Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 14, 2008 11:29 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That's the kind of outcome I was hoping for. Great arc.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 22, 2008 5:36 AM

Jul 2007
What did he shoot? I didnt know revolvers had special abilities like that :P
Oct 16, 2008 8:57 PM

May 2007
About as good as can be expected, the country will have some bad times ahead but the end is going to be okay.
My anime list
Oct 18, 2008 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
if u want to lie, lie better. xD kino's jst so cute ^.^
and for a gunshot that sure was a lot of blood 0_0
Jan 2, 2009 8:52 AM

Dec 2008
I was surprised by Kino's new rule, especially when she said "Revenge doesn't do any good ". Did anyone understand why she commanded more bloodshed?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 8, 2009 9:52 PM

Dec 2007
Great ending to this part. Didnd't expect such a huge shot from Kino @ the king... but I'm glad she did that. :) I wonder why the dog didn't speak anymore in the end, though? Or rather, why they couldnt understand him anymore.
Feb 1, 2009 2:36 AM

Mar 2008
I don't really understand why Kino made the new rule. I'm glad Kino decided to shoot the King, it was something that should have been done.
Feb 8, 2009 2:40 AM

May 2008
Kino is such a loner.;_;

You know Kino, there is such a thing as being too much of a traveler.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jul 17, 2009 12:21 AM

Oct 2008
I think it's fitting that Kino made such a new rule for the 1st class citizens of the country. I also wonder why they were unable to understand what the dog was saying by the end of the episode.
Jul 30, 2009 2:50 AM

Sep 2008
TYSM said:
I think it's fitting that Kino made such a new rule for the 1st class citizens of the country. I also wonder why they were unable to understand what the dog was saying by the end of the episode.

because the dog wasn't saying anything :P he was trying to act cute in front of Kino that's why his 'bark' was so unnatural. If he had acted normally then I doubt Kino would've thought he was so cute
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 8, 2009 3:24 PM
Jun 2008
Yay! The king is dead! He really deserved that =)

Well, about the dog, why didn't it talk to his master when he asked?
Aug 22, 2009 3:36 AM

Apr 2009
Wow Kino is such a badass. She kicked so much butt in these two episodes. Also I find it funny that people think Kino is a male. Even the prince dude at the end couldn't tell.
Sep 12, 2009 5:48 AM

Sep 2008
eyerok said:
TYSM said:

because the dog wasn't saying anything :P he was trying to act cute in front of Kino that's why his 'bark' was so unnatural. If he had acted normally then I doubt Kino would've thought he was so cute

I had a similar question as TYSM... At the end of the episode, when the prince guy asked Riku a question, Riku just barked, and the prince guy was just like "Wha...?" so I got the impression that either the dog couldn't talk anymore or that they couldn't understand the dog anymore...

I thought it was a somewhat fitting rule that Kino demanded that of the first-class citizens. After all, a lot of them became "first-class citizens" by ascending through the ranks of a similar competition, probably killing people to get their citizenship. But then again... it was strange to ask for bloodshed when she avoided it up until the end, when she killed the king...
Sep 12, 2009 2:45 PM

Sep 2008
merle_noir said:
eyerok said:
TYSM said:

I had a similar question as TYSM... At the end of the episode, when the prince guy asked Riku a question, Riku just barked, and the prince guy was just like "Wha...?" so I got the impression that either the dog couldn't talk anymore or that they couldn't understand the dog anymore...

I dont remember him barking when the prince talked to him at the end...I thought the dog was just acting cute :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 4, 2009 5:29 PM

Jan 2009
Kino is just made of GAR.
Nov 24, 2009 2:59 PM

Jun 2009
I wanted Kino with more knife action... oh wells, great win none the less.

I don't really understood why the dog cease speaking in human language...

Only 3 noticed that she's a girl...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2009 12:00 AM

Oct 2009
merle_noir said:
eyerok said:
TYSM said:

I thought it was a somewhat fitting rule that Kino demanded that of the first-class citizens. After all, a lot of them became "first-class citizens" by ascending through the ranks of a similar competition, probably killing people to get their citizenship. But then again... it was strange to ask for bloodshed when she avoided it up until the end, when she killed the king...

lol, it made sense. Kino's not necessarily against violence, she just doesn't want to get entangled in any bad karma or to get tied down to any place. Since all the people in that town are so addicted to violence there's no way they can get rid of killing people overnight - remember the crowd screaming for blood whenever anyone surrendered and the king begging for someone to help because he couldn't stop from killing?

From what I've heard that's true even of serial killers irl, they get addicted to killing and can't stop even if they want to. And then there are all the ex-soldiers who go berserk etc...

So Kino let the bloodthirsty people have their "fun" and set up rules so they wouldn't hurt the innocent. It was a good solution.
May 4, 2010 10:30 AM

Feb 2010
Great conclusion... Loved the rule she installed.
This series is only getting better :)
I'm sad I already finished more than half of the episodes already though :/
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 9, 2010 2:57 PM

Jan 2010
this episode was just made of win :)
i'm glad she killed that crazy-ass king...

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 12, 2010 1:53 PM

Aug 2008
so what does the wife's smiling mean? they didn,t explain :(

but I like this! Kino did a good job :)
Jul 13, 2010 11:23 AM
Feb 2009
This was brilliant.

Killing the king so abruptly shows that he's just another person, nothing makes him exempt; no status. Buildup wasn't necessary.

The fighters not being properly developed was kind of natural, in real life you don't learn about your opponent; or rather the people around you so much

Good arch
Nov 5, 2010 11:49 AM

Aug 2010
That king sure had a lot of blood in him.
Mar 7, 2011 1:04 PM

Jun 2009
Oh, Kino. She really doesn’t want to mingle into others people’s lifestyles. She did all she could so no innocent persons would be implicated, but didn’t try to dramatically change the bloodbath that these citizens (can they be called so?) are used to. I really sympathize with her philosophy.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jun 9, 2011 10:47 AM

Nov 2007
Dammit, there go my Shizu x Kino dreams :P

I'm surprised the King figured out that she's a girl too. Anyway, Kino's fights were awesome once again, and yay for killing that King. Her rule was... interesting, to say the least. I was expecting her to abolish the tournament and the sewage area but I suppose she's thought there violent tendencies through more thoroughly then I did. And I think Riku was just faking not being able to talk. Poor Hermes >:

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Sep 3, 2011 9:48 PM

May 2010
Who was that woman with the white flowers and stuff?? So the prince was the husband??
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 11, 2011 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
Kino enacted the rule because she knew that the 1st class citizens thrived and needed bloodshed just as much as they needed food or water. Her rule was the only solution to that problem...

kino is a badass, i would wife her
Dec 24, 2011 12:16 AM

Mar 2011
Is Kino three feet tall?
Jan 30, 2012 4:35 AM

Feb 2009
Entertaining and meaningful, I love this series. It was kinda obvious that the kid was the prince, but I guess that was never supposed to be a twist. The way the family drama was executed, now that was flawless.
Aug 18, 2012 1:23 AM

Sep 2011
And the curse has been lifted!

Awesome episode, really enjoyed it! :D
Mar 16, 2013 6:05 PM

May 2012
Same comment I had for the last episode, don't think the concept fit correctly in the whole story although the ending sure was interesting! Nice job for Kino he made the right decision!

Good that this part is over though, I wonder what's next!
May 24, 2013 11:46 PM

Jan 2013
^ Boba_Fett this is one of the many cases when your opinion is wrong.

Loved this episode, very funny ending.
May 31, 2013 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
That was a nice arc, I liked Kino's new rule. She should have joined that guy, but I guess she doesn't seem to like developing relationships with people since she's a traveler.
Aug 1, 2013 9:17 PM
Nov 2010
Why did that woman who's husband got killed in the tournament tell Kino it was a wonderful country? Maybe she lost it after seeing her husband die. What a bitch
Aug 10, 2013 10:23 AM

Aug 2010
Props to Kino for killing the king.
Sep 20, 2013 6:43 AM

Oct 2011
Bullet proof glass is nothing compared to a flare gun. I knew the king would end up dead, and it was all for the best.
I like Kino's style, deciding never to change the way the world works just so she can continue on as a traveler and nothing more. She's neither cruel nor caring, just neutral.
Nov 13, 2013 6:48 AM

Jan 2012
is it bad that i liked the crazy king? haha his character was kinda psycho but i loved it, obviously glad that kino shot him! nice wrap up liked this little arc!
Jan 15, 2014 12:51 AM

Aug 2008
Wow. I'm surprised everyone never wondered who was the other sibling of the prince.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Feb 19, 2014 4:52 PM

May 2013
Good riddance to that filthy king.
Mar 20, 2014 11:07 PM

Aug 2013
I think Kino made the new rule just so that country's "tradition" of fighting/killing won't change...at least not changed by her. She could easily just say "there will be no more fighting" but she was never really one who tried to change other people's way of life. I wonder if she also came up with that rule just to punish the first class citizens who were happily cheering for the competitors to kill each other- that and probably a lot of them gained their status by killing other people.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 21, 2014 9:00 PM

Feb 2009
I think Kino had two main reasons for making the rule that she made.

1. By making the rule say that the king had to be elected from the current first class citizen she kills 3 birds with one stone:

a) It means anymore travellers coming to visit won't get involved in the fights.
b) It means the underground poor people won't be drawn into it.
c) It means if the first class citizens want to continue the senseless killing they'll have to put their lives on the line or leave.

2. By making the rule that if you harm any underground citizens you get disqualified this discourages people from harming them. If in the end there is only one first class citizen left and they become the king who will they rule over? Who will move in to take the places of the dead or deserted first class citizens? Why of course the poor people living by the canal. They'll get to move up in society.

I think it was a very well thought out new rule. A lot of people said that it will lead to a lot of bloodshed but that's only if they want to become the king. I think many citizens will leave once it's their own life on the line instead of someone else's fight to the death.

Who knows, maybe they'll realise it's silly to have any type of rule just made off the bat. The lesson is don't follow rules no matter what they are, think about their consequences.
Apr 5, 2014 1:32 AM

Jun 2013
I don't think the dog ever could talk. This universe hasn't had magic or whatever, it has had fantasy elements but nothing stupid like talking animals. I've passed Hermes off as an AI. A talking dog would be unfitting for this show.

That said, I can't think of a reason for Hermes to imagine the dog talking.
Apr 29, 2014 1:03 PM

Apr 2014
kino's a real badass when it comes to fighting
May 5, 2014 7:16 PM
Dec 2012
One is every contestant's motivations for fighting, all diverse, yet all very human. For social mobility. For honor. For family. For the rush. For revenge. And then there's Kino, who witnesses the struggles of the under classes, the depravities of the upper classes, the murder of a surrendered contestant who fought desperately for the sake of her mother, executed on the whims of a mad human king. No doubt revenge was part of the reason why she ended the king's life, but, in breaking with usual stance of merely passing through, she, out of every one of them, sought change.

And so, being the victor, she got the law she wanted, safety to travelers, safety to the under classes, but the most important provision of that law is the final that I didn't mention: that of kingly succession. If one of the upper classes wanted to take the throne for oneself, they'd have to fight for it until one remains. A twisted sense of satisfaction can be derived from it, perhaps, but what probably is the true aim of this new law is that it causes consumers of gladiatorial violence in this country to confront the horrors they've been subjecting others to for their own amusement, by making themselves the entertainment, should they desire the crown.
Jun 9, 2014 8:18 PM

Apr 2014
Woah. Kino could be cruel at a times, considering she is a girl ...........
Among any other girl I had seen at animes, she has the best character

Is it just me or I heard some of Yume Nikki OSTs here ?
SeasonLeavesJun 9, 2014 8:26 PM
Jun 19, 2014 6:38 PM

Nov 2012
I think the rule Kino made up is kinda weird. since she witnessed the under class citizens suffering, she sympathize with them, and the travelers have nothing to do with it. but to hell with the 1st class citizens?! i don't quite get why she did that!

A good, refreshing couple of episodes of Kino's being a total badass.

4/5
Jun 30, 2014 11:59 AM
Jan 2010
I cannot stand that fucking bike's voice. It's seriously putting me off watching this show.
Aug 3, 2014 1:54 AM

Aug 2012
fedaykin said:
I was surprised by Kino's new rule, especially when she said "Revenge doesn't do any good ". Did anyone understand why she commanded more bloodshed?

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. But she also could have spared the three thugs from the second episode in which case the lives of the rabbits wouldn't have been wasted. So maybe it's because as she said "because we are only human". She is just a girl after all.
Aug 5, 2014 5:11 PM

Dec 2012
The king is crazy, good riddance. Lol Hermes and the dog arguing xD

Great episode.
Aug 11, 2014 5:48 AM

Dec 2012
Good episode kino's new rule was cunning. Riku not talking at the end is bugging the hell out of me. I want to say kino did something when she was petting riku. I know she knew riku could talk by the conversation she had with hermes at the end but i don't know what the purpose would be to disable riku from talking. Oh well time to move on.
TylerEBBYAug 11, 2014 5:51 AM
Feb 13, 2015 9:53 AM
Feb 2015
Okay, so here's what I don't get. The King kills Kino's opponent for surrendering, but not the other guy who surrendered? Why? Was he jealous because she wouldn't be his wife?
It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.