Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 16, 2016 5:36 PM

Jan 2013
[Watching in broadcast order]

Yuki keeps blocking the costume change with her books :3
Lmao Kyon definitely missed out while sleeping :D

Kind of a slow episode, not sure what the play was about whilst Yuki was reading a book.

Apparently the last episode in chronological order aswell.
May 23, 2016 7:49 AM

Mar 2015
OP song: 4/5

I have nothing to say about this episode where Computer president got disappeared.

3.6/5
Nov 8, 2016 2:02 AM

Jan 2015
Episode 9

I love Haruhi <3
>W<
UltimateDeathNov 8, 2016 2:15 AM
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jun 26, 2017 11:18 PM
Sep 2015

Wrong Episode 9, lol. Well, technically episode 9 using DVD order I guess.
Jul 5, 2017 2:59 AM

Jan 2015
kalinime said:

Wrong Episode 9, lol. Well, technically episode 9 using DVD order I guess.

Yea I use the TV Series Order and not the TV Stations broadcasting order something too messy :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Aug 10, 2017 4:21 AM

Jul 2008
I hate bugs, especially giant internet born ones.
Sep 19, 2017 12:50 AM

Sep 2013
Kind of a boring episode. Not my favorite at all.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 9, 2017 5:00 AM

Dec 2015
Beautiful ending, they really captured all the characters perfectly in this episode. Couldn't be happier to have watched the chronological order 😊
~
Mar 26, 2018 2:48 PM

Feb 2018
Still find it funny to see that people are watching 3 different episodes all labeled as ep 9, I like that, gives an unique touch to the show.
I don't know, the book reading/anime scene was pretty neat, even though I didn't recognize most of them, still liked the ambiental atmosphere of the episode.
Although I am glad that I am watching in order that this isn't the last episode, that would suck imo :D
May 3, 2018 1:53 PM

Sep 2017
Finding the computer chief episode.

I am gonna rate this 1/10. What a waste of time.

Don't care about the chronological or broadcast order. This series is bullshit. No explanation, no sense, no comedy or anything of value or enjoyment. I think I will be better off watching something else. As usual, all the characters are annoying AF.

After 1 more episode, I think I will watch Mob Psycho.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 7, 2018 10:05 AM

May 2016
Pretty boring episode but Kyon is hilarious as ever, airing order.
Mar 17, 2019 7:04 AM
Apr 2018
Broadcast order

Well, I can see why this would be the final episode of the season. Kinda breather since nothing happened.

The adventures of Mikuru Asahina Part 2??? Yaasss
May 14, 2019 10:23 AM

Apr 2015
KyoAni really out here spending three minutes on some sort of radio show to save animation money.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 9, 2019 9:48 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
The part when Kyon came back, warmed his hands with the heater and fell asleep was oddly comforting. Like oddly, one of the most comforting scenes I've seen. It was simple yet really nice feeling. It's pretty hot right now too, so I wasn't expecting to actually appreciate that as much as I did. Usually, anime try to pull that same type of scene off with a moe girl or something, but there's something just relatable and sweet about a tall, not super cute high school boy who's just tired after all that stuff and falls asleep next to the heat on a cold day.
SwiggyAug 22, 2019 9:35 PM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 9, 2019 9:33 PM
Feb 2018
This is a great sol episode so chill and relaxing
Nov 24, 2019 8:16 AM

Feb 2019
Haruhi and Kyon are so cute together. Didn't expect Haruhi could be that cute though, putting her cardigan on sleeping Kyon.

A lot of long shots and silence this episode, but it's interesting, never seen anything like it before. That REALLY long scene with just Yuki in the room and faint voices was really random and hilarious. I honestly thought it was funny and unique in its own way and just kept reading the lines being said lol
Apr 8, 2020 1:45 PM

May 2011
Please tell me someone else noticed the copy of "Tsundere Gunslinger III" next to Haruhi's desk 😭

Apr 13, 2020 3:55 PM

Mar 2016
Broadcast order : "Someday in the rain"

Felt like the last episode

Except it is in the chronological order
Very chill and calm episode, like if school "was normal" for them after all of those adventures. I liked it
bonjour
Apr 27, 2020 1:53 AM
Jul 2015
Rewatching this in chronological order, so this is the last episode for me
This episode is so chill, I love the static cameras and the sense of an ordinary day.
It's a shame that nowadays Kyoani doesn't experiment with these unique direction styles.
Jun 7, 2020 10:49 AM

May 2018
I didn't understand anything but I felt it
Mar 14, 2021 7:49 PM

Jun 2014
This episode was "Mystérique Sign" for me.

That SOS Brigade logo is pretty cool, but it caused some problems. Yuki and Koizumi saved the computer club guy, so things are kinda back to normal.

Mar 21, 2021 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
Welp, I watched the one with the missing boyfriend.
Pretty good episode, but ima stop reading the thread cause I don't want to other episode spoiled for me. lol
Apr 15, 2021 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Watched in chronological order, so I'm done with the series until the movie.
Wasn't a huge fan of endless eight and sigh so watching this way made it much better. Finishing off the series with some great isolated season 1 episodes reminded me of why I loved this show so much starting out and definitely left a good taste in my mouth. This series was a joy to watch except for the two arcs mentioned earlier, so overall I'll give it an 8/10, 9/10 for s1 and 6/10 for s2. But the movie should escalate this to even greater heights.
May 9, 2021 11:14 PM

Jan 2019
Cave Cricket episode- Kyon is starting to distrust the fellow group members, and while I can't say I blame him, I am worried about the consequences of that doubt.
Jul 23, 2021 5:16 AM

Aug 2020
[Chronological order]

Bruh, that CG bug though. It reminds me of that insect island anime. It's either this show is outdated and didn't have the tools to make it look great, or they just wanted to use that CG bug to make the scene goofy and weird (cause it fits this show).

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 29, 2021 3:19 PM

Jan 2020
Pretty forgettable to me for the most part but that cgi bug was um.. it definitely made an impact on the episode lol.

Not my favorite episode but it wasn't awful

Aug 16, 2021 2:49 PM

Jun 2015
What the heck? nothing happened.
Dec 28, 2021 12:36 PM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

After that Day of Sagittarius episode.

And finally this was the last one chronologically, Someday in the rain. Have to say they concluded it on a peaceful note, compared to the rather eccentric atmosphere we had throughout the series.

Keeping both of these seasons as a rather single 28 episodes season, will rate this one too an 8/10. Also seems like there's one sequel movie too after this, so onto the movie next.
Jan 30, 2022 4:03 PM

Dec 2007
this was rather calm and quiet episode. though will that quiet scenes, those last few scenes made me quite worried for some reason.

kyon and haruhi cute together lol.
Feb 11, 2022 2:06 PM

Jul 2011
Just had a sudden surge of nostalgia and needed to re-watch this episode. Everything from the monotonous tone, almost realistic lifelike pacing and sound (especially that background OST) makes this an especially memorable and masterclass in slice of life anime. If you've grown up watching/reading and experiencing this anime/LN in your youth, then coming back to this episode as an adult feels like you're looking through a photo album of your best memories, it's nostalgia mixed in with the melancholic reality that you will never go back to those simple days of your youth.
Mar 25, 2022 7:50 PM

Aug 2020
Watched in chronological order so this was the final episode for me. I just had to go on the episode discussion to say that this was my favourite episode from the entire series (excluding the movie that I haven't seen yet).

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Sep 28, 2022 8:28 AM

May 2022
Kyon's analysis at the end about yuki came out of nowhere wtf
Oct 7, 2022 1:41 PM

Apr 2022
Rewatched this single ep after finishing K-ON ep 13, which reminded me of this ep. I love the pacing in it, the contrast between Kyon's actions picking up the heater (waiting for train, walking down/up hill) and the hectic nature of the SOS brigade (especially with the camera shots, which gave off the vibe of an external onlooker) really expressed how much the club meant to Kyon.
otherdummyDec 12, 2022 7:52 PM
Jan 4, 2023 1:25 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
(Mysterique Sign)

Never thought I'd see something as hideous as that giant cockroach (or grasshopper or whatever it was) from kyoto animation. Maybe it wasn't absolutely atrocious especially for its time, but when put in a show where everything looks really good as per kyoto animation standards, it really does stick out like a sore thumb more than it would usually.

Sigh. I am really trying to get through this, but I am practically begging for each episode to end- so far apart from the baseball episode; I thought that one was fun. Why do I make myself suffer this way, you might ask? I just really want to watch the movie man. It has received so much praise that I firmly believe I will very much like it, or at least like it quite a bit more than whatever all this is. But to get there, I still have to get through, this. 

On a more positive note, one of the few personal praises I have for Haruhi Suzumiya so far is that I find everyone's voices oddly soothing, in their own unique ways- even Haruhi's herself. Honestly sometimes I just have gotten so bored I switched to another tab to do something random while leaving the episode running in the background, but I found myself becoming strangely relaxed just by listening to these voices speaking. Probably just me, but I'd still like to share this with the odd soul who comes across this. 

Anyway, 5 more episodes of this first season (chronologically, again, because that's how crunchyroll presents it as does pretty much any other site. I feel the broadcast order would make me despise this show even more), before going onto the 2nd season and its beloved endless eight arc, and then finally the movie. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 25, 2023 10:53 AM

May 2018
Broadcast order; I feel like this is a very experimental episode, with all the different angles and shots, also the alternation between Kyon and the club members doing their usual stuff, the complete silence and Nagato reading a book while everyone is doing something different outside, and then Kyon finally coming back with the heater, only to fall sleep by all the boredom and silence. In the end, Haruhi also explicitly expresses how Kyon is special to her, it was a very interesting episode. This series is sure something completely out of ordinary.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 29, 2023 9:40 AM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological order- ep9

and we back again to original series.

kyon notes on this episodes xDD

haruhi's powers sure are mysterious, probably more than she wants them to? lol
Jul 19, 2023 7:57 PM

Jan 2022
Nice calm episode. Next the movie.
Apr 11, 9:50 PM
Jan 2019
Chronological Order.

This episode is kinda boring. Same repeated shot but at the same time even thought in Broadcast Order it was not meant to be an ending. But I think it is a decent episode to end the Suzumiya Series.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 16, 2008

61 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 18, 12:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.