Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2008 5:56 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Graaah... Sachiko's being a total bitch... There's probably an explanation for all this, and it is probably a big misunderstanding, like we all saw in the past... but hey, she's still acting like a bitch... [/rant]
Nov 18, 2008 6:45 PM

Sep 2007
Absolutely a bitch I say...
But Yumi gave her no chance for explanations.
Jul 14, 2011 2:33 PM
Aug 2009
This show only gets great when it isn't about Sachiko and Yumi.
Yumi was being overdramatic and rushing to conclusions without solid proof, and she seems to have nothing else in her life but Sachiko, it was getting annoying to watch.
Feb 29, 2012 4:46 PM

Oct 2011
This wasn't annoying, it was great. This is the first episode of this series where I actually cried. I do understand Yumi's feelings. If you really love someone, it's easy to jump to conclusions, even though they may not be the correct ones. She loves Sachiko and it's understandable she feels horrible, because she thinks Sachiko prefers Toko over her. She may react overly dramatic, but that's a very human thing to do. I overreact all the time, I overanalyse things, jump to conclusions, assume the worst case scenario. It's a horrible feeling, seeing someone become a like a stranger to you and not knowing whether to be angry or sad, whether to confront her or just be silent.
This episode was a masterpiece.
Mar 21, 2012 12:14 AM

Aug 2010
Ugh, Touko is the worst.
Feb 11, 2014 9:58 AM

Aug 2013
You can feel the jealousy jumping out of the screen. So good XD!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 12, 2014 7:56 PM
Dec 2013
So Sachiko is not just a bitch, but a lying bitch. Nice.
Apr 27, 2014 5:40 PM

Sep 2012
I've been able to forgive most of Sachiko's transgressions up until now, but she's crossed the line into the bitch zone. Yumi (whether or not she should have waited for an explanation), ran away crying and Sachiko didn't go after her. It was painful to watch.
Jul 12, 2014 5:14 AM
Jul 2013
frietfriet said:
This wasn't annoying, it was great. This is the first episode of this series where I actually cried. I do understand Yumi's feelings. If you really love someone, it's easy to jump to conclusions, even though they may not be the correct ones. She loves Sachiko and it's understandable she feels horrible, because she thinks Sachiko prefers Toko over her. She may react overly dramatic, but that's a very human thing to do. I overreact all the time, I overanalyse things, jump to conclusions, assume the worst case scenario. It's a horrible feeling, seeing someone become a like a stranger to you and not knowing whether to be angry or sad, whether to confront her or just be silent.

good to know i wasn't the only one who shed some tears over this ep, also my first time in this series, i didn't think i would to be honest but the emotions were so relatable in how humans can be so insecure. omfg and the appearance by sei just topped it off
Nov 29, 2014 10:56 PM

Sep 2014
frietfriet said:

QFT, I 100% agree with you.. Even though I know this episode is a huge misunderstanding between Yumi and Sachiko, but it TOTALLY TUGGED ON MY HEART STRINGS
Jan 21, 2015 5:34 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I felt bad and sad for Yumi. She's been waiting for weeks to go on a date with Sachiko but for X reason she hasn't been able to go with her. This is probably a big misunderstanding but even so Sachiko is acting like a total b****. Ok, can she not tell Yumi in advance that she can't go and tell her why. That way Yumi knows her reason, can pick another day, and she won't have to feel as bad as she is currently.

Sachiko needs to stop being a reserved spaz. She knows Yumi tends to over think things yet she doesn't do anything to change her attitude.

I know this is a big misunderstanding and the one question we all have in mind is the exact one Yumi is asking herself. Why is she preferring Toko over her. If it's for the sole reason to get to know her then Sachiko was dumb for not letting Yumi know. I mean yea there are related but who knows if Sachiko and Toko have seen each other in the past. The situation is giving off vibes that those two are probably spending time to get to know each other more. Regardless, I hope Yumi can get back up.

It's always good to see Sei as well, and if I'm not mistaken was that Eriko behind Sei.

Jun 13, 2015 12:31 PM

Jan 2010
From what I can tell, this show isn't about shoujo ai, or at least it's not its main focus. Instead, its focus is on the character relationships and interactions with an emphasis on dependency. Characters in this show are dependent on one another, as their relationships are built over the course of years at a time. Despite that, These same relationships can be broken down within a single scene, if not a single line of thought.

I'll say this though: it's difficult not to think of shoujo ai when watching dramatic scenes like this. The amount of distress put forth would otherwise be unwarranted, and thus an overreaction to the situation at hand. Of course, trying to measure a reasonable amount of drama is absurd, but at this point, Maria-sama ga Miteru shoujo ai implications are getting burdensome. As in, it dances around the issue with grace, rarely addressing it directly. As such, with scenes like the end of this episode, the shoujo ai is used as a crutch to justify the drama, yet it remains the elephant in the room.

The show will probably go deeper into this once it's close to ending, so for now it feels, for the lack of a better word, dragged out. As such, the opening monologue, which paints Lillian Girls' Academy as a perfect little part of God's garden, seems insincere. I understand for a show to go on for three seasons, at some point there has to be some dramatic point to keep peoples' interests, and with a monologue like that, there are obvious implications for everything to not be perfect. Yet, rather than expecting more from this show, I want less. It tries too much given its setting. I enjoy how each character has complexity to them, making them all an essential cog in the perpetually ticking clock of this anime, but as is, the entire cast comes across as a mess of emotional wreckage.

Thus far, Maria-sama ga Miteru is a strange show for me, as it seems, feels, and looks like something I would enjoy. It puts into question my favorite shows of the past, as I don't fully understand why this show isn't clicking with me. I appreciate all that this show attempts to do, and I hold it to a higher regard than similar shows, but perhaps I expected something with more grace and serenity than what is presented. Or, perhaps, that was never the intention, and I simply expected things that weren't important to the show. I don't dislike this show, but at the same time, I wonder if I approached this show in a wrong way.
Jun 20, 2015 11:27 AM

Feb 2014
-Sachiko acting like a ***
-Yumi acting as if Sachiko were the air she breathes.
-Yumi worrying over Sachiko, meanwhile, at the same time, Sachiko was turning Yumi down all the times and didn't give ANY consideration to her.
-Yumi running after the car Sachiko was in while she was leaving pissed me off.

Really.. this episode pissed me off!
TechOtakuJun 20, 2015 12:26 PM
Aug 4, 2015 5:43 AM

Dec 2012
It does seem like it will all be a huge misunderstanding, but I still don't really like how clingy Touko seems to be to Sachiko. It's just giving off mega NTR vibes every time she shows up to interrupt quiet time between Sachiko and Yumi. I get the feeling both will be in the wrong on this: that Sachiko isn't opening up enough while Yumi is (WAY) overly dependent on her.
Aug 4, 2015 8:46 PM

Jan 2014
I'm guessing this will probably turn out to be a big misunderstanding but I feel like both are at fault.

Yes Yumi is kind of too dependent on Sachiko but Sachiko seems kind of cold to Yumi compared to the other souers in this show. I'm hoping they will warm up more to each other in later episodes and seasons.

honestly this episode was quite infuriating but I do like it at the same time. Its only natural for someone Yumi's age to overreact and assume the worst.
Sep 14, 2015 11:33 AM

Dec 2012
What is wrong with Sachiko? She has always been rather mysterious, but this is too much, unless she's pulling some sort of a prank.

I also facepalmed when Yumi ran after the car in the rain LOL what a silly drama queen she is.
Nov 27, 2015 5:39 AM
Aug 2012
xchee said:
You can feel the jealousy jumping out of the screen. So good XD!

+1000! God, they need to talk and not running around the bush, crying and acting like bich a nd hysteric crybaby!
Jun 12, 2016 8:37 AM

Jun 2012
This was ridiculous. Yumi and Sachiko were just fine before this episode happened. Now suddenly Yumi is on the verge of giving her back her rosary. It just came out of nowhere.

I don't know why Sachiko just seems incredibly dense, when she can actually see Yumi crying her eyes out in front of her and for some reason just decides to leave her be. That's no way for her to act and obviously just makes Yumi worse.

It probably is a big misunderstanding but Sachiko and Yumi have zero communication with each other in this episode. Called it too when Sachiko called to cancel.
Jul 19, 2016 4:35 AM

Apr 2013
To preface this, let me say that Yumi is me. I understand completely what's going on in Yumi's head, and I appreciate it for the extremely authentic rendition, but I fucking hated this episode and I fucking hate Yumi. Well, I'm not exactly in love with myself, so it wasn't surprising that Yumi didn't fare too much better.

The melodrama is necessary, because Yumi is being melodramatic about this situation. She can't make a choice. She can't decide whether she wants to abandon Sachiko and escape this mess she's found herself in or reflect on her actions, recognise her fuck-up, apologise for it and return to the status quo. I thought she fell into the former camp, but then she fucking latches onto Sei as soon as she realises she can no longer depend on Sachiko. Make up your goddamn mind, Yumi!

Not only does her dependence on other people drag everyone else down, it also drags her down, ironically enough.

Don't be like Yumi.

Take it from an expert.
Apr 14, 2017 3:15 PM
Aug 2014
Yes Yumi is being overly emotional and dependant, but she is always like that. Meanwhile Sachiko seems completely oblivious to Yumi's jealousy of Touko.

My guess is Sachicko is probably busy with omiai (marriage talks) meetings.

Usually don't care for this type of drama, but this was really well done.
Apr 19, 2018 8:39 AM

Mar 2017
gawd. My heart really hurt watching this episode.
I am so annoyed at Touko though, why does she even need to be clingy with Sachiko like that. I know that they're related but.. she doesn't even care about Yumi's feelings.

THE DRAMA WAS TOO MUCH
I CANT TAKE IT LOL

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Jul 15, 2019 4:10 PM

Nov 2016
Aah, poor Yumi. I can see where she's coming from, but it's obviously just a misunderstanding.

Sachiko is oddly nonchalant or oblivious about this situation, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 1, 2019 10:39 AM

Oct 2015
That was pretty cold by Sachiko to Yumi, we can sum that she doesn't care about her. Yumi has been nothing but devoted to her and cherishes her so much, but she repays that by attending on another kouhai and endless cancels.

Stop this, Sachiko please!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 30, 2019 4:43 PM

Apr 2012
@Shocked What you call a relationship in itself is a kind of love in the context of this show. Girls love each other not as lovers or as friends, but as spiritual sisters in the "S relationship". I could compare this to shows like Eupho, Aria / Amanchu and partly Revue Starlight, which share the same cultural context.
Oct 17, 2021 5:49 AM

Aug 2018
Well, Sachiko was always like this.. Being on her own mind, not really supporting person, cold not on purpose lots of time person.. You know this, Yumi.. Know the person and this relationship for a long time.. Still not like it's for better or worse to stay in this relationship, I'd guess..
Feb 7, 2022 8:00 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
This episode hurt lol, so this can all be summed up as THIS IS ALL SACHIKO’S FAULT. At this point it honestly doesn’t matter what the true reason is behind Sachiko being unable to be with Yumi and is always with Touko, the fact Sachiko has let Yumi get to this state in the first place is terrible of her, she should have explained what’s going on to Yumi, her little sister, from the get go, the very first time she couldn’t go on the date with her. Of course Yumi might be fixated on Sachiko too much, but I still feel this is 99% on Sachiko lol. Sorry I went too hard on her, I still like her overall, just in this arc she’s definitely a villain.
Apr 20, 2022 6:48 PM

Jun 2014
If I were in Yumi's shoes, I'd feel exactly the same way. Sachiko shouldn't be leaving Yumi in the dark like this.

This isn't looking good for Yumi, but hopefully, things aren't as bad as they seem.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ Episode 13 Discussion

Teddy - Jul 19, 2008

31 by roarster »»
Jan 15, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ Episode 3 Discussion

Tsulaa - Jan 1, 2010

8 by sjmmoc »»
Jun 10, 2023 11:21 PM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru: Haru Episode 2 Discussion

Cratex - Feb 25, 2013

12 by symeon_a »»
Mar 9, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ Episode 8 Discussion

en_____ - Jan 23, 2010

16 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 16, 2023 10:35 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~ Episode 5 Discussion

Teddy - Jul 18, 2008

15 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 15, 2023 3:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.