Forum Settings
Forums

Madoka Magica Sweeps Newtype Anime Award 2011

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 11, 2011 3:00 PM

Feb 2010
Not a single nomination for Usagi Drop?
Fail.

madoka was good, but not that good. Still glad to see Steins Gate and Tiger & Bunny doing fine.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 11, 2011 3:24 PM

Jul 2009
Madoka 14/10

Thank you Newtype

>rintaro

fuck yeah
Oct 11, 2011 4:15 PM
Apr 2009
Because of this poll, I watched Madoka Magica. LOVED IT!

Madoka deserves all the awards!
Oct 11, 2011 5:39 PM

Sep 2011
I'm not so sure whether it's only me.....(I'm Chinese) but I loved "connected" and thought the ending couldn't even compare to it :/
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Oct 11, 2011 5:43 PM

Feb 2009
Slow year apparently....
Oct 11, 2011 5:44 PM

Mar 2009
notsureifsrs said:
Connect? Seriously?
I don't get it either.
Sanguis said:
Homura as best female character? Give me a break.
Agreed, but it's not a surprising result. She's a total badass with a sob-story background to boot. Furthermore, the mystery surrounding her is one of the gripping factors of the show, and heightened interest leads to heightened caring and greater emotional involvement, which in turn lead to a sort of affection. It's not surprising that she's the most popular character from the show, and, because the show is overwhelmingly popular, the final result is also unsurprising.

What baffles me is
zKskita said:
Best Female Character
Akemi Homura - Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Kaname Madoka - Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Kuroneko - OreImo
Menma - Ano Hana
Ika-musume - Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Really? We did all watch the same show, right?
Graph provided to verify that I am a CERTIFIED pretentious jerk.
Oct 11, 2011 5:50 PM

Sep 2011
The real surprise to me is Menma getting 3rd place.....
Zomg LOLIS RULE THE FEMALE LIST
Oct 11, 2011 5:53 PM

Jun 2009
… Madoka sure has its hyped fanbase strong, eh?

The fact all the nominations – and winners, needless to say – are almost exclusive to a few series disappoints me greatly. So much diversity! But oh well, that’s how it works. No love for Usagi Drop, either. Congrats to the same winners, in any case.
AnisamarOct 11, 2011 5:57 PM
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Oct 11, 2011 6:50 PM

Jun 2010
No one likes Connect.....I like Connect

Oct 11, 2011 7:57 PM

May 2009
^It is not a matter of liking the song. I also like it, but it is nonetheless pretty generic and nothing out of ordinary. Meaning, Connect is no different than many songs that were played this year, so it's extremely obvious that it is there just because it is Madoka's op. If it were an above-average traditional song, than perhaps it wouldn't be seen as such a poor choice, but since it doesn't stand out in any way, this choice can't be taken seriously.
Oct 11, 2011 8:15 PM

Jan 2010
Sadness that this godly opening didn't even get nominated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUzNLayMrJk
For that matter, Nichijou ought to have won something... I guess there was no best comedy category. x_x
Oct 11, 2011 9:19 PM

Jul 2010
Owned! Madoka was definitely one of my top animes this year.
Oct 12, 2011 3:28 PM

Dec 2008
IMO it's not surprising that 2/3 of the awards go to Madoka, gonna celebrate tonight. xD

Kinda disappointed to see no Penguin Drum though...

Also good for Mamoru Miyano and Okabe^^
Oct 12, 2011 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
I saw some of categories...... Were they purely made up so madoka can have it?
Oct 12, 2011 9:28 PM

Nov 2010
Well, Madoka was very great, although getting 2/3 of awards (and the rest of awards aren't available for madoka, since Madoka didn't have anything like...say, male characters or robots) is a bit overkill.

I'm sad there's no mention of Usagi Drop, or no Steins;Gate in best show nomination (Although Okarin still Rocks!)
Oct 13, 2011 3:08 AM

Sep 2011
I'm really dissapointed with this. Madoka was good but not anything amazing IMO. Glad to see Okabe on there though, but he wouldn't be on there if Madoka had some male characters...
Oct 13, 2011 3:58 AM

Sep 2010
As for the actual awards, I think it's done by a fairly well known magazine albeit for the first time, so the actual voters itself are limited to followers and subscribers. I'm pretty sure there are other award giving bodies in Japan, let's see how Madoka Magica will fair, if the same thing is repeated then I guess there is no question to the success of Madoka Magica.

Also, Madoka Magica already won the TV Feature award of the Animation Kobe 2011 (considered among the most prestigious industry accolades in Japanese animation and media) with the following statement:

"...and so, since you all will soon become majo (witches), you should be called mahou shoujo." At the moment I heard this dialogue, I felt that I could finally see the world of this work. One young girl embraced hope but soon enough she was engulfed by despair. And to save such a young girl, it could be the wish of yet another young girl.... This world of "mahou shoujo" which could not be covered with just dreams or hopes -- haven't many anime fans been riveted by it? We must also not forget the competent skills from Director Akiyuki Shinbo and Shaft that managed to harmoniously blend the contributions from three sources with strong characters: Screenplay by Gen Urobuchi, Original Character Design by Ume Aoki, and Manifestation of the Bewitched Worlds by Gekidan Inu-Curry; and sublimate it into a solidly substantial animation. While incorporating freshness into the story as well as video expression, this anime provided the perfect taste of the real charm of an anime that could only be found in a TV series where every week you really cannot wait to watch what happens next. Thus we believe this anime is best suited for the TV Feature Award.

ANN source
Wiki source
Oct 13, 2011 4:12 AM

Jan 2010
madoka everywhere. EVERYWHERE!
Oct 13, 2011 6:31 AM

Mar 2010
Seriously, F**K Kyuubei, you can go to hell!!! But the rest of the Madoka was okay but I don't think it deserves all those awards but congrats anyways. Also I think Connect is quite good.
But for best lead male : Okabe-san :)
Oct 13, 2011 9:40 AM

Apr 2011
I liked Connect, but it is not best theme song this year.
Oct 29, 2011 11:46 PM

Apr 2011
id rather have my kurisuchan as top female character
Oct 30, 2011 12:08 AM
Jul 2018
Not exactly surprising...
I loved Madoka but thats more than it really deserves tbh. Steins Gate should have gotten more.
Mar 18, 2012 12:47 AM

Jan 2010
Homura-chan congrats! :D
Mar 18, 2012 3:18 AM
Sep 2011
I don't agree with anything on that list. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica is good but not THAT good. Everyone can have different taste but i think it is a insanely overrated show.
Mar 24, 2012 11:13 AM

Mar 2012
Yankun said:
I mean, Kyuubey is cute and all but, he wants to you make a contract with him. @@

Did we watch the same show? ;) Where exactly is it cute? Because the moment I saw it, I thought it was creepy and indeed, it was even more creepy as the episodes commenced. Actually, till the 3rd episode where the big "wham!" occurs, it was pretty much the only thing in the anime that was out of place for me. These eyes and face, and all... It just wasn't right. ;)
Mar 24, 2012 7:11 PM

Dec 2008
He is cute yo, why u no love kyubey :<
Mar 24, 2012 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
OKARIN! Well deserved for Steins;Gate.

And no contest, Platinum Disco is the best song in 2012.
Mar 24, 2012 8:47 PM
Jul 2018
It really doesn't come as any surprise. It was decided by a popularity poll and Madoka probably sold like 10 times what most other series did around the same time. It's not that it's overrated, Madoka just has a fanbase that's exponentially larger than the vast majority of other series. Thus it appears over-represented.
Mar 24, 2012 9:01 PM

Mar 2012
...Theme song?
Come on.
aoumi said:
He is cute yo, why u no love kyubey :<

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ "That's right! I am cute! Now form a contract so you can wish that everyone loved kyuubey, and then-" *shot by Homura*
"If you don't allow yourself to cry, you'll never be able to smile."
~Negi Springfield
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

28 by thebrentinator24 »»
2 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
8 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.