Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2008 5:33 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So I just finished this too. It was amazing, beautifully drawn and very well animated. I liked the music a lot too. I would've preferred a greater evil but Miyori acting as the granddaughter of the witch was good enough. 9/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 4, 2008 12:06 PM
Dec 2007
I found it pretty bad, the drawing is not that good, the animation is very weak (then again it's just a special and not a movie but I sometime felt like it was worse than a TV series...) and the direction is truly horrible (well it's the first anime made by this director that is normally an art director, and it's totally understandable when you watch Miyori no Mori).

It felt like a Miyazaki rip-off, without the animation, without the plot, without the characters which are plain bad and unrealistic (excuse me but Miyori sounded like she was 16 whereas she is a 11 year-old girl...), and the themes are not even well developped. I don't want to speak about the direction because it's probably one of the worse I've ever seen in an anime, the plans and sequences are just random, badly timed and structured, I thought that it was directed by an amateur honestly (which Yamamoto-san is if we can say so, Miyori being his first work as a director).

The only good things in this special are the marvellous backgrounds (did I already say that Yamamoto's job is art direction ? ;)) and the musical score which is pleasant. Overall it was not even decent (better than Gin-Iro no Kami no Agito in a similar style but it's not really hard as this one is a gigantic piece of shit) and even if you don't compare it to a Ghibli movie, it's still not a good anime at all.

I didn't expect anything before watchin this one, but still it seems that my expectations were too high for it ;)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 18, 2008 2:11 PM

May 2008
It met it's goal of being a movie/special for kids, but other than it was pretty mediocre. The only thing I found really intolerable was the directing which, like Jacut pointed out, was terrible. Sometimes the characters worked, but for the most part they felt like a product of bad writing. Sometimes the plot worked, but again it was hindered by poor writing and hapless direction. Yet somehow, through it all, it didn't manage to feel like a complete waste of time. Probably because it had the potential to be good if a competent team was working on it...
Aug 16, 2009 8:43 PM

Feb 2009
It would have been better if half of the movie wasn't wasted about Miyori being an pest. The only best part and funny part of the movie is Kuro turning white from fear.
Aug 6, 2013 3:04 PM

Jul 2011
The only parts I liked were the scenery and when they scared off the hunters. I absolutely loved when Miyori was riding that bug-like spirit in that costume.

Otherwise, it did not reach it's potential... :(
Aug 22, 2013 8:43 AM

Nov 2010
MaxCrazy7 said:
It would have been better if half of the movie wasn't wasted about Miyori being an pest. The only best part and funny part of the movie is Kuro turning white from fear.

I share the same view about that, the backgrounds were done very good though
Miyori's facial expressions were terrible at times

This movie reminds me of Moomin and Gegege no Kitarou in terms of the spirits designs

A much better movie made 4 years later, a letter to Momo comes very to close to it
as a story
May 13, 2016 5:22 PM

Dec 2014
The movie overall was actually good... I really liked how the portrayed miyori as just any other tokyo teenage girl
Aug 9, 2016 7:13 AM

Feb 2014
Like others have said, it definitely needed better direction and characterization. Miyori warming up to her grandmother felt a bit sudden, given her personality and how much she didn't like living in the countryside. The way the part where Miyori says she wants to save the forest was shot, by showing her from faraway with that awkward animation, and then the blank expression when we finally see a closeup of her face, made it fall completely flat for me, when in fact it was supposed to be one of the most important and emotional moments. And then there are the scenes where they chase those hunters out, which felt clumsy and badly edited.

But I still like the movie, especially the first half, which mostly dealt with the broken marriage of Miyori's parents and how much it affected her. The movie started to go downhill from the moment the hunters showed up.
Oct 27, 2017 1:11 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty good

The song sounds like I hate you, I love you haha
But this anime is clearly older
Oct 4, 2018 3:52 PM

Oct 2015
I would say it was good but not that good. I still didn't like Miyori she had some attitude problem especially towards her parents, you can't talk to your mother like that or your father. The plot wasn't bad but I liked Bokuriko, how I wish I owned that spirit. The chasing by the spirits to the hunters was badly animated in my opinion, it was unbelievable and tacky. nevertheless they did achieve their goal to drive them away, kinda reminded me of those kiddies Hollywood movies where they stand together and chase away developers.

It was okay nothing I haven't seen before, but Kuro turning white because of fear after seeing Bokuriko in a bear form was hilarious. 6/10.

How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 22, 2019 8:21 PM
Jul 2018
Well that was quite fine movie and packed with some questionable moments. Have not watched much ghilbi-film as of now and for me overall plot gave me some of classic cartoon movies I've watched in my childhood like Tarzan with female lead except it wasn't had likable lead.

I liked some of the idea it tried to do like the family drama issue but ultimately this was just typical coming-of-age film lacking depth. I didn't found the character not very likable and personally felt that some of the their decisions occured out of blue. The graphics wasn't no near flashy as average film I've watched and more like a normal TV movie.

Overall this won't able to be good memorable classic movie ever since it might not aged well at many elements compare to other (recent) movies but at least for its time it sold unusually well (as far I've read from wikipedia). Needed stronger direction and better script imo.
Mar 7, 2019 9:44 AM
Oct 2017
I didn't like it 💔
Both drawing and animation was bad >< Sorry
May 23, 2019 8:48 AM

Jan 2013
Any time there was a human on the screen, it was painfully ugly. Not a good sign.

More topics from this board

» Forest Spirits

starshinesMonet - Jan 26, 2009

1 by 09890 »»
Mar 10, 2012 5:34 AM

Poll: » So...

Siing - Oct 10, 2007

6 by starshinesMonet »»
Jan 26, 2009 5:04 PM

» my take...

kisami - Jun 27, 2008

4 by kahlua_coco »»
Jul 9, 2008 10:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.