Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 1, 2013 9:09 PM
Dec 2010
Since noone posted this earlier, I really enjoyed the reaction to Asahina's maid costume:
Oct 23, 2013 12:05 AM

Sep 2013
best episode of the series!
Dec 21, 2013 5:43 PM

Jan 2011
I felt like i heard "God knows" in some other anime before, because i had heard it that often long before i ever started watching Haruhi, guess that shows it's popularity.
Dec 25, 2013 7:51 PM
Oct 2013
Very lovely episode indeed.

Does anyone know the song that plays when kyon first enters the auditorium? It sound very familiar and I want to say Zelda, but I'm not too sure. Thanks!
Dec 28, 2013 11:59 PM

Mar 2012
So going by the chronological order, this was the beginning of endless 8 of season 2, it was okay, will just skip the other 7. After endless is Sigh of Haruhi followed by episode 0 with Mikuru then ep. 12,11, and 9 of first season broadcast order....so complicated...

So episode 26, Haruhi during the cultural festival was awesome. Doesn't seem like such a selfish person anymore.
ninja88880Dec 29, 2013 5:30 PM
Jan 16, 2014 5:54 AM

Dec 2012
♥♥

- barely alive -
Aug 29, 2014 8:59 PM

Oct 2013
Ahhhhh, "God Knows" in particular was just great. I love when I'm watching an English dub and it dubs the songs with the English voice actor as well. Wendee Lee can sing!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 9, 2014 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
The infamous Endless Eight (the chronological order)
~I can't say I was really bored, but I wasn't impressed either.
I didn't expect much from this arc anyway.
Nov 30, 2014 12:29 PM

Jan 2014
theeggman85 said:
I have finally seen the legendary scene. I AM COMPLEEEEETE

I remember finding this clip on YouTube and being like :o :o I need to watch this anime NOW xD now it's :o :o I need to download those songs NOW

So they're forming a band, huh? Is the product of that perhaps the dancing we see in the ending theme then?

nostripe361 said:
did anyone notice the guy/girl dressed up as a pink cat and acting like an animal at the front gate or was it just me. because that freaked me the heck out

I totally noticed this LOL
laputiaNov 30, 2014 12:33 PM
Dec 11, 2014 10:12 AM

Jan 2012
they are enjoying summer , and I am having here cold winter
unfair
btw this is the Endless Eight ep 12 (the chronological order)

Oct 5, 2015 3:02 PM
Feb 2015
My favourite episode so far

Haruhi sings like a goddess, plus she made me laugh so much when she threw the grass and it came back in har face xD
Feb 17, 2016 5:45 PM

Jan 2013
[Watching in broadcast order]

Holy ... Haruhi has a beautiful singing voice, absolutely LOVED the song.
Yuki's solo was pretty good aswell.

Haruhi is so cute :D
Kyon tapping his finger to the beat.

This has got to be one of my favourite episodes so far.
Love how excited Haruhi got when she decided to make a band with Kyon.
Apr 27, 2016 9:56 AM

Nov 2012
[Broadcast order]
Really liked Haruhi's performance (more so God knows over the first song).

Also like the ending scene with Haruhi and Kyon.
May 24, 2016 5:19 AM

Mar 2015
Endless 8

I dont like Haruhi in this episode because she is too selfish without asking their permission to go out with activities. Slice of life episode. All the different activities contained in just one episode. Talking about wasting no time.

3.25/5
Jan 14, 2017 8:32 AM
Jun 2016
Yes, the magical Haruhi and equally magical Yuki being able to help put on a rock show in an hour is nice, but what impressed me was that Koizumi's class was doing "Rosencratz And Guildenstern Are Dead" as their play, and Koizumi had one of the lead roles. It is an incredibly intricate and dialogue heavy play. No wonder he was so worried about it during the filming of their movie.

I mean, really, consider that he had to remember a speech like this "Wheels have been set in motion, and they have their own pace, to which we are...condemned. Each move is dictated by the previous one - that is the meaning of order. If we start being arbitrary it'll just be a shambles: at least, let us hope so. Because if we happened, just happened to discover, or even suspect, that our spontaneity was part of their order, we'd know that we were lost. A Chinaman of the T'ang Dynasty - and, by which definition, a philosopher - dreamed he was a butterfly, and from that moment he was never quite sure that he was not a butterfly dreaming it was a Chinese philosopher. Envy him; his two-fold security. "

Color me impressed!
Jan 15, 2017 1:00 PM

Aug 2011
Ok, I love the song God Knows and am enjoying the anime but which episode/season does it appear? I watched ep 12 the other night and didn't see it. I am stuck in the time loop arc. Let me know ... thanks

Active Military, Prior Service and Veteran's Anime Club
do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
Aug 10, 2017 6:37 AM

Jul 2008
The infamous endless 8 at episode 12? Oh boy, time to strap in.
Sep 19, 2017 10:47 PM

Sep 2013
Not bad. Kind of uneventful.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 8, 2017 5:55 AM

Dec 2015
Lovely episode, one of the best in the series. Season 1 is sooo much better than s2, this was the Haruhi everyone wanted to see. The performance was a pleasant surprise 😊

What I loved was the continuity between the seasons, especially with Kyon remembering Asahina's invitation for soba.
~
Mar 27, 2018 10:25 AM

Feb 2018
Wow so many positive comments, for me this was the worst and very pointless episode (the only one I didn't like so far), felt like they ran out of ideas, so they just made *something* for 20 minutes. Giant waste of time, only last 2 minutes were nice and served some purpose.
1/5
May 3, 2018 5:21 PM

Sep 2017
The summer tasks quest.

I hate Haruhi. She is a bitch. This episode justified that. I hate Kyon's monologue during every activity and the fact that he is basically submitting to Haruhi. I hope this ends quickly, so that I don't have to worry anymore about this shit. No character development, no plot, no motivation at all. This series is possibly the most worst I have seen in a long time. Haruhi reminds me of the religious cults and fanatics I see outside my door asking for donations and unwanted shit.

Kyon should have had a rocket shoved up his ass for recklessly riding the active rockets on the back of his bicycle.
JeremiahOrangeMay 3, 2018 5:26 PM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 8, 2018 9:48 AM

May 2016
That was amazing I love how Haruhi enjoys her life to the fullest.
Kyon sure is in a pinch for not finishing his homework.
Oct 13, 2018 5:15 PM

Aug 2017
wow this was a really epic episode blew me to pieces! I was not expecting haruhi to sing that song so well especially when she had barely any time to practise. this episode is going to be a classic in my books
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2019 5:55 PM

Apr 2015
Are we sure this isn't the prototype to K-On?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 27, 2019 7:45 AM

Feb 2019
One of the best episodes of the series, possibly my favourite. The music was awesome, and after seeing Haruhi being a major blunder in a lot of things she just decides to do (like in baseball lol), it was really nice seeing her being just downright awesome. I've been listening to the song way before I started watching it, because it's just that good (kudos to Aya Hirano). Haruhi seemed a bit different on stage though.

Haruhi in this episode sure is cute. How she just didn't know how to feel about being thanked by someone was cute and really defines her character. Kyon and Haruhi are made for each other. That scene under the tree was very cute, it's not often you see a serious yet melancholic Haruhi and that was really nice and refreshing.

Gotta love this series.
Jan 14, 2020 7:59 AM
Apr 2016
A fun way to spend summer vacation! A fun episode, but that's about it.
Feb 2, 2020 7:07 PM

Feb 2019
Rewatched it as part of the second season broadcast order. The moment they start performing still gives me goosebumps. And I still can't get over how cute Haruhi is in this particular episode, also some tsundere moments lol
Apr 9, 2020 4:38 AM

May 2011
The last scene changed much of the whole tone surrounding Haruhi and her development. It's these character complexities that make her the solid character she is, despite her flaws. I laughed pretty good at the grass being thrown.
Jun 7, 2020 2:15 PM

May 2018
how tf is Kyon not broke after paying for everyone xD
Oct 6, 2020 5:21 AM

Mar 2020
Well, it begins. I've always found the culture surrounding this show to be quite endearing, even if I'm just now getting around to watching this series. However, if the endless 8 are anything like this episode I expect this show to get insufferable really quickly. The mild slice of life plot is where this series loses me, especially when compared to the first half of the series. There's still some interesting ideas (such as how Haruhi probably caused the weather to be perfect and can seemingly read Kyon's mind), but overall there isn't too much to grab onto and think about.

The new op/ed are garbage btw. Maybe it's because I've been obsessively listening to Bouken Desho Desho for the past couple of days, but I really don't like them.
Mar 15, 2021 4:47 PM

Jun 2014
Looks like they had fun over the summer vacation, although making Kyon pay the bill every time was kinda cruel. At one point, he left a 5000 yen bill, which is about $50, which is quite a bit for a teenager to pay for meals.

And lol at the "69" t-shirt that Haruhi was wearing at one point.

Apr 4, 2021 12:59 AM
Jul 2018
Bout frickin time I watched another episode.

Anyways, nice wholesome episode, love it! ^_^
May 10, 2021 7:35 PM

Jan 2019
Huh, it seems like everyone else watched a different episode, which is weird because most of the other posts have been going in chronological order. I believe I heard episodes were added- was the one about the last two weeks of summer one of those?
Jul 23, 2021 8:11 AM

Aug 2020
[Chronoligical order]

Lol, I love how this episode sped run through all the anime "episode" cliches, such as the festival, firework show, the swimming pool, the beach, etc.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 29, 2021 4:03 PM

Jan 2020
uh? I don't know why but the place I'm watching has endless eight as the 12th episode? I don't know if that's normal or not since I've heard that's from season 2 but?

Regardless, I enjoyed this lots. I'm aware of what this arc is and I honestly don't mind rewatching this a bunch since I loved how it handled so many different settings in an enjoyable way

Oct 2, 2021 7:24 PM
Dec 2017
God Knows It is a massive fucking banger.

Oct 23, 2021 6:30 PM

May 2020
I watched through the show through chronological order rather than broadcast order, and I must say this is easily the best episode out of the two seasons. Music performance aside, this version of Haruhi's character just felt so natural and positive. I wish more of the show could have been focused more around her emotions and relationships with people rather than her yelling at people and being chaotic.

Like cmon, the last 5 minutes of this episode were golden
Dec 28, 2021 6:57 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

Here after that Adventures of Asahina Mikuru episode, and our cultural festival got itself a conclusion this time. Also it just couldn't get anything better than Haruhi herself singing, and signing off with that sweet last minute moment between her and Kyon.
Jan 30, 2022 6:07 PM

Dec 2007
'till now i was pretty much guessed the logical order by rearranging the references from each episode and so though i didn't watched it chronological i have pretty much image of the whole timeline for each episode, and i noticed something quite terrible:
most of sazuya haruhi melancholy arc, or so the "true" start of the series, had the "important" parts of each character weirdness, while the other episodes (hope i will number them right) - 4, 6 8-9 this and 11 episodes was pretty much "regular" ones without too much supernatural elements, and those all are out-of-order in the airing order, all of them except 5 which can be exclusive.
my point is closing to this episode though that seems to building the post art festival - hmm, 11 and 9 for haruhi character, but that building seems kinda lost in them actually, like i really missed something.
in fact, in this episode it felt that haruhi character seems to pass something in her following the end.

probably s2 might answer my questions, but if not / might be answer, it kinda ruins this season 1 story which is being so good considering the riddle style story this anime made so good about. probable those last 2 episodes gonna answer the question rose from episode 4 (baseball one), but it's just feel that there's big hole. between before art festival - 4-5-6-8-9 that making the shape for the art festival, and probably the fitting rule for SOS club movie features in ep1 (00) where every character is in it's "true" rule.

would be glad for someone to answer me.

edit: oh and with that being said, i dunno how could someone watch this in chronological order, the airing order is much more fun.
User-NameJan 30, 2022 6:13 PM
Jan 31, 2022 12:28 AM

Oct 2010
User-Name said:
'till now i was pretty much guessed the logical order by rearranging the references from each episode and so though i didn't watched it chronological i have pretty much image of the whole timeline for each episode, and i noticed something quite terrible:
most of sazuya haruhi melancholy arc, or so the "true" start of the series, had the "important" parts of each character weirdness, while the other episodes (hope i will number them right) - 4, 6 8-9 this and 11 episodes was pretty much "regular" ones without too much supernatural elements, and those all are out-of-order in the airing order, all of them except 5 which can be exclusive.
my point is closing to this episode though that seems to building the post art festival - hmm, 11 and 9 for haruhi character, but that building seems kinda lost in them actually, like i really missed something.
in fact, in this episode it felt that haruhi character seems to pass something in her following the end.

probably s2 might answer my questions, but if not / might be answer, it kinda ruins this season 1 story which is being so good considering the riddle style story this anime made so good about. probable those last 2 episodes gonna answer the question rose from episode 4 (baseball one), but it's just feel that there's big hole. between before art festival - 4-5-6-8-9 that making the shape for the art festival, and probably the fitting rule for SOS club movie features in ep1 (00) where every character is in it's "true" rule.

edit: oh and with that being said, i dunno how could someone watch this in chronological order, the airing order is much more fun.

s2 has events happening between the events of s1, that's why you have to watch s1 two times if you start in airing order. s2 will make no sense if you watch only the chronological 14 episodes. You have to do it like this
1 The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
2 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1
3 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2
4 The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
5 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3
6 Remote Island Syndrome Part 1
7 Mystérique Sign
8 Remote Island Syndrome Part 2
9 Someday in the Rain
10 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4
11 The Day of Sagittarius
12 Live Alive
13 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5
14 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6

1 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1
2 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2
3 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3
4 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4
5 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5
6 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6
7 The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
8 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
9 Mystérique Sign
10 Remote Island Syndrome Part 1
11 Remote Island Syndrome Part 2
12 Endless Eight
13 Endless Eight
14 Endless Eight
15 Endless Eight
16 Endless Eight
17 Endless Eight
18 Endless Eight
19 Endless Eight
20 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1
21 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2
22 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3
23 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4
24 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5
25 The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
26 Live Alive
27 The Day of Sagittarius
28 Someday in the Rain
Jan 31, 2022 3:32 AM

Dec 2007
Catalano said:
User-Name said:

s2 has events happening between the events of s1, that's why you have to watch s1 two times if you start in airing order. s2 will make no sense if you watch only the chronological 14 episodes. You have to do it like this
no i'm pretty sure i don't have to watch it chronological to understand s2, specially if it would make sense that s2 is filling the gap in the out-of-order episodes in s1 as i pretty much guessed that as i wrote in my post.
i do plan though watching this anime in the chronological order in the not-so-far future.
Sep 29, 2022 2:58 AM

May 2022
THE ENDLESS EIGHT (⋟﹏⋞)
Nov 14, 2022 6:08 AM

Oct 2021
Oh boy.......the infamous "Endless Eight"
Dec 16, 2022 7:32 PM

Nov 2021
literally the best haruhi episode, not even a competition.
if i had a flower for every time i think of you, i could walk in my garden forever.
Jan 4, 2023 6:35 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
(ENDLESS EIGHT EPISODE 1 LET'S FREAKING GOOOOOO)

Bro I'm gonna be real with you, but each of the endless eight is subtly different from the other just enough to keep it feeling even somewhat fresh, I might actually enjoy this sh*t. I was preparing myself to dislike even this first episode, so this is kind of a surprise to me as well. I'm going to watch the 2nd episode of the endless eight, and maybe even the 3rd. Heck I'll keep going as long as it is keeping me even mildly entertained. If I give up at some point though, I'll just throw in the towel and skip to the eighth and final episode. 

Is there meaning behind the madness that is to come, is there purpose? If there is, I think just KNOWING that would be enough of a driving force to keep one watching this. But if it becomes clear that there is no such purpose to this other than Kyoto Animation felt like f*cking around for once and screwing with their viewers, then I won't even bother. But when looking into it, it seems that it's not lazy re-broadcasting, but that there is actually new animation, new angles for each of the events that concur in this endless loop. If they went through the effort to truly make each one feel at least a little different from the next, I think that too alone could make this cycle of doom worth the watch. But enough talk, let's get into this sh*t. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 25, 2023 1:34 PM

May 2018
One of the best episodes of Haruhi, the performance is great. Also, I simply love how Haruhi is completely chaotic, everything she does is totally unexpected, in fact this entire series is pure chaos, I love it.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 29, 2023 4:59 PM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological- ep12

and here starts the endless eight

poor kyon needs to spend his all money over the summer xD
oh, and i think that it's important to note that haruhi read a lot of kyon mind. like literally he didn't said a word about why he is paying but only thought (careful watching results that kyon didn't moved his lips there). it's not the first time i noticed this, but couple since i started the chronological order.
User-NameMay 29, 2023 5:05 PM
Jul 3, 2023 7:05 AM

Oct 2016
And there it is, the real reason why I started this in the first place. That's one of the best insert songs in anime, ever.
Jul 19, 2023 7:53 PM

Jan 2022
Best episode in series so far
Jan 6, 2:19 AM

Mar 2020
Probably the best episode so far, nice to see more depth to Haruhi than her usual wacky persona

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 16, 2008

61 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 18, 12:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.