MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo Episode 1 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo »» Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
View Poll Results: Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo Episode 1 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

85 50.30%
4 out of 5: Liked it

42 24.85%
3 out of 5: It was OK

26 15.38%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

9 5.33%
1 out of 5: Hated it

7 4.14%
Voters: 169

10-16-11, 2:17 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So anybody else go to NYAF and catch the screening? Makoto Shinkai himself was there introducing it. A very different movie than what 5 cm/s was about. It was still a very beautifully made movie. Great visuals as always and great soundtrack by Tenmon once again. I'm very eager to see what Makoto Shinkai has up his sleeve next.

10-16-11, 4:31 PM

Saw this at NYAF. Overall, it's great. But there's a fine fine line between complex and convoluted, and Makoto Shinkai was flirting a little too much with that line. It's his first time attempting a movie like this though, so it's understandable.

9/10.

10-16-11, 4:50 PM

It was an excellent film, although I think for now my 5 Centimeters Per Second is still my favorite. Unlike 5 Centimeters Per Second though, I feel like this film definitely succeeded in what Shinkai wanted to do by reaching a wider audience. It felt very much like a Ghibli movie but I am glad to see it still had his touch as well.

Anyways I feel like I need to see the movie again before I can get a full feel of it, but I can easily say that this is worth watching for everyone. I am glad I got the opportunity to see this at NYCC, and I look forward to owning it on dvd/bluray as soon as its released.

It was also very nice to see Shinkai, he seemed like a really great guy which just makes me a fan of him even more. I hope to see him again sometime in the future, perhaps at the anime screening of his next film.

11-17-11, 1:44 PM

Where was this movie shown exacly?
xxx

11-26-11, 10:59 AM
News Team
The girl with Shun and Shin is voiced by Kanae Itou.

The people like Shun and Shin cannot live on land for a long time, so Shun died after giving her a kiss on forehead. He sang a mysterious (final) song and Asuna heard it. Shin is more obedient to village leader in mission. while Shun is a dreamer.

The sub is kind of suspicious for being in the society that is opposing the people underground, just for a simple reason.

People on ground attacked the underworld, so the people hate them.

Real "Ketorutoru" looks like the "tall man" in Laputa.

Awww~, both like Shun.

Meaning of living?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

11-28-11, 8:59 AM

Awesome visuals and sound...but the plot was presented in an incredibly shallow way for such mature themes covered in this anime. Nearly two hours long filled with more questions than answers. The idea would be better for use in a TV Series , not in a single feature length movie. Damn shame.

7/10

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."

11-29-11, 1:44 AM

Good story, good concept, awesome visual. But, lots of flaw her and there. What happened Shinkai-san? Aw, LOLOLOLOL..... AAAAARRRGGGHHH.... (I think I'm gonna crazy)

"Therefore, she could hold on even if other people showered her with curious looks or disdainful laughter.
Although she was cooped up in a small house, it was the world to her."
(Nishizono Yuuko)

11-29-11, 2:59 PM

kashim said:
Nearly two hours long filled with more questions than answers.

This. Especially the ending felt cut off.

Asuna was quite the weak main character.

11-30-11, 5:59 AM

That was nice, but it felt a bit unfinished. Still pretty good, it was also a bit refreshing to see an MC where they're completely fucking normal, with nothing special at all, expect that Asuna coincidentally had a clavis fragment.
Also as expected, the art was fucking beautiful.
Modified by Onii, 11-30-11, 6:08 AM

11-30-11, 11:05 AM

I was extremely dissapointed by this new Shinkai movie and for the first time I even had a lot of problems with it. It's not the script in itself nor the direction that were bad but I honestly fiund it very difficult to focus on a movie when most of it isn't original material and two thirds of the scenes, backgrounds, character art, visual expressions, animation and dialogue lines have already been used by another director (namely Hayao Miyazaki). Heck, some entire scenes are taken FRAME BY FRAME from Mononoke Hime (for example Ashitaka/Shin's departure from his village), others from Laputa, Shin is Ashitaka, Asuna Satsuki, Manna Mei, part of the concept coming from Nausicaä, the other from Laputa and so on. It's very difficult not to feel a cruel lack of scenaristic talent and overall imagination on the part of Shinkai,which began to be obvious in 5 centimeters but is now totally blatant and shows that despite his small experience in the animation industry, he has probably used up all his creativity and won't ever do something as good as Hoshi no Koe in the future. And taking into account that there's more plagiarism than singularity in this movie, I can't decently score it higher than 7/10 despite the obvious musical and artistic quality.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

11-30-11, 6:28 PM

After Makoto Shinkai's previous works everyone have had very high expectations of Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo. Before watching the movie, thanks to the trailer release and short reviews, I had already knew it won't keep a nostalgic, lonely atmosphere which I really enjoyed in Byousoku 5 Centimeter and the others. I seem, however, unsatisfied when it comes to the story and plot in general. As a friend above mentioned, a plot seemed kind of shallow.

Visual art, on the other hand, compensates everything that story was lacking. All the images, whether character animations, close planes or distant backgrounds are well detailed and give a pretty, hand painted look. Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo, despite its little flaws, was a real pleasure to watch, especially for an art sensitive eye.

12-01-11, 4:10 PM

Disappointing. Looked nice but overall was a let down in the end.

Myanimelist is just a crappy game.

12-02-11, 4:28 AM

Not a Shinkai fan, but I was really excited for this because it looked very different from his usual stuff. And it is. Unfortunately, it is a very boring film. The journey felt mundane and the story never came together well at all.

5/10

12-02-11, 11:11 AM

Well, I'm kind of a habitual cynic but this work is undoubtedly awesome, and kept me intrigued all the way to the end.

12-02-11, 4:53 PM

Huge Shinkai fan. Seemed like he wanted to make a Ghibli film. Just no.

His best > any Ghibli.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。

12-03-11, 12:10 AM

What a bore! It's amazing how much effort, energy and budget you can put into a movie and everything goes to waste because they forgot the bread and butter of storytelling: dramaturgy. With all that "borrowing" from Ghibli it's supprising they managed to do even worse in terms of luke-warm stories. There's absolutly nothing remarkable happening and even the gorgeous visuals completly lose their effect in such abundance.

12-03-11, 11:00 AM

Méh, méh, méh.

Art and Visual is excellent, but only this.
All animals and gods that appear in this film seem to be a tribute to the Ghibli films. They all came from a Ghibli movie.
Similarly to recent Ghibli films, it is very simplistic.
A boredom.

12-03-11, 2:23 PM

5 cm per seconds was about letting go loved ones that were still alive.
This one is about letting go the loved ones that are dead.

Except in 5cm the message was very strong.

Now in that movie he decided to weaken the message he want to tell and offers us a fantasy-ghibli-style movie with almost no meaning to his images. I mean look at 5cm per seconds. The birds. The snow. The train. If you analyse it you can tell that those are metaphoric images. Now in this movie it's just what-you-see-is-what-you-get without deepness.

It's sad. Not the movie but the way it turned out.

Big let down. But the movie is still very watchable. I'ts just that he sacrified the deepness for the sake of a fantasy adventure.
Modified by ZaggyPlushie, 12-03-11, 2:40 PM

12-03-11, 3:39 PM

I wasn't disappointed. It was nice to see Shinkai try something different from what we've seen of him before, and it certainly did have a Ghibli adventure feel over it. The visuals were simply spectacular, as was expected, the music fit the movie nicely and the story was more than decent. It had flaws but it was still very enjoyable.

12-03-11, 9:15 PM

Yeah I have to agree with most people here. It's disappointing. Feels like a weak Ghibli film. The story nor the characters drew me in. It's a decent watch but that's pretty much it.

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices