Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 29, 2009 5:29 PM

Jun 2008
cant remember the exact episode but it was when Togusa's wife was doing stock trading on the computer, after they leave the room, the computer turns on and it seems as if some sort of program bought Serano-Genomix stocks, did i miss something along the way or was this never explained?

Aside from my little confusion, this was an awesome anime.
Jan 23, 2010 12:28 AM
Nov 2009
I was actually tricked by Batou when he was making fun of Togusa. When they started laughing at him i realized i was tricked also. Never had that happen before.
Feb 2, 2010 9:02 AM
Oct 2009
how come major did not die?
Apr 13, 2010 8:37 PM

Jul 2009
A great series. Eventough i'm not too impressed with it at the begining, but i'm glad i give it a try.

Next stop Stand Alone Complex GIG.
May 6, 2010 1:49 AM

Jul 2008
looks like they weren't sold out completely, though togasa was left out of the loop for a while, but the major is still alive after a dip in the net, and turns out aoi the laughing man works at a library- figures
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 31, 2010 6:36 PM

Jun 2008
WOW. The remote body got me. That was "intelligent". Seemingly like a deus ex machina, but actually makes sense since she pointed to her wrist, and that her safe house has several prothestic bodies. But I didn't know that was possible. That even if it's a remote body and cyberbrain, the death of the body doesn't influence the actual cyberbrain at all, eh? It looks like she went briefly into the net to connect to her actual cyberbrain. Anyone can confirm?

What I don't get though is why the Umibozu wanted her assassinated in the first place. Everybody else was imprisoned. What's the motive? Just because she's the leader? When the Chief is actually the brain of Section 9?

Damn it all, Serano either hacked or assassinated. Looks like 2nd GIGs would still be about the Assemblyman.

Standalone Episodes had some charm, but didn't grab my interest all that much. Though when I was watching GitS, it always surprised me that I watched like 6 episodes in a row without noticing it.

I guess a 9. But since I rate a series as a whole instead of just one season, S2 might change this.
mrSmiles said:
cant remember the exact episode but it was when Togusa's wife was doing stock trading on the computer, after they leave the room, the computer turns on and it seems as if some sort of program bought Serano-Genomix stocks, did i miss something along the way or was this never explained?

I want to know this too, I guess it's in S2.
Sep 16, 2010 1:05 AM

Jul 2010
Strife91 said:
Well, truly a great anime but I'm a bit confused. English is not my native language so it gets a bit confusing with the politics and computer talk. So why was Section9 framed? And who is the real laughing man? Aoi or the man who assassinated Serano?

I think Section 9 was framed to provide the impetus for the Ministry of Justice to actually prosecute Secretary General Yakushima once the Lower House elections were over and he no longer had the protection of the Prime Minister... or something along those lines...lol
Aoi says that he stumbled across a letter on the net, probably intended as a threat to Serrano Genomics, that elaborates on both the effectiveness of the Murai vaccine as a treatment for Cyberbrain Sclerosis and the ineffectiveness of Serrano Genomics' nanomachine treatment and this is what caused him to take action. So technically the person that wrote that letter is the real Laughing Man and Aoi is just another mimicker.
I can't quite remember but I think the guy at the end who (probably) assassinates Serrano is the same guy who killed Nanao Ei. He's probably from some shady government intelligence organisation or something.
josofo said:
how come major did not die?

The body that was sniped was being remotely controlled by her.

Gotta love Togusa's internal monologue, he's such a nut - I can't believe he was actually going to assassinate the Secretary General lol
Nov 6, 2010 10:18 PM

May 2010
What remote controlled body again? So she knew...

Why didn't take Aoi or "arrest" him?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 11, 2010 11:48 AM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:
What remote controlled body again? So she knew...

Why didn't take Aoi or "arrest" him?

Probably because he was vital in solving the case, think of it as a "thank you."

Motoko is almost always one step ahead of even the viewer. I think I fall even more in love with this series every time I watch it. Increased my score to 9/10.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 18, 2010 5:17 AM

Mar 2009
Am I the only one who is bothered that Section Nine apparently already has their resources back? Even if Aramaki had already taken the steps to set it up again, I find it weird that they were just handed a couple of helicopters after that scandal.
Dec 7, 2010 12:57 PM

Aug 2009
Loved it! Great series, I am dying to get my hands on the OST now. 9/10
Jan 25, 2011 1:02 PM

Sep 2008
Amazing series. And once again I am disappointed in MAL viewers' lack of appreciation for amazing writing on a semi-episodic show. Shows like Champloo, bebop, Mushishi, kinos journey etc have proven that a good 'stand alone' episode can be as good as a good 'complex' episode any time any day. The standalone complex format here made a lot of sense since agencies don't work on just one case forever; they also have other assignments to do. Also, the standalone eps followed a time-line and a lot of things that happened in them connected to complex eps as well (tachikomas, Batous development, Togusa, that assemblyman whose daughter they saved etc)
The consistency of the eps was impressive. Not a single one was even close to being mediocre. In fact, I felt the series's writing was more consistent than bebop and champloo, two of my fav shows.

I also dont see how the series would have been better if ALL 26 episodes were based on laughing man. That lack of variety would have been boring and the series wouldve got a 7 or 8 at best from me.

For a directorial debut, this was some impressive work, really

9/10

PS: Loved those Tachikomas. Adding them to fav character list...

Tachii said:

What I don't get though is why the Umibozu wanted her assassinated in the first place. Everybody else was imprisoned. What's the motive? Just because she's the leader? When the Chief is actually the brain of Section 9?

I think its probably to weaken/handicap section 9. Shes the teams op leader afterall, and one of the best hackers.

mrSmiles said:

I want to know this too, I guess it's in S2.

That guy in the episode had this software that had access to all the info on the market as well as access to the accounts of all the people who traded on the stock exchange. My guess is he was either helping these people earn money by doing the buy/sell for them, or it was manipulating the market to maximize its profits.
eyerokJan 26, 2011 1:50 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 3, 2011 8:48 PM

Nov 2009
Well, I think that was a great ending. This series gives a lot to think about, with a lot of questions brought up throughout.

I really enjoyed the Stand Alone episodes, many of them were very good. There was a lot of good development, as well as many great scenes.

If I had to pick my favourite episodes, it would have to be the later episodes, when the Complex episodes begin and continue till the end of the series(around the 20th episode or so). The other episodes were very good, but some of the episodes nearing the end just blew me away, and made me love the show even more.
Jul 18, 2011 4:10 PM

Dec 2009
Nice, gentle ending. Really feels like 'stay tuned till the next' or a 'to be continued' sequence. Look forward to season 2.
Such junk...
Nov 19, 2011 6:36 PM

Feb 2009
So the Laughing Man had the disease himself. That was great dialogue between Motoko and the man himself, and I think everything was neatly explained, incuding the phenomenon of The Laugjing Man and how it wss triggered. Great concept btw.

This is the kind of series I like and GitS was spectacular in every way. Solid 9/10, and now on to rest.
Mar 5, 2012 3:37 PM

Aug 2010
This show was outstanding. Kind of a shame that Aoi didn't join the crew, that would of had been cool.

Giving this a 9/10 for intelligent plot, good characters, and glorious OST.
Mar 13, 2012 8:25 AM
Nov 2011
A little less than a masterpiece but nonetheless, mersmerizing. 9/10, definitely.
Apr 20, 2012 3:54 PM
Apr 2012

Tachii said:

I think its probably to weaken/handicap section 9. Shes the teams op leader afterall, and one of the best hackers.

My take is, as planned by Aramaki, at some point the Umibozu are given orders not to kill the members of Section 9. In fact, after blowing up Sec 9 building, you can see that the Umibozu always try to capture Section 9 members first, before shooting to kill.

In fact I think that, without knowing, the members of Section 9 made things worst by killing the Umibozu giving them all the excuses to retaliate and shoot them back. In other words, all that fight and massacre between the Umibozu and Section 9 could have been stopped if Sec 9 members would simply surrender.

After Batou, Motoko and the Tachikomas were involved in the killing of so many Umibozu (several soldiers and 2 armored suits) near Motoko's house I guess the obvious response would be eliminate the second in command after Aramaki, Motoko and try to capture if possible, Batou.
Apr 29, 2012 2:36 PM
Oct 2010
senerikfred said:
Am I the only one who is bothered that Section Nine apparently already has their resources back? Even if Aramaki had already taken the steps to set it up again, I find it weird that they were just handed a couple of helicopters after that scandal.

yes. aramaki had connections to several top heads at various agencies. the team being reinstated and going business as usual isnt all that farfetched.

watched it for teh millionth time now and i still love it. the story, characters, dialogue and the whole GITS world is tied in so wonderfully. kamiyama did an epic job on both series.

what i thogutht of who was at the end of the last ep was that it was the commander of the umibozu. could be wrong though
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jun 7, 2012 8:31 PM

Jul 2011
I think the anime could've ended a little differently, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! 9/10.
I noticed the fillers, though they were enjoyable regardless.

Now to watch the movies and S2. 8D

Dammit. I love Aoi. :P
MirorinJun 7, 2012 8:35 PM
Jun 7, 2012 9:49 PM
Jun 2012
Love the series but can somebody clear something up for me please? After everything goes down in the episode 26, when section 9 is back on track. It closes with what looks like the 1st episode of the series. So is episode 26 the prequel to episode 1 and the series either started on episode 2,3,or 4?? im kinda lost here. because there certain parts that look like the first episode of the series at the end of episode 26 but then there's parts that dont look like it. i just need closure on that point! haha please help! thanks! :)
Jun 8, 2012 5:48 AM

Oct 2009
mooneyes1114 said:
Love the series but can somebody clear something up for me please? After everything goes down in the episode 26, when section 9 is back on track. It closes with what looks like the 1st episode of the series. So is episode 26 the prequel to episode 1 and the series either started on episode 2,3,or 4?? im kinda lost here. because there certain parts that look like the first episode of the series at the end of episode 26 but then there's parts that dont look like it. i just need closure on that point! haha please help! thanks! :)

The closing scenes with Section 9 mobilising are reminiscent of the first episode to show that the team is back in action, that's all.
Jun 8, 2012 2:48 PM
Jun 2012
The closing scenes with Section 9 mobilising are reminiscent of the first episode to show that the team is back in action, that's all.

haha ok wow. thanks 4 clearin that up. there was jus something so dissatisfying about my 1st thoughts on it being true but im glad u cleared that up for me! THX!!! :)
Jun 16, 2012 9:25 PM

Jul 2009
I'm guessing Motoko was the only one who got killed because it was after all her face on TV. So, the public/insiders needed a body.

Anyway, amazing series nonetheless. I think it portrays reality pretty well. The emotions each character has, even the support casts (i.e. the politicians/criminals), everything was done very well. I can't help but give this series a 9. I have to admit it was often hard to follow, and very content heavy, but even from the gist of the story, it was extremely entertaining/insightful.

I look forward to the 2nd season.
Jul 13, 2012 2:34 AM

Jan 2012
It was great to look at Togusa's face when he saw the team back together. You can tell he couldn't believe his eyes. I laughed so hard when Ishkawa was talking about Botou's reaction to when the Major was shot. Along with the combination of the team getting back together, it made it a real heartfelt moment.

I loved the series and am finally glad to have given it a chance. I give it a 9/10!
Sep 11, 2012 3:24 AM

Jul 2012
The Final in this Season was spectacular!

The previous episodes made you wonder what would happen to section 9 but that all made sense in the final! Now to the task at hand.

I must say that the last 3 episodes and so on have been so overwhelming, especially with information that it's making it to watch a little fuzzy from time to time. There's nothing bad about it. I just mean that there's so much to acknowledge from time to time while watching that you just have to re-watch them to fully understand it.. I haven't done it yet but there will without doubts be re-watching these episodes!

I guess now the laughing man case is solved when reaching its final after almost the whole season.
Didn't really get what was going on in the very end when she leaped from the building and the whole team was unto something. Was it the very case they had been working with or was is more of a flashy ending to a following second season!? Anyway.. It was a super cool ending. maybe just showing us that section 9 still lives on? Hmmph.. This is what I mean. This anime just makes you think bout' so much stuff I wouldn't normally do... It's just so overwhelming and craves fully ones attention!

I'll give it a 10/10 but would give higher like 100/10 if I could!

// Our fantasy is what is making it a reality! -- Now for a nap.. so sleepy.
I like to put my fingers on my midi-keyboard sometimes

https://soundcloud.com/agithascastlemusic
Sep 13, 2012 9:52 PM

Jun 2011
one more awesome episode
9/10
Sep 23, 2012 9:46 AM

Oct 2008
Did anybody here who read "The Catcher in the Rye" notice the "fuck you" carved near the stairs? Just like it was naer the end of the book..
I only noticed this now that I've re watched it.
Oct 9, 2012 9:21 AM

Nov 2011
Haha, what a good ending episode. I guess laughing man can't join Section 9 because then the second season would be too boring. Section 9 would be invincible with him lol.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 24, 2012 8:45 AM

May 2012
Excellent!!! And I really like it when the other guys are teasing Batou about the Major.. haha.. Glad to see that they will be back! Too bad that Aoi refused the Chief's offer.. he will be a great addition to the team :) Anyway, it's an excellent and entertaining anime.. :)
Nov 19, 2012 7:35 PM

Dec 2010
I just found a nice anime stream on jtv. It's currently being played here http://www.justin.tv/arconai_136#/w/4211272656/3
Dec 22, 2012 5:14 PM

May 2012
Not the best ending but was still nice, it really rounded off and at the same time brought an opening for the next season! In general the whole anime wasn't all to bad but I wasn't all overjoyed by many episodes as they where boring and didn't entertain me all to well, although it was a nice and interesting watch!

Lets see what the second season has to offer but first the movie summery of this serie ! 8/10
Dec 24, 2012 7:46 AM

Jan 2012
And so it ends. Well I have to say the ending was perfect. I was glad to see that all the team is alive and well. The series were incredibly interesting.

Feb 28, 2013 1:27 PM

Jun 2008
So many cheapskates, going 9/10 but not giving a full 10. Yeah i know you think that maybe there is always something better and hesitate to give that 10 but after you watch a tone of anime you realize that ain't lots of Ghost in the Shell going around and should
appreciate it more.

Also i don't get why some of you people call the stand alone episodes as boring filler and shit. Almost all of them where quite nice little stories and considering the time limitations and such they where directed pretty much perfectly. Also without those episodes the other episodes would have seem less colorful and the characters and their world more distant. Those episodes drove the familiarity with the characters and gave a perspective on the current world in the Ghost in the Shell universe and the team.

Anyway due to Arise arriving in a few months i thought to re-watch the SAC series and damn i am so happy that even re-watching after so many years the series still is the awesome stuff i remember it to be and the Major fully deserves the favorite character spot it has in my profile all this years.
The only thing that seems slightly less impressive that what i remembered is the artwork but hey now is more than a ten years old series. Considering that fact it shows it was quite well made since it can be watched even now and not feel like something made in a different era. I doubt other series would have managed to look better in that time.
Mar 10, 2013 11:31 AM

Jul 2012
Awesome series, i don't really know what to post lol, except that this one it's going to my favorites.
Mar 26, 2013 11:06 AM
Aug 2011
What was it about Aoi having those hexagons all over his head? Did he have multiple brain? I heard something like that from their conversation but i've probably misheard because it sounds just stupid.
Apr 7, 2013 8:57 AM

Sep 2012
After watching both the movies, I had to check at this series and I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed the series and it's one of my favourites. Mokoto is going down as one of my favourite characters of all time
Apr 21, 2013 7:17 PM

Oct 2012
So, I'm quite confused about one part of the series, having to do with the complex episodes. From what I understand, the man wrongly accused of being labeled the Laughing Man happened to stumble across the blackmail email unveiling the thesis about the rejection of the Murai Vaccine (the cure for cyberbrain sclerosis) in favor of the inferior microchips, which (the email) was created by the supposed original unknown Laughing Man. From that point The man accused of being the Laughing Man (at the end of anime) decided to take matters into his own hands; however, he stated he wasn't at all responsible for the actual consecutive blackmailing of these microchip corporations, but that it was actually the assemblyman, some public official, that used the initial blackmail by the Laughing Man as a means of furthering the blackmails in some way.

This is the part(end of paragraph) that I'm confused about. What exactly did the assemblyman and his colleagues do to blackmail these microchip corporations? I recall them mentioning in the show that the assemblyman would guarantee that they would publicly announce that the blackmailing incidents by the Laughing Man would stop if the companies would provide some sort of "public donation" in return. This is where I didn't understand what the hell was going on. Can someone please explain this to me?

A second question of mine is involved with the earlier laughing man episodes, there was the incident with Togusa's old police academy friend, who was killed by the higher ups in the police force when he stumbled upon the truth of the the police putting interceptors illegally in their subordinates' eyes without them knowing, leading to the public hearing with Commissioner where he is threatened by the laughing man who hijacked one of the police security guards. Were the police also in league with the government officials who were responsible for the corporate blackmailings? Why did the Laughing Man target the Commissioner?

Why did The government officials try to stop the public unveiling of the scandal of the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare to approve the application of microchips and turning down the Murai Vaccine by using the DEA to silence the Sunflower Society? Is it because it would somehow lead to the revelation of the corporate blackmailing they were involved in?

A little help

Apr 27, 2013 12:52 PM

Jul 2012
This show definitely surprised the HELL out of me. The characters, pacing, music, art, animation and story all fit nicely. Loved the Catcher in the Rye references! tbh, I kind of liked this series more than the movies. I even enjoyed the "fillers" that some didn't. I hope season two will be just as great.

Off we go~
May 30, 2013 8:01 AM

Apr 2013
The ending was great. Its good to see that all the members of the Section 9 are alive and well. So the one who abandoned that file in the net was the original Laughing man. Too bad that Aoi declined the offer to join the team, but its ok.
The series had a very twisted and mind blowing plot especially the last 2 episodes. I hope that the second season will be as good as this one or even better.
I will give it a 10/10.
Always-HungryMay 30, 2013 10:08 AM
Jun 1, 2013 2:39 PM

Mar 2010
Great anime,one of the best sci-fi out there.
Jun 2, 2013 10:40 AM

Apr 2013
One of the best animes I have ever seen, wow!

Going to have to start 2nd gig soon :D
Powerful eyebrows.
Jun 25, 2013 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

End of season awesome, not too good maybe a few episodes, but the speed with which they were addressed, but overall everything went smoothly and look forward to a second season at the same level!
Sep 5, 2013 10:56 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing. Love this anime soo much!!!
Major is soo awesome haha.

I think Major wans't always usinga remote body until the end when she used the clone of her younger self so she could get batou.

So what happens at the end when AOI and Major has the talk?
Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.- Tifa lockhart
Which is it? A memory or us? -Tifa lockhart
Sep 18, 2013 10:46 PM

May 2012
It seems I'm one of the few that wasn't too impressed with this series. I think one of my biggest problems with the show was the divide between the Stand Alone and Complex episodes since it disturbed the flow. Not to mention that the quality of the Stand Alone episodes varied from really good to downright boring. Thanks to this I wasn't really compelled to watch until around episode 20 which is why it took me more than 3 months to actually finish it. Also, I was a little disappointed with the Laughing Man. It was a nice twist that he actually wasn't a bad guy but I can't help but feel he was underutilized.

With all that said though I'd give it a 7/10(Great music, English Dub and interesting ideas)and will probably end up watching season 2 soon.
Oct 6, 2013 1:22 PM

Oct 2013
Loved this show. Wish I watched it sooner!

9/10
Oct 27, 2013 12:02 AM

Jul 2013
I thought this series was fantastic, I loved the Serrano assassination scene because I was wondering what happened to that guy after he killed Nanao-A. At least I assume that's the same guy so it felt like a sequel hook of sorts. I'm definitely looking forward to 2nd GIG now, I'm almost regretting not jumping straight into this after liking the movies.

The only thing I don't understand though is, they technically killed all those Special Forces guys for no reason right? That explains why the one Exo-Skeleton pilot flips out on Batou in episode 25. That's pretty messed up and seems conveniently forgotten simply because they weren't in on Aramaki's plan.

Anyway easy 9/10 for me.
Nov 20, 2013 6:13 AM
Sep 2013
Not a bad show...it did a great job balancing action with drama and mystery elements, and resulted in a pretty consistently enjoyable show.

That said, I do feel the series is a bit overrated. I really wish they would have just expanded on the Laughing Man arc and made it a persistent story, instead of a revisited plot (referred to as "Complex Episodes" in the series) in an otherwise episodic show. My issue is that other than the Laughing Man, none of the other episodes really stand out, especially if you compare them to some other episodic series like Cowboy Bebop or Kino's Journey. Both of those shows were almost entirely episodic, yet each of those single episode arcs are completely memorable, as are the characters involved in each. The only independent story (which are labelled as "Stand Alone" episodes) I really think I'll carry with me from SAC is the episode where the guy put his brain in the tank and goes rogue to find his parents.
ExtendedRenegadeNov 20, 2013 6:20 AM
Dec 13, 2013 7:18 PM

May 2011
Utterly silenced. Great masterpiece. The Stand Alone episodes in my opinion were not fillers. They were extremely important in bringing out the characterisation of not just the characters, but also the societal state, the political scene, and even the mindsets of the Tachikomas. In addition, the Complex episodes promised us with great action and thriller, with some of the best twists (though predictable) in them. 10/10.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 22, 2013 5:47 AM

Apr 2012
I'm not really a huge fan of this genre but this is a great cyber punk anime although some of the episodes felt boring. The animation is severely fluid and totally blow many TV series anime today and the CGI is probably one of the best that i have seen in anime as it really works and blend successfully in the hand drawn animation.

Oh and the Tachikomas are adorable as fuck.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 22 Discussion

aero - Sep 8, 2008

44 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.