Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 17, 2008 3:45 PM

Apr 2008
So you're sat down, in your room or on the sofa watching your latest anime.

And either your mum or your dad walks in and actually sits and watches the anime for a short while.

What usually happens?

My mum did this when me and my brother were watching FMA, we were on possible the 4th or 5th episode.

So she's watching it.

First question...

"Why is that boy in a suit of armour?"

Immediately I groan, roll my eyes and try to explain.

Second question...

"Why does that boy have a metal arm?"

More groan with more explaination, going into more detail.

Finally I get a blank look and "Well this is depressing, I dont know how you can watch crap like this"

And then she walks off.

Its great how mothers are capable of summing something up within 5 minutes.

Anyone else had anything like this happen?
"It would be biased not too"
Me

"what do you mean we're out of toner?"
Random Office Worker

"Hey! arent you that bearded guy from TV?"
Random Chav
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2008 3:49 PM
Nov 2007
my mom walked in on me watching dubbed inuyasha. and kagome was all "INUYASHAAAA"

and my mom like. tried imitating kagome's squeaky annoying voice and ended up saying "inuyashaaa inuyasha !!" for like the next few hours.

talk about orz
Jul 17, 2008 3:51 PM
Aug 2007
Actually, this doesn't apply to me mostly. I either watch my anime DVDs while mum's at work or for the stuff on TV I do watch (see: Kiba & Code Geass) it's on the computer.

My mum's shown interest in Code Geass, tho'. But she's already an anime fan, so it's not a big deal (that's ShelleyRunyon @ MAL, yup)

Dad's only interested in DragonBall and stuff like that, but I've never watched anime around him. No good reason, the two events have just never happened together :3
Jul 17, 2008 3:51 PM

Apr 2008
To Crowslayer

oh god that sounds annoying.

My mum sometimes decides to say

"Have they got married yet?"
"Have they said they love each other?"
"Is it going to be a happy ending?"

For pretty much everything.

I just sit there wishing for a wall to appear infront of my head
Me

Random Office Worker

Random Chav
Jul 17, 2008 3:53 PM

Feb 2008
My parents have never seen me watch anime, so I don't have to worry about that. However, whenever I watch anything at all with my dad in the room, or when I am in the room while he watches something, all he does is make comments about it. Which is why he will never watch anime with me.
Jul 17, 2008 4:03 PM

Jul 2008
A few years ago I was watching Inuyasha and my dad walks in, stares at the TV long enough for one of Kagome's cries for help and he goes "Those guys have weird names... Ainuyosha."

I laughed and replied, "Inuyasha. And they're Japanese names."

"Oh... They're stupid names." And he walks away.

Another time my mom walks in to me watching Howl's Moving Castle. I was watching the Japanese track with subtitles and she asks: "You have to read it all?"

"No, but I want to."

"That's dumb." And she leaves a few minutes later.

So since anime is dumb and stupid to my parents they tend to ignore it and therefore I'm the only person in my family that likes anime. (My brother is more of a gamer)
Jul 17, 2008 6:36 PM

May 2007
My dad walked in on me watching Madlax a year or so ago. There was a kickass action scene going on at the time, and my dad being the action buff that he is, sat down and watched the next 4 episodes with me. He said the plot made no sense, but the awesome action scenes made up for it. Now he loves gunslinger animes. XD

My mum on the other hand, will sit there and comment on EACH and EVERY thing she doesn't understand about the show, which is exactly why I don't watch anime when she's around.

❝goodbyes are always hard, no matter how you might try to make them easier.❞

Jul 17, 2008 7:00 PM

Jun 2008
lol i don't have any real stories as interesting as these...my mom walked in on me watching inuyasha once at like, 12:45am on a school night. i muted it while she yelled at me and then she kept asking me what i was watching it, so i nervously unmuted it (since at that time she was real picky about what i watched) but she didn't really care.

i think ever since my sailor moon days, she's accepted that i love anime and doesn't question it haha.
Jul 17, 2008 7:08 PM

Mar 2008
I got my mom to watch some episodes of Excel Saga (which she found stupid but funny at the same time), She didn't understand Utena and Cowboy Bebop.
She did enjoy Kiki's Delivery Service...... :]
Jul 17, 2008 7:34 PM

Jul 2008
whenever my parents have seen me watching anime, they ask me how Naruto is doing, or "which one is Naruto" -- never mind that the show is almost never Naruto.
Every day you spend without a smile, is a lost day.
Jul 17, 2008 7:55 PM
Mar 2008
my dad comes into my room to tell me something and sometimes he'll just stand behind me and watch it with me . . . . . awkward OTL he'll stay for like 5 minutes then leave. My mom is the one who is all like "I don't know why you waste your time watching this stuff" *dies*
Jul 17, 2008 9:40 PM

May 2008
My Mum doesn't really care that much. She'll just catch me in the living room, look up at the tv and say, "When is this over? I've got a show to watch."

My Dad on the other hand will always stare at the screen for a few minutes and say something along the lines of, "You're messed, kid."
Jul 17, 2008 10:48 PM

Jul 2007
My parents mocked it when I was in high school, but when I got to college and they realized I was still into it, they finally recognized this wasn't just some childish fad and that it was actually my hobby. They don't like it, but they don't seem to hate it either.

Best parental moment was when I got off work when I was 16 and my dad was waiting in the car, reading my copy of Love Hina Vol. 1. I got in and he handed it to me. Only said one thing; "Don't let your mom find this."
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 18, 2008 1:09 AM
Jul 2008
Bah, I do not have any interesting stories like these. Best I got is this: My mother largely ignores it (aside from the fact that she didn't like the swearing in adult swim shows), and my dad rolls his eyes alot.
Jul 18, 2008 1:21 AM

Oct 2007
My parents first saw me watching pokemon when i was young then DBZ and now that Im still into anime generally they cant seem to understand why Im still into it (age 20). My Father calls it: "Chinese cartoons" and my mother is trying her best to acknowledge it as a hobby of mine in which she fails big time. My little brother (17) often "confuses" it with "cartoon sex" because everytime he enters my room a panty shot or other forms off fanservice are being displayed.

But its the language that is hard for them to accept. They found it easily annyoing. Also on my desktop I got a wallpaper picturing Rei from NGE. And my father found it weird and is probaly worrying about my love life now ;p
Jul 18, 2008 1:33 AM

Apr 2008
My parents don't actually know yet, but I guess my mum would probably ignore it (she doesn't like subtitles) and think it's all a bit childish. Depending on the anime in question, my dad could just ignore it, think it's a bit childish, or ask me a little about it.

You know, I'm convinced my parents would like Monster if it wasn't in Japanese.
Jul 18, 2008 2:37 AM

Jan 2008
My Mom knows pretty well what I do with my spare time. She even lets me flame my rage about how sad the Tomoyo After is going to be and how much I'll cry when I watch it.
The only bad thing is that she calls them 'those cartoons that you always watch' D:
And my dad knows and probably doesn't care.
Jul 18, 2008 2:29 PM

Jun 2008
I think the first anime my parents came in on was Sailor Moon. They mostly just think of anime as any other cartoon I watched. They thought some of it was weird but didn't think much of it.
Jul 18, 2008 2:36 PM

Apr 2008
I try to avoid watching anime with them around.
Don't really watch anime on TV, anyway.
[:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2008 2:41 PM

Apr 2008
Well I live with my dad and we don't spend that much time together, so never XD
But when I watch with my mom sometimes she seems understanding, same with one of my brothers ^^
Jul 18, 2008 2:43 PM

Feb 2008
I'm always trying to show my parents cool anime to try to turn them onto it, but I can never convince them. My mom compares Miyazaki to being high, and my dad finds it too prissy. So yeah, I've been mostly unsuccessful. Though my dad like Stand Alone Complex.
Jul 18, 2008 3:21 PM
Mar 2008
My mom hates everything I do...
Watch anime...collect guns...paint resin statues...
Jul 18, 2008 3:30 PM

Jan 2008
It use to be she would hear me watch DBZ so much, that she use to try and say Kamehameha. Which would be followed by here laughing and thinking it's was so hilarious while I looked embarrassed when there was no one around.>_>

And your mom is right. If you just hear the basic parts of how Ed and Al got the way they are FMA would come off as depressing.
Jul 18, 2008 5:30 PM

Jul 2008
Whenever someone from my family walks in on me watching anime, I turn it off real quick before they see it. My brother would just make some idiotic comment, like "Why are you watching stupid anime crap?"

My mom just says stuff like "What are those cartoons called again?"

I don't think my dad knows I watch anime, but he would probably make fun of me too.

*sigh*
Jul 18, 2008 8:00 PM

May 2008
My mom's pretty good about it...she doesn't care to watch it herself, but she lets me do what I want. I started watching it in college, so she really didn't find out until I was already into it. My dad doesn't say much either, so I don't think he really cares either way. I don't watch it around them too much at all. My sister, however, is the one who gives me a whole lot of grief...she thinks I'm the biggest dork on the face of the planet. :) Oh well, I can't help that I like it so much! :)

Jul 19, 2008 5:28 AM

Apr 2008
Some good stories coming out, there seems to be a pattern forming.

I wonder what we will all be like when we finally have children...

Probably even more embarrassing seen as we will actually watch it and enjoy it and even if our kids appreciate it, towards their friends we will always be an embarrassment.

My mums watched some Ghibli films.

She only really liked Howls Moving castle.

Nausicaa and Spirited away she couldnt get into.

She couldnt even figure out the voice actors for some of them.

Like Patrick Stewart
Me

Random Office Worker

Random Chav
Jul 19, 2008 5:38 AM

Mar 2008
Both me and my sister are interested in anime and manga so we often watch together, and because of that we also talks about it, often at the dinner table. And just because of that my mum have made a rule "NO MANGA OR ANIME AT DINNER TABLE". WE do not always keep to that rule, but she tries hard XD

But at least she helps me making my cosplay uniforms, and because of that she have now learned how Roy Mustang from FMA and Pip Bernadotte from Hellsing looks like, even if she have no idea what so ever about who they are or what they do XD

"One day, we'll set out to sea! And live our lives the way we want!!" - Ace to Luffy, both chasers of dreams
Jul 19, 2008 6:44 AM

May 2008
Splitter said:
My parents mocked it when I was in high school, but when I got to college and they realized I was still into it, they finally recognized this wasn't just some childish fad and that it was actually my hobby. They don't like it, but they don't seem to hate it either.

that's my case too ^^
Jul 19, 2008 7:04 AM

Oct 2007
My mom not only accepts my anime, she likes a lot of it. She really enjoyed Fate/Stay Night and Shakugan no Shana.

We rage together at the end of a lot of anime. We both hate sad endings. XD
You can find me on IRC.
Jul 19, 2008 9:49 AM

Sep 2007
Since we are 3 children and all of us are interested in anime my parents often watched the older stuff like DBZ, Pokémon or Digimon together with us, though they don't like the stuff I'm watching now.

One day I was watching Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu in our living room, they joined me a few minutes and were like: 'You really think this is funny?'.
First episode of Strike Witches was also epic. My sister watched it with me and was like: 'Well, it's okay, isn't it? Cute nekomimi-girls.' Suddenly my Mom entered the room: 'Wow, why don't they wear pants?'

Dinner table discussions are funny, too. Everyone always has this WTF-face when my brother and I are talking about the D.gray-man Manga.
'You've seen that characters new attack? Great, isn't it?' 'Yes, but <insert character name> also rocks with his gun and his <insert other manga-specific term>.' Bla,bla.
KraytJul 19, 2008 10:23 AM
Jul 19, 2008 10:19 AM

Mar 2008
Sometimes me and my sister just enjoy this fact about the "WTF-faces". Even other otakus would be confused since we we mix manga with our own jokes XD

"One day, we'll set out to sea! And live our lives the way we want!!" - Ace to Luffy, both chasers of dreams
Jul 19, 2008 11:13 AM

Apr 2008
My computer is on my own room, I don't even think that my folks know that it's called Anime... they're not THAT interested in anime part of my life :p
Whenever someone walks in room and sees me watching anime.... well mostly they just say nothing about it and aren't really long in the room anywayz =p
Little brother's reaction is ... variates from the anime :p But mostly he finds it stupid and wants to watch Simpsons (I keep trying... he says he doesn't like anime, but I KNOW HE DOES , cuz he liked Maburaho too ! :p)
Jul 19, 2008 3:04 PM

Jul 2008
My parents think that anime are stuff for children, so when I was still a teenager they used to make fun of me. When my father entered the room while I was watching an anime with my sister (she's also interested), he used to say "Noemi...", that is my youngest cousin's name, meaning "You are doing something that a seven years old child would do".
Now I'm 22 and they seem to understand that it is a passion for me. But I was at the phone with my mother one month ago and I said her: "You know, I'm very happy because I have finally found all the Obana-sensei's manga, and she's my favorite mangaka. Do you remember that anime that I used to watch when I was 15 (Kodomo no omocha was on air in Italy in 2001), that was my favorite one? It is from a manga of hers. But you hated it". And she answered "No, I never hated the cartoons that you watched, the only one that I didn't like was that one with that annoying girl who screamed a lot (meaning Sana in Kodocha) and also that other one with those horrible pirates (One Piece! *sound of my heart crushing*). And I: "Er, right, they are two of my three favorits above all". It's obvious that we don't shere the same taste.
Jul 19, 2008 3:24 PM
Nov 2007
my dad has read dragon ball and accepts my passion for anime and manga.
mom doesn't realy care that much (she's more concerned about all the time i spend in front of the computer :P)

my sister is the problem, i actualy got her to read Azumanga Daioh and she liked it, it's the language she can't stand. she overheard a groaning noise from beck and started making it for the rest of the day, just to mock me. i dont really care that much, but it can get annoying when she goes on about me being childish and stupid for watching such "lame" series, but when she does i just start harassing her for being into rap and tv-dramas (yelling fuck, mothafucka, yo and saying things like "oh, Josh. i cannot live without you" with a really fucked up voice xD) she kinda hates me xP
Jul 20, 2008 3:54 PM

Jun 2008
My mother does not like animated stuff at all.
But my father sometimes watched at least some anime movies with me. "Spirited Away" or "Castle In The Sky" for example. And he seemed to like them somehow.
Jul 20, 2008 4:39 PM

Apr 2008
my parents think anime is a waste of time and i should do something better with my time, i have no clue why they hate it so much, but whatever i still watch it anyways ;)
Jul 20, 2008 4:57 PM

Jul 2007
hmmm it would've been an interesting topic, but i can barely see any flow from comment to comment, since everyone's just posting their few cents... not to mention this has got to be the 3rd or 4th topic ive seen on family and anime...

well, my mom just always tells me
"I used to read those too, stop now before its too late"
lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2008 7:40 PM

Jul 2008
My mother doesn't really mind it when I watch anime, surprisingly, but she really doesn't seem to put an interest in anything I do at this point. She liked Spirited Away when I dragged her to see it in theaters all those years ago, but I probably wouldn't drag her to something like that again. As for my father... no comment. Don't live with him, haven't seen him in ages, no clue.
That's right, I went there.
Jul 20, 2008 7:57 PM
Jul 2018
I got my Mom's BF to watch Trigun with me. He seemed to like it. My parents make fun of me for it, but it's harmless really. They know I like it, so they just don't bother me. However, my Mom did make a comment about how Shinji in Neon Genesis Evangelion was whiny when she came in while I was watching it. :P
Jul 20, 2008 8:37 PM

Aug 2006
Well, not much from my side. I'm very careful with what I watch with others around but I can say that my mother has enjoyed Howl's moving castle and the first ep of Aria the animation.
Too bad she considers it a total waste of productive time. -_-

Jul 20, 2008 9:55 PM

Jul 2008
I tend to try and explain the animes I'm watching to my Mum, and being that she's trying her best to sound like she's interested, she'll take the information in. But, it's clearly not her thing, as it's easy to see through her facade of false interest :P.

Still, it won't stop me bending her ear when my brother isn't around. If I've seen something awesome, I have to tell someone.

Jul 20, 2008 10:10 PM
May 2007
my parents think watching anime is very childish for a teen.. cant tell the diff between normal cartoon and anime..
my dad is like, "y dont u wunt real ppl movies and shows?"
i m like,"i seen them alot so im watching anime now..lol"
Jul 20, 2008 11:48 PM

Jul 2008
Ah funny topic for me...

When I still lived with my mother, I used to talk to her about anime a lot - she was never really interested, but pretended to be. I tried once to get her to watch an anime with me - more specifically Utawarerumono. She said she enjoyed it but it was always a pain to get her to watch the next episode.

Now I'm living alone, and I sometimes go over to my father's place - since he found out that I'm so obsessed with anime he asked to watch some with me in an attempt at "father and son" bonding, and surprisingly he seems to genuinely enjoy it. I showed him Fate/Stay Night first, and he liked it, and now I'm showing him Death Note, which he's really enjoying.

However, he has a habbit of calling my Figures, "Dolls", which irritates me greatly.
Jul 21, 2008 1:35 AM

Jul 2008
"Stop playing games."

Rethice said:
However, he has a habbit of calling my Figures, "Dolls", which irritates me greatly.

That's essentially what they are.
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Jul 21, 2008 1:47 AM

Jul 2008
Aeiou said:
That's essentially what they are.

I will never admit it!
Jul 22, 2008 6:02 AM

Jul 2008
My mom knows that I like watching this stuff, but she really doesn't mind. Sometimes she likes to make fun out of it, but she lets me watch it thought and she isn't one of those ''OMG, animes are bad for you!'' moms, for which I'm very grateful.

While my dad... I don't know what he thinks nor do I care. He always works and sleeps and complains, but never about animes.

And I told my mom about the ONLY store in the whole country that sells figures, T-shirts, posters, rings and bracelets and I'm nagging about it for like 3 months now, so that we will finally go and check it out. :D
''... you know what? As a writer, I bring life into those who will experience happiness, sadness, torment and love in stories I write. They will have the opportunity to discover what being important means... and all because I will never be able to do the same as they could. If I could, I would put myself in their place right now. But no, my magic isn't like that...''
Jul 22, 2008 9:21 AM

Jul 2008
dont really think they complain about anime, they only say dont sit at the pc all the day~~ .but when i was small i shouldnt read mangas they would make me stupid~~.

Jul 22, 2008 9:21 PM

Jul 2008
this is stupid-> mother says
this is childish-> father says

yay.

Jul 26, 2008 2:23 PM

Jun 2008
Thankfully, my parents actually watch anime from time to time so they're okay with it.
Jul 26, 2008 2:24 PM

Jun 2008
mishlax said:
this is stupid-> mother says
this is childish-> father says

yay.

lol, try watching Serial Experiments Lain or Honey and Clover. I'd like to see someone call THAT stupid or childish.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 7 hours ago

45 by Piromysl »»
3 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

53 by Fancyjasper »»
3 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

181 by BigBoyAdvance »»
7 minutes ago

» If you give an anime a 10 do you genuinely think It Is a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 9

49 by deg »»
22 minutes ago

» Is this why he invented it?

SgtBateMan - Apr 13

21 by GinIonSui »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.