Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2011 6:31 PM

Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I know some people praised the character development of Vegeta a lot considering what he had (or will, rather) go through. But does anyone think they kind of rushed Piccolo's character?
I mean, I know he doesn't go all soft after this but still....
LunaDec 6, 2013 5:24 AM

Nov 16, 2013 2:57 PM

May 2012
Haha the over 9000 (8000) scene was pretty enjoyable to see, and tbh the actual video where the meme is based upon has way better voice acting than the actual American dub xD

Pretty nice and lets see how Goku owns this time!
Dec 7, 2013 6:35 PM

Jun 2009
Boba_Fett said:
Haha the over 9000 (8000) scene was pretty enjoyable to see, and tbh the actual video where the meme is based upon has way better voice acting than the actual American dub xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik - That's the scene. Seems you don't know very much about the history of DBZ dubbinb. "the actual video" and "the actual American dub". The previous video I linked is a video of the ocean dub, the dub you almost assuredly watched is the Funimation Dub. They're both very valid DBZ dubs although Funimation is definitely more well known, this scene in particular is more well known from the ocean dub. Here's the dub comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAg5ffjikfw
Jan 29, 2014 12:17 PM

Jan 2014
Tyestor said:
Boba_Fett said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik - That's the scene. Seems you don't know very much about the history of DBZ dubbinb. "the actual video" and "the actual American dub". The previous video I linked is a video of the ocean dub, the dub you almost assuredly watched is the Funimation Dub. They're both very valid DBZ dubs although Funimation is definitely more well known, this scene in particular is more well known from the ocean dub. Here's the dub comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAg5ffjikfw

I prefer this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjJESro1HiY :))))
Jun 24, 2015 12:24 PM

Feb 2014
Damn, Piccolo and Kami-sama are both dead!!
But yes, Goku is finally here and Nappa is getting his ass kicked!!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Dec 6, 2015 10:22 AM

Apr 2014
Piccolo sacrifices himself for Son Gohan, he and God are dead, the Dragon Balls don't exist anymore! And finally, Son Goku has arrived. After that, the legendary "Over 9000" scene!
Jan 5, 2016 1:07 AM

Dec 2015
Goku is back!

...Finally.
Jan 17, 2016 8:02 PM

Aug 2013
Man that scream Gohan did when Piccolo died was so epic, props to the voice actress for pulling off such a great yell. And of course the infamous phrase that spawned one of the notorious memes.
May 1, 2018 1:39 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
piccolo .... first death i am sad about

Sep 13, 2018 5:21 AM

Jul 2008
I'll say it again, Piccolo for father of the year.
Nov 18, 2019 4:08 AM

Mar 2010
Emotional death by Piccolo und strong connection with Gohan. If one watched the first Dragonball series nobody would have guessed things like this.

I was so confused by the Over 8000 scene, as I was sure it was the legendary Over 9000 scene. Can someone explain to me why they said Over 8000 in the german dub?

And why has Gokus strength increased that much? I mean it was maybe 1/8 of his current strength back vs Radditz and even the other Z fighters didnt came any close... Clear case of OP ;)
Nov 18, 2019 4:42 AM
Mar 2018
Voel said:
Can someone explain to me why they said Over 8000 in the german dub?

It's the correct translation.

Nov 19, 2019 1:35 AM

Mar 2010
Thanks. Yeah I saw there is even an own wiki page for it. So the famous 9000 thing was always fake (aka wrong translation), interesting. Never knew this.
Mar 14, 2020 5:41 PM
Jan 2020
IT'S OVER eight thousand.

kind of anti climactic from what i was expecting

when krillin said this is the angriest he's seen goku i remember thinking about how he was a lot angrier in the king piccolo arc but then i also remembered...

i feel like by now the manga adapted parts would slip up on canon but it's been really consistent so far
Jul 9, 2020 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
And thus, the origins of yet another legendary meme, even more so than the first due to its influence and relativity, was born and paved the way for a variety of future amusing memes.

Piccolo's death was sad. This is the first time and technically the last that he ever shed tears. At the start of the Dragon Ball Z series, Piccolo has been shown to have his arrogance, haughtiness, and temper curbed in enough to ally himself with his archnemesis, Goku. While it wasn't that much big of a deal, it was still a small start to his behavior change. His character development truly started once Gohan entered his life and kept gradually changing as months went on. Piccolo's initial death, while beautiful, is sorrowful.

Finally, Goku has reached the battlefield. The show did a great job of creating hype for Goku's imminent arrival. I just wanted someone to wipe the smirk off Nappa's face.
Jul 11, 2020 11:58 AM

Dec 2015
_Tokumei-no_ said:
While it wasn't that much big of a deal, it was still a small start to his behavior change.

In a way, there was already some (big?) change between the original, pure evil and desires, and its reincarnation born with a single goal. Then almost losing that goal after his target spared him (even though he trained further for that) , over the three years ellipse, and "finding" something else to care for to root in his mind, a soil that was from beginning definitely more fertile than Piccolo Daimaô, a literal devil.`

(zut, the sentences seem horrible)
Jul 11, 2020 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
Rei_III said:
_Tokumei-no_ said:
While it wasn't that much big of a deal, it was still a small start to his behavior change.

In a way, there was already some (big?) change between the original, pure evil and desires, and its reincarnation born with a single goal. Then almost losing that goal after his target spared him (even though he trained further for that) , over the three years ellipse, and "finding" something else to care for to root in his mind, a soil that was from beginning definitely more fertile than Piccolo Daimaô, a literal devil.`

(zut, the sentences seem horrible)

Well, my reasoning stems from Piccolo's violent behavior and mannerisms back in the last saga of the original Dragon Ball. They appeared to mirror his father, King Piccolo. Only after he spent three years training in hopes of a rematch did his attitude somewhat diminish. But yes, I get what you are saying, but if King Piccolo hadn't been offed, Piccolo Jr. wouldn't have had a single goal, a desire, that already distinguished him from his late father.
Jul 15, 2020 8:08 PM

May 2020
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2020 12:35 PM
May 2019
Piccolo sacrificed himself for Gohan - he really has had a change of heart. I'm glad he didn't just consist of pure evil but found someone he cared about. Piccolo's demise enraged Gohan and caused his battle power to crease immensely. It's a shame it's all wasted due to Gohan's lack of fighting experience. The saiyans are far more experienced. The only one that will even be able to damage them would be Goku at this point. I absolutely loved his entrance as well. Seeing the demise of his comrades made him seem extremely confident, as well as causing his power level to increase.
Oct 14, 2020 1:09 AM

Nov 2018
Obligatory "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!" quote. Finally experienced that meme for real now.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Mar 21, 2021 11:35 AM

Oct 2020
Piccolo Junior had a very short life. He was just lived 9 years. But he really lived the last year of his life, with Gohan. They had really a good time. I hope Piccolo didn't regret his short life span. But he was happy in his last moments. Gohan standing for him was amazing.

So finally he is here. Goku is horrifyingly strong now. Even Vegeta was shocked to see him. He become pale after those readings. Now Nappa will understand what power is and also what is revenge. Goku making him suffer is good. But he better be making sure that both of them dies. They aren't someone worth to be lived.

Looks like there is still hope and it is on Mr. Poppo now. According to Kami Dragon Balls can be made if they find a Nemekian. I hope they better find one then I think Chioutzou also can be brought back as there will be a new dragon to grant wish.

Those Saiyan's should suffer before they die. They should face the shame before death
Nov 12, 2023 3:12 PM

Jul 2021
glad to see goku finally arrive at the battlefield (ITS OVER 9000)

Nov 30, 2023 3:08 PM

Oct 2018
The over 9000 thing, I know from Tenkaichi 3 but now I watched Japanese dub. So it's over 8000.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 226 Discussion

11 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 225 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 3:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.