Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2011 11:01 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Both dark hero stories sounds really good. Probably have a battle of one shots again.
Oct 16, 2011 11:15 AM

Sep 2008
Kira
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2011 11:52 AM

Dec 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
Kira

yup, that's what I was thinking as well in the beginning but you can see now that it won't be a copy of Death Note. Though I was afraid it would.

good chapter
Oct 16, 2011 12:07 PM

Jul 2009
Their manga is clearly Death Note, but I wonder if Ohba and Obata did that on purpose...
Oct 16, 2011 1:01 PM

Jun 2010
Yeah, Death Note it is, I like PCP much better. And I wonder how they'll manage the heroine - it looks like the anime with Azuki's voice is a possibility this time.
Eiji's piece seems interesting too, although zombies are not my thing.
Oct 16, 2011 1:01 PM

Dec 2010
Zell182 said:
Their manga is clearly Death Note, but I wonder if Ohba and Obata did that on purpose...

First concept seemed like it but the next one didn't. Of course black guy resembles Kira but white guy is completely dfferent from L and in Death Note there wasn't any fighting at all (with fists and special attacks).
Oct 16, 2011 1:06 PM

Nov 2009
This could be very well the last big arc of Bakuman before it ends. If so, this is one hell of a setting to end it with.
Oct 16, 2011 1:13 PM

Sep 2010
I think that bakuman will end when they gets anime anma mashiro and miho will live happy ever after. Anyway concept i liked concept of ashirogi more that ejis zombies, but i would like to read both of them as normal manga coming out every week. Still as someone said before, I would like to see the most PCP
Oct 16, 2011 1:14 PM

Mar 2010
For the first it really looked like DN I'm glad they evolved it into sth else. But still their story seems like it will be really difficult and complex. I liked Eiji's idea, It was really simple but might be boring, I mean I feel like I heard it somewhere before.

And this time it will be non-mainstream Eiji vs mainstream Ashirogi LOL they will never fight with the same thing xD So will we never get to know who is better? I'm not sure if I would be happy if it will be last arc of Bakuman or really sad. I don't want story to be dragged pointlessly and I don't want it to end yet. But wait, why I even thinking about it nobosy said it's ending arc xD
StripFeelingOct 16, 2011 1:20 PM
Sorry for my English ^^' If you notice any mistakes, please tell me about it ^^ Thanks for corrections ^^
Oct 16, 2011 2:38 PM

Apr 2009
That ending scene makes me think we might be nearing a conclusion! Both one-shots sound interesting. I'd read both of them if they were real.
Oct 16, 2011 2:40 PM

Feb 2008
Eiji's story is kinda interesting since his making a zombie as the hero. It feels more Western-like, which is necessary if he wants to be the "world's number one manga". But, even if it's different from Crow, the story is simple which suits Eiji well.

Ashirogi's, at first, kinda feels like Death Note. However, as Saiko changes the details, the two protagonists reminded me of Code Geass. The "demon of justice" has the philosophy of Lelouch. while the "hero of justice" has Suzaku's. But at the same time, they're breaking free from their usual non-mainstream ideas. They can easily put serious battle settings with serious laughs (since they had experience in doing a gag manga, Tanto).

Both Eiji and Ashirogi are doing a fantasy-themed manga, which is rare in Jump's roster. However, both of them has a hint of mainstream on it, "justice", "love", and "awesome battle scenes".

It's more like they are doing the same thing but with a different protagonists. Eiji's more a dark hero, but Ashirogi's are two protagonists depicting each of them as good and evil respectively. Sounds really a unique piece to be doing in Weekly Shounen Jump.

Well, I'm feeling kinda both manga will be serialized in Jump and they will battle it out which of them will got a long-running serialization and garner the 1st-place.
Oct 16, 2011 2:51 PM

Dec 2010
Everything they told about their new manga series was just screaming out to me DEATH NOTE...

I really want to see some of the series they mentioned in Bakuman serialized (other than Otter 11).. Like for example, Eiji's new manga.
Oct 16, 2011 4:04 PM

Nov 2007
at first it seemed Eiji's new manga was way better, but then once they expanded on the ideas they both sounded really good.

at first it sounded kinda Exorcist like with demon powers but then .... yeah Death Note. 2 protagonists and one thinks he's right even though his actions are bad, with police stuck in the middle.

perfect. much better than that PCP shit. I hope they show more designs and pages from the mangas as they both sound good.

this new series should give them a much better shot at an anime and taking the #1 spot. I can't see them continuing PCP though and I doubt they'll let them drop it.
Oct 16, 2011 4:21 PM

Jun 2011
Ashirogi's manga idea actually made me think of Blue Exorcist (until they changed it).
Nevertheless, this was a great chapter. Can't wait for next week.

Oct 16, 2011 6:39 PM

May 2011
Oh wow. For once, I actually like Ashirogi's piece better than Eiji's. But both are gonna be so good.

When Saiko first mentioned about the 2 protagonists and their conflicting ideas of justice and whatnot, I was just waiting for him to say, "And there'll be a notebook...It'll be called a 'Death Note', and..." I'm a little disappointed he didn't. ^_^V

But I love how they're emphasizing the epicness of their newest work, how everything they've done up until now, all 150 chapters, has been for this one, the birth of the piece that may actually beat Eiji's.

THIS is Bakuman <3
Oct 16, 2011 7:07 PM

Sep 2008
cool~ things are getting interesting again :D the manga they're planning to make reminds me a lot of Death Note xDD
Forest-kun said:
When Saiko first mentioned about the 2 protagonists and their conflicting ideas of justice and whatnot, I was just waiting for him to say, "And there'll be a notebook...It'll be called a 'Death Note', and..." I'm a little disappointed he didn't. ^_^V

i think that's because Death Note is already finished publishing in their time, lol
enya's life spent on MAL: September 21, 2008 to August 23, 2012
Oct 16, 2011 7:25 PM

Aug 2007
Sounds like an evolved version of Death Note. Very interesting.
Oct 16, 2011 7:41 PM

Nov 2008
Good chapter, both stories sound interesting, can't wait for the battle of one-shots.
Oct 16, 2011 11:01 PM

Jun 2010
Still their main point at the end about whoever wins is true justice does yell Death Note, regardless of the setup.
Oct 17, 2011 2:33 AM
Aug 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
Kira

I was a little afraid that it'll be like Death Note, I'm glad it's not ^^

I really like this chapters, I love when they're so passionate about their work :3
Oct 17, 2011 7:14 AM

Dec 2010
What an awesome chapter both manga's are awesome though i like Ashirogi muto more than Eiji's. Ending was really good as well "This is a Mainstream Battle manga Ashirogi Muto Style" What a line :D
Kinda feels like the conclusion is coming soon I think it may end when it reaches 200+chapters.
Oct 17, 2011 9:40 AM

Aug 2009
It's a reversal, with Ashirogi Muto going more mainstream and Eiji veering away from it.

Yeah, at first I was thinking Death Note, and how the notebook was so much cooler than just brainwashing, but afterwards with the introduction of the actual protagonist, I liked it better. Eiji's idea sounds cool, but I don't think I'd actually read it if it was a real manga.
Oct 17, 2011 10:58 AM

Oct 2007
everyone's saying death note death note but at the beginning it was pretty much an exact copy of Lost+Brain, very glad they revised it but im still not too sure how exciting a "battle" in this manga would be, if their only powers is changing other people's thoughts.
Oct 17, 2011 1:23 PM

Oct 2011
HawthorneKitty said:
Kira

Yesssss!
^_^

jvpski3.png
Oct 18, 2011 10:01 AM
Jul 2010
ahaha,
It's very deathnote dark hero esq but also the power he has seems very much taken from code geass.

Ok just finished... yay bakuman is getting good again, niizuma was really getting on my nerves.
BidaumOct 18, 2011 10:08 AM
Oct 19, 2011 4:44 AM

Oct 2010
i guess my idea didn't really went off with the rest...

Ashirogi's idea for their new manga really did seem like Death Note but probably will be shown in a different manner.
Oct 19, 2011 5:53 AM

Jun 2010
I don't know if they can beat Eiji but at least I want their dreams to come true before they turn into 25. I want more romance. No romance this past arcs!!
Oct 19, 2011 5:55 PM

Feb 2011
Well Eiji's story seems...original?
As for Ashirogi - saying that their story was 'inspired' by Death Note would be...a modest way of speaking? Anyhow I kinda liked it and it seems like they 'fixed' and upgraded some things from DN.

Well, this should be good.
Oct 20, 2011 3:46 PM

Jan 2010
Eiji's story = Sankarea
Ashirogi's story = Battle Death Note
Oct 20, 2011 9:52 PM
Mar 2011
Am I the only one that finds Saiko's idea to ruin the new manga? I'm all about putting in a "good" protagonist, but making the other one completely evil ruined it for me. In my opinion it would have been more interesting if both were heroes, just one more "gruesome" than the other. It would make it Index with psychological battles (and it would be awesome).

I would also leave actual fighting to a minimum, and when it does happen, I'd make them use their hypno-powers for fighting as well (no random shounen-like powers out of nowhere). Like implanting ideas to the opponent on how to attack next so that they can dodge, or implanting fear, or whatnot. And maybe make them use weaponry too.

Eiji's idea felt pretty rehashed, but when he said zombie I totally though Korean Desk Car, lol.
Oct 23, 2011 6:11 PM

Sep 2011
Eiji's idea Is the exact idea for #63 of the 70+ manga ideas I had written in 3 months......

Oh well, I wouldn't read it haha.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Nov 10, 2011 1:37 AM

Feb 2010
Now I believe I have seen somethign extremely funny in this chapter.

Having seen http://myanimelist.net/anime/8841/Kore_wa_Zombie_Desu_ka I can only say that Eiji's idea seems almost exactly the same as this anime/manga. Zombie with a heart who seeks revenge on his killer. Yes he's in love with a necromancer, not a human, but I find it hilarious.

Because of that all I can imagine is Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?, which is great in the fact it's just about the only Ecchi I've ever seen with a great plot in it, but is not the worlds best manga.

As for Ashirogi's new idea... well you have to realize the ones writing Bakuman also wrote Death Note... they happen to think that idea is genius and they can do best with it.
CrogLatteNov 10, 2011 1:42 AM
Nov 27, 2011 11:47 PM

May 2009
Has anyone here read Ultimo? It was created by Stan Lee ( Marvel Comics) and the guy that created Shaman King. It is about two robots created a long time ago, a Pure Good Robot Versus a Pure Evil Robot, Whoever wins decides which is better Good or Evil, They are complete opposites of each other and have the same kind of abilities...... basically throughout the whole time they were explaining this manga I thought of Ultimo and Death Note combined. Anyway interesting chapter a lot better than that whole arc with that company.
Jul 18, 2012 5:13 AM

Oct 2008
Death Note really reminded me of the basic plot but I guess the battle scenes make it different. I hope this beats Eiji's manga. Even though Eiji is my favorite, I think they deserve to win over him after all this time. But of course they have to be better than him!
May 5, 2014 1:54 PM

Aug 2007
Eiji's story sounded just like the base plot of Warm Bodies... Guy who is a zombie but retains some human emotions and falls for a girl. Without the battle-manga element. Ashirogi's new story is obviously supposed to remind us of Death Note. I never thought of DN as non-mainstream but mainstream, but when you consider the heavy theme of death throughout it, it really doesn't fit the audience perfectly... yet succeeds anyway. Pretty brill set-up.
Aug 14, 2014 4:29 PM

Apr 2013
So, their ultimate work will be Death Note? Although it seems much more interesting than that!
Apr 21, 2017 7:57 PM

Jan 2016
If Death Note was a battle manga...
Oct 20, 2020 2:32 AM

Jan 2020
Glad to see that Mashiro and Takagi have finally become able to write mainstream manga perfectly suitable for Jump. While non-mainstream is definitely their biggest strength, they had to start making their works more mainstream at one point after all. Fortunately, they did.
IrrelevantGuyOct 20, 2020 2:39 AM
Nov 22, 2021 5:42 PM

Dec 2007
the manga takagi and mashiro are talking was in the start death note with demon, not long after that it became death note with demon but with battle lol.
eiji on the other hand reminds me a lot inuyasha with the whole thing of half human half demon/zombie, from some reason it's seems intended. but the more i think about it i believe inuyasha seems better since in inuyasha he's willing to become demon but get in love with human, that sense makes it better.
that's make me cheer for ashirogi more, though they ending up making mainstream battle, the idea and story itself seems like only takagi could think of, the mainstream battle is addition of mashiro.

really liked where they connected the nanamine return arc to this one, it feels like ohba did the 'less shounen' in nanamine's work for that intention.
Apr 16, 2022 11:43 PM

Sep 2021
I love the death note self insert. Given that they don't actually talk much about the series themselves after the concepts are created, I don't mind it
Sci-Fi Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2023 6:51 PM

Oct 2017
Lol I love how their idea is so similar to Death Note (a mc with a twisted sense of justice who gets his power from a demon). That made me smile :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 144 Discussion

Naokohiro - Aug 21, 2011

39 by Adriannitro »»
Apr 2, 7:39 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 22 Discussion

Kirstenx - Jan 23, 2009

39 by tectacles »»
Mar 5, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 21 Discussion

Faust721 - Jan 16, 2009

38 by tectacles »»
Mar 5, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 16 Discussion

Jello - Nov 28, 2008

29 by tectacles »»
Feb 13, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 15 Discussion

Faust721 - Nov 20, 2008

31 by tectacles »»
Feb 13, 12:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.