul 31, 2013 3:38 AM

Aug 2010
"Once you become pregnant and feel the warmth of your child..."

For me, this was the strongest moment in the entire episode. The overexaggerated and flawed logic aside with which Kino no Tabi explores issues to convey messages, could anyone be absolutely sure, that in the event of a person he/she loves unconditionally and the most on this planet, would not do something morally wrong to save them? 5/5.
Aug 2, 2013 11:00 AM

Mar 2010
wow crazy people are crazy
Sep 9, 2013 8:59 PM

Aug 2010
Those people at the end chose the wrong person to mess with. Two wrongs don't make a right. They may have been suffering a lot but that doesn't give them a right to torture an innocent person.
Nov 21, 2013 4:30 PM

Nov 2011
Nice lady, using personal reasons to create this new concept of war, it's obvious that she shouldn't have decided it because she has a trauma caused by the deaths of her family on previous wars.

Sure their families are safer this way, but this is too selfish.

They turned war to a summer festival, where you have to take down bottles with a playing gun to win teddy bears as prize.
fablionNov 21, 2013 4:34 PM
Dec 24, 2013 6:11 AM
Oct 2011
it's a terrible cycle of violence but I agree.. there's always a sacrifice to achieve peace. like what the curator said, what other option do they have?
Dec 24, 2013 10:26 AM

Jun 2013
After reading most of the comments, it seems to me like everyone's comments are complete understatements... The scene where the villagers were killed provoked the most powerful feelings in me. Does nobody understand the absurd senselessness that all the characters and roles have in this episode?

It's obvious to the extreme that the two countries were wrong and completely insane, but what surprised me was Kino's reaction to it - she was especially emotionless and deadpan this episode. It makes me wonder - is she bottling all these feeling inside her, or does she feel it's something she faces all the time so she's used to it and it is not comparable to things she has experienced before. In that case, this episode really opens the possibilities to Kino's inside feelings and how she reacts to certain events.

Hermes, as usual, is a demonic piece of metal mimicking human thoughts but really has no feelings at all. He is always the one who never reacts enough and is so chill all the time - maybe Kino is getting influenced by him? Generally, I do like Hermes but most of the time, like in this episode, he seems robotic and harsh. This would be good in most anime, because it would allow for some comedic value, but in this anime it is brutal.

The villagers I also despised in this episode - sure they are victims and everything, but why are they not doing a thing about it? This vicious cycle is continued by them (travellers who managed to escape or people from the two countries who went travelling and returned could have told the two countries about the attacking villagers and further reinforced the twisted idea that war is necessary and it is fine for the strong to hurt the weak to survive) and they are just like the two countries, murdering innocent people for no reason. Also, they are obviously very unintelligent - having not thought of the idea that they could just move away or run away secretly. If their village was so special to them, then why have they not adapted to this by building underground or somehow infiltrating the two countries and dealing vengeance there?

Anyway, the episode was very good in that it demonstrated the ideas I talked about such as their vicious cycle and blindness to an easier option - diplomacy could have prevented the war 200 years before. Also, it was another great addition to the shocking selection of countries to NOT move to. I may be taking this too seriously as this anime does tend to exaggerate certain themes and principles to get the point across and be memorable, it is just an anime in the end.
Dec 30, 2013 4:45 AM

Oct 2012
Well that was pretty fucked up ._.
Jan 23, 2014 2:25 AM

Aug 2008
Ironically, the only effective way for war to truly end is to eliminate self-consciousness which includes the desire to commit crime which is war. I guess the wise man's country in the previous episode had a point but then again, that is Kino's world - a world full of contradictions.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Jan 24, 2014 4:57 PM

May 2009
Very powerful episode, one of the best by far. It takes everything to an extreme in order to portray the absurdity of war and its consequences.
Feb 21, 2014 8:04 AM

May 2013
This is our reality. War is everywhere, fucking disgusting people.
Apr 1, 2014 11:52 PM

Aug 2013
That was utterly despicable. When they mentioned the Tatatan village I felt my stomach turn. Everyone in those two countries is sick in the head. The village isn't any better at all. How about they just go to the other two countries and do something about it? Or better yet, move away so they don't get slaughtered like cattle?

After this episode, it makes me think maybe it would do the world some good if some people really do get robbed of their self-consciousness, just like in episode 11.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 5, 2014 5:50 PM

Jun 2013
LOL anti-war propaganda. Yeah they can just go and shove it up their ass. Total fucking loss of respect for this anime. How disgusting.

Also I can't believe the all the idiots in this thread are just eating this shit up. Goes to show how easily influenced the weak minded are.
ex_necrossApr 5, 2014 6:04 PM
Apr 20, 2014 5:32 AM

Oct 2012
ex_necross said:
LOL anti-war propaganda. Yeah they can just go and shove it up their ass. Total fucking loss of respect for this anime. How disgusting.

Also I can't believe the all the idiots in this thread are just eating this shit up. Goes to show how easily influenced the weak minded are.

Wouldn't it technically be pro-war since the episode portrayed an alternative to conventional warfare?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.