MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Parents and Anime?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Parents and Anime?

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
07-17-08, 3:45 PM

So you're sat down, in your room or on the sofa watching your latest anime.

And either your mum or your dad walks in and actually sits and watches the anime for a short while.

What usually happens?

My mum did this when me and my brother were watching FMA, we were on possible the 4th or 5th episode.

So she's watching it.

First question...

"Why is that boy in a suit of armour?"

Immediately I groan, roll my eyes and try to explain.

Second question...

"Why does that boy have a metal arm?"

More groan with more explaination, going into more detail.

Finally I get a blank look and "Well this is depressing, I dont know how you can watch crap like this"

And then she walks off.

Its great how mothers are capable of summing something up within 5 minutes.

Anyone else had anything like this happen?
"It would be biased not too"
Me

"what do you mean we're out of toner?"
Random Office Worker

"Hey! arent you that bearded guy from TV?"
Random Chav

07-17-08, 3:49 PM

my mom walked in on me watching dubbed inuyasha. and kagome was all "INUYASHAAAA"

and my mom like. tried imitating kagome's squeaky annoying voice and ended up saying "inuyashaaa inuyasha !!" for like the next few hours.

talk about orz

07-17-08, 3:51 PM

Actually, this doesn't apply to me mostly. I either watch my anime DVDs while mum's at work or for the stuff on TV I do watch (see: Kiba & Code Geass) it's on the computer.

My mum's shown interest in Code Geass, tho'. But she's already an anime fan, so it's not a big deal (that's ShelleyRunyon @ MAL, yup)

Dad's only interested in DragonBall and stuff like that, but I've never watched anime around him. No good reason, the two events have just never happened together :3

07-17-08, 3:51 PM

To Crowslayer

oh god that sounds annoying.

My mum sometimes decides to say

"Have they got married yet?"
"Have they said they love each other?"
"Is it going to be a happy ending?"

For pretty much everything.

I just sit there wishing for a wall to appear infront of my head
"It would be biased not too"
Me

"what do you mean we're out of toner?"
Random Office Worker

"Hey! arent you that bearded guy from TV?"
Random Chav

07-17-08, 3:53 PM

My parents have never seen me watch anime, so I don't have to worry about that. However, whenever I watch anything at all with my dad in the room, or when I am in the room while he watches something, all he does is make comments about it. Which is why he will never watch anime with me.

07-17-08, 4:03 PM

A few years ago I was watching Inuyasha and my dad walks in, stares at the TV long enough for one of Kagome's cries for help and he goes "Those guys have weird names... Ainuyosha."

I laughed and replied, "Inuyasha. And they're Japanese names."

"Oh... They're stupid names." And he walks away.

Another time my mom walks in to me watching Howl's Moving Castle. I was watching the Japanese track with subtitles and she asks: "You have to read it all?"

"No, but I want to."

"That's dumb." And she leaves a few minutes later.

So since anime is dumb and stupid to my parents they tend to ignore it and therefore I'm the only person in my family that likes anime. (My brother is more of a gamer)

07-17-08, 6:36 PM

My dad walked in on me watching Madlax a year or so ago. There was a kickass action scene going on at the time, and my dad being the action buff that he is, sat down and watched the next 4 episodes with me. He said the plot made no sense, but the awesome action scenes made up for it. Now he loves gunslinger animes. XD

My mum on the other hand, will sit there and comment on EACH and EVERY thing she doesn't understand about the show, which is exactly why I don't watch anime when she's around.

Everyone Has An Important Job To Do And Mine Is Lurking The Internet

07-17-08, 7:00 PM

lol i don't have any real stories as interesting as these...my mom walked in on me watching inuyasha once at like, 12:45am on a school night. i muted it while she yelled at me and then she kept asking me what i was watching it, so i nervously unmuted it (since at that time she was real picky about what i watched) but she didn't really care.

i think ever since my sailor moon days, she's accepted that i love anime and doesn't question it haha.

07-17-08, 7:08 PM

I got my mom to watch some episodes of Excel Saga (which she found stupid but funny at the same time), She didn't understand Utena and Cowboy Bebop.
She did enjoy Kiki's Delivery Service...... :]

07-17-08, 7:34 PM

whenever my parents have seen me watching anime, they ask me how Naruto is doing, or "which one is Naruto" -- never mind that the show is almost never Naruto.
Every day you spend without a smile, is a lost day.

07-17-08, 7:55 PM

my dad comes into my room to tell me something and sometimes he'll just stand behind me and watch it with me . . . . . awkward OTL he'll stay for like 5 minutes then leave. My mom is the one who is all like "I don't know why you waste your time watching this stuff" *dies*

07-17-08, 9:40 PM

My Mum doesn't really care that much. She'll just catch me in the living room, look up at the tv and say, "When is this over? I've got a show to watch."

My Dad on the other hand will always stare at the screen for a few minutes and say something along the lines of, "You're messed, kid."

07-17-08, 10:48 PM

My parents mocked it when I was in high school, but when I got to college and they realized I was still into it, they finally recognized this wasn't just some childish fad and that it was actually my hobby. They don't like it, but they don't seem to hate it either.

Best parental moment was when I got off work when I was 16 and my dad was waiting in the car, reading my copy of Love Hina Vol. 1. I got in and he handed it to me. Only said one thing; "Don't let your mom find this."
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!

Every time you recommend Sword Art Online, a baby seal gets clubbed.

07-18-08, 1:09 AM

Bah, I do not have any interesting stories like these. Best I got is this: My mother largely ignores it (aside from the fact that she didn't like the swearing in adult swim shows), and my dad rolls his eyes alot.

07-18-08, 1:21 AM

My parents first saw me watching pokemon when i was young then DBZ and now that Im still into anime generally they cant seem to understand why Im still into it (age 20). My Father calls it: "Chinese cartoons" and my mother is trying her best to acknowledge it as a hobby of mine in which she fails big time. My little brother (17) often "confuses" it with "cartoon sex" because everytime he enters my room a panty shot or other forms off fanservice are being displayed.

But its the language that is hard for them to accept. They found it easily annyoing. Also on my desktop I got a wallpaper picturing Rei from NGE. And my father found it weird and is probaly worrying about my love life now ;p

07-18-08, 1:33 AM

My parents don't actually know yet, but I guess my mum would probably ignore it (she doesn't like subtitles) and think it's all a bit childish. Depending on the anime in question, my dad could just ignore it, think it's a bit childish, or ask me a little about it.

You know, I'm convinced my parents would like Monster if it wasn't in Japanese.

07-18-08, 2:37 AM

My Mom knows pretty well what I do with my spare time. She even lets me flame my rage about how sad the Tomoyo After is going to be and how much I'll cry when I watch it.
The only bad thing is that she calls them 'those cartoons that you always watch' D:
And my dad knows and probably doesn't care.

07-18-08, 2:29 PM

I think the first anime my parents came in on was Sailor Moon. They mostly just think of anime as any other cartoon I watched. They thought some of it was weird but didn't think much of it.

07-18-08, 2:36 PM

I try to avoid watching anime with them around.
Don't really watch anime on TV, anyway.
[:

07-18-08, 2:41 PM

Well I live with my dad and we don't spend that much time together, so never XD
But when I watch with my mom sometimes she seems understanding, same with one of my brothers ^^

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices