Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2011 2:40 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The new footage was pretty damn awesome,imo. Although it was my second time watching the story as a whole,I still found it enjoyable. 9/10

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jul 4, 2013 2:13 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This masterpiece has seen what's probably it's final hard copy release. The new Macross Plus BD released in Japan (with subtitles in english too!) makes this movie more gorgeous looking than ever.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 22, 2014 11:24 AM

Jul 2010
This movie edition had a more satisfying ending than the ovas. Loved how it ended with her singing.
Aug 27, 2014 5:04 PM
Oct 2013
I of the best endings i have ever seen.
Both Guld's and Isamu's fights were better than the ovas, it was thanks to using the time more efficiently compared to ovas.
The music at scene also made it to my top ten anime musics.
Dec 13, 2014 7:25 AM

Feb 2008
What most people don't know or forget is that the movie was the intended version of Macross Plus. Because the project started getting so much attention from Macross fandom, it was turned into the OVAs and later the movie version.
Dec 7, 2016 6:23 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
If compare this film with the series Ovas, the film is better, the footage in very atractive.
The start has a little changes, alternating facts,removing some scenes, adding new sequeences and with a finish more direct, all this a little more tecnics, doing some different but this the same.
In my personal opinion, more atractive.

...7/10.
Feb 7, 2019 6:57 AM

Sep 2014
Watching that creep die with his face exploding in the end is a special plus for this version.
Jul 27, 2019 12:51 AM

Dec 2015
You can see here how the full-length movie format is more fitting to this kind of story: thanks to some cuts, this movie flows slightly better than the OAVs. But it is still too long.
It's hard for me to think the additions are noteworthy.

Enjoyment: 3/5
Score: 7/10
Jul 5, 2020 9:54 PM

May 2019
The movie even being shorter, is more complete than the 4 ovas.

Everything was better explained here, the final sequence in special, without loose ends.

Deserves the treatment reserved for classics.

10/10
Jul 18, 2020 2:31 PM

Aug 2017
0/10 they changed Dr. Worth's voice from Norio Wakamoto to someone else, even if his role was only several seconds.

On a more serious note, some scenes were cut, some added, some reused (like the bike riding scene). They also remastered (?) the audio track (5.1). The cuts were sometimes abrupt, and sometimes fine. For some unknown reason, the movie that ought to be shown in theaters turned out to be more "adult", with an added sex scene, more nudity (Lucy) and more gore (Guld's death), while it'd be more fitting for an OVA, and I'd expect it to be cut from the theater version.
Can't say that the movie is better or worse than the OVA.

P.S. It seems to me that everything involving Myung shackled by wires is utilized for some fetishist purposes, in the movie and the OVA likewise. What other reasons are there to focus so much on a woman's body being squeezed by these things to the limit? o_o

P.P.S. one of the techno songs during Sharon's first concert scene sounds like something straight out of Devilman Crybaby
St0rmbladeJul 18, 2020 2:35 PM
May 12, 2021 7:04 AM

Nov 2015
er.. it's really kinda boring fights with blatant fanservice of the girls D: (yes, this extra scenes that aren't in the ova aren't gratuitous at all, it fails completely) and macross II ova doesn't stay behind on this either. delivering the worst the nineties has to offer. but this ova of macross plus in particular looks very similar to Megazone 23 lol, except that here they could show off the varitechs maneuvers *sighs* i will never find that elegance and wackiness from the first macross again! T^T
Berry-VodkaMay 12, 2021 7:55 AM

💢

Dec 14, 2021 9:38 PM

Mar 2015
Saw this in theaters earlier today and I gotta say I think I enjoyed it more than the OVA version and that was already pretty top notch. My memory is a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure the movie added a few scenes that helped cement the relationship between Isamu, Guld, and Myung for me. Made the drama land better for me than it had in the OVA. The new dog fight scenes were also great, the visuals are jaw dropping.
Dec 14, 2021 11:18 PM

May 2020
Had the pleasure of seeing this in theatres today and it was phenomenal; everything about it was so great from the animation to the soundtrack to the story. One of the most enjoyable experiences I had watching anime in a while.
Dec 16, 2021 9:56 AM

Feb 2008
Finally seeing Macross Plus in a theater was quite the treat. Macross Plus was my introduction to anime years ago and it was great to bring back the thoughts that I had when I originally saw it. To paraphrase the Grateful Dead, "What a long strange trip it's been . . . ."

I hope this finally leads to a US / North American BD release in the near future.
Mar 16, 2022 11:17 AM

May 2016
How come a program control earth latest air striker? well faults aside it was a not bad watch
enjoyed the animation quite a lot, plot could have been a lot better, especially that past memories. 6/10
Oct 23, 2022 8:44 PM
Oct 2019
Inikah mimpi buruk manusia yaitu ciptaan mereka sendiri? tragis juga sih melihat Guld mengorbankan dirinya untuk melawan Ghost,tetapi kejadian Macross Plus ini juga sebuah prediksi akan betapa kuatnya virtual idol sehingga terciptanya Miku dan beberapa Vtuber populer ya?
Feb 29, 8:35 PM

Oct 2021
Wow, this was just visual art excellence. Love the whole aesthetics of this movie, the tech and scenery is lovely crafted, the story is cheezy but seviceable and the waifus are hot af.

This was my first introduction to the Macross franchise and I really liked it, gotta go back now and watch it chronologically.

RIP Guld

More topics from this board

» please change this hideous poster back

Marids_Gift - Mar 3, 2023

0 by Marids_Gift »»
Mar 3, 2023 1:38 AM

» Differences Between OVA and Movie

stryke-freedom - Sep 19, 2011

4 by OneMoreFinal »»
Jul 19, 2022 4:53 PM

» Fathom Events Screening December 14th

jaygold33 - Nov 17, 2021

5 by VerizonSucks »»
Dec 15, 2021 7:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.