Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 5, 2012 3:01 PM

Aug 2010
Tachikoma ;_;
Mar 25, 2012 6:11 AM

Mar 2012
bnaks said:
in all honesty, i actually cried a bit watching the Tachikoma's sacrifice themselves and where Motoko mentions their possible existence of a ghost. this would be my first ever tear-inducing moment towards a machine.

Aye, that was one of few times I was moved that much in anime. Tachikomas seemed like they were going to be annoying, but they weren't. I actually liked them and those shorties, gave some balance to the show I think. And after they were gone... Oh gosh. No... Not NOW! Now that they may have just... Awww... :<
Brilliant though. Now they're legendary, if they lived trough they'd just be talking think-tanks that ask too many questions, and probably wouldn't be thought of that highly. Death served them well. So to speak.
Jun 7, 2012 8:03 PM

Jul 2011
bnaks said:
in all honesty, i actually cried a bit watching the Tachikoma's sacrifice themselves and where Motoko mentions their possible existence of a ghost. this would be my first ever tear-inducing moment towards a machine.

Honestly, I have NEVER cried over the destruction of a robot. But damn that made me tear up. ;A;
TACHIKOMA, YOU ALL WERE SO BRAVE!!
I'm sorry for thinking you all were annoying!

And when I thought the major got shot, my response was, "WHAT HOW NOT POSSIBLE. O.O"
Then it's obviously not her. Probably a dummy or something.

Holy crap. Everyone's getting caught. D:
Jun 16, 2012 8:50 PM

Jul 2009
No... the little robot buddies!
Jul 17, 2012 6:15 AM

Dec 2009
Man, that episode was depressing as hell. Oh and the Tachikomas. Never forget.
Sep 13, 2012 9:50 PM

Jun 2011
oh god, so damn excellent
Oct 9, 2012 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
NOOOOO, the Tachikomas!!! And Motoko!! D=

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 24, 2012 7:45 AM

May 2012
This is so sad **sob**
Dec 22, 2012 4:47 PM

May 2012
Those poor Tachikoma :( really good episode! A lot of great action and just a perfect buildup for the final episode of this first season! But damn that ending Motoko :(

Either way Lets see what the last episode has to offer!
Dec 23, 2012 9:35 AM

Apr 2012
aero said:
Tachikoma ;___;

That probably wasn't the real major. Notice how the camera looks at her left arm, no watch :3
Figured out she wasn't (cause we're talking about the major here), but well done for catching that guys (sure didn't). Batou still put up a convincing performance.
Dec 24, 2012 5:48 AM

Jan 2012
First Tachikomas and then Major? This was the saddest thing posible.

Jan 1, 2013 9:32 PM

Nov 2011
"I'm sorry but I had to hack your eyes, pal". Oh God, that line made my day.

Anyways, the episode was great but that ending was pretty brutal. I hope Mikoto will be okay because being beheaded like that sure didn't look good...
Jan 1, 2013 10:18 PM

Nov 2011
Well, that was one hell of an unique experience. I definitely enjoyed this series and going to check out the next season. I wouldn't call this finale a masterpiece or anything but I loved the themes of Ghost in the Shell as well as the characters, in particular Motoko Kusanagi and her personality.

8/10 :>
Apr 7, 2013 8:17 AM

Sep 2012
A manly tear was shed when the Tachikoma said goodbye. I also think that wasn't the Major because of the watch not being there but man was that an emotional episode.
Apr 27, 2013 2:13 AM

Jul 2012
The Tachikomas redeemed themselves.
May 1, 2013 3:02 AM
Jun 2009
Oh God
How powerless we are
My brothers and I

One of the most powerful lines in anime to me.

And who thought that emotional climax of the series will be around these little robots? It feels weird to call them 'robots' now by the way... On the side note — it's nice that in the end their personality is backed by unique look of every robot.
May 30, 2013 6:52 AM

Apr 2013
I feel sorry for the Tachikoma's T_T
Jun 1, 2013 2:36 PM

Mar 2010
tachi :[
Jun 25, 2013 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Great witch hunt continues, maybe Batou and Ishikawa are the ones who did not fare well, see how many blows remedied, well! Except the Major who loses his head! They really have not had the nerve to check all these details, but I think it will have done some transfer or used the same trick of the forest! The strange thing is the blood, it should not be colored differently? Mah!
Tachikoma poor, they were great! * _ *
Oct 3, 2013 6:39 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty depressing episode. This whole second half of this series has been great. I didn't expect anything out of the Tachikoma's but I'm glad I was wrong.
Oct 26, 2013 8:22 PM

Apr 2013
DAMMMM rip tachimokas , the ending ;_; , this episode was fking intense
Dec 13, 2013 6:31 PM

May 2011
ImLoopee said:
Yeah, I saw the watch and thought the same. Then again Batou's reaction kinda make me thing otherwise.

This episode had me in awe. The whole Tachikoma thing was "emotional" and along with that the Batou and Major scene was interesting. I like how Batou broke from calling her Major..they've grown a bond between eachother

The eye hacking scene cemented Batou's place as a badass and my 2nd fav character

Look closely at Motoko's wrist. She ISN'T wearing her watch. What does this hint at...? ;)
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 13, 2013 6:33 PM

May 2011
aero said:
Tachikoma ;___;
That probably wasn't the real major. Notice how the camera looks at her left arm, no watch :3

Great observation. There's no way possible she can be dead. Considering GITS logic.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 31, 2013 8:40 AM

Aug 2013
Noooooo! Not the Tachikoma!!!
That was such a sad sacrifice...

Batou solo rampage was epic. When he hacked the guy eyes, it was brutal.

Lucky Batou : seeing the Major in underwear.
Bad luck Batou : seeing her head blown off a few hours later.

But more seriously, it's impossible for her to be dead. She's the top of the top in term of tactical strategy, she couldn't have died in such a stupid way. She probably transfered her ghost somewhere else. The only thing they have to do now is to give the chip to the media.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 16, 2014 2:32 AM

Sep 2013
I think I now know why this series is held in so high regard.
Mar 30, 2014 12:11 PM

Jan 2013
Well there's no watch.
So, I guess that wasn't the real Major afterall.
Tachikoma's though :(
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 12, 2014 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
Dead and wounded on both sides, the Tachikoma are really the characters that have been in my great admiration.
To stop or break up a group there is the need to cut the head from the head of the body, in this case to put an end to the life of Major, but I think it's just a sham.
Drawings and animations of exceptional quality. The Major of refined tastes and strange.
Who knows what happened in that apartment ...
Oct 1, 2014 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
Holy shit o__o
This episode made me want to cry!
Tachikomas went out like badasses, and Motoko got her head blown off... D:

Also, Motoko x Batou... just saying...
Oct 4, 2014 5:44 PM

Oct 2013
that was intense, poor tachikoma but in the end they were able to fulfill their wishes, to die and to prove they have a soul. after all it's awesome to see how those little thingies were able to evolve their own character and how loyal they are.

Nov 27, 2014 12:18 AM

Sep 2014
Tachikomas :'(

Motoko's stash, lmao

And I want to see the commander of the Umibozu, the Prime Minister, and the Secretary General die horrible HORRIBLE deaths. JUST SAYIN
Feb 4, 2015 10:01 AM

Nov 2013

TACHIKOMA, I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 14, 2015 3:23 PM

Mar 2008
wow.. brilliant episode
Feb 25, 2015 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
I think stuff like the lack of a watch should be placed in spoilers, even if it is in this episode. I didn't catch it, and it would have kept my suspense higher as well as adding to rewatch value.

Anyway, I was surprised at how sad I was about the tachikoma's sacrifice. It's too bad they couldn't have been kept around, in a way. If one howitzer shell is enough to take out and armored suit, then the tachikomas could have definitely took them on when fully armed.

It's hard, seeing all of Section 9 arrested or killed. Batou came very close to dying himself.

What happened to the Catcher?
Mar 11, 2015 1:18 AM
Nov 2014
Tachikoma were not being destroyed but acquired a concept of death.
Apr 5, 2015 2:59 PM

Feb 2015
Aw crap the tachikomas are gone...

TyrelJun 12, 2015 12:15 AM
Apr 18, 2015 5:29 AM
Nov 2014
This is probably one of the most powerful episodes I have seen in an anime before. THE OST when the blue robot got shot was so damn powerful. That ending made me even more sad.

5/5
Apr 21, 2015 8:50 AM

Jun 2014
One of the best episodes I have ever seen in anime.
Apr 25, 2015 5:29 PM

Feb 2013
TACHIKOMA NO ;_;7

Anyway the Major getting her head blown off supposedly made me laugh more then I would have thought. Still though holy shit.
Jul 2, 2015 3:01 AM

Aug 2012
Btw, I cried
Feb 15, 2016 6:01 PM

Aug 2014
Best episode so far.
Felt sad for the robots, It was really an intense episode, damn that squad is really tough, and the final scene is WTF moment, great direction, great arc.
Excellent Episode.
Mar 22, 2016 5:27 AM

Apr 2013
Damn the Tachikomas are gone... And that was not the real Major, probably not the real Batou either.
Apr 8, 2016 11:32 AM

Sep 2015
I never would have thought that the Tachikomas would have been so important to this series, both literally and metaphorically. The role they've played in exhibiting the blurring line between man and machine, and raising the question of what precisely is a soul / ghost has been a paramount one. I was not expecting to feel sentimental towards mere machines.

They're definitely taking the Major seriously, not even attempting to take her prisoner like they did with Batou. No doubt she's already going to another one of her prosthetic bodies though. Must be highly convenient, being able to jump around the place just like that lol. No doubt it costs a pretty penny too, to have that sort of high-end equipment.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 11, 2016 7:21 PM

Jul 2007
Tachikomas ;_;

True heroes best characters. I always loved but damn. I didn't expect this :/
Aug 23, 2016 9:47 PM
Oct 2012
Tachikomas had such a cute voice over too. So sad they died but it shows the progression of their character and the sentience of robots.

A lot of what this series is about what is human and what is not. The answer isn't as easy as it sounds because some of the human characters are greedy and bad. Meanwhile some robots like the tachikomas have more humanity than the director who disproved the murai vaccine despite knowing its the only cure.

Not much plot like the other episodes but still great emotional scenes in this episode with Batou/major and the tachikomas learning to sacrifice themselves for a friend.
Aug 23, 2016 9:49 PM
Oct 2012
Maz said:
I never would have thought that the Tachikomas would have been so important to this series, both literally and metaphorically. The role they've played in exhibiting the blurring line between man and machine, and raising the question of what precisely is a soul / ghost has been a paramount one. I was not expecting to feel sentimental towards mere machines.

They're definitely taking the Major seriously, not even attempting to take her prisoner like they did with Batou. No doubt she's already going to another one of her prosthetic bodies though. Must be highly convenient, being able to jump around the place just like that lol. No doubt it costs a pretty penny too, to have that sort of high-end equipment.

Ya completely agreed I first thought the Tachikomas would serve as comedic relief and cute moments but they had some really deep episodes when the Tachikoma goes on an adventure and helps a little girl or the episode where they wonder if they are going to get replaced. They become a character and not just tool which u first see them as.

Also the major getting shot at the end would have been a great scene if there wasn't any sequels. But since we know this series basically around the major she won't die anytime soon.
Oct 3, 2016 8:09 AM

Oct 2012
Not the Tachikoma(s) :(
I'm so sad, they're worth more than the fake gundams
Like Inaban from Kokoro connect said, selfless freak.. Way too good other people but not from themself :(

Ehh.. Main character won't die that easily
Rayl1ghtOct 3, 2016 8:35 AM
"Signature removed"
Oct 16, 2016 2:53 PM

Oct 2016
Man, the death of the Tachikoma's hit me like a brick..... guess I was pretty fond of them.

And yeah, the Major probably has a nice plan cooked up already.
Dec 20, 2016 1:30 AM
Dec 2016
Regarding what Motoko said before she was shot: I think it was aishiteru (I love you). I am an animator and the shapes her mouth forms ai-shi-te-ru matches it almost perfectly. If I am correct, it only adds to the emotional awesomeness of this episode.
Jan 11, 2017 3:09 PM

Jan 2012
What an episode, what an episode. The tachikomas self-sacrifice made me cry, making me think that theyve gotten themselves ghosts. I didnt think id be so emotionally invested into them, theyre struggles at the end, as each was gunned down, had me in sorrow. Even hearing about hpw the book-savvy tachikoma was dismantled... and how they viewed drath as a good thing... man that hit me hard. And dont get me started on the himans at section 9, things seem so dore. I can see things being carried over to season2 now in some sense, though not sure how they'll wrap things up in the next episode. Oh and i didnt notice at first the whole watch thing, but great to know that Kusanagi isnt dead, but werent her thoughts in that body? Oh man, next episode's gonna be a whacker
Feb 24, 2017 10:53 AM

Jul 2016
Oh DEAR GOD!!! Is this year the year when I actually grow a soul! The Tachikomas' sacrifice literally made my heart skip a beat and almost make me cry, AGAIN!!

And the ending was very shocking, it really goes to show why chose Motoko as his 'decoy' wife. And yes, folks, I too want to see those bastard phonies die a gut-wrenchingly HORRIBLE DEATH!!
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 22 Discussion

aero - Sep 8, 2008

44 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.