Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 6, 2007 8:36 AM

Jul 2007
<strong>THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.</strong><br />----------------------------------------
<br /><br />So subs for ep 19 just got released, and this ep basically cements the fact that everybody hates Rossiu. If you for some reason were still holding out, you know hate his guts like everyone else. Aside from that, what el;se is there to say, another great episode.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 6, 2007 9:01 AM

Jun 2007
well we all do but kinon loves him and all the people of kanima city love Rossiu. Rossiu got lucky since the arc was already there .
guess we can all see that nia is somewhere in that anti-spiral form since she still has the ring on
it is gonna start getting interesting from now, well more interesting
Aug 6, 2007 9:07 AM

Nov 2006
OH MY GOD I CAN'T CONTAIN MY ROSSIU HATRED. rofl.
I so wish Kittan would have landed one of those punches, damn.

Seems pretty hopeless as of now but we all know Simon'll pull through somehow :D

Next ep looks to be quite humorous as I'm pretty sure I saw half naked Viral kicking people in the preview. Hmmm.

ALSO the whole scene with Beamspam screwing with Lon was so effing funny, I was choking from laughter. The whole gay jokes with Gimmy thing was great too, that whole thing was great.
windyAug 6, 2007 9:15 AM
Aug 6, 2007 10:51 AM

Jan 2007
Great episode as always. But the Viral/Simon meeting at the end made my day. I can't wait for them to team up.
Aug 6, 2007 2:05 PM

Nov 2006
windy said:
OH MY GOD I CAN'T CONTAIN MY ROSSIU HATRED. rofl.
I so wish Kittan would have landed one of those punches, damn.

Seems pretty hopeless as of now but we all know Simon'll pull through somehow :D

Next ep looks to be quite humorous as I'm pretty sure I saw half naked Viral kicking people in the preview. Hmmm.

ALSO the whole scene with Beamspam screwing with Lon was so effing funny, I was choking from laughter. The whole gay jokes with Gimmy thing was great too, that whole thing was great.

i hate him thinking he is so above everyone one. i cant wait to see him get ownd. its not going to be that easy to destroy lagann. awesome episode.

Aug 6, 2007 6:43 PM
Aug 2007
I try to refrain from being unabatedly hateful of Rossiu, rather I think that, despite his antagonistic methods, he is a very interesting character whose outlook on life is not neccisarily the wrong one, but just different. The friction between his methods and Simon's represent, in a way, the realities of growing up, going from the childish ideal the Gurren-dan had at the start of the show, that if they fought for anything strongly enough they could win, to the consctrictions of responsibility and leadership that Simon has had to face now.

This episode was my favourite yet, with the strongest dramatic content, a sharp, dynamic production, and great use of music. Every element to this episode was strong, and it represents the show's greatest achievement in terms of character development. I particularly love the way the show continues to use Kamina's legacy to good effect, not letting its power be forgotten (except by the discontented masses in the show).

It may be an impulsive reaction to hate Rossiu, but the fact of the matter is that, with the uncovering of the arc, he may well have saved humanity. And Simon would never have had the foresight to have made that happen.
Aug 7, 2007 5:26 AM

Jul 2007
Somebody should create a 'Rossiu Hate Thread' heh.

I cannot stand the guy now.

That episode was brill, and when the people of Kamina City were shouting 'ROSSIU ROSSIU' you could see his eyes were saying, 'MUHAHAHA! POWER!'

Great Episode as always, It'll be good to see the Arc in action soon.
Aug 7, 2007 12:17 PM

Apr 2007
we all need someone to hate don't we? =/
i bet yoko's gonna come and save the day!
Aug 7, 2007 2:23 PM
Jul 2007
MasterChief said:
we all need someone to hate don't we? =/
i bet yoko's gonna come and save the day!

She returns at episode #:
Aug 7, 2007 3:33 PM

Jul 2007
Rossiu is a jackass but he does make sense in his actions. Very cold but he make sense. So I can't really hate him but I disapprove of his actions. The top of which is the bomb thing. I have a sister and brothers so I understand how Kittan feels. To bad he didn't land a punch but that might of gotten him jailed or executed... and so his sister saved him.

And yeah, awesome episode.
Aug 7, 2007 3:41 PM
Aug 2007
Fucking Rossiu! Hate that guy, and i cant believe Kinon is sucking up to that bitch! Hopefully Kittan or one of the good guys will talk some sense into her.

Man i cant wait till the next episode. Hopefully Yoko will put her rifle up Rossiu's ass, once she's back.
Aug 7, 2007 3:53 PM
Jun 2007
Yeah, everyone hates Rossiu now.. I'm seeing ATLEAST 3 "I hate Rossiu" in every Gurren Lagann discussion threads.. lol. Nia still has her ring... 3 bucks = Nia is just pretending to be a bad person. (not very sure though, but I'm 100% that she's gonna live at the end of show, if not, I'll kill the writter) 5 bucks = Kinon will die, Rossiu will go changii.. lol (but that's pretty cliche, though there's a good chance).Yoko will go save Simon (but that's pretty expected, though I highly doubt that). Second season? Dont think so. lol
Aug 7, 2007 6:55 PM

Jul 2007
Rainulf said:
Nia still has her ring... 3 bucks = Nia is just pretending to be a bad person. (not very sure though, but I'm 100% that she's gonna live at the end of show, if not, I'll kill the writter)

I'd put my money on Nia doing something that's detrimental to both the Spirals and Anti-Spirals. One of those "If I can't have it, then no one can."

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 7, 2007 7:07 PM

Jun 2007
Rossiu can go to hell. Good episode, but I really want to see Rossiu get his.
The cake is a lie
Aug 7, 2007 7:44 PM

Dec 2006
Definitely a powerful episode, the character development is getting really interesting. This is one of the few anime that I can't wait to watch next week, it's getting pretty intense.
Rossiou getting owned seems inevitable since they made him out to be such an arse, but I wonder what they have in mind. All his actions are not in vain though, 'least he is saving some part of the population of earth,; though I wonder if that'll go as planned. :p

On another unrelated note, Rossiou's face and hairstyle remind of Fei from Xenogears somewhat D:
KiraAug 7, 2007 7:47 PM
リスト 。。

Aug 12, 2007 8:39 AM
Jun 2007
Man... if only Kamina were still alive. There's no way he would have missed hitting Rossiu
Aug 21, 2007 10:37 AM

Jun 2007
>.< Rossiu is a dead man if hes man at al!l grrrrrrr the twat is pissing me off more and more with every ep watched. that slutty face of him yackkkkk whatta tit :@
Dec 6, 2007 1:33 AM

Nov 2007
Meh, rossiu is going to get owned. Especially if he tries to use that ark...

Lot's of previews showing space fighting right? I can see him trying to escape earth in that ark and just getting owned by the Anti-Spirals in space. :P

Oh and the obvious "Rossiu is an asshole" comment has to be put out there -__-

Serg, I couldn't help myself with that spoiler, but that's really good to know. Something to look forward to right? lol.
Jan 27, 2008 3:31 PM

Jan 2008
Yeah, Rossiu's actions have unfortunately descended into outright stupidity/megalomania. I dont mind though, its good drama to have conflict between the good guys, and the confrontation between Kittan and his sister was really good.

I got a vague Macross vibe from this episode, which was nice. I realised I havent seen a sci-fi epic in a while so this series has been satisfying me on a lot of levels thanks to its excellently structured arcs.

Also loving the new ad break sequence, dodgy engrish hip hop to boot. :D
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 24, 2008 5:51 PM
Feb 2008
That episode was pretty awesome, Rossiu is a bitch and needs to be shot. :3

Also it looks like we might get a Viral and Simon team-up. ^__^
Feb 29, 2008 4:26 PM

Oct 2007
Rossiu = Emperor Palpatine
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2008 7:51 PM

Dec 2007
Rossiu has pretty much become corrupted with his power, as the saying goes "absolute power corrupts absolutely." I guess all the people that said that Simon and Viral would meet up in prison were right, this is going to be interesting.

#NBHNC
Jun 1, 2008 4:05 PM

Nov 2007
AAH ITS VIRAL xD omfg, interesting
Aug 3, 2008 6:29 PM
Apr 2008
Nice episode. I cannot recall hate anime char more than rossiu at the moment... i didnt like him back then, now i hate him.
Aug 10, 2008 9:09 AM

May 2008
The whole Viral x Simon thing was just so obvious from the minute it was said that Simon was going to trial.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 29, 2008 12:30 AM

May 2008
Faust721 said:
Great episode as always. But the Viral/Simon meeting at the end made my day. I can't wait for them to team up.
Agreed..
Oct 2, 2008 9:30 AM

Jun 2007
Now I love a Giga Drill as much as the next guy, but that Maximum was just plain silly!

How many times did i hear the word "Zetsubou" in that episode? I though I was watching a different anime... ;)

I'm happy that Viral is back, but why was he kicking the Kellogg's Cornflakes chicken in the face in the preview?
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Oct 13, 2008 8:37 PM

May 2007
Of course it is Viral, anyway I really want to slug Rosiu once, I feel that is all he needs.

Anyway Yoko ever returning?
My anime list
Oct 18, 2008 12:42 AM

Feb 2007
Wow, I watched Episode 18 back in November last year. xD

Alas, it's great to be watching TTGL again (if my friend Nikki ever found out that I haven't finished this yet, she'd kill me), now that I have found my new source to watch the episodes in good quality. Better late than never to finish this.

Rewatching episode 17, 18 and then watching this episode was a great hour of anime indeed.
Oct 25, 2008 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
it's viral~! gawd he rocks! xD
and rossiu... nah >< after simon does all that he goes around making a great of himself... sheesh
Oct 31, 2008 6:47 PM

Oct 2008
Those ungrateful pieces of shit knocking down Kamina's statue. And I've waited and waited for Rossiu to come back but it seems he won't. I officially hate him and hope he dies.

Favorite Scenes- Gurren Lagann VS. Mugan and the scene after the fight
Favorite Lines- "GIGA....DRILL....MAXIMUM!"
"Oh? Something interesting has shown up. Welcome to jail...Commander Simon."
<('-'<) <( '-' )> (>'-')>
Nov 7, 2008 5:11 PM

Aug 2008
The whole Rossiu-evil-dictator-thing is not very natural. Seems to be too much constructed to give the story an interesting touch. I did not like the last development at all.
Nov 18, 2008 3:00 PM
Apr 2008
Gaah, this is great but still not as good as the first half of the series in my opinion. Good drama though compared to the bravado that was there. Good that they haven't scrapped Viral yet, although he has been involved in too many big explosions to survive... ne?

Nov 21, 2008 5:11 PM

Nov 2008
Nah! Roshiu does that for the people. Not very effective methods, cold, one may say. But it works. It's practical. At least it's better than Simon and his bunch of idiotic friends.

Roshiu FTW !
The wind is my voice, the moon is my heart. I'm here... So close to you... - "Lullaby", Yuki Kajiura
Dec 6, 2008 12:52 PM

Mar 2008
Another excellent episode. This arc really owns everything. Good job on your coup-d'état, Rossiu ^^ Okay, you'll pay for it soon enough, enjoy it while you can.

Nice to see Simon is in the same prison as Viral.
Dec 6, 2008 8:17 PM

Jul 2008
I don't get it.. Are those citizens stupid or something? I mean.. why does it have to be Simon to take the responsibilities?! Rossiu controls Gurren as well! Shouldn't he take responsbilities with Simon(if they insist?) -.-

Dec 31, 2008 1:30 AM

Aug 2007
This show keeps on getting better and better!

But I don't like the new ad break sequence, it sounds too goofy -_-
Dec 31, 2008 12:41 PM

Dec 2008
Washi said:
I try to refrain from being unabatedly hateful of Rossiu, rather I think that, despite his antagonistic methods, he is a very interesting character whose outlook on life is not neccisarily the wrong one, but just different. The friction between his methods and Simon's represent, in a way, the realities of growing up, going from the childish ideal the Gurren-dan had at the start of the show, that if they fought for anything strongly enough they could win, to the consctrictions of responsibility and leadership that Simon has had to face now.

This episode was my favourite yet, with the strongest dramatic content, a sharp, dynamic production, and great use of music. Every element to this episode was strong, and it represents the show's greatest achievement in terms of character development. I particularly love the way the show continues to use Kamina's legacy to good effect, not letting its power be forgotten (except by the discontented masses in the show).

It may be an impulsive reaction to hate Rossiu, but the fact of the matter is that, with the uncovering of the arc, he may well have saved humanity. And Simon would never have had the foresight to have made that happen.

I think this is a really good point. More generally, the stylistic transition into something much more complex and dark after the first 15 episodes nicely mirrors this idea of childhood changing to adulthood and idealistic rebellion changing to realistic government.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 14, 2009 4:08 PM

Jan 2008
lol, Boota in handcuffs cracked me up.
Mar 13, 2009 9:16 AM

Nov 2008
Kinon was cute, now she's a complete idiot. Damn. This sucks.
Get a life and stop reading my signature...
Jun 2, 2009 3:31 PM

Mar 2009
Dang, Simon just got played.
I mean, I can see why Rossiu did this. But that doesn't make it right.
<i>When all else is lost, the future still remains</i>
Jun 26, 2009 4:08 AM

Oct 2008
I sense some uber viral + simon action with a bit of yoko coming up. Man Rossiu is gonna get owned so badly. I seriously can't wait. Love this series again, (just picked it up after a long break of not watching anything). ED is pretty good.
Jul 16, 2009 3:19 PM
May 2008
Rossiu using some pretty fucked up logic... as well as the citizens. Hopefully there will be some Viral + Simon action/team work in the near future... and Yoko.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 21, 2009 9:00 AM

Nov 2008
Of course Rossiu has fucked up logic. Of course he's sleazy. He has cemented himself as the best character in this show in just the past three episodes.

This whole second arc would be nothing, absolutely nothing without Rossiu. Just Simon vs. aliens = explosions is fine for some braindead shounen anime. We need a cold idealist like Rossiu who makes our blood boil to keep things interesting.

Why does everything have to be "agree with his values = like the character" or "disagree with his values = hate the character"? Can't we just recognize interesting characters?
Aug 10, 2009 8:45 AM

Sep 2008
Ahh, die Rossiu. Too bad Kinon is smitten with such a jerk. I liked the confrontation scene between Kinon and Kittan (and Rossiu), though I wished that Kittan had landed one of his punches...

We all know that Simon will get through this. And YEZ, he met Viral in the jail cell. 8D Hopefully the Simon and Viral team will become a reality?
Aug 12, 2009 9:23 AM
Jul 2008
Well, this episode was clearly made to shock and disgust people having a minimum of courage and decency. It seems it was also made to make these same people understand, to a certain extent, the process by which cowardly and perveted minds will justify criminal horror.
Rossiu is, of course, a madman and anyone in his/her right mind would fear the day such a person ruled a land. It is interesting to see how he disguises his folly, making himself seem reasonable and righteous. It is also important that this character seems completely unaware of his own madness for such is often the case among humans, past and present.
The fascination and near servitude of Kinon is also important (though horrifying). Weak minds will often flock toward madness as long as it is confident of providing them with comfort and security.
Such attitudes (be it Rossu's or Kinon's) are despicable but the people who give in to such weakness must not be hated or despised. Doing so would amount to being as weak and cowardly as them. That is why Simon's attitude is important. Despite seeing Rossiu's and Kinon's madness, he does not despise or hate them. When he fights, he does so for both himself AND them.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Aug 12, 2009 9:42 AM

Jan 2008
I'd hardly call Rossiu a 'madman'. His thinking is logical, but simply lacks compassion and empathy. He is all about the ends, not the means. And its thanks to his upbringing which we've seen early on in the story, so we as the viewer can be empathetic to his character, even if we disagree with his methods.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 12, 2009 10:12 AM
Jul 2008
As I said before, I do not feel hatred or spite toward Rossiu and I agree that such people may emerge through harsh upbringings. You are right to say that empathy can be felt toward him. I will go further to say that empathy MUST be felt toward such people if one is to humanely counter the results of such twisted reasoning.
I strongly disagree that he lacks empathy or compassion. As shown by his reactions, the fate of humankind is something he is deeply moved by. The problem is that he is unaware of his own cowardice and thus believes to be rationaly planning for the survival of humanity whereas he is really running away in utter fear and despair, leaving thousands to die in his wake.
I also strongly disagree that he is being logical. An incredible fear of death and destruction (once again probably caused by his traumatic experiences) has made him take a completely one sided approach on the resolution of conflicts. Logic implies the study of possible methods before adopting a course of action. His mind is locked into a way of thinking - a twisted instinct of self preservation. Despite giving value to human life, he orders the execution of Simon to calm the rioting citizens. He doesn't even consider the other less destructive and more effective options. Horrors of his past had made him prone to despair and instead of overcoming it (like many) he became a coward and the worst kind of hypocrite: the one who lies to himself.
So finally yes, he is very much unbalanced (perhaps madman was too harsh a term) and despite deserving our compassion, such people must not be allowed to govern.
Aug 14, 2009 5:39 PM
Aug 2009
Where is Yoko!?

And Rossiu's not that bad. He has the right intentions.

Aug 14, 2009 7:13 PM
Jul 2008
That's what he'd like to believe (and everybody else if possible). It's frightening how in real life too such characters manage to fool people (and themselves) into thinking they are tragic heroes and not murderous cowards.

Hmm, where is Yoko indeed?... :P
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1151 by Spiral26 »»
Apr 8, 11:01 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.