Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 4, 2007 7:55 PM

Aug 2006
<strong>THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.</strong><br />----------------------------------------
<br /><br />Well this was another interesting episode. I liked how it dealt with a touchy subject and the cinematography was just incredible. So far this is a very unique series and I hope that the other stories are just as interesting as this first one was. Thus, I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 4, 2007 8:49 PM

Apr 2007
Umm, agreed. More people should be watching this series.

Cant wait for next ep, ^^.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2007 6:37 PM

May 2007
:3 previous ep was better
medicine seller is so GAR
Jul 26, 2008 5:32 PM

Jun 2008
Very good episode. Everything was top-notch: directing, characterization, art. Although I kind of hoped for more fluid animation.
Aug 27, 2008 2:04 AM

Mar 2008
zanmato666 said:
Well this was another interesting episode. I liked how it dealt with a touchy subject and the cinematography was just incredible. So far this is a very unique series and I hope that the other stories are just as interesting as this first one was. Thus, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

yea i totally agree. but the only thing was, i didnt get what the heck happened in the end! i mean did she miscarriage? or give birth? or what??!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2008 3:01 AM

May 2008
I'm thinking that thing with the blood was just another illusion.:O

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 28, 2008 8:29 PM

Oct 2007
This was a really good episode. I also was confused about whether she miscarried or what though. I hope the rest of the series stays as intense as this!!!
Aug 28, 2008 8:47 PM

Mar 2008
I love that this arc was so brave with its subject matter. There was no tiptoeing around it, and that's admirable. The ending was ambiguous, but I think the whole series is like that. I just think that it was amazing to start off with an arc like this that was so brutal and heavy and honest...and heartbreaking, in its own way.
Oct 7, 2008 2:21 AM

Aug 2007
Okay this episode was much much better than the previous one, and I'm starting to get accustomed to how texturized the scenes are (except the characters still look quite freaky, especially the baby with that gross, thick hair on its back, o_0)
Dec 30, 2008 3:10 PM

Feb 2008
The ending to this arc was fantastic. I never thought it would come to something like that, how interesting.

The symbolic references throughout this episode and to quote:
zanmato666 said:
the cinematography was just incredible.

It's like watching a real Japanese painting or storybook.
Jun 24, 2009 12:02 PM

Jun 2009
the 1st ep blasted my brain, and the same with this one, and it was rather surprising when i started to understand what's going on
though the ending is so obscure and..and the woman is rather ugly and unpleasant, i wish her not to have such lips, such hair and such freckles
boo..
Oct 6, 2009 3:49 PM
Sep 2009
it is pretty normal how people think this is similar to gankutsuou but i think they are very different. gank.'s style is pretty much your normal anime with costumes texture-filled. i mean, in that show, when a character say raise his or her hand, the texture was staying still, without being folded. so just draw the character, pick some fancy texture and fill it in...it's not that hard to do that... characters' line-art tough, where two shows greatly differs. mononoke is not trying to be sexually beautiful. in fact, that woman called shino is pretty freaky with those eyebrows and swollen lips, let alone the others... comparing this to gank. is like comparing edward munch to... i don't know, some pre-raphaelites.
zoque999Oct 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Mar 15, 2010 11:25 AM
Feb 2009
Am I the only one who cried for this episode ?
Mar 22, 2010 2:39 AM

Feb 2010
Awesome. Although, I am somewhat confused.... did she miscarry the baby? Or was that simply an illusion?

I LOVE how ppl are comparing this to Gankutsuou! Just finished that anime a few hours ago.
Although both are "abstract" per-say, this show is MUCH more abstract and the animation is unique in a completely diff way. BOTH are interesting to watch and have an excellent story tho.
Jul 14, 2010 9:44 AM

May 2009
Pretty intense episode
The sountrack's awesome!

But am I the only one with a wtf did I just watch feeling?
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jul 18, 2010 7:07 PM

Aug 2009
ZoiQ said:
medicine seller is so GAR

+1

This ep scared the shit out of me. Babies are creepy.
Dec 5, 2010 12:05 AM
Sep 2007
Wow, this episode impressed the hell out of me. If the rest of the series is this good, this is top 10 material for me for sure.
Feb 25, 2011 2:48 PM

Feb 2009
Muggleish said:

I didn't cry but a tear did fall from one eye. I felt bad for those babies.
Mar 11, 2011 8:14 PM

Sep 2008
puedjies said:
I'm starting to get accustomed to how texturized the scenes are

Ditto. I think. Maybe because I felt more "prepared" for it after having watched the first episode...

pacuuuuu3 said:
But am I the only one with a wtf did I just watch feeling?

Nope! You're definitely not alone. I felt confused for a large part of this episode... and only just barely grasped what was going on nearer to the end. Even then, though, I wasn't 100% I really understood.

In any case, I think I liked this episode better than the first... If I can be sure of one thing, it's that this anime certainly grabs your attention.
Mar 26, 2011 6:29 PM
Jul 2010
Best birth scene ever. Instead of the overdone screaming face-shots, they did some introspection with kickass art direction and well-done symbolism.

I'm really impressed by how well the textures are working. It must have been difficult to make it this consistently good, without being distracting.
May 19, 2011 10:01 AM

May 2010
This ep surpassed the 1st ep. It was much more symbolic and the animation with the paper fold was nice.

As to the story, I sense that it will be much like Mushishi.

Tackling with life circumstances due to some supernatural elements and makes you think deeper than what you see.

The woman's decision was really risky. Giving birth to a Mononoke and risking her unborn child's life.

The end was ambiguous as to what really happened but she looks happy tho.

Looking forward for more of this. =)
May 24, 2011 1:41 PM

Jun 2009
Beautiful, I love how Mononoke actually manages to use it's visuals to tell an effective story along with strong writing. But, I don't know, to me it seemed as though the woman at the end was sort of mentally broken or something as if the visions she saw warped her mind and, if she did in fact miscarriage, she may have went insane or something. I'm not really sure, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 31, 2011 4:48 AM

Feb 2009
katsup said:
This was a really good episode. I also was confused about whether she miscarried or what though. I hope the rest of the series stays as intense as this!!!

This.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Sep 22, 2011 6:14 AM
Feb 2011
This episode basically blew me away. I am thoroughly impressed.
This topic doesn't come up often in anime, and Mononoke brought it up with much poetry and subtlety. I hope the rest of the anime will be as good as this.
Sep 28, 2011 10:08 PM

Aug 2011
this episode was a total mindrape!! D: D: i swear to god it was like a japanese version of the shining! i may have nightmares tonight. (@______@)
Nov 6, 2011 12:00 PM
Jan 2011
Does anyone know what the song that starts playing at around 18 minutes is called? I've tried finding it on youtube without success. Thanks in advance!
Nov 28, 2011 7:36 AM
Jun 2008
I still find myself lost in the art style!
Dec 15, 2011 12:39 PM

Feb 2009
I won't say scary yet, but that was disturbing as hell. This was a very well told and solid story. I guess the series will continue with this format, small arcs till the end? I hope they delve a little into the Medicine Seller character before the ending. Anyway it's still too soon to make any guesses.
Apr 26, 2012 1:42 PM

Aug 2011
Since there doesn't seem to be much dissection here...

I think she did have a miscarriage at the end. Those dharma? dolls symbolize the babies. She had one attached to her by a red ribbon, but it cracked. Also, her baby is shown as the same as the others when it talks to her, possibly meaning it too died and became a mononoke like the other infant souls that had died in the inn. Also, at the end, we see her laying down with a kimono draped across her midriff, showing that the miscarriage scene wasn't entirely an illusion.

Another thing is that she keeps experiencing pain throughout the two episodes, which isn't exactly a good sign of your baby's health. (but I know nothing about pregnancy, so...)
May 12, 2012 10:18 PM

Apr 2012
I like the trippy (psuedo) period art (periodelia?)

i sort of got the impression she was meant to be a foreigner with the hair, lips and freckles. but other characters have an exaggerated, foreign look

like everyone else i was confused at the ending though, she said "i'll be your mother" then "sorry i couldn't be your mother", the sword changed (so... did "regret" materialise or not? whose regret were we looking for anyway?) and things happened.
Guess it will take a rewatch / getting used to what's "meant" to happen
Aug 10, 2012 5:57 PM

Apr 2012
Well, that was certainly a trip - a visually stunning and somewhat disturbing episode.

The story ends rather ambiguously. At first it seems as if both she and her baby were saved but, perhaps, she really did miscarry and is now the soon to be mother of a mononoke. Still, not having a cut and dry ending does not really bother me and, in fact, it just adds to the mysterious aura of the show.

I am interested to see what kind of strange things the next arc holds.
Feb 10, 2013 10:29 AM
Mar 2012
Hm, I'm not quite sure what happened, but I think she had a miscarriage ("I'm sorry I coulnd't be your mother") but then carried the mononoke?
I'd prefer things to be a little less confusing, though I love the style of it all.
Mar 3, 2013 9:46 AM

Feb 2011
for all the ones wondering what happened to the pregnant woman, just continue to watch after the credits, i took that as an hint just the mononoke got removed

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Mar 8, 2013 9:51 PM

Jan 2013
Muggleish said:

You're not alone, this was a beautifully directed arc.
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
May 7, 2013 4:26 PM

Jan 2013
Ehhh, it was alright.
Not loving it yet.
Jun 6, 2013 6:31 PM

Dec 2012
I don't know. I just don't know. Anything. If I like it, if I got what happened (I think I did but not 100% sure about everything), if it is one of the best or just one of the weirdest. Will see...
Jul 7, 2013 8:02 AM

May 2012
Pretty disturbing but well it ended all well... seems this was the end of that chapter or so I think, so lets see what's next!
Jul 11, 2013 4:18 PM
Jul 2011
Such nice art, all the details man i love it. About the end:

I think she did had a miscarriage of her child but she is pregnant with the mononoke now, at the end she appears with the charm she lost in the begining.

I think the red clothes of the babies represented the umbilical cord as that represents the union between mother and baby, and i love how everyone was trying to reach her with it
Aug 28, 2013 12:52 AM

Mar 2012
That was great! Very disturbing and touching episode, glad to see she didn't actually have a miscarriage. Now i'm wondering what the next arc will hold for us :)
Sep 23, 2013 8:49 PM

Oct 2012
I think she did have a miscarriage... and now she's going to give birth to the Mononoke. They did show how her baby "broke" after she removed the seal (?), and then they showed it like the other dead babies. And after the ED song, it doesn't look like she's pregnant anymore.

Overall, this was beautifully done. I had to rewatch it once to get it, though. Not really used to seeing so much symbolism in anime.
Oct 12, 2013 6:38 AM
Aug 2012
Rewatching Mononoke, and this is really an intense and thrilling episode!

I really like the medicine seller, even if we don't really know anything about him. My favourite moment in this arc (apart from all his badassness) was when the Okami told him the truth about the brothel and the abortions and was like "So? What about it?" and there was this TINY little moment, only for a blink, where the medicine seller showed emotion, where you could hear him saying "nani??!" and see him open his eyes wide.
This was so good, because usually he appears very emotionless and a bit cold, not involved in any of the personal things of the other people. But in this moment he couldn't hide it and that kind of showed that he still is a human and that was really amazingly done.
Feb 12, 2014 9:50 PM
Jun 2013
Here's my interpretation:
At the end of the episode her baby is still alive and well. I think the key to understanding it comes mainly from a couple of key plot points within the episodes. First, the medicine seller states that "regret" is necessary for the sword to be drawn. This regret stems from the pregnant woman, who I'd guess had previously miscarried a child, which would explain not only the regret aspect, but also why she seemed overly desperate for the life of her child this time around. It also helps explain the yellow doll that she carried with her, probably in memory of the miscarried child. This ties into the key scene of the episode, where there is a pile of urns, with the yellow urn being attached to her via the red fabric where the rest are all in their own separate area. The yellow urn is the same color as the doll she carries around with her. Probably what sealed the deal for this for me was when she stated "I'm sorry I could not give birth to you" to the yellow newborn which came from the yellow urn.
Doesn't entirely explain why the medicine man was able to quell the mononoke, I'm assuming he used the sword possibly to calm it.
Apr 2, 2014 8:53 PM

Jan 2014
Wow all I have to say is that this anime has me very impressed 2 episodes in. Hugely intense and emotional, and the animation while I thought I wouldn't like it, turned out to be some of the best art I've seen. I love how they dealt with this very intense, touchy subject and pulled everything off flawlessly. I was shocked, sad, anxious and in the end happy/satisfied at the result (I think her child is alright, either way it's quelled). All in all I'm glad I chose to start this series and now I'm worried I'll finish it too quickly because I won't be able to stop.
Jun 27, 2014 4:07 PM

Oct 2013
sooo fucking weird i love it ^-^
[/quote]
Jul 3, 2014 8:16 AM

Aug 2013
All the symbolism...I love it :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 2, 2014 10:19 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I cried a lot the first time I watched this arc. The second time around it hit me even harder. ;w;
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Oct 19, 2014 2:48 PM

Jul 2014
That was scary.
Dec 22, 2014 3:04 PM

Dec 2011
Nice. Confused, but nice. I'm still trying to know if the woman is pregnant of her baby, of the Mononoke, of both or none of them.
Jan 29, 2015 5:25 PM
Apr 2014
clippert0n said:
At the end of the episode her baby is still alive and well. I think the key to understanding it comes mainly from a couple of key plot points within the episodes. First, the medicine seller states that "regret" is necessary for the sword to be drawn. This regret stems from the pregnant woman, who I'd guess had previously miscarried a child, which would explain not only the regret aspect, but also why she seemed overly desperate for the life of her child this time around. It also helps explain the yellow doll that she carried with her, probably in memory of the miscarried child. This ties into the key scene of the episode, where there is a pile of urns, with the yellow urn being attached to her via the red fabric where the rest are all in their own separate area. The yellow urn is the same color as the doll she carries around with her. Probably what sealed the deal for this for me was when she stated "I'm sorry I could not give birth to you" to the yellow newborn which came from the yellow urn.
Doesn't entirely explain why the medicine man was able to quell the mononoke, I'm assuming he used the sword possibly to calm it.

The possibility of a previous miscarriage hadn't even crossed my mind, but if so it explains everything. It would mean that the child speaking was her previous one, and that her current, as-of-yet unborn one is alive and well. On theother hand, she was suffering from pains during the episode, and if I'm not mistaken she drank something the inn lady gave her (I know of beverages and poisons who are lethal for unborn children). A very good episode, especially with the way the umbilical cords were depicted and used throughout it.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Feb 14, 2015 1:41 PM

Oct 2013
clippert0n said:

diianiih said:
Such nice art, all the details man i love it. About the end:

I think she did had a miscarriage of her child but she is pregnant with the mononoke now, at the end she appears with the charm she lost in the begining.

I think the red clothes of the babies represented the umbilical cord as that represents the union between mother and baby, and i love how everyone was trying to reach her with it

Thank you for helping me understand more about these 2 episodes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Jul 30, 2007

105 by iWonderman »»
Apr 22, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Brand - Sep 5, 2007

82 by PaninaManina »»
Feb 2, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Oct 11, 2007

134 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 6:56 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 11 Discussion

gothicpsyche - Oct 29, 2007

35 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Oct 8, 2007

53 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.