Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2015 5:31 AM

Sep 2013
utcowboybebopfan said:
Okay, so here's what I don't get. The King kills Kino's opponent for surrendering, but not the other guy who surrendered? Why? Was he jealous because she wouldn't be his wife?
Probably because that fight took place first, and then Kino's came after. At that point, I guess the king was frustrated that no one had been killed.

kittybell said:
I think Kino had two main reasons for making the rule that she made.

1. By making the rule say that the king had to be elected from the current first class citizen she kills 3 birds with one stone:

a) It means anymore travellers coming to visit won't get involved in the fights.
b) It means the underground poor people won't be drawn into it.
c) It means if the first class citizens want to continue the senseless killing they'll have to put their lives on the line or leave.

2. By making the rule that if you harm any underground citizens you get disqualified this discourages people from harming them. If in the end there is only one first class citizen left and they become the king who will they rule over? Who will move in to take the places of the dead or deserted first class citizens? Why of course the poor people living by the canal. They'll get to move up in society.
Very interesting explanation.
Apr 23, 2015 3:55 PM

Mar 2015
It's funny how the Prince dude didn't know Kino was a girl.
Very good episode, the King's death was pretty funny.
May 10, 2015 3:31 PM

Dec 2012
utcowboybebopfan said:
Okay, so here's what I don't get. The King kills Kino's opponent for surrendering, but not the other guy who surrendered? Why? Was he jealous because she wouldn't be his wife?
In short yes. He was rejected and had mommy issues so hearing someone prattle on about their mother probably made him all the angrier. Oh great, what a fitting episode for Mother's Day.

@ Episode - One thing I didn't notice before was the rule in the previous episode that all spectators are responsible for their own lives. This makes sense of why there was no punishment for killing the king. Kino's rule was very fitting for a land built on bloodshed and fighting. In a way it also protects those who were less fortunate (the slaves/lower class) and maybe the new ruler will be for the better. I think she imposed that rule to pass on the baton that she received from the traveling widow.
Jun 18, 2015 3:36 PM

Jan 2013
Great conclusion to this little story.
Glad to see the audience not even caring that the king died, after all they were all able to get shot at any time, including the King (even though he has a wall of some sorts)

Wonder if it'll work, the last man standing being a fitting king, he would've experienced all the bloodshed, so it might work.
Jun 30, 2015 10:11 AM

Aug 2014
I was a little surprised the king just upped and died like that. With all the gunfire going on, I would've assumed the glass was bulletproof or something, >.>

Other than that, good episode.
Jul 8, 2015 10:54 PM

Dec 2011
sddsdd said:
I was a little surprised the king just upped and died like that. With all the gunfire going on, I would've assumed the glass was bulletproof or something, >.>

Other than that, good episode.

To be fair, that glass is bulletproof, and Kino had to brew a special high-power round to break it (it's shown the night before the fight with Shizu).
Dec 2, 2015 7:29 AM

Jan 2014
I'm not sure why she would choose that kind of law and stuff but OK.
I guess she figured that would be something they'd accept easier than something else.
Feb 4, 2016 3:58 PM

May 2014
Kino was at one point talking about her "master" or something during the fight, does she mean old Kino or someone who taught her to fight? Oooh we'll see I guess! I also love how she doesn't intervene too much, like she added a law but then left. Similar to how she didn't stop those rail workers. She's travelling to observe I guess, not to interfere.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Mar 19, 2016 11:50 PM
Mar 2016
Alright, I really liked this episode, there was a lot happening. I see a lot of people have questions about different aspects of the story, so I'm going to share what I got out of it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. The blonde wife: I think this was merely a play off the king. He said that ever since he killed his father, he couldn't stop grinning. The wife surrendered to her husband and was the reason he went on to fight another round where he died. In this way, she killed him. Thus, like the king, she can't stop smiling.

The old man that faced the prince expressed that he could almost understand the king for his hedonism, so perhaps the wife did as well.

2. "It's a wonderful place":There are a couple reasons this might be a thing. One is that all the travelers that have been there have gone mad with the bloodlust and wish to kill fellow travellers. Another, is that they may feel alone from their experience and are trying to make others like them. A third is that perhaps they were hoping that eventually someone would succeed.

3. The king killing Kino's opponent: This one was obvious to me. The king never particularly felt loved, and had a particularly terrible trauma with his mother. After listening to the woman talking happily about her mother, he felt angry and killed her out of spite.

His trauma also comes up when he asks them to marry him and when it is revealed that he killed his wife. He feels that he needs a woman's love and when they can no longer offer it or betray him, he kills them.

4. Kino Law: I actually think this law was perfect. Kino wasn't killing innocent people. She was having a bunch of blood thirsty people fight each other and, in the end, likely kill each other off. The First Class all wanted people to die and were calling for the death of the contestants, growing upset when they lived. Once their 'king' was chosen, he would lose against numbers, as the other citizens greatly outnumbered them. In this way, the country would become less hedonistic and bloodthirsty after some time.

Anyways, that's what I've gotten from it. I'm glad to have put all my ideas down.
May 16, 2016 4:15 PM

Sep 2014
JuicyBuddha said:
merle_noir said:

I had a similar question as TYSM... At the end of the episode, when the prince guy asked Riku a question, Riku just barked, and the prince guy was just like "Wha...?" so I got the impression that either the dog couldn't talk anymore or that they couldn't understand the dog anymore...

I thought it was a somewhat fitting rule that Kino demanded that of the first-class citizens. After all, a lot of them became "first-class citizens" by ascending through the ranks of a similar competition, probably killing people to get their citizenship. But then again... it was strange to ask for bloodshed when she avoided it up until the end, when she killed the king...

lol, it made sense. Kino's not necessarily against violence, she just doesn't want to get entangled in any bad karma or to get tied down to any place. Since all the people in that town are so addicted to violence there's no way they can get rid of killing people overnight - remember the crowd screaming for blood whenever anyone surrendered and the king begging for someone to help because he couldn't stop from killing?

From what I've heard that's true even of serial killers irl, they get addicted to killing and can't stop even if they want to. And then there are all the ex-soldiers who go berserk etc...

So Kino let the bloodthirsty people have their "fun" and set up rules so they wouldn't hurt the innocent. It was a good solution.

kittybell said:
I think Kino had two main reasons for making the rule that she made.

1. By making the rule say that the king had to be elected from the current first class citizen she kills 3 birds with one stone:

a) It means anymore travellers coming to visit won't get involved in the fights.
b) It means the underground poor people won't be drawn into it.
c) It means if the first class citizens want to continue the senseless killing they'll have to put their lives on the line or leave.

2. By making the rule that if you harm any underground citizens you get disqualified this discourages people from harming them. If in the end there is only one first class citizen left and they become the king who will they rule over? Who will move in to take the places of the dead or deserted first class citizens? Why of course the poor people living by the canal. They'll get to move up in society.

I think it was a very well thought out new rule. A lot of people said that it will lead to a lot of bloodshed but that's only if they want to become the king. I think many citizens will leave once it's their own life on the line instead of someone else's fight to the death.

Who knows, maybe they'll realise it's silly to have any type of rule just made off the bat. The lesson is don't follow rules no matter what they are, think about their consequences.

Yep, I agree with both of you. I will also add that everyone has the right to flee. That way nobody is forced to take part.
May 27, 2016 4:36 PM

Feb 2013
Was not expecting a rocket to be used to kill the king.
Oct 9, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2013
CainxEli said:

1. The blonde wife: I think this was merely a play off the king. He said that ever since he killed his father, he couldn't stop grinning. The wife surrendered to her husband and was the reason he went on to fight another round where he died. In this way, she killed him. Thus, like the king, she can't stop smiling.

The old man that faced the prince expressed that he could almost understand the king for his hedonism, so perhaps the wife did as well.

2. "It's a wonderful place":There are a couple reasons this might be a thing. One is that all the travelers that have been there have gone mad with the bloodlust and wish to kill fellow travellers. Another, is that they may feel alone from their experience and are trying to make others like them. A third is that perhaps they were hoping that eventually someone would succeed.

3. The king killing Kino's opponent: This one was obvious to me. The king never particularly felt loved, and had a particularly terrible trauma with his mother. After listening to the woman talking happily about her mother, he felt angry and killed her out of spite.

His trauma also comes up when he asks them to marry him and when it is revealed that he killed his wife. He feels that he needs a woman's love and when they can no longer offer it or betray him, he kills them.

4. Kino Law: I actually think this law was perfect. Kino wasn't killing innocent people. She was having a bunch of blood thirsty people fight each other and, in the end, likely kill each other off. The First Class all wanted people to die and were calling for the death of the contestants, growing upset when they lived. Once their 'king' was chosen, he would lose against numbers, as the other citizens greatly outnumbered them. In this way, the country would become less hedonistic and bloodthirsty after some time.

Very interesting interpretation. You're making me like the episode more in hindsight.
Nov 20, 2016 4:47 AM

Dec 2013
The King was even crazier than I expected but he was one of the few that realised Kino was a girl.

That was a crazy law that Kino created.
Dec 13, 2016 9:15 AM

Aug 2014
Very addicting two episodes, i liked the action but i wanted a theme from all of this, why waste two episodes on something just for pure action.
Great episode anyway.
Feb 7, 2017 7:16 PM

Jan 2012
First king killed by Kino.

Apr 24, 2017 10:07 PM

Nov 2010
The king kinda reminded me of The Joker.

Jun 30, 2017 6:40 AM

Oct 2012
I guess the wife's smile mean "You should taste my pain as well, so go visit that horrible country"

So fake Kefka died
I guess the country will get destroyed after all, but not with him

I still don't know why the dog can talk, is it because the dog is the.. another child?
There are 2 of them, I'm pretty sure

Apparently the prince thought Kino was a boy??
Because he didn't understand "Not to follow strange man easily"?

But if you can live without eating, you'll not able to taste delicious food
Because hunger is the best seasoning xD
"Signature removed"
Jul 2, 2017 7:09 PM

Jun 2015
Nobody in this thread has delved into it too much, but why does that dog stop talking.

I'm under the impression that it started speaking for the same reason Hermes does (in a parallelism with Kino), and it seemingly stopped once he accomplished his goals (after all he does state he has nothing left to do). I don't think the dog just randomly barks, show makes it clear by adding the last conversation.
Jul 29, 2017 12:51 PM

Nov 2016
Very good episode, Kinos rule is really fair, it's protecting the ones who can't do it themselves and doesn't allow the fist class citizens to continue the massacre without putting their own lifes on the line.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 10, 2017 5:49 AM

Jul 2017
BRO that king needs some SERIOUS therapy. What a jerk! D:

<-- click please <3
🐉 Dragcave Scroll 🐉
🐉 Dragcave Checklist 🐉
Aug 15, 2017 3:00 PM

Nov 2013
What a retarded story for 5 y.o.
Aug 28, 2017 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
Amazing final fight, that shot to the king, FeelsGoodMan.

The rule she made was so smart, no bully for the poor, the travelers will be safe and the first class citizens will have to put their lifes at risk if they want to take the power.
Sep 5, 2017 7:54 PM
Jan 2012
Gvendoline said:
What a retarded story for 5 y.o.
What a rude person.

Fantastic episode, to say that king was messed up would be an understatement.
Dec 22, 2017 2:41 AM
Jun 2013
wow dam this king has mental issues and how old is kino now? It was great seeing the king get axed and kino didn't really fuck up the order of things just changed it up, but I hope no psycho takes over. Also did kino blow the kings head off or was it a bullet to the head. Seems like this sword dude had no real plan and to be honest the whole "revenge isn't good" thing is nonsense. Sometimes a person really deserves payback. Also really kino you wont believe a dog talked when your talking to a dam bike.
Mar 10, 2018 3:57 PM

Oct 2012
The final rule was really weird, it would do no good no matter what. After she met the country where everyone was hanged, I kinda doubt her reasoning. I know she intentionally did that to force the son win the title and end the bloodshed but still, what if some brutal murderer won instead? It would be even worse... Not to mention there had to be tons of new additions to rules from previous citizens but we didn't see any.

The fact that the king killed the lady only because she was in the scene with Kino was also strange. And don't tell me only the king had protective barrier around him when off-shots could easily kill many other people in the arena.

I was expecting she would force his son to surrender for the king to lower the shield again and only kill him after that. And if she ruled that whoever wants to go can go (even slaves) and whoever kills the opponent in fight is disqualified and can't become a king. It would work a lot better in the end.

So it was kinda good ending to this arc but also kinda lackluster.
Mar 24, 2018 7:55 PM

Mar 2013
FMmatron said:
Very good episode, Kinos rule is really fair, it's protecting the ones who can't do it themselves and doesn't allow the fist class citizens to continue the massacre without putting their own lifes on the line.

Yeah, that's what went through my head as well when I saw it. We might uncover that Hermes is only Kino's will materializing itself in words (ie she'd be talking to herself the whole time).

Else, I don't understand how she blocked the sword swing by the Prince with her arm... is she a robot? When did we find out she was carrying metal plates under her jacket?

Come visit the Rec club! Everyone gets confused as to what they want to watch or read next. :T

Here is the Official Rec Club list of Recommendations!
Mar 30, 2018 11:07 PM

Mar 2016
nice mwahahaha evil king s0 d33p
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 9, 2018 5:46 AM

Jul 2008
Ha, revenge can be sweet sometimes.
May 9, 2019 10:47 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Those who question Kino’s decision with the law she made should read some of the insightful comments that were made in this thread (somewhere around page 2).

To sum up what others have said before me, she enforced bloodshed on those who want to fight and be king. If they like violence so much, they should be a part of it. Those who do not want to be a part of this country’s prison-like system can renounce their citizenship and move somewhere else happily. I think this is the best solution for this country to thrive without interfering too much from an outsider’s standpoint.

Initially I was confused with her decision, but read some of the comments here + rewatched the episode and agreed with her sound choice. I thought the better way would be to abolish this killing fest, but I think even that would deteriorate the country in some manner.

I wouldn’t dig too deep with the dog. I think the dog only barking at the end was kinda just showing what Kino had been seeing/hearing. The dog can still talk; only to Hermes and Shizu.
MistyBlueMay 9, 2019 10:56 PM
May 18, 2019 5:57 AM

Jul 2016
I loved this episode, very action packed and entertaining.
May 18, 2019 5:58 AM

Jul 2016
A nice change of pace from the previous episodes.
May 18, 2019 5:59 AM

Jul 2016
Kino is so good, how did she become this strong though? They need to tell me.
Jun 2, 2019 8:40 PM

Aug 2014
episodes 6-7 were amazing.  Great change of pace.
oooo3333Mar 7, 2023 10:43 AM
Dec 28, 2019 9:28 PM

Sep 2017
Man, the writing is definitely starting to slip :/, the first few episodes were great, but ep. 5 was so random and with lazy plotholes, and now this two-part story was just so... generic. It even unintentionally called itself out for being generic by having that joke that went something like "This play takes place at any time in any place". Every character in this tale was a cookie-cutter trope, and the societal structure shown to us this time was way less interesting than the one from episode 1.

I was surprised that Kino decided to interfere so directly in the fate of this country, seemed like her philosophy was more passive up until now.
LordQuazDec 28, 2019 9:31 PM
Feb 25, 2020 8:55 AM
Sep 2019
Not quite sure what happened at the end. The king died, Kino won? How? And why the prince was so surprised when Kino said "I do not travel with strange men?"
Mar 21, 2020 7:58 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well deserved for the king
Nov 8, 2020 9:06 AM

Jun 2010
eyerok said:
TYSM said:
I also wonder why they were unable to understand what the dog was saying by the end of the episode.

because the dog wasn't saying anything :P he was trying to act cute in front of Kino that's why his 'bark' was so unnatural. If he had acted normally then I doubt Kino would've thought he was so cute

The prince (a grown man) asked Kino (a young girl) to travel with him alone which is an outrageous thing to suggest; he presumably did it thinking Kino is a boy. The dog doesn't respond when he asks what Kino meant because he's stunned by the prince's stupidity. Maybe the dog can tell by scent.

I believe the repeated confusion over Kino's sex and her objecting to being called "boy" or "missy" both with "I'm Kino" are meant to emphasize her purity as an observer. Something as basic as sex is ignored as irrelevant. She'll be gone in three days so it really doesn't matter.

There was some nitty-gritty fireaems geekery in this episode; the woman fighter used a Pedersen device to turn her rifle into a sub-machine gun (and it even correctly showed her removing the original bolt to make the conversion), showed that Kino is equipped to cast her own bullets for her revolver as was usual when that old thing was used, and had her use the loading lever (although the gun seemed to be converted to load cartridges) as a handle when firing her special load.
Jan 30, 2021 12:46 PM

Mar 2010
Kings a scumbag. Killing the the girl because she refuse to marry him. So the wife she met didn't warn Kino. Kino killing the King was amazing.
Apr 12, 2021 2:43 AM

Jun 2015
The theme in episode 6 and 7 is about violence as entertainment, the addiction to aggression and vicarious pleasure in spectators, that humans are violent species by nature, violence in sports had become a form of entertainment since the ancient times, and humans still support and enjoy watching violence in blood sports such as bullfighting, hunting, or MMA.
The king never felt joy in his childhood , and he despised his father for being stern and "boring" man who only cared about power and kingdom's economy. The king laughed for the first time after committing parricide because he enjoys the thrill of violence and destruction, but, interestingly, he is also aware of his mental instability, his design and character is somewhat similar to Kefka from final fantasy 6. According to second-class citizens, the economy was good, but the current king was wasting it by holding violent sports; spectators who are wealthy first-class citizens are not much different from the king, as the crowd began booing Kino for not killing her opponent, even though she was the winner; the point at the end was seeing violence rather than harmless fighting sport entertainment. "Kill Him!" yells the crowd at Kino. She smiles and then spares the opponent, purposefully disappointing the audience and the king.
DeagoApr 12, 2021 2:56 AM
Jan 31, 2022 3:12 AM

Aug 2018
That outcome was kinda nice to see, Kino definitely has top tier strategy and gun skills
Feb 3, 2022 6:28 PM

Dec 2018
interesting resolution
make the first class rise to the occasion of being nobility by making them eat their own medicine, and hopefully by the end the new king will want nothing to do with such barbarism and ridiculousness
so it wasn't revenge more so than a measured outcome that would naturally result from having that confluence of rules
another thing, sounds like nobility were already killing each other over rulership for a couple generations, seems an appropriate punishment to have them forced to do it fair and square as opposed to the dark of night
Apr 25, 2022 7:55 AM

Feb 2021
These fights were way better than before
Apr 28, 2022 12:56 AM

Sep 2018
Why is Kino such a fucking badass? XD
Aug 5, 2022 6:30 PM
Sep 2013
Is it the metaphor, strong men beget easy times, easy times beget weak men, weak men beget hard times, hard times beget strong men, that's the cycle of the world.
And who ended up killing the villain was not the "Hero" but Kino, as I already imagined.

PT-BR

Será que é a metáfora,homens fortes geram tempos fáceis, tempos fáceis geram homens fracos, homens fracos criam tempo difíceis, tempos difíceis criam homens fortes, esse é o ciclo do mundo.
E quem acabou matando o vilão não foi o “Heroi” e sim Kino,com já imaginava.
Nov 24, 2022 11:15 AM

Jan 2021
I watched the remake/alternative version before the original.. and the small talk between Kino and Kino (ep 4) and the fight between Kino vs Shizu are my favorites moments as well as episodes.

The remake version alone was good but...right, the original is great.

Dec 12, 2022 2:07 AM

Sep 2017
riku had a good manly voice.

more riku pls

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Feb 17, 2023 8:39 PM
Feb 2023
that episode go deeeeeeeeep
Apr 19, 2023 9:37 AM
Apr 2018
Good riddance to that king. Even though the end was predictable, I still got a justice boner out of it.
From what I got in this episode, Kino is a non-intervention type of character, at least directly. She would try to nudge other characters into her way, but never be the driver of change. The degree to which she would interfere is dependent on the kind of damage inflicted on the person she interacted with, whether it is self-inflicted or a result of external actors. That's why she only fed the first and second railroad guide a biting analogy, but invented a rule that effectively ended the bloody tournament.
Jun 27, 2023 1:08 PM

Nov 2020
Never expected a show like this to have a tournament arc lmao
Jul 4, 2023 7:21 AM

Dec 2022
The king was almost pitiable, in a way. He's clearly haunted by the memory of stabbing his father to death, then he starts grovelling and begging pathetically for either Miss Rose or Kino to marry him because he's aware that he's gone insane and wants to be "saved". Then again, he's also a murderer who offed one of the semifinalists out of anger, so his fate was deserved in the end.

Quite a harsh new rule for deciding the next king, but it is karmic for the first-class citizens. You can hardly completely reform a nation if you only get to add a single rule.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.